Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skill players surrounding Andy
Not talking line, but WR, RB, TE

The flash.

We have by my count: 3 First Rounders and 4 Second Round Picks at Andy's disposal. Andy himself a early 2nd Round Pick #35 - Leave him out of it tho.

---------

2 First round WRs, a top 5 and top 10 pick. AJ and Ross

1 Slot WR - Second Round Pick - Boyd Pick # 55

1st Round TE - Eifert Pick # 21

And a stable of 3 RBs all taken in the second round.

Gio* - Pick 37
Hill - Pick 55
Mixon - Pick 48

All of these guys are under the age of 28, High value picks.

Is there a team in the NFL with more age-prime, 1st and 2nd round skill players? I cant think of anyone off the top of my head. Should be a great offensive year. I wish Andy could do more on his own, so a few of these above picks could have been spent on D.

*Coming off injury
Reply/Quote
It would be nice if everyone could play a whole year together. 2015 was the only year that we had Green/Eifert for (practically) the whole year healthy. Every other year we have had major injuries on offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
you can give him all the skill players you want, but if he has no time for the play to develop, it means nothing.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 06:09 PM)Gohards Wrote: you can give him all the skill players you want, but if he has no time for the play to develop, it means nothing.

Historically he has had a tremendous OL. 

Last year was awful, but he has had a very good OL most seasons 
Reply/Quote
It's not like we have a bunch of UDFAs blocking for him either. We have two 1st rounders, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. If they can liv up to their draft status this O could be prolific.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
2014 and 2016 his skill players were banged up and decimated by the end of the year.

2015 everyone stayed relatively healthy and he was having a MVP caliber season before he was injured. The team was 10-1 at that point.

2017 is here and the offense is arguably more loaded than 2015. Makes me highly optimistic. Once again we are back to the tired off-season question of, "Will the O Line show up?"
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 05:20 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Not talking line, but WR, RB, TE

The flash.

We have by my count:  3 First Rounders and 4 Second Round Picks at Andy's disposal.  Andy himself a early 2nd Round Pick  #35 - Leave him out of it tho.

---------

2 First round WRs, a top 5 and top 10 pick.  AJ and Ross

1 Slot WR - Second Round Pick - Boyd   Pick # 55

1st Round TE  - Eifert   Pick # 21

Gio*  - Pick 37
Hill - Pick 55
Mixon - Pick 48

Is there a team in the NFL with more age-prime, 1st and 2nd round skill players? I cant think of anyone off the top of my head.   Should be a great offensive year.  I wish Andy could do more on his own, so a few of these above picks could have been spent on D.

*Coming off injury

You are just assuming that these picks have played to their draft level and have stayed healthy, we know that is not true... 

Hill: 1 solid year, 2 bad years
Gio: solid but hurt and had rough year last year
Mixon and Ross: Yet to play
Eifert: more game hurt than played
Boyd: good start for 1 year

Now take our best year so far with Andy 2015, Eifert and AJ healthy playing, Gio solid.. we are heading towards division possible home field advantage then Andy gets hurt...  so we could say if Andy just could have stayed healthy finally with a team playing healthy we were looking awesome.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 06:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not like we have a bunch of UDFAs blocking for him either. We have two 1st rounders, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. If they can liv up to their draft status this O could be prolific.

It is way more than living up to draft status.. health of your top players, also FO decisions on playing tackles out of position have added to our lack of performance especially last year... I look at Smith though on back side of his career less as a #1 pick and actually he had three seasons where he played at 1st round level for the Bengals.. if he can just play solid at guard it will be a success, Bodine has to still improve from his 4th round pick, Boling played decent last year, I feel confident the two tackles will play better this year but they have to really move the bar to play up to their level of draft pick
Reply/Quote
The o-line is a huge concern but we also need Boyd to improve, Gio to get healthy, Eifert to stay healthy and the top 2 rookies to contribute to get back to 2015 form.

There are some obstacles but I'm hopeful.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 05:20 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Not talking line, but WR, RB, TE

The flash.

We have by my count:  3 First Rounders and 4 Second Round Picks at Andy's disposal.  Andy himself a early 2nd Round Pick  #35 - Leave him out of it tho.

---------

2 First round WRs, a top 5 and top 10 pick.  AJ and Ross

1 Slot WR - Second Round Pick - Boyd   Pick # 55

1st Round TE  - Eifert   Pick # 21

Gio*  - Pick 37
Hill - Pick 55
Mixon - Pick 48

Is there a team in the NFL with more age-prime, 1st and 2nd round skill players? I cant think of anyone off the top of my head.   Should be a great offensive year.  I wish Andy could do more on his own, so a few of these above picks could have been spent on D.

*Coming off injury
Not sure what you mean, when say, you wish Andy could do more on his own?
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 06:09 PM)Gohards Wrote: you can give him all the skill players you want, but if he has no time for the play to develop, it means nothing.

Yup, we have 1st and 2nd round picks everywhere except where we need them. But I still have this gut feeling that we are going to be a juggernaut offense.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2017, 12:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not sure what you mean, when say, you wish Andy could do more on his own?

He could do a lot more.   You inability to see his weaknesses is troubling  
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2017, 06:20 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: He could do a lot more.   You inability to see his weaknesses is troubling  

ohhh shit! Popcorn

Reply/Quote
Ill Bite.

Jaguars (2016)

Blake Bortles Rnd 1
Marcedes Lewis Rnd 1
Allen Robinson Rnd 2
TJ Yeldon Rnd 2
Marqise Lee Rnd 2

Julius Thomas...Rnd 4 but come on gotta mention Thomas.

Upon Further Review Draft Status Doesnt win Football games.

Edit: I can do the patriots next that one will really mess with your head loll
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Grading players on when they were drafted in college has always been misleading. Plenty of really great college players fizzle out before their first year in the NFL. A lot of high draft picks are chosen incorrectly anyway. I think that's where the phrase 'reaching' comes from. If it were all about 1st round talent the Cleveland Browns should have won the super bowl for the past 10 years and we know how that went.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 03:27 AM)grampahol Wrote: Grading players on when they were drafted in college has always been misleading. Plenty of really great college players fizzle out before their first year in the NFL. A lot of high draft picks are chosen incorrectly anyway. I think that's where the phrase 'reaching' comes from. If it were all about 1st round talent the Cleveland Browns should have won the super bowl for the past 10 years and we know how that went.  

And there you have it. The road always leads back to coaching.

Reply/Quote
Draft status no longer matters the moment training camp begins.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 03:27 AM)grampahol Wrote: Grading players on when they were drafted in college has always been misleading. Plenty of really great college players fizzle out before their first year in the NFL. A lot of high draft picks are chosen incorrectly anyway. I think that's where the phrase 'reaching' comes from. If it were all about 1st round talent the Cleveland Browns should have won the super bowl for the past 10 years and we know how that went.  

How many top 10 draft picks did we have in the 90's and early 00's ? How'd that work out ?
Reply/Quote
Maybe instead of giving him two top 10 WRs, a 2nd round WR, a 1st round TE, a 3rd round TE, and three 2nd round RBs, the Bengals should have invested 1-2 of those picks into a first or second round interior OL (preferably C).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 06:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not like we have a bunch of UDFAs blocking for him either. We have two 1st rounders, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. If they can liv up to their draft status this O could be prolific.

Who was the 3rd rounder?
Ogbuehi, Smith = 1st rounders
Fisher = 2nd rounder
Boling, Bodine = 4th rounders

Eric Winston was a 3rd rounder though, so maybe you meant him?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote