Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skill players surrounding Andy
(07-23-2017, 10:51 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The truth is, every team spends lots of picks trying to surround their QB with talent. It's an offensive minded league. 

Other truth is, by comparison on the field, he's about 14th...i'd say anywhere from 10-14 when you break it down from '11-'16, '13-'16 and '15-'16. 

All QBs who qualify in these time frames.
'11-'16 (min 1800 pass attempts)
starts- 3rd
comp-10th
att -9th
cmp%-12th 
yds- 10th
tds- 9th
ints-15th (least amount)
rate-13th

'13-'16 (min 1200 pass attempts)
starts-3rd
comp-10th
att -11th
cmp%-12th
yds- 10th
tds- 14th
ints-16th (least amount)
rate-14th

'15-'16 (min 600 pass attempts)
starts-15th
comp-19th
att -21st
cmp%-10th
yds- 16th
tds- 18th
ints- 5th (least amount)
rate- 7th

Always a ***** when those pesky facts come out and bust up a weak troll job..... LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 11:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good points about the affect of a 2nd vertical threat (Chad and Green could both get deep too, but it's the 2nd deep threat that really opens things). That said, I don't see Boyd as a new Housh. We've had 3 "new Housh's" since the old Housh and none were nearly as good as the original. I do think Ross will be far better than Henry...who was really a one-trick-pony and not very productive.

A lot of it comes down to the line, but like you said, maybe the presence of a guy like Ross will help open things up.

I have every confidence that Ross will open up a lot for this offense...he just needs to be as savvy running routes and have the clutch hands.  

Remember Housh wasn't Housh for the first few years of his career, and he flourished when he was opposite Chad and Henry was on the field.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 12:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have every confidence that Ross will open up a lot for this offense...he just needs to be as savvy running routes and have the clutch hands.  

Remember Housh wasn't Housh for the first few years of his career, and he flourished when he was opposite Chad and Henry was on the field.  

Nothing against Boyd, it's more that I respect what Housh was (the best #2 WR in team history). There's a reason why we're still talking about "the next Housh" 10 years later. I hope Boyd can get there. We'll see. For now, I'm just wondering how he's going to get significant targets/snaps with Green, LaFell and Ross there. Not to mention Eifert and the RB's eating targets...and it's not like we pass a ton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 10:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nothing against Boyd, it's more that I respect what Housh was (the best #2 WR in team history). There's a reason why we're still talking about "the next Housh" 10 years later. I hope Boyd can get there. We'll see. For now, I'm just wondering how he's going to get significant targets/snaps with Green, LaFell and Ross there. Not to mention Eifert and the RB's eating targets...and it's not like we pass a ton.

I kept wondering the same thing, but then I think..."The offense won't be turning the ball over as much" and they will have longer, sustained drives.  I simply can't wait.  And I don't know what I think will be better...the offense or the defense.  

Maybe that should be a poll...I think I am actually leaning toward the offense.  The defense will stuff the likes of the NFL North (except Green Bay) but pitt has a tough offense.  I don't know.  It will be fun watching!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 10:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nothing against Boyd, it's more that I respect what Housh was (the best #2 WR in team history). There's a reason why we're still talking about "the next Housh" 10 years later. I hope Boyd can get there. We'll see. For now, I'm just wondering how he's going to get significant targets/snaps with Green, LaFell and Ross there. Not to mention Eifert and the RB's eating targets...and it's not like we pass a ton.

We actually passed the ball a decent amount when Green was healthy. Dalton averaged 36 attempts a game until Green went down. The only game that he had less than 30 attempts in our first 8 games was against Cleveland when our run game decided to show up. I really think that Zampese will pass a lot more than we are used to this year now that we have a decent amount of receivers.

That being said.... Boyd is no Housh, but I still think that he will be a very solid target for Dalton. Probably having 600-700 yards a year if Zampese passes as much as I think he will.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 08:59 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: We actually passed the ball a decent amount when Green was healthy. Dalton averaged 36 attempts a game until Green went down. The only game that he had less than 30 attempts in our first 8 games was against Cleveland when our run game decided to show up. I really think that Zampese will pass a lot more than we are used to this year now that we have a decent amount of receivers.

That being said.... Boyd is no Housh, but I still think that he will be a very solid target for Dalton. Probably having 600-700 yards a year if Zampese passes as much as I think he will.

You remove the only receiver who gets quick separation (Green) from a team with a bad OL (our OL was bad in 2016) the OC has no choice but alter the game plan. I would be shocked if we did not throw the ball 35 to 40 times a game in 2017 unless our running games starts producing 150 yards a game rushing consistently.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Skill players aren't the issue. This year firmly rests on the offensive line. Unfortunately it's probably not going to be pretty.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 08:59 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: We actually passed the ball a decent amount when Green was healthy. Dalton averaged 36 attempts a game until Green went down. The only game that he had less than 30 attempts in our first 8 games was against Cleveland when our run game decided to show up. I really think that Zampese will pass a lot more than we are used to this year now that we have a decent amount of receivers.

Rankings in passing attempts since 2011:

2011- 20th
2012- 19th
2013- 12th
2014- 25th
2015- 26th
2016- 20th

Now you can argue that attempts were on the low side for various reasons. In 2011 Dalton was a rookie. In '14 and '16, we had a ton of injuries at receiver. In '15, Dalton missed 4 games. I think attempts will be much closer to 12th this year, but that still isn't "passing a ton". When I said that, I was thinking about the top 5 teams...think Lions, Saints and Falcons. Marvin has always tried to be more balanced...even when the run game isn't getting it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing 600+ attempts with all these receivers...but no Marvin team has ever passed more than 590 times (2010). 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 12:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I kept wondering the same thing, but then I think..."The offense won't be turning the ball over as much" and they will have longer, sustained drives.  I simply can't wait.  And I don't know what I think will be better...the offense or the defense.  

Maybe that should be a poll...I think I am actually leaning toward the offense.  The defense will stuff the likes of the NFL North (except Green Bay) but pitt has a tough offense.  I don't know.  It will be fun watching!

Yeah, we should start a poll, I am definately leaning toward the Defense myself. I love the depth on D.

Offensively i think we will be much better this year in both the Red Zone and in the running game.

The O-line will take a bit to get that chemistry going but they should be good by midseason to make that run to the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 12:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Rankings in passing attempts since 2011:

2011- 20th
2012- 19th
2013- 12th
2014- 25th
2015- 26th
2016- 20th

Now you can argue that attempts were on the low side for various reasons. In 2011 Dalton was a rookie. In '14 and '16, we had a ton of injuries at receiver. In '15, Dalton missed 4 games. I think attempts will be much closer to 12th this year, but that still isn't "passing a ton". When I said that, I was thinking about the top 5 teams...think Lions, Saints and Falcons. Marvin has always tried to be more balanced...even when the run game isn't getting it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing 600+ attempts with all these receivers...but no Marvin team has ever passed more than 590 times (2010). 

560 would probably be an optimal number. I showed some stats around '13 or '14 about how Dalton performs per pass attempts per game and his best numbers were usually when he threw 30-34 times a game. 

560 would be a 35 per game average. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 10:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 560 would probably be an optimal number. I showed some stats around '13 or '14 about how Dalton performs per pass attempts per game and his best numbers were usually when he threw 30-34 times a game. 

560 would be a 35 per game average. 

Sadly, I remember that. LOL

I kinda think some of those numbers could be affected by situations. For example, teams obviously pass more when behind, and opponents throw out more nickel and dime, which could make numbers worse as attempts rise. That said, I'd love to see you give an update on that. If you don't have time, I may do something next week.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 01:24 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sadly, I remember that. LOL

I kinda think some of those numbers could be affected by situations. For example, teams obviously pass more when behind, and opponents throw out more nickel and dime, which could make numbers worse as attempts rise. That said, I'd love to see you give an update on that. If you don't have time, I may do something next week.

No doubt the higher the pass attempts, the more likely they're behind--since their (seemingly) goal is a balanced attack--most of the time. 

I did find the file on my PC so when i get some time i'll probably update it to add '14-'16. I doubt it will change much, if at all, but i do love to crunch numbers so what the hell. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote