Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skill set for back up RBs
if we really are going to pound the ball with Hill this year, then we will need a back up RB with some size. And I don't mean Hewitt. I mean a 230+ guy who can carry the ball if Hill goes down.

Terrell Watson....6'1", 242
Mark Weisman..5'11", 242
James Wilder......6'1", 240

What do you guys think?
Reply/Quote
Wilder is a beast...He makes the roster and takes on some late game snaps this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: if we really are going to pound the ball with Hill this year, then we will need a back up RB with some size.  And I don't mean Hewitt.  I mean a 230+ guy who can carry the ball if Hill goes down.

Mark Weisman..5'11", 242

What do you guys think?

Why does the guy have to be 230+?

Wouldn't it just need to be someone capable of carrying the ball multiple times?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:13 PM)wizbiz Wrote: Wilder is a beast...He makes the roster and takes on some late game snaps this year.

Did you really use beast to describe a PS player?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 05:02 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Did you really use beast to describe a PS player?

Yeah he's a bit over excited about a player lol.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
Bernard and Burkhead aren't good enough because they don't weigh enough? Maybe they should let Peko carry the load since weight is the determining factor in how well a RB can "carry the load."

Seriously though, Lesean McCoy weighs 2 lbs. less than Gio. I don't think that a "big back" is necessary.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 06:57 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Bernard and Burkhead aren't good enough because they don't weigh enough?  Maybe they should let Peko carry the load since weight is the determining factor in how well a RB can "carry the load."

Seriously though, Lesean McCoy weighs 2 lbs. less than Gio.  I don't think that a "big back" is necessary.

Actually, McCoy weighs 215 and Bernard weighs 202.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoLe01.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BernGi00.htm

So McCoy outweighs Gio by 12-13 lbs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: if we really are going to pound the ball with Hill this year, then we will need a back up RB with some size.  And I don't mean Hewitt.  I mean a 230+ guy who can carry the ball if Hill goes down.

Mark Weisman..5'11", 242

What do you guys think?

1. James Wilder......6'1", 240
2. Terrell Watson....6'1", 242

But there will only be one though.

I do agree that Bernard has a different role and backup power runner ain't it. Bernard will be the obvious passing down RB and get a few series a game as the featured RB. Hill is the clear cut starting RB. I'd prefer that if Hill goes down that whoever his backup is would get the bulk of the carries and Bernard would keep the same role.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Mark Weisman..5'11", 242

What do you guys think?
Three back set posted in Stripe Hype
by David Petrocelli 11h ago

The Cincinnati Bengals have done a nice job over the past few years to assemble a backfield with the potential to be dominant.  Lead by sophomore Jeremy Hill, the Bengals have their “bell cow” back to lead the team’s power running system.  Hill finished 2014 posting 1,124 yards (on 222 attempts) and nine touchdowns, yet he spent much of the year as the team’s primary backup to Giovani Bernard.  When starting, Hill rushed like he was meant to be one of the best.  Adding to his potential, Hill caught 27 passes for 215 yards and seven first downs.  He’s a dual-threat running back who is also big enough to withstand the rigors of playing in the NFL.
Backup Giovani Bernard is basically a misnomer.  Bernard is a highly talented, dual-threat running back who is capable of breaking big time runs.

He was born to play in a dynamic role.  Having him run the ball 18-20 times per game would only serve to limit his potential as an offensive weapon.  When given solid blocking, Bernard is able to hit the hole, and from there, anything is possible. Getting 10 carries a game is perfect. Meanwhile, the other 5-10 touches should come in the form of receptions.
Bernard can be a devastating receiver.  Catching passes in space allows this third-year running back to capitalize on his greatest assets: speed and agility.  Bernard’s tackle avoiding moves keeps him free of bodies that serve to slow him down.  And once he hits the defense’s third level, it may as well be over, as Bernard is big enough to break tackles from members of the secondary.  Giovani Bernard is one of the league’s best up-and-coming weapons and is worthy of being called one of the league’s best “reserves” if that is how he must be labeled.
The Bengals’ backfield includes fullback Ryan Hewitt.  Hewitt had an excellent rookie campaign, one so good that his team already considers him amongst the league’s best.  He is a great blocker in space and has soft hands to boot.  His presence forces defense to respect the run, which opens up the field for play-action passes.  Having another year like 2014 means Hewitt could demand more snaps in the coming season.
Rounding out the group is increasingly looking like running back Rex Burkhead.  Burkhead impressed coaches with his work ethic during practices over his first two seasons.  Last year when injuries struck the team, Burkhead was kept on the game day roster and produced despite his limited opportunities.  He managed to block a Jaguars’ punt with a nice outside-inside move in Week Nine.
Burkhead impressed so much that he earned the opportunity to produce in the team’s playoff game, albeit again due to injury.  He ran for a 23-yard gain in the early part of the game, caught three passes for 34 yards, and even lined up as a tight end.
This year, the Bengals have already started to experiment with Burkhead in the slot as a receiver.  Burkhead’s presence creates a crowded backfield, so what will the Bengals do to involve all these players in the offense?  How about utilizing the three-back sets?
Cincinnati Bengals
[/url]
Stripe Hype 8h
Bengals Break: Bengals' Three-Back Set, Reds Redeem
[url=http://stripehype.com/2015/06/08/bengals-break-bengals-three-back-set-reds-redeem/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=TeamNews]
MORE HEADLINES AROUND FANSIDED:
9h - Can Andrew Whitworth Earn Another Co11h - Bengals' Three-Back Set Could Be Vit1d - Fantasy Football Mock Draft 1.01d - Bengals' Mike Nugent: Is He the Righ1d - Bengals Break: Fantasy Football Valu
More News at Stripe Hype
When employing this set, the Bengals could have any combination of these four backs on the field at the same time.  Regardless of the specific combination of backs, the set would offer the offense a litany of options.  What does a defense do when Hill, Bernard, and Hewitt are on the field.  All three players can catch the ball, yet the team could execute a power running play by lining up Hill behind Hewitt.  The team could also run the option play or a play-action pass.  The defense would have to defend the short part of the field out of respect for the runs and screen pass. This would open up the deep part of the field for A.J. Green and, let’s say, Tyler Eifert up the seam (it could also be Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, or rookie tight end Tyler Kroft).
If the Bengals wanted to include Rex Burkhead, they could still run similar options, yet demand the defense’s attention in a different way.  Burkhead would be a better blocker than Bernard, would be more of a dynamic threat than Hewitt, and could act in Hill’s role if necessary.  The team would enjoy different options, yet have the talent on the field to remain equally as effective.
Utilizing the three-back set would allow the Bengals to confound defenses and, hence, open up options for players all over the field.  Each of these three players demands that defenses “push up” in an effort to account for their presence in the backfield, which would open up the field for two receivers.
The unit would also have the man power to deal with an eight-man defensive front; and few defenses would dare to let A.J. Green go one-on-one against a cornerback meaning whoever is lucky enough to be the second receiver would automatically be one-on-one with his defender.  Hue Jackson would love exploiting that opportunity with his dynamic group of weapons.
The dynamism of the offense would be compelling and could control the clock in an effort to rest the defense, so everybody wins.  It seems the three-back set could be vital for the Bengals in 2015.
Reply/Quote
Burkhead backs up Gio
One of the 3 big ones backs up Hill.
One plays FB.
Hewitt plays more TE3/HB than FB.
Reply/Quote

Mark Weisman..5'11", 242

What do you guys think?

What do I think?  I think they are ****** if Hill goes down, and they are counting on those guys.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 09:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Actually, McCoy weighs 215 and Bernard weighs 202.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoLe01.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BernGi00.htm

So McCoy outweighs Gio by 12-13 lbs.

Must've been looking at outdated measurements.  Still I think that a Gio/Burkhead backfield would be preferable to just throwing out some guy because he weighs more...unless one of those aforementioned guys proves to be really good.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 10:50 PM)jason Wrote: What do I think?  I think they are ***** if Hill goes down, and they are counting on those guys.

I agree. No disrespect to Wilder, Watson or Weisman but none of those guys are anywhere near Jeremy Hill's level.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 07:02 PM)tenacious-B Wrote: I agree. No disrespect to Wilder, Watson or Weisman but none of those guys are anywhere near Jeremy Hill's level.

Agreed.  None of them may even make an NFL roster.

If Wilder had a different last name no one would think much of him at all.  He barely even got to carry the ball at FSU.
Reply/Quote