Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Slater over Sewell
(02-08-2021, 10:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I like Dasrrisaw more than Slater. I think NY will take Sewell and if somehow we can trade down a couple of spots, I'd be writing Darrisaw's name on my card.

I like Darrisaw alot too. My dream scenario would be that someone takes Sewell ahead of us, and someone else takes a WR leaving one of the top 3 QBs on the board when our pick arrives at 5. At that point, a QB hungry team like SF (12th pick) comes to us for pick 5. We trade down, get some more picks, and take Darrisaw at 12. I would have a hard time containing an orgasm if that happened.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2021, 10:56 AM)Beaker Wrote: I like Darrisaw alot too. My dream scenario would be that someone takes Sewell ahead of us, and someone else takes a WR leaving one of the top 3 QBs on the board when our pick arrives at 5. At that point, a QB hungry team like SF (12th pick) comes to us for pick 5. We trade down, get some more picks, and take Darrisaw at 12. I would have a hard time containing an orgasm if that happened.

PervertClapping
Reply/Quote
Sewell's ceiling: Around Andrew Whitworth.  All-pro potential.
Sewell's floor: An OK starting guard

Slater's ceiling: Around Kelvin Beachum.  Pretty good OT.
Slater's floor: Ogbuei-ish.  Might get ragdolled and out physical-ed if he can't keep meat on his frame.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2021, 11:34 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Sewell's ceiling: Around Andrew Whitworth.  All-pro potential.
Sewell's floor: An OK starting guard

Slater's ceiling: Around Kelvin Beachum.  Pretty good OT.
Slater's floor: Ogbuei-ish.  Might get ragdolled and out physical-ed if he can't keep meat on his frame.

I love Whit, he’s a top 5 favorite Bengal of all time for me, but I see Sewell’s ceiling even higher than that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 02:10 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Slater is easily the more technically sound player. Sewell ur relying on upside. By that logic slater would easily be the better player day 1.
I know we have a new line coach and he could help Sewell reach his potential but, with our luck, Sewell would be a complete bust and never reach anywhere near his potential.  
(02-13-2021, 10:56 AM)Beaker Wrote: I like Darrisaw alot too. My dream scenario would be that someone takes Sewell ahead of us, and someone else takes a WR leaving one of the top 3 QBs on the board when our pick arrives at 5. At that point, a QB hungry team like SF (12th pick) comes to us for pick 5. We trade down, get some more picks, and take Darrisaw at 12. I would have a hard time containing an orgasm if that happened.

Last sentence made me laugh out loud  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

I threw out that possibility in another thread of a QB needy team offering us a lot to get their guy and then we could still get Darrisaw but he just makes me so nervous because his evaluations are either love or hate and there's no real middle ground.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 02:08 AM)Jpoore Wrote: U would be wrong. Sewell is gonna be good. So is slater. So are a bunch of olineman this year for that matter. Sewell won’t be a hall of famer like many are projecting

Sewell has hall of fame potential,  build,  game tape   .    Slater looks like a left guard playing tackle.     Darrisaw is my number 2 tackle after Sewell.    He had an amazing year n his tape shows possible pro bowl type player .  I would not mind Darrisaw at 5 if they went that route, but I still like Wirf from Tampa Bay a lot more and he went around pick 10 last year...
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:58 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Sewell has hall of fame potential,  build,  game tape   .    Slater looks like a left guard playing tackle.     Darrisaw is my number 2 tackle after Sewell.    He had an amazing year n his tape shows possible pro bowl type player .  I would not mind Darrisaw at 5 if they went that route, but I still like Wirf from Tampa Bay a lot more and he went around pick 10 last year...

Feel the same about Darrisaw over Slater. Sewell then Darrisaw are my picks at 5 if we go OL.

Slater is versatile but still he worries me strength wise.

Would be all for gettin Daryl Williams, Rick Wagner, or Thuney in FA now that Moton is likely to be tagged.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 04:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same about Darrisaw over Slater. Sewell then Darrisaw are my picks at 5 if we go OL.

Slater is versatile but still he worries me strength wise.

I keep forgetting about Wirf. 

Would be all for getting him, Daryl Williams, Rick Wagner, or Thuney in FA now that Moton is likely to be tagged.

Tristan Wirfs was drafted by Tampa last year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 05:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Tristan Wirfs was drafted by Tampa last year. 

Yeah, he's not going anywhere for at least another 4 years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 05:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Tristan Wirfs was drafted by Tampa last year. 

My bad, thanks. No wonder he hasn't been mentioned lol
Reply/Quote
I just get the feeling that this narrative that Slater is better than Sewell is being pushed by the media so Penei doesn't get drafted by one of the more favourable teams, instead of perennial bottom feeders. If Sewell there at 5 and we don't draft him. Then we should build a huge wicker man and burn the front office in it.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 06:18 PM)Qb7boomer Wrote: I just get the feeling that this narrative that Slater is better than Sewell is being pushed by the media so Penei doesn't get drafted by one of the more favourable teams, instead of perennial  bottom feeders. If Sewell there at 5 and we don't draft him. Then we should build a huge wicker man and burn the front office in it.

YOu mean, unless Chase is available   Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 06:18 PM)Qb7boomer Wrote: I just get the feeling that this narrative that Slater is better than Sewell is being pushed by the media so Penei doesn't get drafted by one of the more favourable teams, instead of perennial  bottom feeders. If Sewell there at 5 and we don't draft him. Then we should build a huge wicker man and burn the front office in it.

Well, it was Jpoore who started this thread. He always has his own ideas come this time of year that most are skeptical of.

Sewell is hands down the best Lineman in this Draft though, you take him if he is there. Cause yeah, if he is there and we don't take 
him we will be the laughing stock of the NFL, even more so. If Sewell is gone either take Pitts or Chase or trade back. After Sewell 
the next 3 OT's are kind of take your pick players. You can make an argument for Slater, Darrisaw or Eichenberg.

Or if we like Vera-Tucker we could grab him at Guard. I am all for getting more picks if Sewell is gone at 5.
Reply/Quote

If we can see Sewell, Pitts and Chase all go before we pick that would be great as then we certainly can move back, take Darrisaw and pick up another pick in round 2 and maybe get a 4th tossed in depending on the team that moves up.

Darrisaw in 1, and then you get a  two high quality guys in round 2 at either G, WR, CB, or Edge. If really could be a quick up tick in the win column if they play this draft right.

The last mock I tried with doing this trade with San Fran, I got their 1st 12, their 2nd and a 4th for them to move up.

Landed Darrisaw, Rondale Moore and Joseph Assai with the first 3 picks. That would certainly help the team out.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:58 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Sewell has hall of fame potential,  build,  game tape   .    Slater looks like a left guard playing tackle.     Darrisaw is my number 2 tackle after Sewell.    He had an amazing year n his tape shows possible pro bowl type player .  I would not mind Darrisaw at 5 if they went that route, but I still like Wirf from Tampa Bay a lot more and he went around pick 10 last year...

Wirfs went 13th, but you can't really compare draft classes like that.
This draft class only has around 5 elite prospects: Lawrence, Sewell, Chase, Pitts, and maybe 1-2 other QBs. The defensive prospects are especially suspect. So someone like Slater or Darrisaw could go higher than 10 because of the weakness of the other prospects.
Wirfs and probably 2-3 other OTs from last year's draft class would all probably be ahead of Slater and Darrisaw if they were in the same class.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Draft Sewell at 5 if he’s not there trade back and take slater or darrisaw. It’s simple stuff
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 12:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wirfs went 13th, but you can't really compare draft classes like that.
This draft class only has around 5 elite prospects: Lawrence, Sewell, Chase, Pitts, and maybe 1-2 other QBs. The defensive prospects are especially suspect. So someone like Slater or Darrisaw could go higher than 10 because of the weakness of the other prospects.
Wirfs and probably 2-3 other OTs from last year's draft class would all probably be ahead of Slater and Darrisaw if they were in the same class.

Yea, unfortunately for us, we needed an OT in the wrong year, at least relative to last season.

If I were to rank the OTs from this class and last class, I think Sewell is above all of them, but then Slater would be after Thomas, Wirfs and Wills. Becton may be behind Slater as a prospect since there was a question of whether he could play LT, but I think Becton is regarded better now than prior to the 2020 draft, so I think many teams would take Becton over Slater today.

Fortunately for us, I think this OT class is deeper than last year's, since after the top 4 of 2020 were Austin Jackson, Isaiah Wilson, Ezra Cleveland, Josh Jones, Lucas Niang and Matt Peart, none of whom I think are better than Slater, Darrisaw, Jenkins, Radunz, Eichenburg, Mayfield or Cosmi, with the possible exception of Jackson being somewhere in the middle if he fulfils his potential.

So if we don't get Sewell and cannot trade down to get Slater or Darrisaw, I think it's conceivable to wait until the 2nd round to grab a Jenkins, Mayfield or Radunz at 38. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 02:05 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, unfortunately for us, we needed an OT in the wrong year, at least relative to last season.

If I were to rank the OTs from this class and last class, I think Sewell is above all of them, but then Slater would be after Thomas, Wirfs and Wills. Becton may be behind Slater as a prospect since there was a question of whether he could play LT, but I think Becton is regarded better now than prior to the 2020 draft, so I think many teams would take Becton over Slater today.

Fortunately for us, I think this OT class is deeper than last year's, since after the top 4 of 2020 were Austin Jackson, Isaiah Wilson, Ezra Cleveland, Josh Jones, Lucas Niang and Matt Peart, none of whom I think are better than Slater, Darrisaw, Jenkins, Radunz, Eichenburg, Mayfield or Cosmi, with the possible exception of Jackson being somewhere in the middle if he fulfils his potential.

So if we don't get Sewell and cannot trade down to get Slater or Darrisaw, I think it's conceivable to wait until the 2nd round to grab a Jenkins, Mayfield or Radunz at 38. 

I don;t think you ever know how well I class is till after they start playing... also the pandemic I believe puts a bit of a damper on this draft .. but even the top 10 of last year, 1/2   did not perform at  the level of elite can't miss rookies, some underperformed rookie years :  Tua, Jeudy, Henderson, Okudah, Thomas and even Brown and Simmons had seasons that were solid but still maybe below expectations.   So to me Slater and Darrisaw can't just be passed over in top 10
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 03:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t think you ever know how well I class is till after they start playing... also the pandemic I believe puts a bit of a damper on this draft .. but even the top 10 of last year, 1/2   did not perform at  the level of elite can't miss rookies, some underperformed rookie years :  Tua, Jeudy, Henderson, Okudah, Thomas and even Brown and Simmons had seasons that were solid but still maybe below expectations.   So to me Slater and Darrisaw can't just be passed over in top 10

Unless they're the type of players like Tua, Jeudy, Henderson, Okuda, Thomas, etc, that don't pan out for such a high pick. 

That's why that thinking doesn't work here. It's not just 'throw a dart at the board and hope for the best'. You have to have people that recognize things that make players stand out to mitigate those "misses". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 05:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Unless they're the type of players like Tua, Jeudy, Henderson, Okuda, Thomas, etc, that don't pan out for such a high pick. 

That's why that thinking doesn't work here. It's not just 'throw a dart at the board and hope for the best'. You have to have people that recognize things that make players stand out to mitigate those "misses". 

Actually it does.. there is no for sure pick.. so you draft for need if they are high are your board.. the point I made was.. we don;t all agree on top talent.. Okuda seemed like a top CB.. but he did not perform well... if im the Bengals and they have a 2nd tackle in the range of other position players.. i draft the tackle
Reply/Quote