Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slater reminds me of Andre Dillard and that’s not a good thing
Mobile LT with no push but good in pass pro. These types of players fizzle out - I would draft in top 15.
Reply/Quote
I really liked Dillard. He is still only 25. And missed his entire second season with a torn bicep after adding 20lbs in the offseason (roids?). I'm not writing him off yet. But apparently he didn't show well his first year
Reply/Quote
Take away the game against OSU - Where do people think he goes?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 02:36 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Take away the game against OSU - Where do people think he goes?

He did it every week to big 10 players. Voch went looking for more tape against other teams and he said it was boring to watch because he locked down everyone.

He’s going to be a good player in the nfl.
Reply/Quote
I haven't watched a bunch of film on him, but I figured Slater would be compared to Jonah on here. They're similar stylistically in the sense that neither has prototypical size but are technicians and use their good technique to win against rushers.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 02:36 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Take away the game against OSU - Where do people think he goes?

Not really fair to take away his most impressive tape is it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 02:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not really fair to take away his most impressive tape is it?

Is it fair to throw out their worst tape? My point is that without the OSU tape, he would be going later in the draft - doesn’t make him a bad player. But that tape is getting meme’d.

You see centers come into the league all the time who are “technicians” - can scoop around a player lined up in the gap, very ‘agile’, mobile, etc. but are out of the league a few years later - lots of rimington award winners. Dillard comes to mind as an OT who has a similar game. What I’m afraid of is that we find out later that his game doesn’t translate in the NFL and we waste another top 5 pick.

Just my gut feeling. I liked Jonah better as a prospect, would be willing to go for a more conservative proven type of player.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 05:31 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: Is it fair to throw out their worst tape? My point is that without the OSU tape, he would be going later in the draft - doesn’t make him a bad player. But that tape is getting meme’d.

You see centers come into the league all the time who are “technicians” - can scoop around a player lined up in the gap, very ‘agile’, mobile, etc. but are out of the league a few years later - lots of rimington award winners. Dillard comes to mind as an OT who has a similar game. What I’m afraid of is that we find out later that his game doesn’t translate in the NFL and we waste another top 5 pick.

Just my gut feeling. I liked Jonah better as a prospect, would be willing to go for a more conservative proven type of player.

I'm not writing off Slater, but I'm with you.  When I hear of an OT that lacks ideal size but relies on technique and speed to excel at the position, I cringe.  It gives me Ced O PTSD.  

I want a guy that has the size already along with at least sound technique.  If a player's physical attributes like length and bend aren't there, it's hard to teach at the pro level.  Give me the monster every time.  Getting away from massive OTs is part of what hurt this team up from to begin with.  Anymore, it seems like OL have a really hard time making the jump from college to the NFL. Technique guys get washed out quick, with elite players like Tyvon Smith being exceptions.

I'd love to see them get Sewell, the draft Carman or Brown in 2, maybe even Cleveland in 3 if they don't get a G in 2.  I want a wall of mastodons on the right size.  This would hopefully mean that the defense was addressed in FA, but it wouldn't be an awful way to go.
Reply/Quote

Oh, the tape where he supposedly shut down Chase Young all game but only actually went against him for 2 quarters and gave up a bone crunching QB hit that probably should have been ruled a sack-fumble?
Reply/Quote

Take away Sewell game against auburn where does he go? It goes both ways. Slaters tape is outstanding. It isn’t one game.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 11:32 AM)samhain Wrote: I'm not writing off Slater, but I'm with you.  When I hear of an OT that lacks ideal size but relies on technique and speed to excel at the position, I cringe.  It gives me Ced O PTSD.  

This part doesn't quite make sense to me. When you're talking about size in the way that people question Slater's (height, length), Ced O had the ideal size. He had the size, length, and athleticism that you want. Unless you just mean Ced O PTSD in general because he was a bust but it wasn't because he didn't have the right size, length, or athleticism for the tackle position.
If anything, if you have Ced O PTSD you should be scared of Sewell because he's the player with the size and athleticism you want but doesn't have the technique down yet. Sewell has a level of strength that Ogbuehi never had though and that was his biggest downfall I think.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 03:20 AM)Fichidius Wrote: This part doesn't quite make sense to me. When you're talking about size in the way that people question Slater's (height, length), Ced O had the ideal size. He had the size, length, and athleticism that you want. Unless you just mean Ced O PTSD in general because he was a bust but it wasn't because he didn't have the right size, length, or athleticism for the tackle position.
If anything, if you have Ced O PTSD you should be scared of Sewell because he's the player with the size and athleticism you want but doesn't have the technique down yet. Sewell has a level of strength that Ogbuehi never had though and that was his biggest downfall I think.

Also with Sewell you see aggression. He climbs to tge second level looking to knock someone out. You never really saw that with Cedric.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 08:10 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Also with Sewell you see aggression. He climbs to tge second level looking to knock someone out. You never really saw that with Cedric.

Those are the type of things that jumped out to me, when I watch footage of Sewell in action.  Just aggressive, fluid, powerful.  Obviously if he's available, he's the one you want of he and Slater.  

Slater may be a great technician, but technique can be taught.  The urge to inflict one's will upon an opponent is something that a player either has or doesn't.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 11:32 AM)samhain Wrote: I'm not writing off Slater, but I'm with you.  When I hear of an OT that lacks ideal size but relies on technique and speed to excel at the position, I cringe.  It gives me Ced O PTSD.  

I want a guy that has the size already along with at least sound technique.  If a player's physical attributes like length and bend aren't there, it's hard to teach at the pro level.  Give me the monster every time.  Getting away from massive OTs is part of what hurt this team up from to begin with.  Anymore, it seems like OL have a really hard time making the jump from college to the NFL.  Technique guys get washed out quick, with elite players like Tyvon Smith being exceptions.

I'd love to see them get Sewell, the draft Carman or Brown in 2, maybe even Cleveland in 3 if they don't get a G in 2.  I want a wall of mastodons on the right size.  This would hopefully mean that the defense was addressed in FA, but it wouldn't be an awful way to go.

What? Ogbuehi had ideal size (6'5", 306 lb, 35.875" arm length, 85" wingspan) but he lacked technique, strength, and physicality.
About the only thing good for Ogbuehi aside from his measurables was his athleticism. Dude just couldn't develop.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 11:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those are the type of things that jumped out to me, when I watch footage of Sewell in action.  Just aggressive, fluid, powerful.  Obviously if he's available, he's the one you want of he and Slater.  

Slater may be a great technician, but technique can be taught.  The urge to inflict one's will upon an opponent is something that a player either has or doesn't.

Slater is just as good at run blocking as he is pass blocking, in which he is very good to elite at the college level.

I’m telling everyone and anyone who reads this and any other post I make on this guy, Slater is going to be a great OL in the nfl and any team who passes on this kid because of his arm length when they need OL for another position will be sorry a few years later.
Reply/Quote
For what it's worth, Dane Brugler has Rashawn Slater at #6 in the class with the following summary:
Quote:Slater doesn’t have ideal height or length, but he is agile, stout and power-packed and doesn’t allow rushers to go through him (Isaiah Wynn conversation all over again). He is very quick to lock up pass rushers before they can set up their moves, rarely straying from his fundamentals.

Isaiah Wynn or even Jonah Williams are the more common comparisons that I've heard, rather than Andre Dillard. Brugler calling Slater stout and power-packed is also more of an endorsement on Slater's power than he said of Dillard who he, to be fair, had ranked #9 overall in 2019 (Williams was ranked #4 overall):
Quote:With wide splits and a quick-strike passing attack, it can be tough to evaluate offensive linemen in WSU’s offense, but Dillard was dominant over his career (allowed only one sack in 2018) and is the highest-graded senior offensive lineman in this class. There are times when he looks defenseless vs. long-armed linemen, but he plays smooth, intellectually sound and will be even better once he improves his hand placement and reach timing. Overall, Dillard is a better pass protector than run blocker right now, but he is a quick-minded player with the light feet and core power to play multiple positions in the NFL, including left tackle.

Voch Lombardi also did a video on Rashawn Slater and he came out thinking he is a top 5 pick and did not have any concerns with his power
Reply/Quote
I'll trust Pollack on this one. I just hope this isn't a repeat of 2018 where our guy gets snatched up by someone else.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 12:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What? Ogbuehi had ideal size (6'5", 306 lb, 35.875" arm length, 85" wingspan) but he lacked technique, strength, and physicality.
About the only thing good for Ogbuehi aside from his measurables was his athleticism. Dude just couldn't develop.

Yeah, I know what he weighed.  He just looked like more of a power forward than an o-lineman.  Long arms with no ass to put behind it.  Length is nothing without core and posterior chain strength.  He didn't have it.  At all.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 09:36 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, I know what he weighed.  He just looked like more of a power forward than an o-lineman.  Long arms with no ass to put behind it.  Length is nothing without core and posterior chain strength.  He didn't have it.  At all.  

You said the wrong thing then. You said size, which is not what you meant.
Dude did not have an anchor, but his measurables were fine.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 09:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You said the wrong thing then. You said size, which is not what you meant.
Dude did not have an anchor, but his measurables were fine.

You're probably right.  I got used to Whit being around at 6-7 340.  300 didn't seem overly big.  I suppose it's adequate for a tackle.
Reply/Quote