Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleeping
Have anyone ever had to learn to change positions when you sleep? I’ve always been a stomach/side sleeper but recently I’ve had some pretty bad shoulder pains that make it almost impossible to sleep on a shoulder. So I’ve tried learning to sleep on my back. Ugh. It’s been some pretty bad nights of sleep lately. It just feels so uncomfortable to lay on my back. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
a lazy boy recliner is how i sleep that way. just never was comfortable flat on my back for some reason.

A good pillow will probly help too.

sorry i got no other suggestions i just sleep less these days.
Reply/Quote
It could be your mattress. If it is an older one and you have been sleeping in almost the same position on it then it could have formed a bit to that position. That could make trying to sleep in a new position a bit more uncomfortable. You could try to rotate your mattress or flip it if it is double sided. My mattress is not double sided but is a hybrid and I rotate it every 3 months and I can tell it makes a difference in how comfortable it is.

I'm normally a side sleeper myself but have also had to sleep on my back in the past due to injury. It was not easy for me at first either. So I started reading in bed on my back until I was super sleepy, putting the book down just as I could not keep my eyes open much longer. That helped me.

I got a bit curious so I looked up some things. These articles might help:

https://www.popsci.com/sleep-pain-change-position/
https://www.leesa.com/blogs/mattress-and-sleep/how-to-start-sleeping-on-your-back

Hope this helps.

Edit: I have also had issues over the years with getting good sleep, especially falling asleep. So I have learned a few things that have helped. I generally try to stop using cell phone and computers 2 hours before bedtime and no TV 1 hour before bedtime. While I stay hydrated through the day with plenty of water I don't drink any 2 hours before bedtime as well to avoid that feeling like I might need to go just when I'm wanting to fall asleep. I try to keep my bedroom a bit cooler than the rest of the house and let fresh air in through the window when weather allows. Again reading a book for a bit helps me as well. It tends to take my mind off the daily stuff that might be stressing me out as I try to sleep.

I guess what I'm trying to add with the above is that if you are in a state that can accommodate falling asleep easier then that might help as well.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 02:55 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Have anyone ever had to learn to change positions when you sleep?  I’ve always been a stomach/side sleeper but recently I’ve had some pretty bad shoulder pains that make it almost impossible to sleep on a shoulder.  So I’ve tried learning to sleep on my back.  Ugh. It’s been some pretty bad nights of sleep lately.  It just feels so uncomfortable to lay on my back.  Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?  Has anyone else had this problem?

Had this problem with my ribs and shoulder. Went to memory foam mattress, haven't had an issue since.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:28 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Edit:  I have also had issues over the years with getting good sleep, especially falling asleep.  So I have learned a few things that have helped.  I generally try to stop using cell phone and computers 2 hours before bedtime and no TV 1 hour before bedtime.  While I stay hydrated through the day with plenty of water I don't drink any 2 hours before bedtime as well to avoid that feeling like I might need to go just when I'm wanting to fall asleep.  I try to keep my bedroom a bit cooler than the rest of the house and let fresh air in through the window when weather allows.  Again reading a book for a bit helps me as well.  It tends to take my mind off the daily stuff that might be stressing me out as I try to sleep.

I guess what I'm trying to add with the above is that if you are in a state that can accommodate falling asleep easier then that might help as well.

Yes for that my best method is to watch a movie i know by heart..   Generally something slow in the beginning so its easy to close my eyes and follow the movie in my head...   "Sphere" is a great one.    (of course this can backfire if you use your favorite movies for this as it might be hard to stay awake to them later lol)

Having a cat sit in your lap might do the trick too
Reply/Quote
Having trouble right now with my left shoulder. Funny thing is I can sleep on my left side, but I can’t sleep on my right. It seems the weight pulling down on my left shoulder while I’m on my tight side is what hurts. Runs up into the neck a little too.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I always slept on my side. I had a shoulder injury and was able to fall asleep on my back, but once I was asleep I would roll over on my side. Then I would wake up with my shoulder killing me from sleeping on it.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 02:55 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Have anyone ever had to learn to change positions when you sleep?  I’ve always been a stomach/side sleeper but recently I’ve had some pretty bad shoulder pains that make it almost impossible to sleep on a shoulder.  So I’ve tried learning to sleep on my back.  Ugh. It’s been some pretty bad nights of sleep lately.  It just feels so uncomfortable to lay on my back.  Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?  Has anyone else had this problem?

I feel for you, as I have had the same issue.

I always sleep on my left side or stomach with my left arm above my head.  Years back I somehow hurt my rotator cuff, and it was DREADFUL trying to sleep.  Even if I managed to fall asleep in a different position, I would manage to roll over into those positions and wake up in excruciating pain because of it.

Recently I went through it again, albeit only for one night.  When I got my second covid shot in my left arm, it would hurt to the touch or if I lifted it above my head.  Not much sleep at all that night, as I kept waking up in pain from being on top of it or having it up past my head.  Once I would get out of those positions, I couldn't drift off because they were uncomfortable.   Eventually I would fall back asleep, but then rinse and repeat...
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 07:54 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I feel for you, as I have had the same issue.

I always sleep on my left side or stomach with my left arm above my head.  Years back I somehow hurt my rotator cuff, and it was DREADFUL trying to sleep.  Even if I managed to fall asleep in a different position, I would manage to roll over into those positions and wake up in excruciating pain because of it.

Recently I went through it again, albeit only for one night.  When I got my second covid shot in my left arm, it would hurt to the touch or if I lifted it above my head.  Not much sleep at all that night, as I kept waking up in pain from being on top of it or having it up past my head.  Once I would get out of those positions, I couldn't drift off because they were uncomfortable.   Eventually I would fall back asleep, but then rinse and repeat...
Your head is actually about 30 lbs. It causes a lot of stress on rotator cuff. I learned that the hard way. I now sleep on my side with my hands under my chin. 
Reply/Quote
Only way I could ever sleep on my back is in a recliner or drunk. Wish I could sleep on my back. Side/belly sleeper only.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm almost exclusively a belly-sleeper, sometimes on my side and my back only if I get tattooed or have surgery (wisdom tooth, cancer on tongue); those are the only times I have purposefully slept on my back in my life.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Slept on my back for almost three months straight............ woke up and couldn't walk or talk........ I highly recommend avoiding sleeping on your back.

Trust me on this one ThumbsUp

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 04:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yes for that my best method is to watch a movie i know by heart..   Generally something slow in the beginning so its easy to close my eyes and follow the movie in my head...   "Sphere" is a great one.    (of course this can backfire if you use your favorite movies for this as it might be hard to stay awake to them later lol)

Having a cat sit in your lap might do the trick too

I used to watch Family Guy/Bob's Burgers/How I Met Your Mother to help me fall asleep. Definitely has to be something you like and have watched several times otherwise you end up listening too much and not sleeping at all. 

Now I sleep fine with just my fan.
Reply/Quote
Hate to be this guy, but sleep aid will help you sleep on your head if that's how you want to sleep. I'm a side and stomach sleeper myself and have had shoulder issues where sleeping on my back was the only option. Sleep aid helped me sleep through the night no problem.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I've slept on my back for years. I do turn on my side a lot, but my sinuses will drip and clog up my snotbox so I'm back to sleeping on my my back.. Unfortunately my wife likes the ceiling fan on all night and all the dust it collects lands in my mouth if I sleep with my mouth open so I sleep with an umbrella over me at all times.. (not really)
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 08:49 AM)Takedown Wrote: Hate to be this guy, but sleep aid will help you sleep on your head if that's how you want to sleep. I'm a side and stomach sleeper myself and have had shoulder issues where sleeping on my back was the only option. Sleep aid helped me sleep through the night no problem.

What sleep aid are you referring to?
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:28 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What sleep aid are you referring to?

Just good old melatonin brother. You can get it anywhere over the counter. Just read the MG and how much you should be taking like any other over the counter drug. I use it if I'm sleepless. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 07:09 AM)Takedown Wrote: Just good old melatonin brother. You can get it anywhere over the counter. Just read the MG and how much you should be taking like any other over the counter drug. I use it if I'm sleepless. 

I was taking zquill to help me sleep. My Dr. at the VA prescribed me melatonin instead. I take two 3mg tables about 20 minutes before bedtime and I’m out like a lite. However, sleep aids arejust to help you get to sleep. If your in pain or discomfort, you will be dealing with it after a few hours.

I have a lot of back and neck pain. I sleep on my side and use a pillow to straddle. Takes the weight off the back. If I sleep on my back, simply crossing my right leg over left relieves lower back pain as well (but not vice versa for some reason). Also, if sleeping on back, one could try to elevate both legs above the heart. That also takes pressure off lower back.

As for shoulder pain? Man, I get this a lot and I still haven’t figured out how to prevent. Although, George is right about rotating your mattress as this seems to help, but for me does not totally eliminate.

I looked into getting a sleep number bed. Man those things are super expensive. Yet, I might end up getting one anyway because you really can’t put a price tag on getting a good nights sleep. 

On another note but unrelated. I had a sleep study done by VA two weeks ago. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Seems I stopped breathing on avg. 58.3 times per hour. I have an appointment tomorrow to get a Cpap, which I am, but am not looking forward too. It’s going to take quite a bit to get used to sleeping with that thing on. However, if it helps me sleep better, I’m all in.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:25 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was taking zquill to help me sleep. My Dr. at the VA prescribed me melatonin instead. I take two 3mg tables about 20 minutes before bedtime and I’m out like a lite. However, sleep aids arejust to help you get to sleep. If your in pain or discomfort, you will be dealing with it after a few hours.

I have a lot of back and neck pain. I sleep on my side and use a pillow to straddle. Takes the weight off the back. If I sleep on my back, simply crossing my right leg over left relieves lower back pain as well (but not vice versa for some reason). Also, if sleeping on back, one could try to elevate both legs above the heart. That also takes pressure off lower back.

As for shoulder pain? Man, I get this a lot and I still haven’t figured out how to prevent. Although, George is right about rotating your mattress as this seems to help, but for me does not totally eliminate.

I looked into getting a sleep number bed. Man those things are super expensive. Yet, I might end up getting one anyway because you really can’t put a price tag on getting a good nights sleep. 

On another note but unrelated. I had a sleep study done by VA two weeks ago. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Seems I stopped breathing on avg. 58.3 times per hour. I have an appointment tomorrow to get a Cpap, which I am, but am not looking forward too. It’s going to take quite a bit to get used to sleeping with that thing on. However, if it helps me sleep better, I’m all in.

Oh man, I got a cpap last year and I swear by it now. I was diagnosed the same as you with the whole sleep study thing. Got me a cpap and it took just a couple nights to get used to but I swear by it now. I can’t sleep without it. Once you get used to it, I’m sure you’ll like it too.

This whole shoulder pain thing sucks! I can’t find a comfortable position anywhere. Last night I came back out to sit in the chair and try to sleep in it. I was up well past midnight when the pain flare up finally died down enough I was able to get comfortable and sleep till 5ish when our youngest got up and wanted to watch cartoons this morning.

Reply/Quote
Melatonin is indeed good for inducing sleep occasionally. It is a natural hormone that plays a role in the sleep wake cycle. I've taken it over the years via the advice of my VA doctor and it helped to some degree. It can be very helpful if you travel over time zones and need to adjust your sleep cycle. The issue is that when you take it every night your brain might acclimate to it. So after some time the benefits are decreased and it may take a larger dose to see the same results.

As I mentioned before as someone that has struggled with sleep, good sleep hygiene can make a big difference. There have been many studies about the impact of watching TV or spending time on your computer, tablet, phone and how they negatively impact sleep. That's just a small sample of bad sleep hygiene. There are a lot more. Of course this does not help when physical pain might be a factor in sleep disturbances. But if someone is looking to increase their quality of sleep under various circumstances those are things to keep in mind.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote