Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slow starts by offense.
In the first quarter of our 6 losses we have only scored a total of 17 points. I don't understand how a team with all our talent on offense could only score 3 times in 6 quarters. I love our ability to come back, but as these 6 losses show we don't always come back to win.

If you look at all 16 games we have 5 first quarters with zero points and 9 with no more than 3 points.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In the first quarter of our 6 losses we have only scored a total of 17 points.  I don't understand how a team with all our talent on offense could only score 3 times in 6 quarters. I love our ability to come back, but as these 6 losses show we don't always come back to win.

If you look at all 16 games we have 5 first quarters with zero points and 9 with no more than 3 points.
Young team learning how to play together. It's only going to improve.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In the first quarter of our 6 losses we have only scored a total of 17 points.  I don't understand how a team with all our talent on offense could only score 3 times in 6 quarters. I love our ability to come back, but as these 6 losses show we don't always come back to win.

Young team. They talk it but i'm not convinced they've bought in to the focus and fast start yet. Being able to come back can be kind of a hinderance to that too. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In the first quarter of our 6 losses we have only scored a total of 17 points. I don't understand how a team with all our talent on offense could only score 3 times in 6 quarters. I love our ability to come back, but as these 6 losses show we don't always come back to win.

I’ll answer that:

The Bengals have seized scoring opportunities in the middle eight this season; the last four minutes of the first half and the first four minutes of the second half. During that span, the Bengals have a plus 49-point differential, good for second best in the AFC.
When you break it down even further, only the Bengals and Packers are in the top five in both points scored during the final two minutes of the first half (Cincinnati 63, Green Bay 69), and points scored during the first offensive possession of the second half (Cincinnati 53, Green Bay 72).

By Quarter points scored rank :
(1) 15
(2) 6
(3) 9
(4) 7

I’ll take it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The first couple series are scripted in advance
Reply/Quote
I do understand the concern as you don’t want to fall behind in the playoffs. Those comebacks are a lot harder in the postseason

They just need to get a nice little 24-0 lead in the first quarter then see how it goes.
Reply/Quote
Basically our gameplan sucks but our adjustments are gud. I think this is more Burrow than Zac, but nobody knows. Burrow learns fast.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 06:45 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Basically our gameplan sucks but our adjustments are gud. I think this is more Burrow than Zac, but nobody knows. Burrow probably learns fast.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 06:46 PM)M.W. Wrote: Rock On

Yet the most telling stat centers around efficiency look at the teams in the top 10 here and I’ll wait for your response.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-play

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Got to wonder at least the first half the season that Zac was protecting Burrow which would make sense. The pass rush I assume is much tougher to defend out of the gate than once the offense is settled in.

I didn't look at the #'s however I'm sure the 2nd half hasn't been that great either but better.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote

The past 2 weeks not counting this one we got off to fast starts which hopefully that trend continues.

Big time players step up and make plays when the lights are the brightest. Really curious to see how this team plays in they're first playoff appearance.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In the first quarter of our 6 losses we have only scored a total of 17 points. I don't understand how a team with all our talent on offense could only score 3 times in 6 quarters. I love our ability to come back, but as these 6 losses show we don't always come back to win.

I think it relates to Zack Taylor being a young coach and not scripting plays very well to start the game. It’s no fluke that KC are league leaders in the first quarter points scored. Andy Reid is a savant.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 07:47 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yet the most telling stat centers around efficiency look at the teams in the top 10 here and I’ll wait for your response.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-play

You will need patience because I won't even open the link.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 08:19 PM)M.W. Wrote: You will need patience because I won't even open the link.

A key stat is points per play. Shows efficiency on offense and a stat teams value highly. . Cincy # 2

1 Dallas 0.460
2 Cincinnati 0.446
3 New England 0.441
4 Indianapolis 0.440
5 LA Rams 0.439
6 Tampa Bay 0.436
7 Buffalo 0.429
8 LA Chargers 0.425
9 Kansas City 0.423
10 Green Bay 0.417

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 05:30 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ll answer that:

The Bengals have seized scoring opportunities in the middle eight this season; the last four minutes of the first half and the first four minutes of the second half. During that span, the Bengals have a plus 49-point differential, good for second best in the AFC.
When you break it down even further, only the Bengals and Packers are in the top five in both points scored during the final two minutes of the first half (Cincinnati 63, Green Bay 69), and points scored during the first offensive possession of the second half (Cincinnati 53, Green Bay 72).  

By Quarter points scored rank :
(1) 15
(2) 6
(3) 9
(4) 7

I’ll take it

(01-09-2022, 08:33 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: A key stat is points per play. Shows efficiency on offense and a stat teams value highly. . Cincy # 2

1 Dallas 0.460
2 Cincinnati 0.446
3 New England 0.441
4 Indianapolis 0.440
5 LA Rams 0.439
6 Tampa Bay 0.436
7 Buffalo 0.429
8 LA Chargers 0.425
9 Kansas City 0.423
10 Green Bay 0.417

No offense, but I don't think you understand my question.

I know we score a lot at the end of the half.

I know we have a lot of big plays that drive up our PPP stats.

Neither one of those explains why we often start so slow we can't come back to win.  Why can we score at the end of the half but not at the beginning of the game.  Why can't we score in the first quarter if we are 2nd in the league in PPP?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Young team learning how to play together. It's only going to improve.

This also does not answer much.  If we struggle to play together then why are we so effective later in the game?

Or are you claiming that they have to re-learn how to play together every game?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 09:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No offense, but I don't think you understand my question.

I know we score a lot at the end of the half.

I know we have a lot of big plays that drive up our PPP stats.

Neither one of those explains why we often start so slow we can't come back to win.  Why can we score at the end of the half but not at the beginning of the game.  Why can't we score in the first quarter if we are 2nd in the league in PPP?

Maybe this will help. I’ve known 3 college OC’s all with NC’s as OC. I know them extremely well. I also know a current NFL coach whose expertise is offense. All 3 I’ve discussed at length this subject. Setting up plays for success later in the game. Running a play just to change it slightly to generate a score later. Taylor is huge on this as he’s a Bill Walsh fanatic. He too was big on this. I’ve linked the article about how Taylor foxed Denver exactly this way.

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/8981586002

If you don’t want to read it fine. Basically they baited the safety into moving up after running it previous for. A Perine 22 yard gain. When he thought it was going to be run again Fangio moved the safety up and they faked it this time and Boyd released from his block resulting in a big TD pass. Taylor is big on setting up plays early in the game only to set up TD type plays off it. Hope this helps explain. Burrow and Boyd after the game raved how Taylor baited Fangio

He loves Bill Walsh and has studied his tactics at length.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 11:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Taylor is big on setting up plays early in the game only to set up TD type plays off it.

You have to have something that is working before defenses will make adjustments to it.

Bengals aren't "baiting" anyone to make any adjustments when they are going 3-and-out.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 12:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You have to have something that is working before defenses will make adjustments to it.

Bengals aren't "baiting" anyone to make any adjustments when they are going 3-and-out.

Mellow

You forgot to call "no strawman". 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 12:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You have to have something that is working before defenses will make adjustments to it.

I’m sorry you didn’t understand but rest assured after the first playoff win next Sunday over the Raiders in 30 years I’ll discuss your sour wuss attitude about Taylor some more.

Reply/Quote