Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart, Nasty, Athletic OL
With Pollack coming in as OL coach, I re-watched his interview with Dan Hoard from back in 2018.
Pollack mentioned 3 things he looks for in OL:
- Smart
- Nasty
- Athletic

So what guys fit the bill in this draft class?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 12:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With Pollack coming in as OL coach, I re-watched his interview with Dan Hoard from back in 2018.
- Smart
- Nasty
- Athletic

Outside Penei Sewell Rashawn Slater is the most obvious. Creed Humphrey is another player.
Reply/Quote
Christian Darrisaw and Landon Dickerson would fit really well. Wyatt Davis might take a big fall and would fit.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 12:29 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Outside Penei Sewell Rashawn Slater is the most obvious. Creed Humphrey is another player.

Yep, Slater for sure.
I like Deonte Brown too. Dude is a hoss.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Trey Smith checks a lot of boxes physically. I'll be curious how he tests.
Reply/Quote
Wyatt Davis fits this to a T.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 03:18 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Wyatt Davis fits this to a T.

never a good sign when you already have knee braces on both legs and you go down with what looks like a knee injury... he probably falls into 2 round maybe 3rd
Reply/Quote
SMART: Father played in the NFL for three seasons and his brother, Chris, was a first-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons in 2019. Has experience long snapping. He’s a technician with power. Notable strength in his core to absorb power, redirect and remain in control.

NASTY: Has a finishers mentality and he looks to put dudes on their back. Does well to unlock his hips in drive block situations and create movement. Highly successful combo blocking and climbing to the second level with consistency. Generally does well to play within himself and not waste-bend or end up on the ground.

ATHLETIC: Has good functional athleticism and range. Tape is littered with impact blocks in the screen game. Packs a fairly powerful punch and he is committed to fitting his hands - no notable timing or placement concerns.

PLAYER:
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

What part of his game has ever shown him to be athletic?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 03:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And has his second left knee injury. Damaged goods, pass.
He posted on Twitter he’s good.
(01-12-2021, 04:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: never a good sign when you already have knee braces on both legs and you go down with what looks like a knee injury... he probably falls into 2 round maybe 3rd
He posted on Twitter he’s good. Maybe maybe we get lucky and he falls to 37 but probably a top 15-30 pick
(01-12-2021, 07:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What part of his game has ever shown him to be athletic?
Are u kidding? Every osu game? He climbs to the 2nd level with ease?
Reply/Quote
Darrisaw and D. Brown with Chase is my leaning at the moment. both are nasty. I know the D Line needs so much work, but give the injured Rookie some protection and weapons.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 07:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Darrisaw and D. Brown with Chase is my leaning at the moment.  both are nasty.  I know the D Line needs so much work, but give the injured Rookie some protection and weapons.

I think it depends on FA, i like to see other get two Oline and a speed WR in FA.  Burrow has weapons in Mixon,Boyd and Higgins which is more than some other young QBs like in Miami, NY Jets, Phil and right there with Denver, adding a speed WR in FA gives us more flexibility in the draft in case some picks are not there for us.  I see us drafting a TE  maybe another WR if we grab a Vet WR in FA
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 07:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: SMART: Father played in the NFL for three seasons and his brother, Chris, was a first-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons in 2019. Has experience long snapping. He’s a technician with power. Notable strength in his core to absorb power, redirect and remain in control.

NASTY: Has a finishers mentality and he looks to put dudes on their back. Does well to unlock his hips in drive block situations and create movement. Highly successful combo blocking and climbing to the second level with consistency. Generally does well to play within himself and not waste-bend or end up on the ground.

ATHLETIC: Has good functional athleticism and range. Tape is littered with impact blocks in the screen game. Packs a fairly powerful punch and he is committed to fitting his hands - no notable timing or placement concerns.

PLAYER:
[Image: giphy.gif]

About the only thing that concerns me with Lindstrom is he seems light. He may have to be a backup for a year while he bulks up.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: About the only thing that concerns me with Lindstrom is he seems light. He may have to be a backup for a year while he bulks up.

Jason Kelce is arguably the best center in the NFL over the last few years. he came in a 280 and started immediately.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 12:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Jason Kelce is arguably the best center in the NFL over the last few years. he came in a 280 and started immediately.

I didn't realize he was that light. And he's still "just" 295 lbs now, which is what Lindstrom supposedly played at this past year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 02:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think most of the top talent falls under that. Others not named yet, Darrisaw, Leatherwood, Eichenberg, Carman.

whatbout any Free Agents avaiable ? Does Thuney fit that? not sure
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 12:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With Pollack coming in as OL coach, I re-watched his interview with Dan Hoard from back in 2018.
- Smart
- Nasty
- Athletic

Really sounds like coachspeak to me.  What is the guy going to say?  He wants nice guys that are dumb and unathletic?
Reply/Quote

Pollack did stump for Billy Price.  It would make sense for him to go for another overrated OSU IOL.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: Pollack did stump for Billy Price.  It would make sense for him to go for another overrated OSU IOL.

Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Really sounds like coachspeak to me.  What is the guy going to say?  He wants nice guys that are dumb and unathletic?

Obviously, he wouldn't say he wants dumb, unathletic guys, but it gives insight into what he's looking to do.
He needs smart guys who can figure out how to execute the blocking scheme and improvise because it's not as simple as "block guy in front of me."
He wants nasty guys because he wants them to play through the whistle and be physical.
He wants athletic guys because it's going to be needed to execute the blocking scheme.

So what should we take away?
1) Don't expect guys who are limited athletically and can't move laterally.
2) Don't expect passive guys who wait for defenders to come to them.
3) Don't expect guys who don't have experience or show capacity to learn a more complex scheme.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote