Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
'Smart as any in QB prospect in a long time'
(04-17-2020, 03:23 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: The thing is, if he or anyone else looked, Joe started to play really good football the last half of 2018. Then he ran with that success into 2019

Maybe you should look.

First ten games of 2018 Burrow had only 7 passing tds and zero 300 yard games.  The "last half" of 2018 included performances like 16-28, 129 yds, 0 td 1 int (Miss St), 18-35, 184 yds, 0 td 1 int (Bama), 15-30, 200 yds 0 td (Georgia)

He put together 3 decent games to finish the season, but even they were nothing like what he did in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe you should look.

First ten games of 2018 Burrow had only 7 passing tds and zero 300 yard games.  The "last half" of 2018 included performances like 16-28, 129 yds, 0 td 1 int (Miss St), 18-35, 184 yds, 0 td 1 int (Bama), 15-30, 200 yds 0 td (Georgia)

He put together 3 decent games to finish the season, but even they were nothing like what he did in 2019.

The Fiesta Bowl was absolutely similar to his 2019 type numbers.

394 yds 4 TD
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe you should look.

So the full depth and length of your argument against him is what he did two years ago and that's why you ignore what basically any expert in the field is saying about him.  Just so we're clear. 

Who is your preferred QB?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:23 PM)McC Wrote: So the full depth and length of your argument against him is what he did two years ago and that's why you ignore what basically any expert in the field is saying about him.  Just so we're clear. 

Andy Dalton, of course. Fred’s having a really tough time as of late. Marvin gone. Vigil gone. Hart likely to be replaced by Fred Johnson. AJ tagged. Dalton soon to be gone.

We’re in for some world class trolling I’m afraid...

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Andy Dalton, of course. Fred’s having a really tough time as of late. Marvin gone. Vigil gone. Hart likely to be replaced by Fred Johnson. AJ tagged. Dalton soon to be gone.

If I didn't know better, I'd say Fred has been doing a whole buncha the thing he hates the most--whining.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:23 PM)McC Wrote: So the full depth and length of your argument against him is what he did two years ago and that's why you ignore what basically any expert in the field is saying about him.  Just so we're clear. 

I want us to draft Burrow.  I don't see any other real option.

I am just not as delusional about him as some people here.  None of them even knew who he was in 2018, so they never saw him struggles.  As a big SEC fan I am more familiar with him.

Everyone is judging Burrow based on what they have seen.  I have just seen more than most of the others here.  I can find no criticism for his 2019 performance, but if no one is concerned about the rest of his college career then they have not been paying attention to NFL draft history and "one year wonders".
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I want us to draft Burrow.  I don't see any other real option.

I am just not as delusional about him as some people here.  None of them even knew who he was in 2018, so they never saw him struggles.  As a big SEC fan I am more familiar with him.

Everyone is judging Burrow based on what they have seen.  I have just seen more than most of the others here.  I can find no criticism for his 2019 performance, but if no one is concerned about the rest of his college career then they have not been paying attention to NFL draft history and "one year wonders".

Was it that he “struggled” in 2018, or was it the system, and that he was limited in his role?

7 out of his 13 games in 2018 they had Burrow throw it 28x or less. And 16 TD to 5 INT, while unremarkable, is hardly struggling.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fred’s having a really tough time as of late. Marvin gone. Vigil gone. Hart likely to be replaced by Fred Johnson. AJ tagged. Dalton soon to be gone.

(04-17-2020, 05:55 PM)McC Wrote: If I didn't know better, I'd say Fred has been doing a whole buncha the thing he hates the most--whining.

*SIGH*

You guys get so caught up in the personal attacks that you can't even understand what I am saying.  Anyone that was here knows that I said Marvin should have been fired after the 2017 season.  But now that I refuse to fawn over his replacement who has never accomplished anything as a head coach except produce a season worse than any of Lewis's I am a troll.  Same with Vigil.  I have no problem with Vigil being replaced, but people going gaga about how a career scrub we signed for league minimum is "clearly far better than Vigil" are just drunk on Kool-Aid.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I want us to draft Burrow.  I don't see any other real option.

I guess I'm just not intent on looking the gift horse in the mouth like you are.  I'm too busy thanking my freaking lucky stars.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 06:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Was it that he “struggled” in 2018, or was it the system, and that he was limited in his role?

7 out of his 13 games in 2018 they had Burrow throw it 28x or less. And 16 TD to 5 INT, while unremarkable, is hardly struggling.

His passer rating was 12th in a 14 team league.  That is struggling.  

And many of the things that people claim about Burrow would not be effected by "system".  If a QB can "make every throw" and "never makes a bad decision" you see it in any system.

Let me repeat that Burrow looked incredible in 2019.  We have to draft him.  I am just being a bit more realistic based on times I have watched him look not-so-good.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 06:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: *SIGH*

You guys get so caught up in the personal attacks that you can't even understand what I am saying.  Anyone that was here knows that I said Marvin should have been fired after the 2017 season.  But now that I refuse to fawn over his replacement who has never accomplished anything as a head coach except produce a season worse than any of Lewis's I am a troll.  Same with Vigil.  I have no problem with Vigil being replaced, but people going gaga about how a career scrub we signed for league minimum is "clearly far better than Vigil" are just drunk on Kool-Aid.

There’s a big difference between “fawning over” and completely killing the guy. You were nitpicking over standard coach speak answers he gave about what he looks for in a QB ffs.

Literally no one went “Gaga” over Bynes. Most of us thought it was a solid pickup, but still realize we need more help at LB.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: His passer rating was 12th in a 14 team league.  That is struggling.  

And many of the things that people claim about Burrow would not be effected by "system".  If a QB can "make every throw" and "never makes a bad decision" you see it in any system.

Let me repeat that Burrow looked incredible in 2019.  We have to draft him.  I am just being a bit more realistic based on times I have watched him look not-so-good.

Patrick Mahomes was 4th out of 8 qualifying QB’s that played 75% of their team’s games in the Big 12 his sophomore season, so what?

I find it hilarious you’re harping on how “realistic” you’re being, when that’s one of the main things I’ve seen you jump on other people for here...

I guess it’s only realistic when it’s Fred, but everyone else is just squealing and being unfairly negative.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 04:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So not only is Tua super durable, he’s smart as a whip! Ninja
That's what JPoore would tell you, and demand that you believe it...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 06:42 PM)JSR18 Wrote: That's what JPoore would tell you, and demand that you believe it...

Hey, at least his boy Love scored well...lol

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Andy Dalton, of course. Fred’s having a really tough time as of late. Marvin gone. Vigil gone. Hart likely to be replaced by Fred Johnson. AJ tagged. Dalton soon to be gone.

In for???? Lovely....

The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 04:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: His arm strength is not a concern. As long as Burrow’s is average (it is) it’s not an issue.

Brady and Peyton Manning did just fine without having a cannon.

In one of his games, I saw him scramble out to his right (his favorite thing to do Btw, so I'm sure Hart is happy), and on the run threw a dime to Chase 45 yds down the field for a TD with a guy covering him pretty well. 

So, when I hear people saying he doesn't have arm strength, I always go back to that play and laugh my ass off. 

I mean, how much more do you need than that? His Bombs to Chase and others went over 50 yds several times, with most of them being in stride. There were a few left short (Like Dalton's all the time), but no one is perfect. 

After watching Dalton short arm so many of his bombs over the years, with AJ and Ross taking tea breaks often times, I'll be more than happy to see what he can do instead. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 04:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Found this list of some notable QB scores:
  • 48 — Ryan Fitzpatrick, Greg McElroy
  • 42 — Blaine Gabbert
  • 40 — Alex Smith
  • 39 — Eli Manning
  • 38 — Colin Kaepernick, Matt Flynn, Matthew Stafford
  • 37 — Tony Romo, Andrew Luck
  • 35 — Aaron Rodgers, Matt Leinart, Sam Bradford, Christina Ponder
  • 34 — Ryan Tannehill
  • 33 — Tom Brady
  • 33 ---Steve Young
  • 33 — Marcus Mariota
  • 32 — Johnny Manziel
  • 31 — Matt Schaub
  • 30 — Philip Rivers
  • 29 — John Elway
  • 29 — Andy Dalton, Nick Foles
  • 28 — Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, EJ Manuel, Marck Sanchez, Blake Bortles
  • 27 — Jameis Winston, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman
  • 26 — Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Ryan Mallet
  • 25 — Ben Roethlisberger
  • 24 — Cam Newton, Geno Smith
  • 22 — Brett Favre
  • 21 — Robert Griffin III
  • 20 — Michael Vick, Jake Locher, Teddy Bridgewater
  • 15 — Dan Marino, Donovan McNabb, Jim Kelly, Terry Bradshaw

Christina Ponder? Who did she play for?  Confused
Reply/Quote
So both Bama QBs had the two lowest scores ever recorded. That doesn't look good for the university. Hurts with 18 and Tua with 13. So Tua is a complete dumbass plus cant stay healthy. This kids stock is going down down and down.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:23 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: So both Bama QBs had the two lowest scores ever recorded. That doesn't look good for the university. Hurts with 18 and Tua with 13. So Tua is a complete dumbass plus cant stay healthy. This kids stock is going down down and down.

Lamar scored a 13 last year, so Hurts wouldn’t be 2nd lowest.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 08:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lamar scored a 13 last year, so Hurts wouldn’t be 2nd lowest.

Vince Young scored a 6.  You probably get 5 for knowing your name.

Reply/Quote