Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Smoking
I got a Traeger smoker about mid summer last year and have been very pleased with it. I use it about 2 times a week but more lately since remodeling my kitchen. Have smoked 5 or 6 pork butts, ribs, a couple whole briskets (when Kroger had them on sale), salmon, whole chickens, every piece of chicken you can get (thighs and wings are great), corn on the cob, hot dogs and different sausages.

Some “different” things I’ve tried is a whole thing of bologna (tasted like bbq hot dogs), Brussel sprouts, hard boiled eggs, potatoes. Haven’t tried cheeses yet or made jerky (I use my dehydrator for jerky). Any strange things I should try?

It’s almost like a convection oven w/ smoke. Everything comes out moist and delicious w/ a hint of Smokey goodness. The bad or not so good thing is sometime the skin is a little chewy but if you take it off a little before it’s done and throw it on the grill or oven it comes out crispy. I haven’t tried just cranking the heat up on it at this point but will down the road.

Anybody else have one or something similar? Boss got a similar brand and loves it. Any smoking recipes?

P.S. I know the purist hate it but I don’t have the time or patience to sit there and maintain the fire. I love just setting the temp and not worrying about it. Especially on the 20 hour plus cooks. Also comes up to temp in 15 min. More power to the traditionalist, I may turn to doing it that way down the road, but as of now, I am enjoying some good old smoked deliciousness.

Edit: Since Jason isn’t over here Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, if you're going to reference Jason, you're going to have to do a picture show every now and then..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 09:36 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I got a Traeger smoker about mid summer last year and have been very pleased with it.  I use it about 2 times a week but more lately since remodeling my kitchen.  Have smoked 5 or 6 pork butts, ribs, a couple whole briskets (when Kroger had them on sale), salmon, whole chickens, every piece of chicken you can get (thighs and wings are great), corn on the cob, hot dogs and different sausages.  

Some “different” things I’ve tried is a whole thing of bologna (tasted like bbq hot dogs), Brussel sprouts, hard boiled eggs, potatoes.  Haven’t tried cheeses yet or made jerky (I use my dehydrator for jerky).  Any strange things I should try?

It’s almost like a convection oven w/ smoke. Everything comes out moist and delicious w/ a hint of Smokey goodness. The bad or not so good thing is sometime the skin is a little chewy but if you take it off a little before it’s done and throw it on the grill or oven it comes out crispy.  I haven’t tried just cranking the heat up on it at this point but will down the road.

Anybody else have one or something similar?  Boss got a similar brand and loves it.  Any smoking recipes?  

P.S.  I know the purist hate it but I don’t have the time or patience to sit there and maintain the fire.  I love just setting the temp and not worrying about it.  Especially on the 20 hour plus cooks. Also comes up to temp in 15 min. More power to the  traditionalist, I may turn to doing it that way down the road, but as of now, I am enjoying some good old smoked deliciousness.

Edit:  Since Jason isn’t over here Ninja

Damn.  I thought this was about a different kind of smoking...

[Image: 27hjme.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 10:03 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Damn.  I thought this was about a different kind of smoking...

[Image: 27hjme.jpg]

Ha! I thought crack didn’t make ya hungry (just guessing) and since this is in the food forum.....

On that note though, I have thought about a thread “cooking w/ weed man” but think people wouldn’t reply because of being paranoid. That show on viceland is pretty interesting.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 10:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, if you're going to reference Jason, you're going to have to do a picture show every now and then..

I do take a lot of pictures of the cooks, just not sure how to post them from my phone w/ out it being just a small attachment.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 09:36 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I got a Traeger smoker about mid summer last year and have been very pleased with it. I use it about 2 times a week but more lately since remodeling my kitchen. Have smoked 5 or 6 pork butts, ribs, a couple whole briskets (when Kroger had them on sale), salmon, whole chickens, every piece of chicken you can get (thighs and wings are great), corn on the cob, hot dogs and different sausages.

Some “different” things I’ve tried is a whole thing of bologna (tasted like bbq hot dogs), Brussel sprouts, hard boiled eggs, potatoes. Haven’t tried cheeses yet or made jerky (I use my dehydrator for jerky). Any strange things I should try?

It’s almost like a convection oven w/ smoke. Everything comes out moist and delicious w/ a hint of Smokey goodness. The bad or not so good thing is sometime the skin is a little chewy but if you take it off a little before it’s done and throw it on the grill or oven it comes out crispy. I haven’t tried just cranking the heat up on it at this point but will down the road.

Anybody else have one or something similar? Boss got a similar brand and loves it. Any smoking recipes?

P.S. I know the purist hate it but I don’t have the time or patience to sit there and maintain the fire. I love just setting the temp and not worrying about it. Especially on the 20 hour plus cooks. Also comes up to temp in 15 min. More power to the traditionalist, I may turn to doing it that way down the road, but as of now, I am enjoying some good old smoked deliciousness.

Edit: Since Jason isn’t over here Ninja

No shame in doing things your speed. That’s what makes it enjoyable and seem less like work and more like fun. I think we’ve all got great grill tips, but no grill is the same I’ve learned very quickly. Same with smokers.

I don’t think I noticed if your smoker was electric or coal/wood? I’m guessing maybe electric since you said it comes up to temp in 15 minutes? Either way, smokers make good meat. Pork Loins are great on the smoker.

Good luck with your experiments. I’m sure you will have fun. Plus, it’s a little difficult to mess up meat on a smoker. Your going to get praises for awhile, even when you forget what time it is. Well, unless a day or two passes, then your kinda screwed.

Reply/Quote
Thanks Harley! It is an electric pellet fed smoker. I’ve done a few pork loins and they smoke up pretty good. Normally cut them in half or thirds and freeze the other parts for later use. Smoke em to 150 ish and let them rest. Nice and juicy also make good samiches the next few days. Have been making some homemade smoked roast beef lately. Use a eye of round or sirloin roast and cook to 135ish, rest, slice thin. Also makes great samiches for a couple days.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 10:27 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I do take a lot of pictures of the cooks, just not sure how to post them from my phone w/ out it being just a small attachment.

I wish that I could help you on that one, but I only do the board from my laptop at home.  I haven't ever installed the board mobile app, as on my job I need to be at full attention.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Venison anything. Deer meat is made for smokin'!
Reply/Quote
Ive been using my Weber grill as a smoker last few years, but once I move some point this year or next, I am going to get a stick burner for smoking. I can do ribs decent and chicken, but it just isnt the same tho. Plus I want to get into doing butts
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 04:24 PM)snowy Wrote: Venison anything. Deer meat is made for smokin'!

I would like to try some venison. I’m not a fan of gamey meat. Is there a better “cut” of venison, that’s less gamey, I could convince one of my coworkers to share and try? Have a couple that hunt and they would probably be more then willing to part ways with some even if it took a couple of bucks Ninja ?
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 08:27 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ive been using my Weber grill as a smoker last few years, but once I move some point this year or next, I am going to get a stick burner for smoking. I can do ribs decent and chicken, but it just isnt the same tho. Plus I want to get into doing butts

My previous grill that I used to use (charbroil red), had U shaped cast iron below the grates. Worked great w/ wood chips. Just throw them in there and smoked up pretty good. The new charbroil I bought wasn’t designed that way so had to do foil packs. It worked but not what I was looking for.

Stick burner would be fun and would work great, that’s what I think of when smoking. I probably will get one down the road. Pork butts are cheap, lots o meat, and very, very, hard to screw up. I highly recommend a thermometer you can monitor from a distance. I got a cheap one for Xmas a few years ago but going to get a new one soon.
Reply/Quote
Cure4CF Wrote:I would like to try some venison. I’m not a fan of gamey meat. Is there a better “cut” of venison, that’s less gamey, I could convince one of my coworkers to share and try?  Have a couple that hunt and they would probably be more then willing to part ways with some even if it took a couple of bucks Ninja ?

I'm sorry, I don't know. I don't hunt or cook the stuff; I just eat it. What I had most recently was in smoked sausage form, and I didn't think it was at all gamey, or even wild-tasting. It was, however, awesome. I also had some kind of roast that was very good, but considerably "wilder". One thing I remember hearing: deer is very lean, and you need to either brine the meat to start breaking down proteins and add moisture, or add fat to keep it from drying out in the process. I don't think you could go wrong with slathering on seasonings then wrapping a hunk o' venison in bacon :drool:
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 09:36 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I got a Traeger smoker about mid summer last year and have been very pleased with it.  I use it about 2 times a week but more lately since remodeling my kitchen.  Have smoked 5 or 6 pork butts, ribs, a couple whole briskets (when Kroger had them on sale), salmon, whole chickens, every piece of chicken you can get (thighs and wings are great), corn on the cob, hot dogs and different sausages.  

Some “different” things I’ve tried is a whole thing of bologna (tasted like bbq hot dogs), Brussel sprouts, hard boiled eggs, potatoes.  Haven’t tried cheeses yet or made jerky (I use my dehydrator for jerky).  Any strange things I should try?

It’s almost like a convection oven w/ smoke. Everything comes out moist and delicious w/ a hint of Smokey goodness. The bad or not so good thing is sometime the skin is a little chewy but if you take it off a little before it’s done and throw it on the grill or oven it comes out crispy.  I haven’t tried just cranking the heat up on it at this point but will down the road.

Anybody else have one or something similar?  Boss got a similar brand and loves it.  Any smoking recipes?  

P.S.  I know the purist hate it but I don’t have the time or patience to sit there and maintain the fire.  I love just setting the temp and not worrying about it.  Especially on the 20 hour plus cooks. Also comes up to temp in 15 min. More power to the  traditionalist, I may turn to doing it that way down the road, but as of now, I am enjoying some good old smoked deliciousness.

Edit:  Since Jason isn’t over here Ninja

Hell man, I use a stick burner, and with some very slight modifications, I can get up to temp within twenty to thirty minutes, and hold temps for around 7 to 8 hours.  Once you learn how to set your dampers, it pretty much handles it on it's own.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 08:35 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I would like to try some venison. I’m not a fan of gamey meat. Is there a better “cut” of venison, that’s less gamey, I could convince one of my coworkers to share and try?  Have a couple that hunt and they would probably be more then willing to part ways with some even if it took a couple of bucks Ninja ?

A good way to remove the gamey taste is to soak in buttermilk for 24 hours. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 05:51 PM)snowy Wrote: I'm sorry, I don't know. I don't hunt or cook the stuff; I just eat it. What I had most recently was in smoked sausage form, and I didn't think it was at all gamey, or even wild-tasting. It was, however, awesome. I also had some kind of roast that was very good, but considerably "wilder". One thing I remember hearing: deer is very lean, and you need to either brine the meat to start breaking down proteins and add moisture, or add fat to keep it from drying out in the process. I don't think you could go wrong with slathering on seasonings then wrapping a hunk o' venison in bacon :drool:

Injections FTW :andy:

You can also smoke it "naked" for the first four to five hours (meat stops taking on smoke taste after this time anyway), then wrap it in foil to finish.  That way, it kind of braises itself in its own juices.  Doesn't hurt to spritz it or mop it before foiling it as well.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 10:24 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: Ha!  I thought crack didn’t make ya hungry (just guessing) and since this is in the food forum.....

On that note though, I have thought about a thread “cooking w/ weed man” but think people wouldn’t reply because of being paranoid. That show on viceland is pretty interesting.

I love the cooking shows on Viceland.....especially **** That's Delicious with Action Bronson.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 09:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: I love the cooking shows on Viceland.....especially **** That's Delicious with Action Bronson.

That's not a "cooking" show.  That is an "eating" show.  But I like it also.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 08:27 PM)Millhouse Wrote:  Plus I want to get into doing butts

PM me.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 06:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: PM me.

Volunteering for the job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote