Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Smoking
(05-16-2018, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That's not a "cooking" show.  That is an "eating" show.  But I like it also.

Well, true, but they do spend some time in the kitchen, and every once in a while, Action does some cooking of his own.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 09:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well, true, but they do spend some time in the kitchen, and every once in a while, Action does some cooking of his own.

Im not a big Action Bronson fan. 

You should check out Matty Matheson though. Hes hilarious and does a lot of cooking. I also recommend a channel called "Food Wishes" and "Binging with Babish". Babish makes dishes that are popular in TV shows and movies. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 03:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im not a big Action Bronson fan. 

Dude is so high all the time I think they could give him a pile of rat turds and he would go crazy over them.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dude is so high all the time I think they could give him a pile of rat turds and he would go crazy over them.

LMAO.....that's true.  That said, they go to some rather amazing places and the food looks awesome.  Some of his ensembles don't look too bad either.  I dig the show.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 03:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im not a big Action Bronson fan. 

You should check out Matty Matheson though. Hes hilarious and does a lot of cooking. I also recommend a channel called "Food Wishes" and "Binging with Babish". Babish makes dishes that are popular in TV shows and movies. 

I've never heard dude's music outside of that show, but I like the vibe and the places they go.

Thanks for the tip on Matheson, I'll have to check him out.  What show/channel is he on?

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 12:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: I've never heard dude's music outside of that show, but I like the vibe and the places they go.

Thanks for the tip on Matheson, I'll have to check him out.  What show/channel is he on?

Its on munchies. I think hes hilarious but he may not be for everyone. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT9QeDqZbWc
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'm getting a couple pork loins for this weekend. Going to smoke one on my weber and smoke on in my new vertical charcoal smoker.  I've never used the charcoal smoker before.  Any idea how long I should expect it to take to smoke the loin?  is it based on weight? Is keeping the smoker at 225 the optimal temp?  I can do this blindfolded on my weber, but in this new smoker, I'm a virgin.  Any tips to the trade will be most appreciated. 

Have a great Memorial Day weekend guys! To all you veterans out there, Thank you!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 03:10 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm getting a couple pork loins for this weekend. Going to smoke one on my weber and smoke on in my new vertical charcoal smoker.  I've never used the charcoal smoker before.  Any idea how long I should expect it to take to smoke the loin?  is it based on weight? Is keeping the smoker at 225 the optimal temp?  I can do this blindfolded on my weber, but in this new smoker, I'm a virgin.  Any tips to the trade will be most appreciated. 

Have a great Memorial Day weekend guys! To all you veterans out there, Thank you!

I smoke my shoulders at 250 on my upright.....which has an offset firebox.  What style is yours?

For me, I cook to temp, regardless of time....190-195 on shoulders....then rest in a cooler stuffed with towels for at least two hours.

Rule of thumb on my upright is about 1.5 hours per pound, at 250.  

I'm doing 20 pounds of Boston Butt and a 15 pound turkey this Saturday myself.  Got a big ol mess of collards to whip up, and all kinds of fixins via potluck from about 40 of my closest friends, we gon' eat!

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend as well.....and always, hat's off to our wonderful men and women who served/serve. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 03:10 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm getting a couple pork loins for this weekend. Going to smoke one on my weber and smoke on in my new vertical charcoal smoker.  I've never used the charcoal smoker before.  Any idea how long I should expect it to take to smoke the loin?  is it based on weight? Is keeping the smoker at 225 the optimal temp?  I can do this blindfolded on my weber, but in this new smoker, I'm a virgin.  Any tips to the trade will be most appreciated. 

Personally for a loin, I would smoke it at 225sh until the internal temp reaches around 145 using a meat thermometer (2-3 hours or so). Then wrap it in foil until ready to eat. And since it is lean with little fat in it, I would do a light injection of some sort of apple juice concoction, or a nice long marinade of something not to overpowering.

This link just lets you know I am not talking out my rear on this, as most bbq'rs seem to agree that this is the overall best approach for a loin. Key though is the internal temp.
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/pork/smoked-pork-tenderloins

Happy Memorial Days to all!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2018, 10:44 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Personally for a loin, I would smoke it at 225sh until the internal temp reaches around 145 using a meat thermometer (2-3 hours or so). Then wrap it in foil until ready to eat. And since it is lean with little fat in it, I would do a light injection of some sort of apple juice concoction, or a nice long marinade of something not to overpowering.

This link just lets you know I am not talking out my rear on this, as most bbq'rs seem to agree that this is the overall best approach for a loin. Key though is the internal temp.
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/pork/smoked-pork-tenderloins

Happy Memorial Days to all!

Good call on the injection. 

Yeah....195 is way too high for a loin....I rarely smoke those. I have found that temp is the sweet spot on butt and brisket.....renders all of that fat and connective tissue, turning the meat into melt in your mouth.  Especially after resting....which you wouldn't need to rest a loin.  Of course, I figured he knew that considering he said he knocked em out on his Weber all the time.

Reply/Quote

How to bbq right is my go to when looking for time and temps.

http://howtobbqright.com/2017/05/15/smoked-lemon-pepper-pork-loin/

He says it doesn’t matter which or what type of smoker, just maintain the smoker to whatever temp the recipe calls for and cook the food to a certain temp as well.

I highly recommend a temp probe so you can keep the lid closed as much as possible. I’m sure it will turn out great however you do it!
Reply/Quote
I’ve got two big steaks on the Webber grill as we speak. I threw on a handful of wet woodchips left over I didn’t use from the weekend. Anyone ever ‘smoke’ steak before?
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Has anyone ever used an apple butter glaze on their ribs before? How did you use it? How did they turn out?

Reply/Quote
Smoke weed not your meat !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
To me though nothing beats a good smoked brisket.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 11:00 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Has anyone ever used an apple butter glaze on their ribs before?  How did you use it?  How did they turn out?

No, but that sounds killer.  

I use the 2-2-1 method.  I smoke with a dry rub for 2 hours.  Next, I put butter, honey or maple syrup, little splash of apple cider, and a little more rub on a sheet of foil.  I lay the rib face down in that mixture, and smoke for another 2 hours in the foil.  Then, pull back out.....gotta be careful here, they will literally fall apart on you from essentially braising in that mixture.  Back in the smoker for about an hour to "set" the rib and make stay together.  Damn, I'm getting hungry just typing this shit.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 07:58 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I’ve got two big steaks on the Webber grill as we speak.  I threw on a handful of wet woodchips left over I didn’t use from the weekend.  Anyone ever ‘smoke’ steak before?

My parents swear by smoking steaks. I tried it once and thought it was pretty dry. In defense, though, the steak had been frozen (thawed when cooking) and my dad got sidetracked and left it on about 20 minutes too long. But according to him, heat the smoker up to 250, throw the steaks on and turn it off. Let it set for 20 minutes, open and turn the steaks a quarter turn. Then let it set for 10 more minutes for medium, 15 for medium well or 25 for well done.

(06-14-2018, 09:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: No, but that sounds killer.  

I use the 2-2-1 method.  I smoke with a dry rub for 2 hours.  Next, I put butter, honey or maple syrup, little splash of apple cider, and a little more rub on a sheet of foil.  I lay the rib face down in that mixture, and smoke for another 2 hours in the foil.  Then, pull back out.....gotta be careful here, they will literally fall apart on you from essentially braising in that mixture.  Back in the smoker for about an hour to "set" the rib and make stay together.  Damn, I'm getting hungry just typing this shit.

Damn that's a lot of work. I rub, smoke for two hours at 200-215. Pull them off, brush with bourbon bbq sauce and then broil them in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Take them out, wrap in foil and let set for a half hour and done.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 12:41 AM)Benton Wrote: My parents swear by smoking steaks. I tried it once and thought it was pretty dry. In defense, though, the steak had been frozen (thawed when cooking) and my dad got sidetracked and left it on about 20 minutes too long. But according to him, heat the smoker up to 250, throw the steaks on and turn it off. Let it set for 20 minutes, open and turn the steaks a quarter turn. Then let it set for 10 more minutes for medium, 15 for medium well or 25 for well done.

Damn that's a lot of work. I rub, smoke for two hours at 200-215. Pull them off, brush with bourbon bbq sauce and then broil them in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Take them out, wrap in foil and let set for a half hour and done.

Not too bad.....but it's worth it.  I'd say your method makes for a mean rib too.

Reply/Quote
Oh knock it off    Be a real man and go build a real smokehouse in your backyard!  Be a man!  Annoy all the neighbors with billows of smoke that go on for weeks at a time!  
[Image: pncKghCAj]

In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: Oh knock it off    Be a real man and go build a real smokehouse in your backyard!  Be a man!  Annoy all the neighbors with billows of smoke that go on for weeks at a time!  
[Image: pncKghCAj]

That would be an awesome jerkey house. Side note, when I first got the Traeger, I was a little concerned about annoying the neighbors w/ the smoke. They never said anything so that thought left my mind for the most part.
Reply/Quote