Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sneaky good center/guard class
I'm finishing up most of my offensive line scouting and while the Tackle class is pretty loaded I don't expect most of the top guys to make it out of the first round. I think one consideration that could be made for round 2 this year would be to draft the center Cushenberry from LSU. While on paper we have Trey Hopkins and he has played well, he is also a versatile player who can be moved around and I really like the idea of having a center/QB combo that has great success together.

The more I dive into this draft I find it very hard to mock an Offensive tackle with where we are drafting and our needs early in the draft. With getting back Jonah Williams and the development of Fred Johnson things could be looking up next year on the offensive line.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 09:59 PM)Okeana Wrote: I'm finishing up most of my offensive line scouting and while the Tackle class is pretty loaded I don't expect most of the top guys to make it out of the first round.  I think one consideration that could be made for round 2 this year would be to draft the center Cushenberry from LSU.  While on paper we have Trey Hopkins and he has played well, he is also a versatile player who can be moved around and I really like the idea of having a center/QB combo that has great success together.  

The more I dive into this draft I find it very hard to mock an Offensive tackle with where we are drafting and our needs early in the draft.  With getting back Jonah Williams and the development of Fred Johnson things could be looking up next year on the offensive line.

I like Hennessy
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 09:59 PM)Okeana Wrote: I'm finishing up most of my offensive line scouting and while the Tackle class is pretty loaded I don't expect most of the top guys to make it out of the first round.  I think one consideration that could be made for round 2 this year would be to draft the center Cushenberry from LSU.  While on paper we have Trey Hopkins and he has played well, he is also a versatile player who can be moved around and I really like the idea of having a center/QB combo that has great success together.  

The more I dive into this draft I find it very hard to mock an Offensive tackle with where we are drafting and our needs early in the draft.  With getting back Jonah Williams and the development of Fred Johnson things could be looking up next year on the offensive line.

With all the holes on the roster, center is probably the position the Bengals are least likely to address high in the draft. I'd be slightly surprised if they go O-line in the 2nd in general for the reason you laid. I agree in that I think they're going to give Fred Johnson a chance to play RT next year.

Coach Lou had an interview a few weeks back where he acknowledged he wouldn't be able to lobby for a defensive player in the first but that they needed help at all three levels of defense.  And after focusing more on offense last year and short of a few defensive starters being added in FA, I think they go heavier on defense in rounds 2-4.
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't surprise me to see the Bengals get a guard in Rds 2-4.
It's no secret that both Jordan and Price failed miserably at LG this past year and should be relegated to backup duty.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wouldn't surprise me to see the Bengals get a guard in Rds 2-4.
It's no secret that both Jordan and Price failed miserably at LG this past year and should be relegated to backup duty.

You aren't going to like this, I don't think they view Jordan as failing miserably this year at guard. Rookie O linemen tend to take a little time to get going and I think he flashed enough at times that they will keep trying to get him more reps. 

That said I think Damien Lewis could be a nice day 3 pick at guard if we wanted to add to the interior. 
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't say Jordan failed miserably, just that he was the youngest player in the NFL last year and was too green.

He did improve as the year wore on and even if he's not there yet, he could be there soon.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 12:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I wouldn't say Jordan failed miserably, just that he was the youngest player in the NFL last year and was too green.

He did improve as the year wore on and even if he's not there yet, he could be there soon.

He was? I didn't know that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He was? I didn't know that.

He wasn't, I lied Sad

I misread something and he was definitely one of the 20 youngest players, from what I can find, but I made a mistake Sad
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It's a good year to need offensive line this draft class is strong (Tackle, Guard, and Center)...of course every team needs linemen and they will go quick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Can Cushenberry play Guard? Hopkins looks so much better at Center than Guard from what I have seen.

Never been impressed with Hop at Guard at all honestly. If we go inside on the Line this early we better get a RT in FA like Conklin.

I don't trust Fred Johnson yet, haven't seen anything from him, just heard he played good in one game at the end of the year.
Reply/Quote