Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Dennard playing better?
I asked this inside of another thread but what do you all think about Dennard.

I may be wrong but he seems to be improving now that he is getting playing time.

I don't like Marvin's pattern of sitting high draft choices on the bench for one or two years.

They cannot get better and transition to NFL riding the wood.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 03:59 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I asked this inside of another thread but what do you all think about Dennard.

I may be wrong but he seems to be improving now that he is getting playing time.

I don't like Marvin's pattern of sitting high draft choices on the bench for one or two years.

They cannot get better and transition to NFL riding the wood.
He wasn't sitting him he was always hurt I mean always that's why he hasn't really ever seen the field 
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 04:11 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He wasn't sitting him he was always hurt I mean always that's why he hasn't really ever seen the field 

That's what I thought as well.  Last year he was set for more playing time and couldn't stay on the field.  He had a nice game vs. Buffalo and made some plays.

Regardless, I hope they keep Josh Shaw at nickel corner, he seems to have found a niche there.  IF (and its a big if) our guys stay healthy and pan out, we have a pretty good young secondary:

Dennard
Dre
Shaw
WJ3
Reply/Quote
I think he's improved as the season has gone on. If WJ3 can live up to his pedigree and we can resign Dre for a reasonable price our secondary looks young and athletic. I'm also excited to see what Russell can do. This would also help us come draft time where we wouldn't need to draft a DB early and could focus on Pass rush on Dline and athleticism at LB.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 04:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's what I thought as well.  Last year he was set for more playing time and couldn't stay on the field.  He had a nice game vs. Buffalo and made some plays.

Regardless, I hope they keep Josh Shaw at nickel corner, he seems to have found a niche there.  IF (and its a big if) our guys stay healthy and pan out, we have a pretty good young secondary:

Dennard
Dre
Shaw
WJ3

He struggled early in year 2 long bombs of 50 plus in Steelers game but has really played better. Mock draft has us taking The best corner in lattinore at 8 just FYI... Personally think we trade down 10 spots and get eifling who just won the Remington in first year as center . but if we lose Dre should take him 
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 05:15 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He struggled early in year 2 long bombs of 50 plus in Steelers game but has really played better. Mock draft has us taking The best corner in lattinore at 8 just FYI... Personally think we trade down 10 spots and get eifling who just won the Remington in first year as center . but if we lose Dre should take him 

is that the OSU center I would love that.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 05:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: is that the OSU center I would love that.

Yeah his first year at center 2 I would really love to go all osu in the first round trade down to 18 get eifling then use 3rd rounder we got when we traded down and a 5th Comp pick to move back into first maybe the Browns second first rounder somewhere in the early to mid 20s and get raquan McMillan the beat lb IMHO in the draft dude is a hybrid thumper in run game but coverage skills are great. 
Reply/Quote
I think he's playing a little bit better but is still our 5th or 6th best player in the secondary. WJ3 and Derron Smith could surpass him next year in that ranking.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
He's too slow to keep up with fast WRs at CB, and that's not something you can really get better at.

He needs to put on 5-10lbs and move to safety. He MUST have better hands than Iloka's stone hands, and we already know he can tackle better than Williams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 06:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's too slow to keep up with fast WRs at CB, and that's not something you can really get better at.

He needs to put on 5-10lbs and move to safety. He MUST have better hands than Iloka's stone hands, and we already know he can tackle better than Williams.

Likewise, I think Dennard could use his physicality as an outside in press-man or a cover 2 zone scheme (where he would also be good in run support). 
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 06:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's too slow to keep up with fast WRs at CB, and that's not something you can really get better at.

Heard the same thing about Hall and he was one of the best in the league during his prime.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 09:22 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Heard the same thing about Hall and he was one of the best in the league during his prime.

Dennard ran 4.51
Hall ran 4.39

When people said that about Hall, the division had young Mike Wallace in it.

Dennard also does not have Zimmer.

Reply/Quote
Dennard is playing much better with more snaps, he just needs to stay healthy and he could be a top CB.

We have some really talented young corners and Kirkpatrick has stepped it up this year and i think we ought to keep him around.

Love Shaw as well. Maybe we can just use Adam as a Returner next year. Excited to see WJ3 in the future too.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 09:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dennard ran 4.51
Hall ran 4.39

When people said that about Hall, the division had young Mike Wallace in it.

Dennard also does not have Zimmer.

You put that much stock in forty times eh?

I don't.

Fast on the field is what matters and Dennard does not look slow out there.
Reply/Quote
I think he's improved the more playing time he's gotten. He's physical, and a better open field tackler than Williams. I've always thought he'd be better on the outside. But he's found his niche in the D. Our secondary as a whole improved over the season. Good sign for 2017 if we can re-sign Dre.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 08:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You put that much stock in forty times eh?

I don't.

They need to take him outta the slot. He plays better on the outside. I loved the pick when they took him. I think he'll turn out to be pretty good, he just needs snaps. With Shaw at S, he's been getting it. I think we'll grow to love him as he improves.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 08:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You put that much stock in forty times eh?

I don't.

Who says I put that much stock in 40 times? It is a nice reference, though. Dennard looks too slow to cover fast WRs to my eyes, and his 40 time just reinforces that. If there was zero point to it, they wouldn't have it.

When I see him in coverage on someone who runs deep, he is normally well behind them. Some players play faster than their 40, Dennard doesn't seem to be one of them.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 03:59 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I don't like Marvin's pattern of sitting high draft choices on the bench for one or two years.

I get so tired of hearing this crap. Lewis and Tobin are drafting, for the most part, needs of the team several years down the road. It's a luxury we have due to the quality of players on this team. There is not much better situation to be in than to have first round corners sitting and learning from Pro Bowl Corners for several years before throwing them to the fire. But no, people want to whine because the kids aren't starting in front of the starters, even though the starters were also first rounders with experience and playing at a high level. If this team gets to the point it has to start rookies, regardless of draft status, it has taken a giant step backwards.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 09:47 PM)jason Wrote: They need to take him outta the slot. He plays better on the outside. I loved the pick when they took him. I think he'll turn out to be pretty good, he just needs snaps. With Shaw at S, he's been getting it. I think we'll grow to love him as he improves.

:andy:

(12-10-2016, 11:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Who says I put that much stock in 40 times? It is a nice reference, though. Dennard looks too slow to cover fast WRs to my eyes, and his 40 time just reinforces that. If there was zero point to it, they wouldn't have it.

When I see him in coverage on someone who runs deep, he is normally well behind them. Some players play faster than their 40, Dennard doesn't seem to be one of them.

Wonder why this slow guy was drafted in the first round and was the main player in Michigan States "No Fly Zone".
Reply/Quote