Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So 1 of those INTs against the Steelers was Andy's fault and one wasn't right?
Not trying to focus on the negative, but I'm curious about a breakdown of our weak points in the game (missed field goal, two bad snaps from shotgun, lots of missed blocks).

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One could argue the long int was actually a good play lol. Was like a really good punt.

The endzone int was definitely on Andy, but everyone makes mistakes. Should have ran it at least once on that redzone series.
Reply/Quote
I really like the long 3rd down/int passes. Ben R. and J. Flacco do this as well. If you're backed up in your endzone, and it's 3rd and longish - go long if you want. Turn it into (hopefully) a nonreturnable punt at the worst. AJ had a very good chance.

I don't care about those mistakes. The endzone pass is a no-no but Andy knows that. It's all a learning experience.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:31 PM)Pezmerga Wrote: One could argue the long int was actually a good play lol. Was like a really good punt.

The endzone int was definitely on Andy, but everyone makes mistakes.  Should have ran it at least once on that redzone series.

Between the pass and the penalty, I think they netted close to 70 yards in field position.  It was actually way better than a punt would have been.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:33 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I really like the long 3rd down/int passes. Ben R. and J. Flacco do this as well. If you're backed up in your endzone, and it's 3rd and longish - go long if you want. Turn it into (hopefully) a nonreturnable punt at the worst. AJ had a very good chance.

I don't care about those mistakes. The endzone pass is a no-no but Andy knows that. It's all a learning experience.

That's a good point. You get the same field position you would've with a punt. 

Reply/Quote
I remember commenting to my dad he shouldn't have picked it, look at their field position. Usually on long pass plays though it's possible to return it, and now you have offensive players on the field that might not know how to tackle correctly, they're taught to avoid defenders not go at them lol. regardless flacco and Ben do this often (deep from their endzone, 50 yard pass, might even get PI).
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:30 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Not trying to focus on the negative, but I'm curious about a breakdown of our weak points in the game (missed field goal, two bad snaps from shotgun, lots of missed blocks).

Overall you could call the deep ball to AJ a hail mary punt basically...

But It was in a decent spot just a step behind aj i think it hit his sholder pad...
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Overall you could call the deep ball to AJ a hail mary punt basically...

But It was in a decent spot just a step behind aj i think it hit his sholder pad...

AJ actually had a decent shot at that ball.  Had he jumped and high-pointed the ball he likely would have come down with it.  He (AJ) catches a lot of high passes but rarely does he leave the ground with both arms to high-point the ball.  And for good reason cause you see what can happen (reference the play this pass week to Marvin Jones...a.k.a Gumby).
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:56 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: AJ actually had a decent shot at that ball.  Had he jumped and high-pointed the ball he likely would have come down with it.  He (AJ) catches a lot of high passes but rarely does he leave the ground with both arms to high-point the ball.  And for good reason cause you see what can happen (reference the play this pass week to Marvin Jones...a.k.a Gumby).

I think if you threw that same pass and circumstances 10 times, AJ catches it 7 times.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't too mad about the second interception. The ball was JUST short and bounced off of AJ's shoulder. It was an opportunistic play by Pittsburgh that basically resulted in a punt.

The first one was a bad decision. However, it's not so much the redzone interceptions that bother me. It's the fact that whenever Andy is picked off in the redzone, the entire offense just disappears and the ball is returned like 50 yards. Almost every single time. It's infuriating.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
End zone INT, 100% on him.
Long bomb INT, still on him, but given the context of the throw and the play call, you could live with one of those per game.

Again, the ones that concern me are blatant misreads or poor throws. I don't care if Andy ends up with 15 INT, if most of them are like the second INT Sunday, fine. It's the one's like the end zone throw, the easy TE overthrow in the seam or the forced throw into sideline traffic that makes people question Dalton's acumen.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 04:18 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: End zone INT, 100% on him.
Long bomb INT, still on him, but given the context of the throw and the play call, you could live with one of those per game.

Again, the ones that concern me are blatant misreads or poor throws.  I don't care if Andy ends up with 15 INT, if most of them are like the second INT Sunday, fine.  It's the one's like the end zone throw, the easy TE overthrow in the seam or the forced throw into sideline traffic that makes people question Dalton's acumen.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:30 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Not trying to focus on the negative, but I'm curious about a breakdown of our weak points in the game (missed field goal, two bad snaps from shotgun, lots of missed blocks).

Don't know if you included it in your 2 bad snaps from the gun, but one of those hit andy right in the hands but bounced off as he took his eyes off it a second to early. Bodine did not play great, but that one was on Andy not him.
Reply/Quote

No, they were both on Dalton. One hit the defender in the shoulder and deflected up. If that defender had turned around it would have still been picked off. On the one in the endzone, Dalton didn't see the safety. So like most INTs, they are on the QB. The fumbled snap where Dalton looked away was also assigned to Dalton. Originally, it was assigned to Bodine, but was later changed by the officials.

Reply/Quote
That endzone one was both a bad read and a bad playcall. We really need to take the endzone fade out of our redzone offense playbook as it almost never works.
Reply/Quote
Knew it was an off day when Eifert dropped a surefire first down pass on 3rd and short. That's a rarity.

Pac also got a dumb penalty pushing the helmet of a Steeler.

Plenty of things to correct.
Reply/Quote
Bodine has been up and down specifically down against the AFCN, but I'm not sold those shotgun snap issues were on him..... They seemed catchable. Dalton seemed to take his eye off the ball early. I mean he was going thought the start of a qb sneak without the ball. Something was off with that and I'm not sure it was on Bodine.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The thing about snaps though is the standard isn't just "catchable". Good centers put them right on the money with machinelike precision. Even catchable snaps that do not reliably go to the exact same spot disrupt the timing of plays. And yes this is a major problem Bodine has to fix or I expect we'll be looking elsewhere for a Center.
Reply/Quote
True Joe.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:37 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I remember commenting to my dad he shouldn't have picked it, look at their field position. Usually on long pass plays though it's possible to return it, and now you have offensive players on the field that might not know how to tackle correctly, they're taught to avoid defenders not go at them lol. regardless flacco and Ben do this often (deep from their endzone, 50 yard pass, might even get PI).

That may have been true in the past, but now it seems like every punt play involves a penalty for the return team if not the kicking team, as well regardless of the length of the return.  Plus you can give up a first down just by breathing on the punter, so you're better off taking the pick I'd wager.
Reply/Quote