Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So 1 of those INTs against the Steelers was Andy's fault and one wasn't right?
(11-04-2015, 04:18 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: End zone INT, 100% on him.
Long bomb INT, still on him, but given the context of the throw and the play call, you could live with one of those per game.

Again, the ones that concern me are blatant misreads or poor throws.  I don't care if Andy ends up with 15 INT, if most of them are like the second INT Sunday, fine.  It's the one's like the end zone throw, the easy TE overthrow in the seam or the forced throw into sideline traffic that makes people question Dalton's acumen.

really all that from one bad passer game. but one hell of a win over a rival, that when you play them its mostly about emotion and not scheme?
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 05:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bodine has been up and down specifically down against the AFCN, but I'm not sold those shotgun snap issues were on him..... They seemed catchable. Dalton seemed to take his eye off the ball early. I mean he was going thought the start of a qb sneak without the ball. Something was off with that and I'm not sure it was on Bodine.

not playing  blame but he snapped the one through the left guards legs. how did andy manage to make him do that?
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:37 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I remember commenting to my dad he shouldn't have picked it, look at their field position. Usually on long pass plays though it's possible to return it, and now you have offensive players on the field that might not know how to tackle correctly, they're taught to avoid defenders not go at them lol. regardless flacco and Ben do this often (deep from their endzone, 50 yard pass, might even get PI).

This. I had no problem with that call or outcome. You throw it deep, your guy may come down with it, you may get a DPI call, or if its an INT, its as good as a punt. The worst outcome is an incompletion...and you still get to punt it after that.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 07:17 PM)Beaker Wrote: This. I had no problem with that call or outcome. You throw it deep, your guy may come down with it, you may get a DPI call, or if its an INT, its as good as a punt. The worst outcome is an incompletion...and you still get to punt it after that.

No, the worst outcome is an interception with a long return.  In this case it worked out great, but I've seen many long int. returns off of long passes.  There's usually lots of running room, not like a punt where everyone is sprinting down to cover.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They were both bad throws, though you'll have some that will say otherwise. The deep ball to Green was almost u catchable and double covered. You can't underthrow balls when throwing into double coverage. I don't see how the end zone INT was really even more of a bad decision than this one.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 07:23 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: They were both bad throws, though you'll have some that will say otherwise.  The deep ball to Green was almost u catchable and double covered.  You can't underthrow balls when throwing into double coverage.  I don't see how the end zone INT was really even more of a bad decision than this one.

Situation......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I believe Andy just trusted the play design and the safety didn't play it the way Hue thought. Andy threw (the endzone) it too short and didn't get enough loft on it. He rainbows it a bit and MJ is the only one who would have had a chance.

The long int. was just a little off the mark. Most of the time either AJ catches that one or it falls incomplete. Just a strange bounce got it picked off.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I don't like getting into which INT's were the QB's fault because you could do that with any QB. Ultimately, Dalton only has 4 INT's in 7 games and that's a very good total. All QB's not named Rodgers or Brady make bad decisions and throw picks. Not all picks are great plays by the defense. Most are just bad decisions and some are poor accuracy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I give Andy props for going for that deep ball it was like 3rd and 25 most teams in a situation like that throw a short pass for better punt position.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Situation......

Situation doesn't make it any better of a throw though.  I'm not complaining about it. The dude is playing at an all-pro level, I'm just pointing out that we don't need to try to "blame" the INTs on other players to make him look good anymore.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:56 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: AJ actually had a decent shot at that ball.  Had he jumped and high-pointed the ball he likely would have come down with it.  He (AJ) catches a lot of high passes but rarely does he leave the ground with both arms to high-point the ball.  And for good reason cause you see what can happen (reference the play this pass week to Marvin Jones...a.k.a Gumby).
Good point but Green had defenders next to him in stride, I thought he should have caught te ball. A bit behind him but he is the big dog
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:06 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Good point but Green had defenders next to him in stride, I thought he should have caught te ball. A bit behind him but he is the big dog

AJ makes some awesome catches...but rarely do you see him fight for a ball. That has been my only beef with him.
Reply/Quote
On the deep pick I was astonished that A) We called a deep pass play. B) Andy threw the ball C) Green was pretty open on the play and D) that it didn't succeed. Really thought that was a great chance, but it all worked out.
Reply/Quote
I started a thread about AD and his passer rating floor during the off-season. After a LOT of research, it was evident that while AD CAN have awesome games, he was more prone than the average NFL starter to have a bad game and, when he did have a bad game, those low passer ratings were lower than the average bad game from most starting QBs. I know that last sentence is a long one, so here is the thread for anyone who wants to reference it: http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-Andy-Dalton-and-the-QBR-Floor-Theory

As a conclusion, I surmised that if AD were to raise his average "bad game" passer rating up 15 points to around 70, and have fewer of those bad games, the Bengals would win those close games and be an amazing team. I felt like that the Bengals had enough talent on the roster to make up for a lower passer rating around there.

^ Well, it looks like that has happened! His rating against the Steelers was 64.7... PERFECTLY within reason for the Bengals to have a chance to win. And that was by far his worst game of the season. He wasn't bad. He just wasn't in the 100s or 90s. Which can happen sometimes. It's the NFL and the other teams are really good sometimes, especially the Steelers.

To ANYONE complaining about AD's play, WTF?!?!? He has been outstanding! Even his "bad" game was a HUGE win and he played really well for most of that game. He outplayed a future HOF QB by miles. I wasn't a fan of some of the offensive calls and I think that put the team in a tough spot on some occasions, but it is what it is.... A HUGE WIN. AD has been absolutely amazing for the first 7 games. AMAZING!!!! Nothing to complain about at all with the Bengals QB. Not one thing.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 03:30 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Not trying to focus on the negative, but I'm curious about a breakdown of our weak points in the game (missed field goal, two bad snaps from shotgun, lots of missed blocks).

The end zone int also should never have happened, as AJ was getting mugged in the end zone the play before. They call that and it's ball at the one for an easy score. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 10:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Situation doesn't make it any better of a throw though.  I'm not complaining about it. The dude is playing at an all-pro level, I'm just pointing out that we don't need to try to "blame" the INTs on other players to make him look good anymore.

Agreed....but it wasn't the decision that was bad, it was the accuracy on the deep ball.  In other words....the situation dictated the decision.  It was a high reward gamble that didn't pay off in the way we wanted....but ultimately, the result was the next best thing that could have happened.  It wasn't THAT bad of a thow though.  It was essentially thrown up for grabs , and the wrong guys grabbed it.  AJ had a shot.....the throw being off and a slight mis time on the jump resulted in the pick.  The other was a bad read....bad throw....bad decision.  That's the difference.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 07:22 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: No, the worst outcome is an interception with a long return.  In this case it worked out great, but I've seen many long int. returns off of long passes.  There's usually lots of running room, not like a punt where everyone is sprinting down to cover.

Exactly!
Reply/Quote