Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Dad wanted to redo the outdoor bar..
My father, being fantastic guy that he is, decided to enlist my help with another project in his backyard entertaining area. The aforementioned area has a bit of a history. It started out life as a simple patio addition with a simple pergola with a bar top made out of treated lumber.

The pergola was beautiful, but not much fun to enjoy as the Sun and heat here in the Southeast is brutal. The next year, he had a hip roof built over it, and it made a world of difference. Then, I helped him wire it, and we installed lighting, outlets, and a ceiling fan. The next year, we built a partial wall on the side away from the bar. I covered the inside face of the wall with 4x8 inch travertine tiles with tumbled edges, and we mounted a flat panel to enjoy football games in the Fall.

Fast forward to present day, and Dad decides he wants to redo the bar top. (also using my tile skills) I knew going in, that this was going to be more of a task than he had envisioned. The treated 2x8's that were in place had the screws counter sunk, with wooden "buttons" glued in the holes to make a smooth, flat surface for outdoor dining. Turns out that the screws, all 90 of them, had the heads wallowed out when they were originally installed. Further complicating matters, was the fact that the glue that Dad had so generously applied when installing the buttons, making it impossible to get a regular drill bit head to turn them out.

Dad was ready to scrap the entire idea, and just putting the buttons back, and forgetting about the whole idea. I asked him if he had a set of those special bits for turning out damaged screws? He had no idea that such a thing existed. We went to the local Lowe's Home Improvement and purchased a set. Let me tell you, those bits make it entirely possible, but in this application, it took a lot of muscle power to get the tool to be effective. Extrapolate that over the course of 90 screws...

So we get the old boards off, clean up the base frame, and installed a double layer of plywood for me to put my backerboard and install tile on. We also bought some 1x4's that we will dress up with the router and stain to frame in the finished product. Dad was pretty worn out, and I gave a little more effort than I typically like to on a Sunday, but seeing him smile made it all worthwhile. He's 73 now, and I'm 51, we just don't kill these projects like we used to, when he was my current age. We'll do the pretty work next weekend, and I'll snap a picture of two so that we can revisit this thread and see the finished project.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Looking forward to the pics. Sounds like a lot of work and a little bit of success in the face of adversity. Sometimes I think when things seem impossible, "Chuck it and lets start from scratch!" Would have been nice to see before pics, pics today and then a follow up of the success. But you robbed us of that. You could have changed my outlook forever, but you failed. LOL

Just kidding. Really looking forward to the pics.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 06:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Looking forward to the pics. Sounds like a lot of work and a little bit of success in the face of adversity. Sometimes I think when things seem impossible, "Chuck it and lets start from scratch!" Would have been nice to see before pics, pics today and then a follow up of the success. But you robbed us of that. You could have changed my outlook forever, but you failed. LOL

Just kidding. Really looking forward to the pics.

I'll have to see, there have been tons of family pics taken out there.  I'm sure there has to be a couple that highlight the bar top in it's original state.  What I really wish, is that I had the presence of mind to shoot some video of the look on Dad's face, when those screws started turning out!  In my mind, that was priceless compared to any number of before and after pics.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 06:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll have to see, there have been tons of family pics taken out there.  I'm sure there has to be a couple that highlight the bar top in it's original state.  What I really wish, is that I had the presence of mind to shoot some video of the look on Dad's face, when those screws started turning out!  In my mind, that was priceless compared to any number of before and after pics.

Dude, that's the best right there. The look when you impress your dad? Priceless! 

Damn you, just missing my dad right now. We had a few moments like that. Once changed the waterpump on a 78 Thunderbird as he sat in the lawn chair supervising (he had cancer and not a lot of energy to help). I had no clue WTF I was doing, but went to Autozone and bought a Haynes manual and went to work. He was impressed (I didn't have auto repair knowledge then, was pretty fresh out of the service and working in MFG). That manual was gold. The look on his face when I finished that shit was glory to me. And it worked too?  I was kinda surprised myself. LOL

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 07:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dude, that's the best right there. The look when you impress your dad? Priceless! 

Damn you, just missing my dad right now. We had a few moments like that. Once changed the waterpump on a 78 Thunderbird as he sat in the lawn chair supervising (he had cancer and not a lot of energy to help). I had no clue WTF I was doing, but went to Autozone and bought a Haynes manual and went to work. He was impressed (I didn't have auto repair knowledge then, was pretty fresh out of the service and working in MFG). That manual was gold. The look on his face when I finished that shit was glory to me. And it worked too?  I was kinda surprised myself. LOL

Older cars were so easy to learn how to work on.  I had a '72 Dart with a 318, that also blew a water pump.  I was 17, the old man hated auto mechanics, and I was on my own.  After about an hour and a half, he begrudgingly came out to the garage, and was impressed that I was just putting things back together and got to see me elated when it started up and worked just fine.  (BTW, that water pump cost me about $30, back in 1986)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Older cars were so easy to learn how to work on.  I had a '72 Dart with a 318, that also blew a water pump.  I was 17, the old man hated auto mechanics, and I was on my own.  After about an hour and a half, he begrudgingly came out to the garage, and was impressed that I was just putting things back together and got to see me elated when it started up and worked just fine.  (BTW, that water pump cost me about $30, back in 1986)

LOL I feel like I need to post a disclaimer. I still don't know how to fix cars. Only those problems I've experienced in the past. I honestly don't even know how they work?  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 07:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL I feel like I need to post a disclaimer. I still don't know how to fix cars. Only those problems I've experienced in the past. I honestly don't even know how they work?  Hilarious

Yeah, I got fairly adept on working on '70s and 80's junkers, but new vehicles are sort of a mystery.  If we want to know about how a modern vehicle get's fixed, we likely should ask Wyche's Warrior..  LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Older cars were so easy to learn how to work on.  I had a '72 Dart with a 318, that also blew a water pump.  I was 17, the old man hated auto mechanics, and I was on my own.  After about an hour and a half, he begrudgingly came out to the garage, and was impressed that I was just putting things back together and got to see me elated when it started up and worked just fine.  (BTW, that water pump cost me about $30, back in 1986)

I had a 70 1/2 Camaro that I tore apart and put back together, several times, LOL. Can't do that anymore !

I just built my dad a wheel chair ramp in his garage. It was reengineered like 4 X LOL. I was totally unprepared and uninformed on what it would take. I had a little 2 hour job in mind. It took 2 days and 3 or 4 trips to Lowes. 

The drop from the floor level of the house to the garage level is 4 steps, it's like 3 feet or so. The first ramp I built was sorta like riding the beast at kings island haha.  Hilarious Compounding the problem is the furnace is right in the way. But after some busted knuckles, wasting two entire 29/32 sheets of plywood and like 30 2x4's later I finally got it.

I'll try and post some picks later.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 06:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll have to see, there have been tons of family pics taken out there.  I'm sure there has to be a couple that highlight the bar top in it's original state.  What I really wish, is that I had the presence of mind to shoot some video of the look on Dad's face, when those screws started turning out!  In my mind, that was priceless compared to any number of before and after pics.

There's gotta a pic of ol'Sunset passed out on top of the bar???? Hilarious
Reply/Quote
How this thread have zero pictures and still exist?
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 05:23 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: How this thread have zero pictures and still exist?

Because some guy forgot to take some pictures.  However, all is not lost, somewhere there are some "before" pictures, and I will take some "after" pictures, when I finish tiling the bar top.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'll give you the same advice I did Rueben about his outdoor area.

Brass pole and a smoke machine.
Reply/Quote
Now my question is when you gonna have the all you can drink (for free) Margaritas party for Bengal fans ? Outdoor bar warming party.
Reply/Quote
Ive got a set of those SpeedOut bits. Even when they work, its still a PITA. I do not envy you having to do it 90 times.
[Image: proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2...a3b09aaec9]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 01:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Now my question is when you gonna have the all you can drink (for free) Margaritas party for Bengal fans ? Outdoor bar warming party.

We'll text you a pass code, 4 hours before we get started..   Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Alright, just a quick update. I've been working out of town, in the field all week. The heat and humidity has been absolutely oppressive. Combined with our unusually wet Spring, the undergrowth, briars and vines are completely out of control, making for a tough week of surveying rugged terrain. WTS, I won't be going to Dad's to do the tile work until Sunday.

As promised, I will be taking pictures of the finished product. They likely won't make it on here til late Sunday, or even Monday evening. But, Dad's wish of unveiling the new bar top for the family Father's Day cookout will be a reality!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 02:33 PM)UKWhoDey Wrote: Ive got a set of those SpeedOut bits.  Even when they work, its still a PITA.  I do not envy you having to do it 90 times.

Yeah, those things work, but they take a lot more push than most folks would expect to give.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Alright, did the tile and trim work today.

Attached Files Image(s)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It was miserable hot and humid, as you can clearly see, your boy Sunset has completely drenched his shirt.

Attached Files Image(s)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
One last photo of a white guy melting..

Attached Files Image(s)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote