Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Glad We Won't Be Worrying About Dalton
Dalton is probably one of, if not, the absolute best values at the QB position.  He is signed through 2021.  This article details how a LOT of teams are going to be in cap prison in the upcoming years.

I will be very interested to see what the Pats try to do with Garappollo.  They can't very well invest $40 million in the QB position, can they?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/22/looking-at-the-coming-waves-of-quarterback-deals/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dalton is probably one of, if not, the absolute best values at the QB position.  He is signed through 2021.  This article details how a LOT of teams are going to be in cap prison in the upcoming years.

I will be very interested to see what the Pats try to do with Garappollo.  They can't very well invest $40 million in the QB position, can they?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/22/looking-at-the-coming-waves-of-quarterback-deals/
Funny everytime I hear the term value, I think of a store where you buy a tool for dirt cheap knowing you are only going to use it once and then get rid of it. Not the case with Andy!!!

Honestly, I think the Raiders will regret the huge payday they just gave Carr in a few years. For some reason I just don't see him being the next upper echelon QB. Not sure what his salary will be every year, but how do they pay their other good players, they will have to retain them?
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 11:41 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Funny everytime I hear the term value, I think of a store where you buy a tool for dirt cheap knowing you are only going to use it once and then get rid of it. Not the case with Andy!!!

Honestly, I think the Raiders will regret the huge payday they just gave Carr in a few years. For some reason I just don't see him being the next upper echelon QB. Not sure what his salary will be every year, but how do they pay their other good players, they will have to retain them?

Look at Carr's numbers his first 3 years and look at Dalton's. Then go look at the contracts each got after those performances and you will see perception is really what drove those deals. Carr may have had slightly better numbers last year the overall body of work suggests their next deals should have been similar, but one was league average at the time and one is setting the new QB market.
Reply/Quote
I'm worried about him...

Ced O is going to be his starting LT. Shocked
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dalton is probably one of, if not, the absolute best values at the QB position.  He is signed through 2021.  This article details how a LOT of teams are going to be in cap prison in the upcoming years.

if they do Brady will want a raise... that dude takes deal after deal for the team (to help the team)  they will probly be paying brady for 5 years after he retires.
Reply/Quote
If I am Andy I am punching my agent in the nuts right now. God what a terrible deal for him. Great for the team though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Dalton is severely underpaid now. Almost embarrassingly. He'll get another deal by 2019. Brown takes care of his QB's and it's almost insulting what Dalton is getting paid now compared to the rest of his peers.

Just wait til Stafford, Cousins etc. get their deal in the next year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It's cool, though. Derek Carr thought about leaving money for the rest of his team when he took his NFL-record $25m/yr.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 11:41 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Funny everytime I hear the term value, I think of a store where you buy a tool for dirt cheap knowing you are only going to use it once and then get rid of it. Not the case with Andy!!!

I think once ANY team pays that much for a QB (including the likes of Brady), it makes it very difficult for them to have a very competitive roster around them.  Carr seems like I really class guy, and that is where the QB dollars are headed.  However, to your point, it is a huge gamble.  

I think the Raiders probably did the best thing by locking him up or they would have a Kirk Cousins situation on their hands.  
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 12:20 PM)J24 Wrote: If I am Andy I am punching my agent in the nuts right now. God what a terrible deal for him. Great for the team though.

I think with his lifestyle and his likely longevity here, Dalton will be in an excellent financial position when his career is over.  And remember, they gave it to him when he hadn't quit won over this town.  Dalton also probably likes the idea of spending some of what is not on his contract on the rest of his team.  Dude is about winning.  I remember Kiper's comment when he was drafted "He is allergic to losing".
Reply/Quote
I can't see Andy poo-pooing to much about his pay, I could be wrong, we all like to get paid. I get the feeling he is pretty down to earth and will be more about winning and not about how many Bentleys he has in the garage.
Reply/Quote
These salaries are beyond absurd when you get right down to it. Well in excess of a million bucks a year to essentially work 16-20 days a year and only a few hours of those days. I absolutely fail to see how anyone getting paid over a million bucks a year for those kinds of working hours could possibly be considered underpaid. Sure, there's a lot of practice and so on, but teams don't pay millions every year just to practice. 
Take a guy who is a first round pick.  They get some huge paycheck just to sign their name on the dotted line and regardless of whether they actually play a game or not they should be set for life with that first paycheck. 
I don't know about the rest of you, but if someone handed me a million bucks just once I'd never worry about my finances again the rest of my life. 
It just seems so utterly absurd to think anyone is underpaid even making league minimum. What's league minimum for one full season? $450,000 ?
The rest of society, you know..mere mortals? $7.25 an hour for minimum wage and plenty of us make considerably less than that if working as contract labor or as a waiter/waitress and we're somehow supposed to believe that anyone playing professional sports could possibly be underpaid? 
Well I'm not buying it .Even if you're a bench warmer in the league you cannot possibly be under paid..
I hate to break the bad news, but $450,000 a year is pretty damn good money to do anything. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 02:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dalton is severely underpaid now. Almost embarrassingly. He'll get another deal by 2019. Brown takes care of his QB's and it's almost insulting what Dalton is getting paid now compared to the rest of his peers.

Just wait til Stafford, Cousins etc. get their deal in the next year.

He is 20th per year average salary, but 6th for a singular contract overall. 

I dont think he is underpaid at all to be honest, based on his playoff history that is. 

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2017, 01:38 PM)grampahol Wrote: These salaries are beyond absurd when you get right down to it. Well in excess of a million bucks a year to essentially work 16-20 days a year and only a few hours of those days. I absolutely fail to see how anyone getting paid over a million bucks a year for those kinds of working hours could possibly be considered underpaid. Sure, there's a lot of practice and so on, but teams don't pay millions every year just to practice. 
Take a guy who is a first round pick.  They get some huge paycheck just to sign their name on the dotted line and regardless of whether they actually play a game or not they should be set for life with that first paycheck. 
I don't know about the rest of you, but if someone handed me a million bucks just once I'd never worry about my finances again the rest of my life. 
It just seems so utterly absurd to think anyone is underpaid even making league minimum. What's league minimum for one full season? $450,000 ?
The rest of society, you know..mere mortals? $7.25 an hour for minimum wage and plenty of us make considerably less than that if working as contract labor or as a waiter/waitress and we're somehow supposed to believe that anyone playing professional sports could possibly be underpaid? 
Well I'm not buying it .Even if you're a bench warmer in the league you cannot possibly be under paid..
I hate to break the bad news, but $450,000 a year is pretty damn good money to do anything. 

Simple economics, my good man.  The NFL is a business worth billions and roughly 10 people on earth are able to do its most important job (play QB) well during any given year.  If you can do something only 10 people on earth can do you are more valuable than someone who does a job a billion people could do.

What is so hard to grasp about this?  It's just supply and demand. It's not about fairness, it's about having a skill set that is highly valued and next to no one on earth can duplicate.

And yes, $450k  sure seems like an excessive amount of money to us working stiffs, but the $35k we bring home each year sure seems excessive to starving Ethiopians.  It's all relative.

(06-28-2017, 02:02 PM)Millhouse Wrote: He is 20th per year average salary, but 6th for a singular contract overall. 

I dont think he is underpaid at all to be honest, based on his playoff history that is. 

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Yep ,this is sort of the unpleasant truth of the matter.  Dalton is a great value, but I have a hard time being so smug about that when we are comparing him to "overpaid" QBs who have made it closer to the SB than we have in nearly 30 years.  I really think some people around here have the idea that Dalton would take super team-friendly deal even if he pulled a Flacco in a contract year and was the SB MVP.

The short of it is that I HOPE we eventually have to worry about how much money Dalton is going to command because, you know, he won it all or something.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 05:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Simple economics, my good man.  The NFL is a business worth billions and roughly 10 people on earth are able to do its most important job (play QB) well during any given year.  If you can do something only 10 people on earth can do you are more valuable than someone who does a job a billion people could do.

What is so hard to grasp about this?  It's just supply and demand. It's not about fairness, it's about having a skill set that is highly valued and next to no one on earth can duplicate.

And yes, $450k  sure seems like an excessive amount of money to us working stiffs, but the $35k we bring home each year sure seems excessive to starving Ethiopians.  It's all relative.

Yep ,this is sort of the unpleasant truth of the matter.  Dalton is a great value, but I have a hard time being so smug about that when we are comparing him to "overpaid" QBs who have made it closer to the SB than we have in nearly 30 years.  I really think some people around here have the idea that Dalton would take super team-friendly deal even if he pulled a Flacco in a contract year and was the SB MVP.

The short of it is that I HOPE we eventually have to worry about how much money Dalton is going to command because, you know, he won it all or something.

Well you do understand that Derek Carr has not won a playoff game and just broke the bank....
Reply/Quote