Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I just got a neighbors mail
Just ladies fashion magazines.. If you've ever looked through one have you ever seen such a grumpy looking bunch of broads in your life? I leafed through..I dunno..100 pages and don't think there's a single smiling face in the whole magazine..
So what's up with that? Are women really attracted to other women's mean looks or something?  

Oh..Sold my truck for more than it's worth today so I'm smiling.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Here is a creepy story about getting neighbors mail.

One time when I was living in an apartment I had a crush on my neighbor. I would say "Hi" in passing, but I could never think of a good way to start a conversation with her. Then one morning I checked my mail and saw that a piece of her mail was slipping through a crack between her box and mine. So I pulled it out through my mailbox. It was just a advertisement. Nothing personal. So my plan was to go to her door that evening and tell her that the piece of mail had been left in my box by mistake.

But then I remembered that I would sometimes check my mail in the morning on the way out and if there was nothing but junk mail like this I would just stick it back in the box and get it later when I came back home. I realized that it was possible that she had opened her mailbox that morning and already seen that piece of mail. So if she found out I had it she would freak out.

So I just threw it away.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 04:36 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just ladies fashion magazines.. If you've ever looked through one have you ever seen such a grumpy looking bunch of broads in your life? I leafed through..I dunno..100 pages and don't think there's a single smiling face in the whole magazine..
So what's up with that? Are women really attracted to other women's mean looks or something?  

Oh..Sold my truck for more than it's worth today so I'm smiling.. ThumbsUp

2 things:

Don't read the neighbor's mail

If the truck had a full tank of gas when you sold it, you probably lost 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a creepy story about getting neighbors mail.

One time when I was living in an apartment I had a crush on my neighbor. I would say "Hi" in passing, but I could never think of a good way to start a conversation with her. Then one morning I checked my mail and saw that a piece of her mail was slipping through a crack between her box and mine. So I pulled it out through my mailbox. It was just a advertisement. Nothing personal. So my plan was to go to her door that evening and tell her that the piece of mail had been left in my box by mistake.

But then I remembered that I would sometimes check my mail in the morning on the way out and if there was nothing but junk mail like this I would just stick it back in the box and get it later when I came back home. I realized that it was possible that she had opened her mailbox that morning and already seen that piece of mail. So if she found out I had it she would freak out.

So I just threw it away.

Wimp! Haha. What could have been….
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a creepy story about getting neighbors mail.

One time when I was living in an apartment I had a crush on my neighbor.  I would say "Hi" in passing, but I could never think of a good way to start a conversation with her.  Then one morning I checked my mail and saw that a piece of her mail was slipping through a crack between her box and mine.  So I pulled it out through my mailbox.  It was just a advertisement.  Nothing personal.  So my plan was to go to her door that evening and tell her that the piece of mail had been left in my box by mistake.

But then I remembered that I would sometimes check my mail in the morning on the way out and if there was nothing but junk mail like this I would just stick it back in the box and get it later when I came back home.  I realized that it was possible that she had opened her mailbox that morning and already seen that piece of mail.  So if she found out I had it she would freak out.

So I just threw it away.

Cowardice is no way to impress the potential love of your life Fred.. lol

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 05:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 2 things:

Don't read the neighbor's mail

If the truck had a full tank of gas when you sold it, you probably lost 

First it was just a magazine. I kind of doubt the publisher included deep down secrets the recipient should freak out about. Also it wasn't sealed, just a magazine..
The truck was almost empty. I did put 5 bucks worth of gas in it the day before though.. That truck paid for itself many times over so even had I filled the tank 10 times I still wouldn't have lost anything..LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 12:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: First it was just a magazine. I kind of doubt the publisher included deep down secrets the recipient should freak out about. Also it wasn't sealed, just a magazine..

Doesn't matter.  It was not your mail or your property and you had no business "leafing" through 100 or so pages or any pages of your neighbor's magazine.  I just hope you didn't take it to the bathroom.   Ninja

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 12:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: First it was just a magazine. I kind of doubt the publisher included deep down secrets the recipient should freak out about. Also it wasn't sealed, just a magazine..
The truck was almost empty. I did put 5 bucks worth of gas in it the day before though.. That truck paid for itself many times over so even had I filled the tank 10 times I still wouldn't have lost anything..LOL

Oh the outrage!  You did something everyone does.  

companies send magazines/catalogs out unsolicited all the time.  They want you to look through the damn thing if it accidentally ends up in your mailbox because that means they reached a new set of eyes.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
A couple of days ago I got mail for the people who lived in my house before me.

Which was 15 years ago. LOL
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 11:40 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Doesn't matter.  It was not your mail or your property and you had no business "leafing" through 100 or so pages or any pages of your neighbor's magazine.  I just hope you didn't take it to the bathroom.   Ninja

I WISH my neighbors would take the catalogs and junk mail out of my box
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 02:40 PM)basballguy Wrote: Oh the outrage!  You did something everyone does.  

companies send magazines/catalogs out unsolicited all the time.  They want you to look through the damn thing if it accidentally ends up in your mailbox because that means they reached a new set of eyes.  

Again I'm of the opinion you don't go through other peoples stuff even if it is just a magazine or whatever.   If it isn't addressed to you then it doesn't belong to you.  So either take it to the neighbor it was intended for or I believe the USPS guideline for misdelivered mail is to put it back in the mailbox with the flag up for the postal worker to collect or give it to a postal worker.   I know something like going through a neighbor's magazine might seem trivial to some but as stated I feel that you just shouldn't mess with things that are not yours. 

Also companies that send out targeted publications like magazines and catalogs, which cost a fair amount of money to print and send, don't hope it ends up in the wrong mailbox.  If they wanted a neighbor to receive such things they have all those addresses already and would send that person the publication directly.  Customer acquisition and retention is expensive and usually targeted toward the person most likely to respond based market research and customer data as opposed to hoping it ends up in the hands of some random neighbor or person that may have no interest in the misdeliverd mail.

(04-20-2022, 11:09 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I WISH my neighbors would take the catalogs and junk mail out of my box

As for reducing junk mail there are options that can decrease junk mail significantly.  Here is an article from the FTC on steps you can take.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-stop-junk-mail

I've done what was suggested in the article and my junk mail has decreased significantly.   I can't recall the last time I received a catalog.  I also found opting out of prescreened credit card and insurance offers as mentioned in the article made a big difference as well.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 02:06 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Again I'm of the opinion you don't go through other peoples stuff even if it is just a magazine or whatever.   If it isn't addressed to you then it doesn't belong to you.  So either take it to the neighbor it was intended for or I believe the USPS guideline for misdelivered mail is to put it back in the mailbox with the flag up for the postal worker to collect or give it to a postal worker.   I know something like going through a neighbor's magazine might seem trivial to some but as stated I feel that you just shouldn't mess with things that are not yours. 

Also companies that send out targeted publications like magazines and catalogs, which cost a fair amount of money to print and send, don't hope it ends up in the wrong mailbox.  If they wanted a neighbor to receive such things they have all those addresses already and would send that person the publication directly.  Customer acquisition and retention is expensive and usually targeted toward the person most likely to respond based market research and customer data as opposed to hoping it ends up in the hands of some random neighbor or person that may have no interest in the misdeliverd mail.

As for reducing junk mail there are options that can decrease junk mail significantly.  Here is an article from the FTC on steps you can take.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-stop-junk-mail

I've done what was suggested in the article and my junk mail has decreased significantly.   I can't recall the last time I received a catalog.  I also found opting out of prescreened credit card and insurance offers as mentioned in the article made a big difference as well.

Yes, there are ways to reduce junk mail.  The pre-screened offers for credit cards, refinances, etc are the most effective in my experience.  The rest of the targeted mail is a lot harder to get rid of.  

I'm not encouraging anyone from taking someone else's mail, but I also just don't think it's a big deal if their catalog ended up in your box and you threw it away or looked through it.  A lot of those are even addressed to person "or current resident" because the sender doesn't even care where it goes as long as someone gives it a look and thought.  Unless maybe it's their Victoria's Secret catalog, taking that from your neighbor is cruel. 
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 05:09 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'm not encouraging anyone from taking someone else's mail, but I also just don't think it's a big deal if their catalog ended up in your box and you threw it away or looked through it.  A lot of those are even addressed to person "or current resident" because the sender doesn't even care where it goes as long as someone gives it a look and thought.  Unless maybe it's their Victoria's Secret catalog, taking that from your neighbor is cruel. 

It's actually illegal to throw away mail that isn't addressed to you. Yeah I know, nothing would probably ever come from doing such.   But again my point is you don't mess with something that does not belong to you.  I'm just not a fan of going through or "leafing" through other people's stuff.  For example the magazines the OP mentioned may very well have been subscriptions the other person paid for.  So the OP had no business messing with them IMO.

There is also a difference between getting mail addressed to "current resident" going to your mailing address and mail directed to a different mailing address that accidentally ends up in your mailbox.

Anyway, I've said what I feel on the topic. I just grew up believing if it isn't yours then don't stick your nose in it. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 11:40 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Doesn't matter.  It was not your mail or your property and you had no business "leafing" through 100 or so pages or any pages of your neighbor's magazine.  I just hope you didn't take it to the bathroom.   Ninja

I always thought if something was in your mailbox it was yours.  But I may have learned that in 6th grade.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 05:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I always thought if something was in your mailbox it was yours.  But I may have learned that in 6th grade.

If it isn't addressed to you then it isn't yours. 

https://www.moving.com/tips/what-to-do-with-mail-that-isnt-yours/

Quote:As it turns out, opening or throwing out mail that isn’t yours is illegal, and can be punishable by a misdemeanor or felony charge. To understand why, you have to look at U.S. Code § 1708, a longstanding law that tacks on the possibility of a fine or imprisonment for tampering with mail that belongs to someone else.

Are the police going to show up at your door because you tossed out a letter addressed to a neighbor or a previous tenant or homeowner? Probably not. But seeing that a letter is addressed to someone else and then tossing it—or worse, opening it—shows intent to tamper, and that’s a risk that’s not worth taking, especially when it’s easy enough to solve the problem in other ways.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Oh jeeeez.. Are you all suddenly sworn deputies of the postmaster general?  I feel like the feds ought to be breaking down my door any minute because i peeked at someones crappy magazine that got delivered to my place by accident..  
That's right folks! I'm on a crime spree and you can't stop me! Watch your pillows..I might rip off a tag next!  Cool
Even if the feds bust down my door I'm gonna deny everything.. It was just a fictional account..a mere fantasy of looking at grumpy, skinny broads that I don't find particularly attractive anyway!!  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 07:25 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: A couple of days ago I got mail for the people who lived in my house before me.

Which was 15 years ago.  LOL

We get something almost daily from the previous residence, its been a decade now.  Sad part is the lady died in 2019 so now I have no where to send it too. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 02:12 PM)plantmanky Wrote: We get something almost daily from the previous residence, its been a decade now.  Sad part is the lady died in 2019 so now I have no where to send it too. 

Just you wait and see once the post master deputies around here get wind of your evil deeds.. You'll be accused of killing the old dame just so you can get her old mail..  Shocked

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 02:12 PM)plantmanky Wrote: We get something almost daily from the previous residence, its been a decade now.  Sad part is the lady died in 2019 so now I have no where to send it too. 

If you are getting mail from a person who has been dead for years I highly recommend you open it.  The message might be important.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 05:43 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote:

Anyway, I've said what I feel on the topic. I just grew up believing if it isn't yours then don't stick your nose in it. :)

If i could reach, i would stick my nose in it, and as the comedian noted, never leave the house again. But I can’t, thus I stick my nose in my wife’s stuff.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote