Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So RT(Darnell Wright) is off the board?
Many are projecting Darnell Wright being off the board by the time that Cincinnati picks at #28. That is a real possibility, he could be there if the card fall right but if he is off the board the Bengals should be prepared to change gears in this draft and it is a great draft to do it. People are caught up on having a first round selection. So what is the problem, other than 5th year option, of making a selection in the first round or getting a first round talent in the 2nd?

In this Mock Draft Database Simulation I rolled with Wright being off the board and how the Bengals could parlay their first round selection into acquiring early to mid round selections that set this team up really well for '23 and the future. So here it is!

*Make sure to read finished summary so that all makes sense!

1-28th Overall

I proposed a trade with KC to move down giving them selection 1-28 and receiving selections 1-31 and 3-95. KC accepted this trade.

1-31st Overall

Houston obviously were targeting a much wanted player and offered the Bengals selections 2-33, 3-65, 5-161, 6-188, and 7-230 for the 31st overall selection. The Bengals gladly accepted this offer from Houston (In most years a trade such as this may not take place but Houston owns 11 selections in the '23 draft so hold a great amount of draft capital).

2-33rd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXTWf-nYrK6viDbagZxKA...A&usqp=CAU]

Darnell Washington - TE - Georgia - 6'7" 264

Cincinnati tight ends must be able to do one thing really well and that is blocking. Washington brings the blocking ability of a 6th lineman while bringing to the field freakish athleticism. When Washington is blocking his assignment is neutralized and when he is receiving he offers a serious mismatch in coverage due to his 4.6 speed and crazy catch radius. Will Washington need to work on some route running nuances? Sure he will but so will most every other college prospect when transitioning to the NFL. It could be argued that with what he has displayed that his ceiling is extremely high going forward. TE1 solved!

2-60th Overall

To be successful here Cincinnati must be surgical in positioning themselves the best they can for targeted prospects. Cincinnati proposes a trade with Vegas sending them the 60th overall selection for selections 3-70 and 4-109 which Vegas accepts.

3-65th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPc7GMxuEqqT59Hx5GJL7...Q&usqp=CAU]

Joe Tippman - C - Wisconsin - 6'6" 313

When you size up Tippmann and look at what is stated about him by evaluators and coaching staffs it is eerily similar to Creed Humphrey. If Tippmann can get even close to the performance of Humphrey, which is absolutely possible, then Cincinnati has a draft steal. Tippmann has been referred to as the most versatile lineman in the draft and his football IQ is elite. He is a naturally powerful blocker that works with great power and displays a really nasty demeanor when engaging with the defense. Backup for Karras or way to move Karras to LG?

3-70th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqEY7-gpipsqu_0JuMkex...A&usqp=CAU]

Karl Brooks - DT - Bowling Green - 6'3" 303

To high for this selection? Time will tell won't it? Brooks has been moving up many draft boards and if he had played in a bigger conference than the MAC then there is a good chance he would have already been far higher on boards. I was shocked to see him be snubbed by the combine especially after standing out at the Senior Bowl when working beside players such as Keion White and Jalen Carter. Explosive off the snap and a force that disrupts offensive backfields. Brooks could be the inside pass rush Cincinnati has missed since Geno. Brooks is so quick and explosive off the ball that Bowling Green even stood him up on the edge at times.

3-92nd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdG3sug707VeWnCiPY9M-...A&usqp=CAU]

Tyjae Spears - RB - Tulane - 5'10" 201

This guy is like a video game cheat code! If you don't like Spears then you have not watched Spears and if you have not seen Spears then I suggest you watch Spears. He routinely runs through arm tackles, runs strong between the tackles, and has the speed and elusiveness to beat the defense to the edge. When he gets in open field he has another gear. Many are concerned about pass blocking by backs of his stature but the Senior Bowl coaching staff thought he stood out in this aspect of his game. This sort of playmaking ability takes this offense to the next level!

3-95th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2BkJ7Dgi5aw2bQBPuvne...A&usqp=CAU]

D.J. Turner II - CB - Michigan - 5'11" 178

Turner may not bring elite size and length to the position but what he does bring is elite speed, elite football IQ, and elite technique. Turner has been a complete technician for TTUN and seems to always keep himself in position to make a play. Silky smooth in transition and coverage and will have no problem staying with speed in deep routes. Turner will be ready to contribute on day 1 and will ease the pain should Awuzie not be completely ready to go at the start of the season.

4-109th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREUQjgXJ3A4lQwdawoUBw...A&usqp=CAU]

Mike Morris - DE - Michigan - 6'5" 275

There were some that suggested his stock may be down after the combine but I will put my stock in what he put on tape rather than his performance in shorts without pads. Morris is a bull of a wrecking ball off of the edge. At the NFL level Morris will need to add to his pass rushing repertoire but his power should translate as well as his ability to set the edge and stop the run. Should be ready to fit in the rotation on day 1 to relieve Hendrickson and Hubbard. He will have a great group to help mentor him that is for sure. I see a lot of Hubbard with even more power in Morris.

4-131st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQB_R4g9PsUCUwqlqldfKE...w&usqp=CAU]

Andrew Vorhees - G - USC - 6'6" 310

This was a difficult to selection to make but an even more difficult selection to pass on. Vorhees will get a medical redshirt year after the ACL injury during the combine. However, watching his dedication to the combine in putting up 38 reps with a torn ACL while others just sat out drills because they were afraid they may hurt their stock tells me all about Vorhees I needed to know. Couple that with what he has put on tape and this will be a steal and just like an extra selection for '24. Vorhees is a big powerful guard that as you watch tape on him you quickly see he just does not get moved backward. Vorhees is just an extremely solid selection that will push to start in '24.

5-157th Overall

Using the capital that they have acquired in the draft the Bengals package picks to move up for a targeted selection. The Bengals offer Baltimore 5-163 and 7-230 to move up to 5-157 which Baltimore accepts.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrbq615OU-T8U-kFC7c8-...A&usqp=CAU]

Carter Warren - OT - Pittsburgh - 6'5.5" 311

Warren may well still be available at this point in the draft due to the meniscus tear he suffered in October '22. However, according to reports he is 100% and ready to go. There are somethings that Warren needs to clean up but there is much to like about him and he brings elite size and length to the position. Best case scenario is that Warren challenges for the day 1 starting RT job and worst case is you end up with a good swing tackle coming off the bench on either side. Warren has put some good film together and he was a captain at Pitt.

5-161st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_tGJ8u6HlDOSGeQ-FR6B...w&usqp=CAU]

Luke Schoonmaker - TE - Michigan - 6'5" 251

For the third time the Bengals look to TTUN to help build their core. Never would I have thought that the Bengals would have the chance to add a TE the caliber of Luke at this point in the draft but what a steal this is. After adding TE1 in Washington the Bengals add TE2 with Schoonmaker. Luke is a versatile and solid prospect that has been compared to Dalton Knox. As with most college prospects Luke will need to add strength to compete consistently at the NFL level but there is nothing to suggest that this would be an issue for this young man. While he may not be elite in any one area he is really solid across the board.

5-169th Overall

Again the Bengals use the capital they acquired in this draft to move up for a selected target prospect. At this point the Bengals offer selections 6-188 and 6-206 to Dallas to move up to 5-169. Dallas accepts this trade bid.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqkwK_Y0jUlHeErv4CQDV...w&usqp=CAU]

Jakorian Bennett - CB - Maryland - 5'11" 188

Bennett offers is a good depth piece that brings elite speed and good size and length to the position. There are inconsistencies with the technique of Bennett but these are issues that should be correctable with NFL coaching. Defenses many passes but low interception totals so he has room to improve his hands while working on not using his hands in coverage. A work in progress but there is much to like about this young man.

7-246th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXUwo1BMRYo28tsK2B535...Q&usqp=CAU]

Tre Tucker - WR - 5'9" 182

Tucker has the ability to separate and the speed to challenge all depths of the defense but even more than a dynamic receiver when the ball in his hands is the experience he has as a returner. It has been a long time since Cincinnati has had a returner that has a legit chance to go the distance once the ball is in his hands. The strength in Turners game is his abilities once he has the ball and his explosiveness. He is truly a player that will be able to challenge Taylor for return duties.

So overall Cincinnati was able to add 4 highly targeted players by using their 1st round selection to add capital and still getting a 1st round talent player.  So then the question is how else does this immediately benefit the Bengals?

Consider...A player the caliber of Tippmann, like Humphrey, gives the benefits the confidence to start him at center. This enables the Bengals to move Ted Karras out to left guard where he is experienced and is capable of playing at a high level. This would solidify all spots other than RT which would allow...

Jackson Carman
Cordell Volson
Carter Warren
Jonah Williams (unless traded) 

to compete for the job while cutting La'el Collins with an injury settlement making cap space for needed extensions for Burrow and Higgins.
Reply/Quote
Well done, that would be interesting to see the Bengals make two trades down like that. If the actual draft turns out anything like that, I'd be a happy fan.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My favorite Mock so far with Wright off the board, that IS likely. Love the first trade and find it likely with Houston having
so many picks. Darnell Washington might be my favorite pick now after Wright so to add a pick and him is ideal. Tippmann
would give us a ton of depth all across the OL, great pick. I doubt we trade back twice but hey, that is what these are for.

Brooks has that quickness and explosiveness we need at 3-tech love it. Spears is becoming my fave RB in this draft after
the Senior Bowl knowledge of him looking good in pass protection, love it. DJ Turner could fall because of his size, kind of
doubt he falls this far, we will see.

Morris could fall because of the poor combine, Vorhees because of the ACL tear, same as Warren. Great Mock OSUfan. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 04:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My favorite Mock so far with Wright off the board, that IS likely. Love the first trade and find it likely with Houston having
so many picks. Darnell Washington might be my favorite pick now after Wright so to add a pick and him is ideal. Tippmann
would give us a ton of depth all across the OL, great pick. I doubt we trade back twice but hey, that is what these are for.

Brooks has that quickness and explosiveness we need at 3-tech love it. Spears is becoming my fave RB in this draft after
the Senior Bowl knowledge of him looking good in pass protection, love it. DJ Turner could fall because of his size, kind of
doubt he falls this far, we will see.

Morris could fall because of the poor combine, Vorhees because of the ACL tear, same as Warren. Great Mock OSUfan. Rock On

Thanks Nate. Yes while this is all hypothetical I like to try to keep my mind open to different strategies. Just like the notion many have that you are toast without a first round selection and I just cannot get behind that. There are usually 32 actual first round selections made each year but that does not mean that the draft only had 32 players that were worthy of a first round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:19 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Thanks Nate. Yes while this is all hypothetical I like to try to keep my mind open to different strategies. Just like the notion many have that you are toast without a first round selection and I just cannot get behind that. There are usually 32 actual first round selections made each year but that does not mean that the draft only had 32 players that were worthy of a first round pick.

You are welcome. For sure, what is nice about this Mock is you are also drafting for the future with Vorhees and Warren.

These 2 guys could be really good and if not for the injuries wouldn't fall this far.
Reply/Quote
In theory, I Like it a lot. However I just have an issue with a couple things when we are so close to a Super Bowl.

1. Starting a rookie at C and moving Karras. It could work, but we seem to finally have some continuity on the line and it payed off big at the middle to end of the year.

2. The RT situation. None of those guys are NFL caliber starters and some haven't played RT at all or in years.

Overall, I love the players. It's a major haul.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 07:46 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: In theory, I Like it a lot.  However I just have an issue with a couple things when we are so close to a Super Bowl.

1.  Starting a rookie at C and moving Karras.  It could work, but we seem to finally have some continuity on the line and it payed off big at the middle to end of the year.

2.  The RT situation.  None of those guys are NFL caliber starters and some haven't played RT at all or in years.

Overall, I love the players.  It's a major haul.

The Chiefs had zero issues with playing Creed Humphrey as a rookie and with good reason. Tippmann is in that same class as Humphrey and Karras is experienced in the NFL as a LG.

There are obviously some things to work on when transitioning from LT to RT but it is not something that I believe is all that odd. I believe Carman can make this switch and he showed down the stretch that he can play OT at the NFL level. Volson has played RT and I believe Warren as well is a guy capable of making that switch. Obviously, if Williams is still with the Bengals then he is probably option 1.
Reply/Quote
Does Daneil Jerimiah not know anything?
He keeps mocking Tippman to the Giants at 25 in the 1st round.

You think he falls to the 3rd round?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 12:31 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Does Daneil Jerimiah not know anything?
He keeps mocking Tippman to the Giants at 25 in the 1st round.

You think he falls to the 3rd round?

[attachment=2052]
[attachment=2053]

When you consider how favorably he compares to Creed Humphrey, who has quickly become on of the top centers in the league, then it is plausible for a team to take a shot at him in the first round but I would find the second round more probably.
Reply/Quote
We'd be insanely lucky to have a draft this good. There are a lot of moving parts, but there would also be a huge influx of immediate starting-caliber players and depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 09:42 AM)OSUfan Wrote: When you consider how favorably he compares to Creed Humphrey, who has quickly become on of the top centers in the league, then it is plausible for a team to take a shot at him in the first round but I would find the second round more probably.

Billy Price graded out higher than either of them, so it's an absolute roll of the dice.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/billy-price/32005052-4905-4404-45e3-d74a9d20fb7b

I just don't want to go into the season with no good option at RT.  We could easily solve that by signing a vet, but right now there's nobody on our roster that I think is a slam dunk to perform at a decent level.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 06:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Billy Price graded out higher than either of them, so it's an absolute roll of the dice.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/billy-price/32005052-4905-4404-45e3-d74a9d20fb7b

I just don't want to go into the season with no good option at RT.  We could easily solve that by signing a vet, but right now there's nobody on our roster that I think is a slam dunk to perform at a decent level.

I was not referring to grade I was referring to their size and measurables and Billy Price was nowhere close to these guys. Billy was a strong kid but it just did not seem to translate to the NFL game. Both of these guys seem to play with functional power and not just bench press power.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 08:09 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I was not referring to grade I was referring to their size and measurables and Billy Price was nowhere close to these guys. Billy was a strong kid but it just did not seem to translate to the NFL game. Both of these guys seem to play with functional power and not just bench press power.

Plus both have more length than Billy. He was a bit of a T-Rex and it hurt him here for damn sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 10:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus both have more length than Billy. He was a bit of a T-Rex and it hurt him here for damn sure.

I ran a simulation under the same criteria of Wright being off the board with no trades and I think it came out really great for the Bengals. Check it out if you get a chance.
Reply/Quote