Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Reds Trade, Not Add a Starting Pitcher
Reds were saying adding a veteran starter, adding a veteran starter, adding a veteran starter......Instead they trade a Reds starter with 14 wins last season for more minor league players....and now Reds.com takes off the Reds looking for veteran pitcher and hypes the trade of a veteran pitcher....and you put it all together and it is more hopelessness for the 2017 Reds season. ...Oh Boy, The Pete Rose Statue Ceremony....GO INDIANS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Cry How can a team rebuild when they keep tradin away starting players for hopeful wanna bes?
Reply/Quote
Has the season started yet? Is the roster finished? And was there even a tiny chance he'd win 14 again?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 05:10 PM)junglefever67 Wrote: Cry How can a team rebuild when they keep tradin away starting players for hopeful wanna bes?

Ask the Cleveland Browns.... LMAO
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dan Strailey wasn't taking us to the playoffs this year. He was a journeyman with a fluke year and the Reds sold high.

You can't complain about that. Even if he has a good season this year as well. We got great value.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 11:48 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Dan Strailey wasn't taking us to the playoffs this year. He was a journeyman with a fluke year and the Reds sold high.

You can't complain about that. Even if he has a good season this year as well. We got great value.
Instead of getting a veteran starting pitcher, we just traded one.  Spring Training soon upon us. Nope, Reds are NOT bringing in veteran starters as they claimed. Their sites are set further down the road than 2017.  They will be content in last place again as they stock up in the minors. Now the trick is these players in the minors getting to the majors and then in the majors becoming solid veterans which is many years away.  I would say the Reds are looking at 2020 or later, unless they keep trading those coming up for more minor league players, and then they are looking at never.

The Reds did say they were bringing in a veteran starter, and instead they traded one. I see that as bad news for 2017. I consider somebody winning 14 games for the last place 2016 Reds equal to somebody winning 20 games for a good team with hitting and a bullpen.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 08:43 AM)kevin Wrote: Instead of getting a veteran starting pitcher, we just traded one.  Spring Training soon upon us. Nope, Reds are NOT bringing in veteran starters as they claimed. Their sites are set further down the road than 2017.  They will be content in last place again as they stock up in the minors. Now the trick is these players in the minors getting to the majors and then in the majors becoming solid veterans which is many years away.  I would say the Reds are looking at  2020 or later, unless they keep trading those coming up for more minor league players, and then they are looking at never.

Of course their sights are set further down the road than 2017. Nobody expects them to compete this year. It would be a nice surprise, but it won't be a problem if they don't.

They have one of the best farm systems in the Majors this year, with at least 3 young pitchers set to permanently join the club this year, and perhaps 4 to 5. Then they also have young talent in Herrera, Peraza, Winker, Senzel and a few other position players that look to reach the majors this year or next year, each of whom project to be an impact bat.

You don't need to be a "veteran" in order to be good. You can go very far with a group of 2nd and 3rd year players, especially if the management and leadership is good. 

I don't think you can say that they won't compete until 2020, especially considering how many premium prospects we have on the precipice of joining the major league club. It's going to be an exciting year watching these young players develop and we'll know more about when we will compete at the end of the year.

If all you want to do is watch a winner, go become a fan of the Red Sox or the Cubs. We are deep in a rebuild and this is one of the few trades in which we got great value, unlike the Aroldis Chapman trade where we essentially gave away the league's best reliever for a hand full of poppy seeds.
Reply/Quote
Straily was no Cy Young that much is certain and as far as veteran pitching..
News flash..it's a young man's game just like football. 
They have quite a few arms in the pipeline so I'm not worried about veterans. 
One player I'm interested in seeing play (or read about being I live in SC) is Gabriel Guerrero and another I'm somewhat interested in is Sebastian Elizalde, both OF .
Guerroro is said to have a cannon of an arm and can hit for power. The downside perhaps, perhaps not is he's definitely a free swinger and will tend to chase some terrible pitches, but that's perhaps  correctable with the right coaching.  So far I haven't been impressed with Scott Schebler although he did come on strong towards the end of the season. If Guerroro can nail down the RF spot we might end up with a pretty good outfield.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 12:56 AM)grampahol Wrote: Straily was no Cy Young that much is certain and as far as veteran pitching..
News flash..it's a young man's game just like football. 
They have quite a few arms in the pipeline so I'm not worried about veterans. 
One player I'm interested in seeing play (or read about being I live in SC) is Gabriel Guerrero and another I'm somewhat interested in is Sebastian Elizalde, both OF .
Guerroro is said to have a cannon of an arm and can hit for power. The downside perhaps, perhaps not is he's definitely a free swinger and will tend to chase some terrible pitches, but that's perhaps  correctable with the right coaching.  So far I haven't been impressed with Scott Schebler although he did come on strong towards the end of the season. If Guerroro can nail down the RF spot we might end up with a pretty good outfield.
I like Schebler.  He figured things out in Louisville and raked for over over two months down there at a torrid pace.  He took time to adjust to the majors, but eventually looked like he belonged.  He'll get his chance this year and I hope he runs with it.
Reply/Quote
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/together-again-reds-reportedly-considering-bronson-arroyo-return/5WBMMzjHwtQdAQKaSY9VTN/

Looks like they are trying to bring Arroyo back.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 10:55 AM)samhain Wrote: I like Schebler.  He figured things out in Louisville and raked for over over two months down there at a torrid pace.  He took time to adjust to the majors, but eventually looked like he belonged.  He'll get his chance this year and I hope he runs with it.

Well, it's not as if I've never been wrong about anything. Schebler may very well turn out to be a great right fielder and if he is then so much the better .
I remember as a kid thinking Ken Griffey Sr would be a great player and several people much older than myself at the time told me he would never amount to anything.  I was right for once, but then I also thought Bobby Tolan would be our center fielder for a long long time.. Oh well.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What did we get from the Mets for Bruce? Rumor has it the Mets [may] want to trade him?
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2017, 07:12 PM)junglefever67 Wrote: What did we get from the Mets for Bruce? Rumor has it the Mets [may] want to trade him?

Dilson Herrera and Max Wotell. Right now Herrera is considered the 2nd base heir once Brandon leaves. They want to give him the full time gig and trade Brandon, but he keeps blocking trades.

I am worried though because I don't think Herrera was ever considered a top 100 prospect in the minors and we were unable to see him at all last year after acquiring him because of injuries. I hope the team's confidence in him is warranted.
Reply/Quote
the reds won't be good for a very long time. backed themselves into a corner with votto and phillips. look forward to the same thing we see with the bengals, lots of losing, possibly a little bit of hope, and then letdown as usual. bengals and reds have one thing in common, losing franchises on the regular. our fans put up with it so it works as intended.
Reply/Quote