Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So What's New, Jungle Noise?
I haven't been on here all that much. I contribute that to equal parts lack of time, and general apathy regarding all things Bengals.

I don't have nearly the amount of free time I used to (I used to do the bulk of my posting while working a mind numbing, boring desk job) and with what little time I do have I seem to spend less of it in keeping up with all things sports.

You can chalk that up to any number of things, and apathy is definitely one. Not as so much to say that I don't care at all about the team, it's that I just don't care enough to argue about them anymore. That's not much more for me to say regarding my opinions on how they do things. The arguments and stances don't change all that much. I mean, at some point after going in countless circles you have to stop, right? Do I really need to debate the validity of our free agency approach for the 283rd time, and do I really need to do it with a person that I've disagreed with 85 times before? You can also chalk it up to me gaining a tad of perspective, aging, etc.

I spend more time on a guitar forum these days. And I kinda realized something, I'm just a much nice person on those boards than these. I caught myself a few times thinking about that just posting over there. Ex: "Great thread, thanks for sharing!!!" And thinking that it quite differed than my mindset on here. But I think that's probably just because 1.) I respect a guitar historian more than I do Fred Toast and 2.) A Fender strat is a thing to celebrate, while Marvin Lewis is a giggling puppet. Ninja

Season is coming up, I need to get my game face on. I still strongly dislike Marvin, and am as equally frustrated by Mike Brown's stubbornness, and I can't just let that stand can? No, sir. While now, in the middle of nothingness in the NFL, I'm going to try and be less cynical, and less argumentative, I can't promise that I don't make a few dozen "Let's go/Giggle" jokes come the season.

Oh and one other thing, that truck with the Mike Brown Still Stinks and Trump 2016 sticker Mike mentioned yesterday, that was me. (It wasn't.) Let's make this team great again, and start with releasing Brandon Tate. That dude is hot garbage. Not only is he near literal worthlessness in the receiving game, he's not even that great a return man. He ain't Deven Hester. Get his clown ass a one way pass to the CFL or a gift card to Applebees, and kick shit out the door. Sooner than later. Put the saved coin in that rookie pool or injury settlement fund Hobspin is always yammering about.

In all seriousness, what else is going on? Fill me in. Any exciting news, Bengals or board drama related? I think I'm pretty much caught up in a lot of roster moves, but maybe not. Maybe there's something cool I don't even know about.
Reply/Quote
Sup Player hater?

Someone did say Alford was getting first team reps....

I imagine it's not even apathy with you. There's just nothing left to talk about. Th same recurring theme happens year after year. You've just bludgeoned it to death to where there's nothing left to talk about. robably natural when we have the same narrative for six years

The Bengals need to set the tone fast and early. If they do that, I like their chances.

I don't think Burfict is going to have a long career as an NFL player; the environment will find a reason to be a thorn in his side. The Bengals might want to find a replacement sooner than later, if possible.

Will the Dalton-Greeen era reach new heights or will they be forever shrouded in "what could've been? New year, same ol question. find out on the next exciting episode of DRAGON BALL ZEE
Reply/Quote
I have no ax to grind against the team, owner, coaches nor players. All the fake outrage pretending that your life is a living heck just because player x doesn't live up to your 'demanding standards' means about as much to me as how much you paid for a stick of gum in 1983.
I enjoy reading about the team and hope they win it all, but in no way does it or will it affect the way I go through life or my happiness.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My mildly irritating issue is the team losing a home game with the trip to London. Why any team has to give up a home game is still a mystery to me.
Other than that, life's good .... as far as I know.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Quote:Other than that, life's good .... as far as I know

Considering that we're all going to die, yes, life's great while we're still relatively young and healthy.. It begins to kind of stink when we get old and decrepit.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 09:24 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I haven't been on here all that much.  I contribute that to equal parts lack of time, and general apathy regarding all things Bengals.  

I don't have nearly the amount of free time I used to (I used to do the bulk of my posting while working a mind numbing, boring desk job) and with what little time I do have I seem to spend less of it in keeping up with all things sports.  

You can chalk that up to any number of things, and apathy is definitely one.  Not as so much to say that I don't care at all about the team, it's that I just don't care enough to argue about them anymore.  That's not much more  for me to say regarding my opinions on how they do things.  The arguments and stances don't change all that much.  I mean, at some point after going in countless circles you have to stop, right?  Do I really need to debate the validity of our free agency approach for the 283rd time, and do I really need to do it with a person that I've disagreed with 85 times before? You can also chalk it up to me gaining a tad of perspective, aging, etc.

I spend more time on a guitar forum these days. And I kinda realized something, I'm just a much nice person on those boards than these.  I caught myself a few times thinking about that just posting over there.  Ex: "Great thread, thanks for sharing!!!"  And thinking that it quite differed than my mindset on here.  But I think that's probably just because 1.) I respect  a guitar historian more than I do Fred Toast and 2.) A Fender strat is a thing to celebrate, while Marvin Lewis is a giggling puppet.  Ninja

Season is coming up, I need to get my game face on.  I still strongly dislike Marvin, and am as equally frustrated by Mike Brown's stubbornness, and I can't just let that stand can?  No, sir.  While now, in the middle of nothingness in the NFL, I'm going to try and be less cynical, and less argumentative, I can't promise that I don't make a few dozen "Let's go/Giggle" jokes come the season.

Oh and one other thing, that truck with the Mike Brown Still Stinks and Trump 2016 sticker Mike mentioned yesterday, that was me. (It wasn't.)  Let's make this team great again, and start with releasing Brandon Tate.  That dude is hot garbage.  Not only is he near literal worthlessness in the receiving game, he's not even that great a return man.  He ain't Deven Hester.  Get his clown ass a one way pass to the CFL or a gift card to Applebees, and kick shit out the door.  Sooner than later.  Put the saved coin in that rookie pool or injury settlement fund Hobspin is always yammering about.

In all seriousness, what else is going on?  Fill me in.  Any exciting news, Bengals or board drama related?  I think I'm pretty much caught up in a lot of roster moves, but maybe not.  Maybe there's something cool I don't even know about.

Football is just around the corner and damn am i excited about a lot of players this year...

Andrew Billings, Darqueze Dennard, WJ3, Ogbuehi, Fisher, Dawson, Vigil, Geno (again), Dunlap (again), Dansby (for hecks sake) etc.

Also very interested in how our new WR's can fill in in the wake of the MLJ, Sanu losses.

Love it when TC comes around every year baby. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 10:20 AM)MTHE Bigzoman Wrote: I imagine it's not even apathy with you. There's just nothing left to talk about. Th same recurring theme happens year after year. You've just bludgeoned it to death to where there's nothing left to talk about. robably natural when we have the same narrative for six years
Pretty much.  I think I finally just wore myself out debating everything that surrounds this team. 

It is what is, I've tried to make my point, and I think a lot of us are clear on who stands where on what issues.  No point in continuing spinning in circles. 

And honestly, I think that's the core of the argument.  Nothing has changed recently with the approach, and you're either for it or against it.  When nothing changes with that then the conversations here will remain the same for many. 

Yes, the team is better than they were 15 years ago. Yes, they're better off than the Browns, or the Raiders, or the Bills.  They've had a better run than a of the peers recently.  And you're either happy enough with that, or hopeful enough that the success will continue and there's potential for improvement, or you think this approach isn't getting us where we ultimately want to be.

I hope they do well, I would love to see it.  I'll watch every game this year just like I have the last 30 years or so.  I'll gladly ask to hop back on the Pro-Marvin or Pro-Conservative Approach bandwagon if it happens.  I just don't hold out  a lot of hope.  And there's no more sense in getting worked up about it.

I feel like my type of fandom almost follow some similar to the stages of grief.

1.) Blind homerism = Denial (This is the year! Me in '93, '94, '95)
2.) Depression (God we're so bad, what did we do deserve this? Me in '98, '99, '00...)
3.) Hope, back to normalcy. Football is fun again. (Me in '03, '04, '05)
4.) Anger. (Me in '10, '11, '12...)
5.) Acceptance. Mike isn't going to change, Marvin isn't going anywhere. We're either going to win this way or not. Oh, well.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 12:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: I have no ax to grind against the team, owner, coaches nor players. All the fake outrage pretending that your life is a living heck just because player x doesn't live up to your 'demanding standards' means about as much to me as how much you paid for a stick of gum in 1983.
I enjoy reading about the team and hope they win it all, but in no way does it or will it affect the way I go through life or my happiness.

Does anyone, at least on here, do that though?  Show fake outrage, and pretend that their life is living heck?  I haven't seen it, and I certainly  hope you're not labeling me as such a person.

You know, people are capable of debating a topic they're passionate about without it affecting their overall happiness.  Many people earn a good living do it.

There's plenty of people who go on to lead wonderful lives, who have a negative view on a certain negative subject.  And many times one that they enjoy.  Ex: Go to Ford Car Lovers forum and you'll find all kinds of opinions on all kinds of models.  And they're all Ford.  If a guy wants to be debate the Pros and Cons of a certain engine or whatever, that doesn't mean it affect his real life and more than it affects than it affects Joe from Flo's opinion that Marvin Lewis sucks. But somehow that mindset has wormed it's way into sports with some fans. It, afterall, is a product and there's a million different ways to perceive and support it.

What's really happening is sometimes some people get their feelings hurt, or are incredibly defensive about a subject they are also passionate about, resorting to painting the other party is unreasonable or extreme.

You know how many sports fans  allow sports to affect their life in someway, regardless of whether it's positive or negative?  A.) All of them.  Or why else would you watch?  I think every sports fan has allowed their favorite team a little both at some point.  Show me a fan who's never been angry or disappointed with something regarding their team (game, signing, arrest, interview) and I'll show either a liar or a vegetable.  Same goes for the reverse.  Show me a fan who's never been happy and I'll show the same.

The real truth is there's differing levels of everything surrounding being a fan.  Dollars spent, time invested, articles read, jersey's owned/worned, how long you've been a fan, where you're from.  There's no one measure.  Therefore there is no right way.  And there's all different levels of satisfaction, and different levels of expectations.  So unless you see someone actual get on here and gripe that the team is literally affecting their life (Relationships, family, work, sleep, eat, etc.) then how about you don't paint with such a broad brush, huh?

Saying a negatively opinionated person allows this team make their life a living heck is akin to saying that a positive person only cares about this team, and puts too much value in it's worth.  Both are completely unfair and seem to be used only to take a dig at a person who shares a different view.  IMO at least. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 01:39 PM)iNate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:
1.) Football is just around the corner and damn am i excited about a lot of players this year...

2.) Andrew Billings, Darqueze Dennard, WJ3, Ogbuehi, Fisher, Dawson, Vigil, Geno (again), Dunlap (again), Dansby (for hecks sake) etc.

3.) Also very interested in how our new WR's can fill in in the wake of the MLJ, Sanu losses.

Love it when TC comes around every year baby. Rock On

1.) I think I'll be a lot more excited what's preseason starts.  I kinda just took this offseason off for whatever reason.  Lack of time, old age, knowing the approach, etc. 

And f we're being perfectly honestly, I do think Fantasy football has drastically changed my views on the game.  And that could be a bad thing.  Could be a good thing too, I do enjoy it.  Regardless, it's different for now than it was when I was growing up.  I seem to perk up more once I start researching my teams, and I pay attention to a lot more of what's going around on in the league.  But I do think that plays a part in my urgency in Free Agency and how I view our approach vs others. 

2.) I've always really like him.  For some reason Dansby, Boldin, Bush seemed to be guys I've always sung praises of, both as potential fits and value.  And I of course like all of their skillsets.  I'll take an older Dansby any day.  Great value, little to no risk IMO.  Way cooler signing than AJ Hawk IMHO.

3.) Me too.  Surprisingly enough, I love the approach.  I thought both Jones and Sanu were vastly overpaid.  And even at, say, 25% less I'm not sure I want either contract, which is saying a lot. 

You have had offense lead by a plethora talent, with capable of coordinators, one of who I think was great.  A quality starting QB, a well above average line, a top tier Thunder and Lightening running attack, all with AJ Green on one side, and Tyler Eifert at TE.  It's really hard to say how much of that success was playing in that system, with that group, was the result of actual talent and ability.  And I mean, if we really look, exactly how much did Sanu have?  Anywhere near enough to warrant that deal?  Not IMO.  Same goes for Jones.

Weapons are not issue.  Brandon Lafell is capable, and the rookie is intriguing.  I think we're all good there.  I'll take a signing like the one that got Iloka locked up 100 times of 100 over keeping one of those wideouts we lost.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 01:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 5.) Acceptance.  Mike isn't going to change, Marvin isn't going anywhere.  We're either going to win this way or not.  Oh, well.
Nothing will be different,why would anyone expect so? With Lewis as HC you have to come to terms that it is what it is and enjoy our games for what they're worth.  Every year is going to be "different" and it never is. This year were supposed to have a great lineup and depth, and that very well may be true....but one thing will stop that. Lewis...
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 02:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) I think I'll be a lot more excited what's preseason starts.  I kinda just took this offseason off for whatever reason.  Lack of time, old age, knowing the approach, etc. 

And f we're being perfectly honestly, I do think Fantasy football has drastically changed my views on the game.  And that could be a bad thing.  Could be a good thing too, I do enjoy it.  Regardless, it's different for now than it was when I was growing up.  I seem to perk up more once I start researching my teams, and I pay attention to a lot more of what's going around on in the league.  But I do think that plays a part in my urgency in Free Agency and how I view our approach vs others. 

2.) I've always really like him.  For some reason Dansby, Boldin, Bush seemed to be guys I've always sung praises of, both as potential fits and value.  And I of course like all of their skillsets.  I'll take an older Dansby any day.  Great value, little to no risk IMO.  Way cooler signing than AJ Hawk IMHO.

3.) Me too.  Surprisingly enough, I love the approach.  I thought both Jones and Sanu were vastly overpaid.  And even at, say, 25% less I'm not sure I want either contract, which is saying a lot. 

You have had offense lead by a plethora talent, with capable of coordinators, one of who I think was great.  A quality starting QB, a well above average line, a top tier Thunder and Lightening running attack, all with AJ Green on one side, and Tyler Eifert at TE.  It's really hard to say how much of that success was playing in that system, with that group, was the result of actual talent and ability.  And I mean, if we really look, exactly how much did Sanu have?  Anywhere near enough to warrant that deal?  Not IMO.  Same goes for Jones.

Weapons are not issue.  Brandon Lafell is capable, and the rookie is intriguing.  I think we're all good there.  I'll take a signing like the one that got Iloka locked up 100 times of 100 over keeping one of those wideouts we lost.   ThumbsUp

I do think that fantasy football has changed a lot of older fans views on the game no question. If someone has
only been a fan of the game for a short time it wouldn't effect them but it really messed with us older fans.
More about individual players than the teams which is not good IMO.

I think a really big reason why i am so excited this year is the team went and drafted the single player i was
wanting us to draft whether it was in the 4th round or the 1st. Billings was who i was wanting to put next to
Atkins, i have been pushing for a Peko replacement for a bit now. I believe Billings can be that perfect DT for
us with how young he is and he has shown he is not a one trick pony. Dude threw OL around like Geno at
Baylor and has maybe even more strength. Great run stopper already.

With you on Dansby, wanted the guy in stripes for awhile. Great to finally get him here.

Hope you are right about Lafell, Boyd and company. I bet we will have some chemistry issues early tho.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 09:24 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So What's New, Jungle Noise?

Let's see if I can list the highlights for you without throwing too much of my own opinions into them.

1. The front office has been balking at signing Dwight Freeney, whom the defensive coaches very much would like to have. Instead we seem to be counting on Hunt and Clarke to actually contribute this year. Guessing they're trying to save face or guaranteed money or something or other.
2. Bengals had 6 players in the 2016 top 100 players on the NFL Network. Nelson also made the list, but he's with the Raiders. Adam Jones and Burfict didn't make the list, so for me, we should have had 2 more.
3. The media still doesn't respect the Bengals and most publications have us finishing behind the Squeelers even though it looks like Bell is headed for another drug suspension. Apparently he kept not showing up for drug tests.
4. AJ McCarron was named as the top backup QB by someone or other, which sparked a nice thread of jabbing.
5. Marvin Lewis has even more gray hair, but hasn't lost his giggles.
6. We had another damn good draft in most people's opinion.
7. We spent another 1st rounder on a CB and, if we resign Leon Hall, we'll be back up to 5 1st round corners.
8. Eifert is going to miss games again.
9. Been hearing good things about Tyler Boyd by coaches and players. Some think we might have a better WR group than last year.
10. The Browns reboot version 87 is starting just like the others, clean sweep of everything in sight except the owner's obsession to change everything in sight every two years. Makes for a good laugh.
11. Some people still wonder why Brandon Tate gets flak from the fans.
12. Actually, it's been so freakin' slow that there's a whole thread about the team's pending signing of a rookie free agent who was cut by another team. You know it's damn slow when we start getting those kind of threads.
13. We are currently 2 under the roster limit of 90 going into training camp.
14. Training camp has started!

Reply/Quote
[Image: 57637667.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 01:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 4.) Anger. (Me in '10, '11, '12...)

I hated the 2010 team, but you didn't like watching a rookie take a team that EVERYONE in the media predicted would go 0-16 to the playoffs?  That was one huge shytburger they served up.  I also got a good laugh watching Palmer tailgate at a game, then get traded to the Raiders for what turned out to be Gio and Dre K, and immediately throw 3 INTs in one half?  

I actually liked that year quite a bit.  No, they didn't win in the postseason, but I felt that they had started to build the foundation of a team that will contend every year.  

I know people are pissed about the playoff losses against SD and last year to Pitt, but the bottom line to it all is if your team is competitive enough to make the postseason every year, then if you have the good fortune to have depth and remain somewhat healthy, then you have a shot at a title.  

If Dalton isn't injured, I have very little doubt that they would have won the Super Bowl and that hurts to say.  However, I think they all know this as well and we have a team now that will have a shot to win it all each and every year as they continue to draft well, re-sign their core players, and maintain stability in the coaching ranks.  

I love this situation and I love this team. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 12:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: I have no ax to grind against the team, owner, coaches nor players. All the fake outrage pretending that your life is a living heck just because player x doesn't live up to your 'demanding standards' means about as much to me as how much you paid for a stick of gum in 1983.
Exactly... If this team or sport angers you in any way, you need a dose of real ****** problems in your life.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote