Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Who is this Mystery Player?
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Lewis_PreDraft_News_Conference_426/7fb27ada-9ddf-4faf-87fb-5fd26c192722

Go to 4:30 and listen to Marvin talk about one particular player.

Who could he be talking about?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
It seemed like someone that they wanted to play very early in their career..

So I'm thinking... a WR or Center?
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I can't listen at work, what's he say?!?!?!?!?! I wanna know! This is torture lol I'm just ready for tomorrow night!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 10:38 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I can't listen at work, what's he say?!?!?!?!?! I wanna know! This is torture lol I'm just ready for tomorrow night!

From the Transcript..

“As always, it depends on whether our player is there when it’s our turn. In my opinion, we’re going to have a hard time backing away from one of the players who we feel good about who can make a contribution early in his career.”

- Marvin Lewis
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 10:38 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I can't listen at work, what's he say?!?!?!?!?! I wanna know! This is torture lol I'm just ready for tomorrow night!

He said nothing.

Just looking forward to getting "our guy who can contribute early in his career."
Reply/Quote
I don't think he was talking about one player, but the myriad of players that may be there when we pick that could be immediate starters. I think all it meant is that Marv is excited about this draft class! haha.
Reply/Quote
Rankins, Reed or Billings. I'm sort of hoping for a DT.
Reply/Quote
If he is indeed talking about a specific player and not just the general 'our guy' then I'd bet it's Doctson or Treadwell. Both should be able to help out early and are at a position of need. I know many want a center but I doubt that's as high a priority for the FO as it is for fans.
Reply/Quote
It just seemed to me that they were very hopeful about one particular guy -- the way he said it.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 11:21 AM)EatonFan Wrote: It just seemed to me that they were very hopeful about one particular guy -- the way he said it.

Doctson or Treadwell, it's got to be a day 1 starter on a win now team. And the only way we will get there is if Andy has quality people around him. I don't think Andy is capable of Making players around him better like Brady, manning, Bree's.

That isn't an insult by any means, but Andy can be a top 5-6 qb win the right people Around him. Without that same personal around him he is borderline average.

Very similar to a Russell Wilson or Carson Palmer. You may even be able to lump flacco and Matt Ryan into that conversation.

Very few guys are manning or brady

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/27/11517862/nfl-trade-rumors-bengals-trying-to-move-up-in-nfl-draft-for-josh
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 01:46 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Doctson or Treadwell, it's got to be a day 1 starter on a win now team. And the only way we will get there is if Andy has quality people around him. I don't think Andy is capable of Making players around him better like Brady, manning, Bree's.

That isn't an insult by any means, but Andy can be a top 5-6 qb win the right people Around him. Without that same personal around him he is borderline average.

Very similar to a Russell Wilson or Carson Palmer. You may even be able to lump flacco and Matt Ryan into that conversation.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/27/11517862/nfl-trade-rumors-bengals-trying-to-move-up-in-nfl-draft-for-josh

What Dalton just made Sanu and Jones Eifert(soon) and Green a lot of money over the past few years.
Reply/Quote
best news from the presser was that we are not considering drafting the belle of the ball.

I don't know of any belle of the ball that would help upgrade our roster.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 01:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What Dalton just made Sanu and Jones Eifert(soon) and Green a lot of money over the past few years.

Or they helped make him a lot of money?

I am not bashing dalton, I even said that above, but he needs a glutiny of good talent to play at his highest level. That's all.

Bree's will throw for 5,000 yards regardless, Brady will continue to be elite, manning (pre last 18 months) could make stokely, welker, Dallas Clark, (guy from OSU) double digit td machines.

Unfortunately dalton isn't one of those once in a generation qb. But he can be an elite qb with the right talent.

It's not a hard concept
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 11:07 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: If he is indeed talking about a specific player and not just the general 'our guy' then I'd bet it's Doctson or Treadwell. Both should be able to help out early and are at a position of need. I know many want a center but I doubt that's as high a priority for the FO as it is for fans.

(04-27-2016, 01:46 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Doctson or Treadwell, it's got to be a day 1 starter on a win now team. And the only way we will get there is if Andy has quality people around him.  I don't think Andy is capable of Making players around him better like Brady, manning, Bree's.

That isn't an insult by any means, but Andy can be a top 5-6 qb win the right people Around him.   Without that same personal around him he is borderline average.

Very similar to a Russell Wilson or Carson Palmer.  You may even be able to lump flacco and Matt Ryan into that conversation.

Receivers are a dime a dozen and, even if we do take one, he'd still be a distant second to AJ, so I gotta think he's talking about a center to solidify our line or a nose to make our front four absolutely nasty.

Then again, he could also mean DE, but I don't think that's the direction we'll go, so it will be NT or C (I'm leaning more towards Kelly at C today).
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Receivers are a dime a dozen and, even if we do take one, he'd still be a distant second to AJ, so I gotta think he's talking about a center to solidify our line or a nose to make our front four absolutely nasty.

Then again, he could also mean DE, but I don't think that's the direction we'll go, so it will be NT or C (I'm leaning more towards Kelly at C today).

If that were the case they why did marvin jones just get $8 mil and Sanu $6? Why did we offer a contract close to what MJ got if they are a dime a dozen? Why does this draft seem to lack so much talent at WR if they are everywhere?

Here's the truth, shitty receivers are a dime a dozen. Good ones...not so much.

And if we do take one and AJ is double teamed all game he won't be a distant second. If AJ gets hurt he won't be a distant second.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:24 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: If that were the case they why did marvin jones just get $8 mil and Sanu $6? Why did we offer a contract close to what MJ got if they are a dime a dozen? Why does this draft seem to lack so much talent at WR if they are everywhere?

And if we do take one and AJ is double teamed all game he won't be a distant second. If AJ gets hurt he won't be a distant second.

Agree on all points.

I like Treadwell the best. I think he will be a force in the league for a while. 6-8 years of 80 catchy 1,000 yard double digit td seasons wouldn't surprise me (alshon, boldin, Marshall, Crabtree)

He won't be a 15 ypc guy but he is already a pro, he handles himself well and is humble.

Info like Doctson second, I think he has a higher ceiling but there is something that scares me about him. I can't put my finger on it but I just have a little more hesitation. I would still love him in a bengals uniform.

Same for Coleman... He is a beast and can go get the ball but limited routes. At least he could stretch the field and be a day 1 starter but is he Kendall wright? And not worth the hype.

After those 3 id trade back5-6 spots and get a wr like fuller or Thomas and pick up a 3rd. Use that 3rd and double down at wrincreasing your odds at a starting WR.
Reply/Quote
"...early in his career."  Perhaps this means that they're looking to draft a young player?  Who's unusually young in this draft besides Billings?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:24 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: If that were the case they why did marvin jones just get $8 mil and Sanu $6? Why did we offer a contract close to what MJ got if they are a dime a dozen? Why does this draft seem to lack so much talent at WR if they are everywhere?

They got so much money because teams don't realize that they were successful because of AJ getting all the attention on the other side.  They were also products of the system.  

Decent receivers are a dime a dozen, and that's what we need.  Even if we took a receiver early, it's still Marvin and still the AFCN, which is a power division, so we're not going to turn into a high-octane offense.  

If anything, we'd take a possession receiver, which the best one is Michael Thomas, and he can even offer more than that.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it has to do with age. It sounds like he wants to draft someone who can step in and play right away. So probably a WR. I've seen some rumors ciruclating that the Bengals really like Docston and he would be a good fit. He seems most NFL ready outside of Treadwell.

Coleman has upside but doesn't know many routes. Had a limited route tree. As did Fuller.

But, DT wouldn't surprise me either. Or even safety.

I haven't heard names, the only thing I've heard was about Docston
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 03:56 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: But, DT wouldn't surprise me either. Or even safety.

Nelson's at the top of the depth chart right now, but I don't know how official that is because it sounded like they were big on Shawn Williams, which makes me think that they wouldn't go safety early.
Reply/Quote