Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Who's Left?
I look for things to happen soon with Bengals on this. The real problem was Bengals choice for Head Coach went all the way to the Super Bowl and he wasn't even brought in and signed until less than 2 weeks ago. Some sites had Grantham, Manuel, Pleasant, Elko on Bengals list. OK, scratch off Grantham. One site says why not Rex Ryan, but there are lot of why nots. Manuel played for Bengals, coached at Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons, I can see that happening. Taylor has been in same coaching room with Pleasant, I can see that happening. Elko just went from Notre Dame to Texas A& M and would be a very expensive hire with no NFL coaching experience, so I don't see the Elko thing happening as much.

If I was betting on it, I would bet this week Bengals hire either Manuel or Pleasant so they can end this DC search and get on to getting ready for Free Agency and Combines coming up. Manuel who use to play for Bengals has good experience coaching at Seattle known for good D, and Atlanta. Manuel or Pleasant. Manuel does have D Coordinator experience, not sure Pleasant has any. When Manuel played here, that was LeBeau, a very good D Coach. Manuel known as a Fiery D Coordinator at Atlanta, maybe Bengals could use some fire. Manuel looking for a job. Doesn't Manuel have some Super Bowl coaching experience at Seattle and Atlanta, could be. Bengals interested in both these coaches.

I look for Bengals to hire somebody and end this before next weekend. That isn't bad, if they hire the D Coach 2 to 3 weeks after Head Coach, and Super Bowl just held everything up a little. They get somebody hired, I change my mood back to Hopeful, which I want to be as a Homer of my Home Team.

Manuel or Pleasant. Myself, I think Pleasant too young. I'm kind of leaning towards more experienced Manuel. Ex Bengals player returning with D Coaching experience.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Based on the fact we heard about the Ohio State DC as the most recent target, I believe Pleasant and Manual have already been eliminated as options. I think someone we haven’t talked about will be hired and most likely comes from the college ranks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 11:43 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: Based on the fact we heard about the Ohio State DC as the most recent target, I believe Pleasant and Manual have already been eliminated as options. I think someone we haven’t talked about will be hired and most likely comes from the college ranks.

I'm still holding out hope for Rex or Mike Nolan, however misguided that hope may be.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 11:43 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: Based on the fact we heard about the Ohio State DC as the most recent target, I believe Pleasant and Manual have already been eliminated as options. I think someone we haven’t talked about will be hired and most likely comes from the college ranks.

The problem is college and the NFL are not the same.  All NFL players say it was an adjustment going from college to NFL.  It is quicker, faster, harder.  Plus you are trying to defense Brady, Brees and all the good QB's in NFL.  So I'm not big on the guy from Texas A & M that has only coached in college.  Manuel is starting to sound good to me.  Played under D HOF Lebeau,  coached at Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons.  I think Super Bowls with both, but I'm not sure. IF Manuel was a Super Bowl D Coordinator at Atlanta, get him in here, because we haven't won in play-offs in forever. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 01:18 PM)kevin Wrote: The problem is college and the NFL are not the same.  All NFL players say it was an adjustment going from college to NFL.  It is quicker, faster, harder.  Plus you are trying to defense Brady, Brees and all the good QB's in NFL.  So I'm not big on the guy from Texas A & M that has only coached in college.  Manuel is starting to sound good to me.  Played under D HOF Lebeau,  coached at Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons.  I think Super Bowls with both, but I'm not sure. IF Manuel was a Super Bowl D Coordinator at Atlanta, get him in here, because we haven't won in play-offs in forever. 

A guy like Jay Gruden went from the Arena League and was a pretty good OC as a rookie.

These guys are calling plays...not playing. There are only so many defenses to call. Having a good feel for the game and being able to figure out what the other team is trying to attack are important.

Manual was relieved of playcalling duties with the Falcons...then fired. Their defense was pretty bad. I'd stay away from him.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 11:43 AM)Phil in BG Wrote:  I believe Pleasant and Manual have already been eliminated as options. I think someone we haven’t talked about will be hired and most likely comes from the college ranks.

This.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 11:43 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: Based on the fact we heard about the Ohio State DC as the most recent target, I believe Pleasant and Manual have already been eliminated as options. I think someone we haven’t talked about will be hired and most likely comes from the college ranks.

Mark Tressel or Kevin Steele would be nice. Sunset brought up these names.

Michigan State and Auburn DC's.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mark Tressel or Kevin Steele would be nice. Sunset brought up these names.

I get the difference between the NFL and college, mainly though I believe the difference is speed and talent level. I think the right college DC can catch up

Reply/Quote
I would also assume they’re not inviting one coach at a time. When they called for Hafley they probably called a couple more. Who might they be assuming the original group is behind them?

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 04:35 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: I get the difference between the NFL and college, mainly though I believe the difference is speed and talent level. I think the right college DC can catch up

Not to mention, a college DC sees pretty much nothing but college offenses, which are currently taking the NFL by storm.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 07:36 PM)McC Wrote: Not to mention, a college DC sees pretty much nothing but college offenses, which are currently taking the NFL by storm.

Yeah...I would have no hesitation hiring a college DC.

That said, Jay Gruden came from the Arena League. A good coach is going to be able to analyze offenses and come up with a way to neutralize it.

Honestly, in the NFL...really only 1-3 DC's can stop the great offenses. We just need someone that can get home with blitzes, create some turnovers, and not give up a ton of big plays. Teams are going to score.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 07:36 PM)McC Wrote: Not to mention, a college DC sees pretty much nothing but college offenses, which are currently taking the NFL by storm.

Not to mention there are two QB’s in our division just out of college running offenses suited for them.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 08:10 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: Not to mention there are two QB’s in our division just out of college running offenses suited for them.

Supposedly Cleveland runs an almost exact copy of Oklahoma's offense.

And of course Jackson is running a college offense as he runs a lot. We need to fix our LB's to stop him.

IF we can land a RT in free agency like Jawaun James, I'm warming to drafting White at MLB.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 08:10 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: Not to mention there are two QB’s in our division just out of college running offenses suited for them.

Bingo.  Excellent point.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mark Tressel or Kevin Steele would be nice. Sunset brought up these names.

Steele makes $2.05 million. I doubt we'd be willing to pay him $2.5 million to make it worth coming.

Mike Tressel makes $622k.
Reply/Quote
I actually suggested Mike Nolan from the beginning.

Let's hire Jim Tressel to coach something. I only thought of that because someone said Marc Tressel and I was thinking of Jim.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Teams have already shown how to shutdown the Ravens new look running offense and it's a rather simple thing to do. The Ravens cannot win games with Jackson's arm.

Every team in the AFC North has glaring weaknesses. Winning the division isn't far fetched for any of the 4 teams.

Reply/Quote
This entire search for a DC is more stressful than the HC search/waiting for SB53 to be over.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 08:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I would have no hesitation hiring a college DC.

That said, Jay Gruden came from the Arena League. A good coach is going to be able to analyze offenses and come up with a way to neutralize it.

Honestly, in the NFL...really only 1-3 DC's can stop the great offenses. We just need someone that can get home with blitzes, create some turnovers, and not give up a ton of big plays. Teams are going to score.

Completely agree with you here Pistons.

(02-17-2019, 08:10 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: Not to mention there are two QB’s in our division just out of college running offenses suited for them.

Great point.

(02-17-2019, 08:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Supposedly Cleveland runs an almost exact copy of Oklahoma's offense.

And of course Jackson is running a college offense as he runs a lot. We need to fix our LB's to stop him.

IF we can land a RT in free agency like Jawaun James, I'm warming to drafting White at MLB.

Yes, liking White for us more than anyone.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 12:25 PM)McC Wrote: I'm still holding out hope for Rex or Mike Nolan, however misguided that hope may be.

It won't be Nolan, as I saw the other day that he had stated he would not consider the job to someone in the media posing the question to him.
Reply/Quote