Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So, afer 16 years, what does a total coaching revamp get us??
(01-12-2019, 01:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: HOPE

Where before we had none.

Exactly. Look, they may go 3-13 next year but we can all say that at least they made some MEANINGFUL changes that needed to be made. The new guy probably knows he will have a longer leash than most coaches, so this may be a legitimate 3-5 year process. May have to take a step back before taking steps forward. 

It's not like this team is devoid of talent. This team 100% healthy can win you 8-10 games. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's because our linebackers got shredded with short passes all year....

I get that, but I still find it hard to believe a defense that gave up the most passing yards in the league had the number 7 ranked secondary. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A good chance to be on Hard Knocks is what I am thinking!!!!!

I don't think anyone in Cincinnati wants that distraction year one of a new regime.

Maybe year two
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It gives us hope as at times change can be great. But in the NFL, it seems to not work out great more times than it works out great. I am sure Denver was thrilled when hey hired Joseph just 2 years ago. McVay worked out great, but is he the exception rather than the rule. Gase and Bowles did not last long. Wilks, one year?

I have a hard time getting pumped when the odds are the new guy has no more success than the old guy.

I think the difference is that the core has already had some success and we are not that far removed from it.  We have a QB who is 17 games over .500. AJ. Green and Boyd. Mixon and a good secondary. Also Dunlap and Geno.  We need an upgraded offensive line and an athletic LB and I think this team is ready to win. 

The Jets were bad before Bowles got there. The Broncos and Cardinals had horrible QB situations. The Dolphins did make the playoffs a couple of years ago but they did not seem like a playoff team to me. Dalton > Tannehill in my book.

I think the biggest problem with this team is complacency and attitude. I think a younger head coach will inject some life into this team and this city.
Reply/Quote
"So, after 16 years, what does a total coaching revamp get us??"

A fresh start. Hope.

And that is all i can ask for at this time.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:38 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I get that, but I still find it hard to believe a defense that gave up the most passing yards in the league had the number 7 ranked secondary. 

Well, believe it or not, they did.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, believe it or not, they did.

According to who?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:55 PM)Fullrock Wrote: According to who?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-secondary-rankings-all-32-teams-after-17-weeks
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It gives us hope as at times change can be great. But in the NFL, it seems to not work out great more times than it works out great. I am sure Denver was thrilled when hey hired Joseph just 2 years ago. McVay worked out great, but is he the exception rather than the rule. Gase and Bowles did not last long. Wilks, one year?

I have a hard time getting pumped when the odds are the new guy has no more success than the old guy.

Elway blowing multiple opportunities to nab a decent QB had more to do with Denver’s downfall than Joseph. Being in the same division as the Chiefs and Chargers with bums under center is a recipe for a 3rd place schedule.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
The 2019 Cincinnati Bengals will be like the name of Star Wars IV.
Reply/Quote
If Katie and Troy are in fact running the show now I'd love to see them go all out. They have taken step 1 cleaning house on the coaching staff. Now let's see them do some things the fans would like such as a ring of honor, statues of Paul Brown and Anthony Munoz outside the stadium. Spruce up PBS with some banners. Change the uniforms (leave the helmets alone, but get rid of that stupid B and replace it with the tiger head). Put a bubble on the practice field. If they're really serious about winning back the fans then do what the fans want. The Reds have done a great job turning GABP into a showplace, just think how great it would be if we had two awesome stadiums a quarter mile apart.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 05:13 PM)BengalRed Wrote: If Katie and Troy are in fact running the show now I'd love to see them go all out. They have taken step 1 cleaning house on the coaching staff. Now let's see them do some things the fans would like such as a ring of honor, statues of Paul Brown and Anthony Munoz outside the stadium. Spruce up PBS with some banners. Change the uniforms (leave the helmets alone, but get rid of that stupid B and replace it with the tiger head). Put a bubble on the practice field. If they're really serious about winning back the fans then do what the fans want. The Reds have done a great job turning GABP into a showplace, just think how great it would be if we had two awesome  stadiums a quarter mile apart.

They can't bubble the practice fields..... 
Reply/Quote
"all-or-nothing" series on Amazon Prime is just as good if not better than Hard Knocks. They did a series on the Rams, and it was fantastic. I would like for them to wait a year though, so the new players and coaches get into the system more.

I imagine with such a sweeping change, that the Bengals as a team and organization would need to establish some footing so that the cameras would not interfere with day-to-day operations.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 06:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: "all-or-nothing" series on Amazon Prime is just as good if not better than Hard Knocks.  They did a series on the Rams, and it was fantastic.    I would like for them to wait a year though, so the new players and coaches get into the system more.  

I imagine with such a sweeping change, that the Bengals as a team and organization would need to establish some footing so that the cameras would not interfere with day-to-day operations.

If you listen to the players and coaches, they forget the cameras are there after about the 1st day. The cameras in the meeting rooms are small wall mounted units, and on the practice field there's always multiple cameras filming every practice. Fans make more of it than it really is...
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If you listen to the players and coaches, they forget the cameras are there after about the 1st day. The cameras in the meeting rooms are small wall mounted units, and on the practice field there's always multiple cameras filming every practice. Fans make more of it than it really is...

There is a reason the NFL started the rule in 2013 that would require certain teams to be on Hard Knocks if assigned.  That reason was a lack of teams that volunteered.  If it is not such an issue I wonder why the NFL made a rule to require certain teams to participate? It seems they did so because I bet many teams don't want to be part of that distraction.

Small cameras or not, this or that, it is certainly a distraction even if a minor one knowing you are being filmed and watched constantly for a major TV program.  With an almost entire new coaching staff I think there are going to be enough distractions already for coaches, veteran players and the new players.  There will be new systems to learn, new coaches to become comfortable with, and a slew of other new information for the players and coaches to have to deal with.  The last thing I think they need is to wonder how they might be depicted on Hard Knocks.  With the new revamp of the coaching staff and all that it involves I can't imagine being on Hard Knocks is at the top of the Bengals wish list list or even on the list at all. Of course if the NFL offers Mike Brown a big enough check for doing so, you never know, haha.

Plus there are 5 teams that can be forced to be on Hard Knocks this year based on the criteria: Lions, Raiders, Giants, 49ers and Redskins. My guess would be the Raiders since Jon Gruden is the head coach and all that drama it has brought.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:40 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I think the difference is that the core has already had some success and we are not that far removed from it.  We have a QB who is 17 games over .500. AJ. Green and Boyd. Mixon and a good secondary. Also Dunlap and Geno.  We need an upgraded offensive line and an athletic LB and I think this team is ready to win. 

The Jets were bad before Bowles got there. The Broncos and Cardinals had horrible QB situations. The Dolphins did make the playoffs a couple of years ago but they did not seem like a playoff team to me. Dalton > Tannehill in my book.

I think the biggest problem with this team is complacency and attitude. I think a younger head coach will inject some life into this team and this city.

I agree with you. That is why the idea of going backwards from a 6 win season has zero appeal to me as a fan. Winning is success, looking better and still losing is well....still losing
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 05:13 PM)BengalRed Wrote: If Katie and Troy are in fact running the show now I'd love to see them go all out. They have taken step 1 cleaning house on the coaching staff. Now let's see them do some things the fans would like such as a ring of honor, statues of Paul Brown and Anthony Munoz outside the stadium. Spruce up PBS with some banners. Change the uniforms (leave the helmets alone, but get rid of that stupid B and replace it with the tiger head). Put a bubble on the practice field. If they're really serious about winning back the fans then do what the fans want. The Reds have done a great job turning GABP into a showplace, just think how great it would be if we had two awesome  stadiums a quarter mile apart.

You had me until you said Reds ownership did anything positive. He destroyed a winning tradition and is 10X worse than MB in my opinion. Remove the talent from GABP which he did destroyed the in game experience and chance to win games.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You had me until you said Reds ownership did anything positive. He destroyed a winning tradition and is 10X worse than MB in my opinion. Remove the talent from GABP which he did destroyed the in game experience and chance to win games.

I was only referring to the upgrades he made to the stadium not the changes in the clubhouse. Hopefully he's learned that his meddling isn't helping (keeping Billie Hamilton when he should have been traded for instance) and now it seems they are trying to get better players.  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with you. That is why the idea of going backwards from a 6 win season has zero appeal to me as a fan. Winning is success, looking better and still losing is well....still losing

I think we can be way better than that. This team ugh, did some good things (lol), but it is frustrating that they make the same mistakes as when Marvin starting coaching this team in 2003.  False starts, delay of games after timeouts, timeouts with 8 minutes left in the  1st and 3rd Quarters etc... Somewhere along the line Marvin's message stopped getting through and if it was getting through, it was the wrong damn message.

Hopefully, the Bengals will hit lightning in a bottle with Taylor. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 11:45 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Bengals would have to volunteer to be on Hard Knocks this year or accept a request to do so.  They were on it in 2009 and 2013 . Teams that have been on in the last 10 years can't be forced to do it.  Also teams with a first year head coach are exempt from being forced to do the show.  Personally I hope they don't volunteer or accept an offer if requested.  As interesting as it would be to get that inside look Hard Knocks provides I'd prefer with all the new changes not to add that distraction in the mix.

Yup, I was going to post the same. As much as it would be interesting to see, it breeds more bad than good. Would like to see the Steelers on there. Would be like watching The Wire.
Reply/Quote