Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So... can Trump pardon himself?
http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/a-republican-doj-memo-says-actually-no-trump-cant-pardon-himself/

In 1974, a Republican assistant AG wrote a memo stating that the President cannot pardon themselves
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-21-2017, 02:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/a-republican-doj-memo-says-actually-no-trump-cant-pardon-himself/

In 1974, a Republican assistant AG wrote a memo stating that the President cannot pardon themselves

LOL, but in effect Congress could pardon him, or, per the 25th amendment, the vp could take charge and pardon him.

We are all learning so much about government under Trump.

Had Hillary won, we'd still be ignorant of the whole pardon issue, and more regarding executive power.
(07-21-2017, 02:38 PM)hollodero Wrote: ...or Sessions, right? A new Attorney General would not be recused, hence could also fire Mueller. Or am I getting this wrong.
If I don't, it would be a viable explanation for Trump's recent attacks on him.

That would be iffy. The law on this states:
Quote:(d) The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.
Now, earlier in part 600, the code specifies acting AG in the case of AG recusal. With the recusal of Sessions, it made Rosenstein the acting AG for the Russia investigations. I am not enough of a legal eagle to tell you whether the appointment of a new a AG would automatically remove Rosenstein as acting AG for the Russia investigations, so that would be the big conundrum. 
If any of this occurred in an attempt to end the investigation and there was not an impeachment vote brought for obstruction in Congress, I would be shocked. I would like to think that even our current batch of elected officials have enough integrity to not look past that. But then again, I know the Chair of the House Judiciary and he is a spineless weasel, so yeah.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-21-2017, 04:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If any of this occurred in an attempt to end the investigation and there was not an impeachment vote brought for obstruction in Congress, I would be shocked.

Things can still shock you then?

(07-21-2017, 04:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would like to think that even our current batch of elected officials have enough integrity to not look past that.

How so?
I said it once ad I stand by it. Trump is Trump, and that's awful enough. But republicans not standing up against him is the really distasteful thing.

(07-21-2017, 04:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But then again, I know the Chair of the House Judiciary and he is a spineless weasel, so yeah.

So yeah indeed.
Can someone help me out with this fresh twitter gem?

[Image: tweet.jpg]

...I have a couple questions. First, why think of that indeed, or tweet it for that matter. Second, what does "so far" mean? Third, how can (criminal) leaks be fake news at the same time?

The complete power to pardon. What a lousy superhero trait.
(07-22-2017, 09:05 AM)hollodero Wrote: Can someone help me out with this fresh twitter gem?

[Image: tweet.jpg]

...I have a couple questions. First, why think of that indeed, or tweet it for that matter. Second, what does "so far" mean? Third, how can (criminal) leaks be fake news at the same time?

The complete power to pardon. What a lousy superhero trait.

Our POTUS watches FOX News.  They do a story.  He believes everything they say in the story (if it is good about him/bad against his enemies).

Then he tweets whatever comes to mind about it.  Usually in an attempt to "get his message out unfiltered" which then usually results in half a dozen paid employees of the US trying to explain what he REALLY meant anyway.

The good news his tweets are getting much less attention and his action are getting more.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-21-2017, 03:02 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL, but in effect Congress could pardon him, or, per the 25th amendment, the vp could take charge and pardon him.

We are all learning so much about government under Trump.

Had Hillary won, we'd still be ignorant of the whole pardon issue, and more regarding executive power.

Well its no wonder. His new admiring communication director "Mooch" said about trump, quote " He is the most knowledgeable politician in history". How's that for an endorsement? Mule face will have to make room on trumps nutsack for mooch. Hilarious
(07-22-2017, 09:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: Our POTUS watches FOX News.  They do a story.  He believes everything they say in the story (if it is good about him/bad against his enemies).

Then he tweets whatever comes to mind about it.  Usually in an attempt to "get his message out unfiltered" which then usually results in half a dozen paid employees of the US trying to explain what he REALLY meant anyway.

Yeah I know all that, but even knowing all that this tweet stands out as being particularly bizarre. Maybe it's just me. But he seems on a good streak this morning.
(07-22-2017, 09:40 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah I know all that, but even knowing all that this tweet stands out as being particularly bizarre. Maybe it's just me. But he seems on a good streak this morning.

Aye!

Don't know if it is true mental/health issues or if he's just so scattered brained.

[Image: 072217b.jpg]
[Image: 072217a.jpg]

He goes from a leak...to the Times...to his schedule...to leaks again within 90 minutes.

Then his obsession with Clinton (that he has done nothing to look into) comes back.

I'd feel sorry for him if someone around him would admit he needs help rather than just enabling his behavior.
(07-22-2017, 09:20 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Well its no wonder. His new admiring communication director "Mooch" said about trump, quote " He is the most knowledgeable politician in history".

Oh, that's why he got the job. Showing his competence.

Really, this would be sad in Azerbaijan. Let alone in the US. I'm so sad for you guys.

When will Trump write poems that get printed in schoolbooks? How comes his birthday isn't a national holiday yet. And where's the golden statue of him next to the statue of liberty, but bigger?
(07-22-2017, 09:48 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh, that's why he got the job. Showing his competence.

Really, this would be sad in Azerbaijan. Let alone in the US. I'm so sad for you guys.

When will Trump write poems that get printed in schoolbooks? How comes his birthday isn't a national holiday yet. And where's the golden statue of him next to the statue of liberty, but bigger?

[Image: CgFtGkxUIAEYZ_S.jpg]

Baghdad Bob!
(07-22-2017, 09:48 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh, that's why he got the job. Showing his competence.

More Trump bashing for no reason. He's been in office 7 months. No way you amass the gold and build the statue in under two years. Maybe a year and a half it Trump already has an 800 foot mold of himself made up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-22-2017, 09:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: More Trump bashing for no reason. He's been in office 7 months. No way you amass the gold and build the statue in under two years. Maybe a year and a half it Trump already has an 800 foot mold of himself made up.

You said this and I can totally believe he has.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-22-2017, 09:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: More Trump bashing for no reason.  He's been in office 7 months. No way you amass the gold and build the statue in under two years. Maybe a year and a half it Trump already has an 800 foot mold of himself made up.

Ecxuses, really. Don't you have foxy Fort Knoxy full of statue-ready gold? And he sure has a mold already, what else would his charity be for. Couldn't be just paintings.
(07-21-2017, 04:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Now, earlier in part 600, the code specifies acting AG in the case of AG recusal. With the recusal of Sessions, it made Rosenstein the acting AG for the Russia investigations. I am not enough of a legal eagle to tell you whether the appointment of a new a AG would automatically remove Rosenstein as acting AG for the Russia investigations, so that would be the big conundrum. 
If any of this occurred in an attempt to end the investigation and there was not an impeachment vote brought for obstruction in Congress, I would be shocked. I would like to think that even our current batch of elected officials have enough integrity to not look past that. But then again, I know the Chair of the House Judiciary and he is a spineless weasel, so yeah.

So now Trump calls Sessions "beleaguered", some leaks appear... and your Senate will be in recess soon, allowing Trump to nominate a new AG after Sessions finally reads the memo like intended. A new AG that possibly can kill this Mueller thing. Doesn't it start to look like that?

A negative answer could only be "nah, too obvious". Trump always was pretty obvious, though.
Just a question: Would anyone still on "leave Trump alone, look at Hillary..."-train jump said train if that events were to occur as described?
Frankly, I'm surprised that he asked if he could and didn't just try and do it anyway.

The Don is losing a step in his old age.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(07-24-2017, 10:40 PM)hollodero Wrote: So now Trump calls Sessions "beleaguered", some leaks appear... and your Senate will be in recess soon, allowing Trump to nominate a new AG after Sessions finally reads the memo like intended. A new AG that possibly can kill this Mueller thing. Doesn't it start to look like that?

A negative answer could only be "nah, too obvious". Trump always was pretty obvious, though.
Just a question: Would anyone still on "leave Trump alone, look at Hillary..."-train jump said train if that events were to occur as described?

I wish I could say yes. The problem is that GOP internals show that a majority of Republican voters support Trump. So GOP legislators are going to support him. It's sad because if Trump does those things and has Mueller fired, it is absolutely obstruction of justice. He has been trying to make an argument to legitimize it. The only saving grace may be that the majority of Americans as a whole want the investigation to play out. This may cause Congress to turn around and rehire Mueller.