Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So how are you dealing with the Bandwagon Fans?
(02-11-2022, 12:34 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Beat the Rams Sunday and I can almost guarantee the Thursday Night NFL opener for 2022 is Chiefs @ Bengals.

and if they don't that match-up is likely to be the opening Sunday night game.  The Reds are conveniently away the entire opening weekend

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 02:31 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I would have to think that's probably pretty accurate.  Some here have expressed that they came onboard in the Shula years/1990s, but I can't see a large percentage of people establishing their fandom during the bad times. I myself started watching them in the late '70s but didn't come on board full time until the '81 SB run.  

So, some of these new fans will stick around permanently while some will hang for a year or two and then follow the next new shiny team. You may know such a person and one day you'll say, "I thought you were a Bengals fan?" and they'll reply "Well, yeah, I was until the Jags went 14-3 and beat the Bengals in the AFCCG and went to SB 59."  Such is fandom in all sports.  

I'd say most people around Cincy became fans because it's Cincy's team...not because they were a great team. Before now, the only true greatness we saw was 1988. I'm sure some hopped on in 2005 or 2011-2015...but we've had way more dry years.

If we didn't pick up tons of new fans during those spans of losing and no playoff wins, the team probably would've had to move at some point.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 02:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd say most people around Cincy became fans because it's Cincy's team...not because they were a great team. Before now, the only true greatness we saw was 1988. I'm sure some hopped on in 2005 or 2011-2015...but we've had way more dry years.

If we didn't pick up tons of new fans during those spans of losing and no playoff wins, the team probably would've had to move at some point.

I was speaking of fans in general as opposed to fans right in town, I guess.  I don't live there so I don't think in those terms.  But there have been some lean attendance years, so I would argue there were more fans at one point and that number just slowly decreased over time until this recent upswing.  But, we'll never know for sure.  And, hopefully we continue to win and the lionshare stick around and even more will be added.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 02:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd say most people around Cincy became fans because it's Cincy's team...not because they were a great team. Before now, the only true greatness we saw was 1988. I'm sure some hopped on in 2005 or 2011-2015...but we've had way more dry years.

I think it's inherent for people to eventually end up cheering for the local team.  Winning (which results in media coverage) is the only real way to dramatically increase your fan base.  

So i would assume (with no real data to support it).....Cincy's overall fan base has grown at a rate similar to the local population.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Sports is entertainment. People can root for who ever they want, when ever they want.
No point in supporting a losing team. It's waste of time. You don't get paid for it or anything lol.

A pointless endeavor. No badge of courage handed out.
It's like people always need something to complain about. Something to feel like they're the in-crowd.

Thinking you're a better person for rooting for a loser is just odd logic
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 02:32 PM)Tony Wrote: David Dunn and Michael Westbrook?

Hope you don't have a nice car ..

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 03:07 PM)IsaacCurtis Wrote: Thinking you're a better person for rooting for a loser is just odd logic

That's something a bandwagon fan would say.  Whatever

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 03:07 PM)IsaacCurtis Wrote: Sports is entertainment. People can root for who ever they want, when ever they want.
No point in supporting a losing team. It's waste of time. You don't get paid for it or anything lol.

A pointless endeavor. No badge of courage handed out.
It's like people always need something to complain about. Something to feel like they're the in-crowd.

Thinking you're a better person for rooting for a loser is just odd logic

Ikr. Like rooting for the Bengals in the 90s.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 03:21 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Ikr. Like rooting for the Bengals in the 90s.

I was loyal and when it wasn't a blackout week, I watched amazing on field talent such as...

[Image: 3439-876830RepFr.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we lose on Sunday, you will know who the bandwagon fans are by Tuesday.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 03:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If we lose on Sunday, you will know who the bandwagon fans are by Tuesday.

Even if we lose the SB we are going to be a SB favorite if not the favorite for 2022.  The media is expecting nothing less than a dynasty and people are going to do everything they can to "get in before they win it all" even if it takes another year. 

Right now we are the perfect combination of "definitely going to win a lot" and "still a plucky underdog."  We instantly eclipsed the Bills as the feel good down and out team that is going to rule the NFL so get in while you can. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 03:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If we lose on Sunday.....

Wh.. Why.... Why you talking like that??? Why you trying to scare me or plant the seed of doubt?

Well, no matter. No power in the universe can stop a destiny whose time has come.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:08 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: From the Media Celebrities Co Workers who do not have a clue who is on the team etc............

WHO DEY!

Dealing with them? Man you've got too much time on your hands. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 03:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That's something a bandwagon fan would say.  Whatever

Mellow

Hehehe 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:33 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I finally have a reason to use my shotgun....

J/K

The true test of fandom is if you will be still flying/wearing those colors PROUDLY come hell or highwater. Or however that saying goes.

Yeah, we have went through the hard times. I welcome the bandwagon fans, especially the young ones.

But it has been tough being a Bengal fan all these years with assholes giving us crap all the time.

These bandwagon fans didn't have to go through all that. We are hardened.

That is why it was so funny seeing that so called Rams fan come on here acting like everyone loves us.

They just laughed at us before and thought we were a sad joke. No more of that, they better take notice now.

Thanks to Zac, Lou, Burrow and the rest that have helped turn this around. It was rough for awhile man.

Especially the last few rebuilding years. Happy to finally be able to enjoy it even if I got PTSD.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 04:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we have went through the hard times. I welcome the bandwagon fans, especially the young ones.

But it has been tough being a Bengal fan all these years with assholes giving us crap all the time.

These bandwagon fans didn't have to go through all that. We are hardened.

That is why it was so funny seeing that so called Rams fan come on here acting like everyone loves us.

They just laughed at us before and thought we were a sad joke. No more of that, they better take notice now.

Thanks to Zac, Lou, Burrow and the rest that have helped turn this around. It was rough for awhile man.

Especially the last few rebuilding years. Happy to finally be able to enjoy it even if I got PTSD.  Hilarious

Being a Bengals fan isn't for the faint of heart.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 02:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If yall want to call that some buzzword like "gatekeeping", so be it.

Ironically, “buzzword” has become one of the bigger buzzwords. People really only use it when try to discredit and idea or opinion at this point.

Protecting the fan base from intruders, or those considered less worthy of being fans is textbook gatekeeping. It happens in every type of fandom…sports, music, movies, and pretty much every hobby that exists. We’re all guilty of it to some degree.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 05:25 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Ironically, “buzzword” has become one of the bigger buzzwords. People really only use it when try to discredit and idea or opinion at this point.

Protecting the fan base from intruders, or those considered less worthy of being fans is textbook gatekeeping. It happens in every type of fandom…sports, music, movies, and pretty much every hobby that exists. We’re all guilty of it to some degree.

NO GIRLS ALLOWED! WE ARE THE HE MAN WOMAN HATERS!!! Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:03 PM)Interceptor Wrote: That's right - chicks dig scars!

I thought chicks dug the long ball lol

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don’t know how I’d identify a bandwagon fan, and I can’t believe there are really all that many. Maybe some Cincy people coming out of their shell, but people around the country becoming full time fans?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote