Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how do we think they should approach the offseason?
Despite the disappointing end to the season, the team has the resources (in terms of cap money and picks) to do a lot of needed things.

BUT

It is important to get the priorities straight because some of the needs are going to be expensive and they probably don't have the resources to do everything.

So my order of importance right now is:

1) Fix the interior DL room. This is going to be costly because we probably need a major Free Agent here AND a high pick. This is whether we resign Reader and he fully recovers or not. Trey can't be the only source of pressure up front and ideally you want the other source to be on the inside. Fix this and you see an immediate uptick on the defense.

2) Get a savvy veteran Free Safety.

3) Resign Tanner Hudson so that there is flexibility in the draft, especially as they NEED a blue chip DT and this is not a deep TE draft.

4) If both Tee and Boyd leave a veteran good possession WR is a need also.

Obviously the Tee situation has to be resolved early. The problem is his agent is notoriously hard to work with (not just with us either) and will want terms the team cannot perform if they are keeping Chase. So this may be a tag and trade (especially as draft capital is needed).

I was just thinking about player moves and not the higher level things like potential evolving of the scheme on both sides of the ball to fit the player skillsets better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We need to tag and trade Tee. If the Chiefs are going to get Patrick Mahones a great target, then we need the highest compensation for him now, not later.

From there we can invest the the D-line and end positions. Go get Big Fat Pauly to replace Pollack, and draft and develop on the O-line side.

Resign Boyd and Reader. Draft BPA, even if that means secondary. The young guys showed almost noting to give people confidence in them.
Reply/Quote
It kind of feels like we have a lot of needs.

-Decision needed on Jonah. If they let him go, they need a starting T.
-WR - Boyd and Tee free agents. Got to replace if you let them go.
-DLine - Reader a free agent. Need more pass rush there.
-TE
-S - Dax was underwhelming. Battle looked good.
-CB - Need upgrades. Chide a free agent.
-RB - Need to groom a replacement for Mixon at some point.
-Punter

That's off the top of my head.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:33 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: We need to tag and trade Tee. If the Chiefs are going to get Patrick Mahones a great target, then we need the highest compensation for him now, not later.

From there we can invest the the D-line and end positions. Go get Big Fat Pauly to replace Pollack, and draft and develop on the O-line side.

Resign Boyd and Reader. Draft BPA, even if that means secondary. The young guys showed almost noting to give people confidence in them.

None of us will miss Pollack if he is replaced. 

Boyd had his worst season ever this season, I'd pass on that resigning unless he was dirt cheap.  

DJ is my favorite, he and my son are good friends.  But that quad injury is a bad one, he likely wont be ready for next season, not sure a contract could even be discussed.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals need to solve the secondary communication issues. CTB and Lou mentioned the issues on the KC TD for Rice. Logan Wilson has also mentioned that the LBs usually get calls from the safeties as to which way to roll coverages and they've had very little of it this year, which might explain why he and Pratt have looked off this year. Mike Hilton mentioned that he was trying to do much to make up for the communication issues earlier this season before he he decided to hunker down and just worry about his spot. Again, that explains why Hilton looked better as the season went on.

The interior DL needs to be addressed. Our best DT is a free agent and coming off another bad injury. BJ Hill is okay, but he definitely needs someone to rotate with like he did with Larry O. Zac Carter hasn't shown much since he got here.

I expect Tanner Hudson to be brought back and possibly be our #1 TE next season. I'm sure the team will try to bring back Sample, but I could see some team actually giving him a bigger deal than we're expecting. I'm hoping the team will look for another TE in free agency and find someone in the draft. Boyd is leaving so an athletic TE could come in and become a big target for Burrow.

I expect Tee to be tagged. The big story will be people predicting him to be traded. I think Duke keeps him for the season and Tee walks next season. I'd like another possession receiver in free agency or the draft. Charlie Jones didn't show much in terms of being our future slot WR.

I expect Jonah to walk away. RT will most likely be a draft target knowing this team. 

No clue on RB. I believe Mixon is once again speculated to be cut, but who knows? As far as I'm concerned, we have our change of pace RB in Brown. After that, nothing spectacular.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
DJ may be the answer at CB next year. It's just his last name might not be Turner
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 01:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: DJ may be the answer at CB next year. It's just his last name might not be Turner

Is he expected to be ready by TC?

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is he expected to be ready by TC?

Who knows these days? 

Of course we could draft DJ James
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is he expected to be ready by TC?

It took Chido a little over a year to feel comfortable. Considering Ivey got injured in mid December, I expect he'll start the season on PUP at minimum, and possibly sit out the entire year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It kind of feels like we have a lot of needs.

-TE
-Punter

Pretty close.
Lots of stuff depends on what they do with Tee. I think they tag and keep him. Based on that premise
Free Agency
DT
Draft
1 RT
2 Best Available RB,WR,TE
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It kind of feels like we have a lot of needs.

-TE
-Punter

Pretty close.
Lots of stuff depends on what they do with Tee. I think they tag and keep him. Based on that premise
Free Agency
DT
Draft
1 RT
2 Best Available RB,WR,TE
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Apple got an RZ INT last night…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to post a comprehensive off season plan, but want to offer my thoughts about WR.

- Chase is eventually going to be the guy and get the massive contract.
- Tip of the cap to Tyler Boyd, but it's time to part ways unless he signs an extremely team-friendly deal.
- I hope the coaching staff has a good understanding about whether or not Charlie Jones can be a significant player at WR and not just as a PR.
- Tag Tee or let him walk? Tough call. I'd say tag him and then use the 1st round pick on DL or OL and not WR.
Reply/Quote
We have a lot of "should do" threads. We need a "will do" thread.

What they "will do".

Tag Tee and call him our big offseason acquisition. There will be no other moves. Expect draft and getting healthy to be the answer.

Only real hope would be that Pollack is relieved of duty. Addition by subtraction per se.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
1) Focus on the trenches in the draft. Not only do the Bengals need a NT, but they need an heir/rotational guy for Hill's spot.
2) RT becomes a huge need if Jonah walks. Try to get a guy in FA who is at least serviceable but also look to draft a guy. How FA is handled determines how early to try to get a RT, IMO.
3) Gotta look for a (long-term) WR unless Higgins is signed to a multi-year deal.
4) Re-sign Hudson and Sample, and then draft a TE. Or go crazy and try to sign someone like Dalton Schultz.
5) Get a new punter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 11:19 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) Focus on the trenches in the draft. Not only do the Bengals need a NT, but they need an heir/rotational guy for Hill's spot.
2) RT becomes a huge need if Jonah walks. Try to get a guy in FA who is at least serviceable but also look to draft a guy. How FA is handled determines how early to try to get a RT, IMO.
3) Gotta look for a (long-term) WR unless Higgins is signed to a multi-year deal.
4) Re-sign Hudson and Sample, and then draft a TE. Or go crazy and try to sign someone like Dalton Schultz.
5) Get a new punter.

all good posts and if I may add: hopefully they poach some scouts from Browns or Ravens who actually know how to evaluate trench talent.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:33 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: We need to tag and trade Tee. If the Chiefs are going to get Patrick Mahones a great target, then we need the highest compensation for him now, not later.

Yeah, let Mahomes have Higgins..... Brilliant!!!!
Reply/Quote
I don't think the Bengals front office has the savvy or willingness to tag and trade Tee. They won't be comfortable or willing enough to do it. This is going to be one of those "stuck in their ways" types of things.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 11:40 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't think the Bengals front office has the savvy or willingness to tag and trade Tee. They won't be comfortable or willing enough to do it. This is going to be one of those "stuck in their ways" types of things.

I agree that there isn't going to be a unique or creative move. They'll tag him and inform the public they hope to resign him.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 11:42 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I agree that there isn't going to be a unique or creative move. They'll tag him and inform the public they hope to resign him.

trade for Josh Allen Jags Edge?
Reply/Quote