Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how do we think they should approach the offseason?
(01-17-2024, 11:59 AM)jj22 Wrote: Ok, well look at the Eagles who were just in the SB and won one awhile back. Their HC is currently fighting for his job in a meeting with Ownership today.

The point. It isn't asking much to give another Oline coach a shot. Burrow career is already on shaky grounds. Why not recognize the urgency to figure out whatever it is that needs to be done to fix the Oline.

People are going to hate to hear this but Burrow's career is likely going to be over (if it isn't already with the wrist injury) after another year behind Pollacks line. The urgency is there.

Yep

I'm a firm believer in the fact that although we've had many contributing problems, in the trenches is a GIANT part of where our true issues have been. Our Dline has disappeared on the pass rush in many games, and we've been gashed from teams running the ball.

On the flip side our pass pro is not up to par, at all, in many games and we're the worst at running the ball in the entire NFL. 

I doubt Pollack is going anywhere but it wouldn't bother me much if he did. We've got to fix our team up front on both sides of the ball. At whatever the cost.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tee + trenches is basically the story of our off-season.
Throw TE in as well.

We basically need, in my view:

1) 3 players at DT/NT. A starting quality nose/run stuffer (that is Reader), someone who can rush the passer from inside (FA DT or day 2 draft pick), and another NT type who is a Tufele/Tupou upgrade to hold the fort until DJ is healthy. Maybe Hill could hold up?

2) 2 starting quality WRs. One will be Tee, the other would be a draft pick, round 2 or 3. Boyd on the cheap would be OK, but I'd still want another more explosive guy, probably at Irwin's expense.

3) Starting RT. Most likely in Rd1.

4) Starting TE.
5) CB4.
-------------

That is eight guys. 6 after you pencil in Tee & Reader. Figure 3 in Rds 1-3. Maybe CB4 or the NT "hold the fort" guy can wait until Day 3 of the draft. Still, we need to fill at least 1 more hole in FA. Probably 2-3, but then the quality of player is lower (two $10 mil guys vs 1 $20 mil guy vs 3 $7 mil guys, vs a 1 $10 and 2 $5s, etc).

We figure to have $20 mil or so in FA to plug more of those holes. Barring getting guys to restructure deals (which I would try to do, aggressively).
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 02:19 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tee + trenches is basically the story of our off-season.
Throw TE in as well.

We basically need, in my view:

1) 3 players at DT/NT. A starting quality nose/run stuffer (that is Reader), someone who can rush the passer from inside (FA DT or day 2 draft pick), and another NT type who is a Tufele/Tupou upgrade to hold the fort until DJ is healthy. Maybe Hill could hold up?

2) 2 starting quality WRs. One will be Tee, the other would be a draft pick, round 2 or 3. Boyd on the cheap would be OK, but I'd still want another more explosive guy, probably at Irwin's expense.

3) Starting RT. Most likely in Rd1.

4) Starting TE.
5) CB4.
-------------

That is eight guys. 6 after you pencil in Tee & Reader. Figure 3 in Rds 1-3. Maybe CB4 or the NT "hold the fort" guy can wait until Day 3 of the draft. Still, we need to fill at least 1 more hole in FA. Probably 2-3, but then the quality of player is lower (two $10 mil guys vs 1 $20 mil guy vs 3 $7 mil guys, vs a 1 $10 and 2 $5s, etc).

We figure to have $20 mil or so in FA to plug more of those holes. Barring getting guys to restructure deals (which I would try to do, aggressively).

This is all good.  However. I do not believe they would or should restructure aggressively, that only sends more cap restrictions down the road and down that road will be huge cap hits from Burrow and Chase, they will not likely want to add to that burden.

Reply/Quote
Unrestricted Free Agents (Can sign with anyone/anywhere unless we TAG)

Tee Higgins- Transition Tag
DJ Reader- 2YR/$20MIL (with incentives)
Tyler Boyd- Wish Good Luck elsewhere.
Trenton Irwin- Retain on the Cheap
Chidobe Awuzie- I REALLY don't know about this one.
Jonah Williams- Good Luck at LT elsewhere
Markus Bailey- Who Cares
Akeem Davis-Gaither- Who Cares
Irv Smith Jr.- Bye
Josh Tupou- Bye
Max Scharping- Bye
Drew Sample- Try to keep on the cheap
Trayveon Williams- Who cares
AJ McCarron- If he wants to stay on the cheap
Joe Bachie- Good luck elsewhere
Cody Ford- Re-sign

Restricted Free Agents (Can place Draft Round Tender)

Tanner Hudson- No Tender
Mitchell Wilcox- No Tender

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (Can sign for League Minimum)

Jake Browning- Sign (see if there's a market)
Cal Adomitis- Sign

FAs:
Isaiah Wynn (OL)
Adam Trautman (TE)
Raekwon Davis (NT)
Kenneth Murray (LB)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unrestricted Free Agents (Can sign with anyone/anywhere unless we TAG)

Tee Higgins- Transition Tag
DJ Reader- 2YR/$20MIL (with incentives)
Tyler Boyd- Wish Good Luck elsewhere.
Trenton Irwin- Retain on the Cheap
Chidobe Awuzie- I REALLY don't know about this one.
Jonah Williams- Good Luck at LT elsewhere
Markus Bailey- Who Cares
Akeem Davis-Gaither- Who Cares
Irv Smith Jr.- Bye
Josh Tupou- Bye
Max Scharping- Bye
Drew Sample- Try to keep on the cheap
Trayveon Williams- Who cares
AJ McCarron- If he wants to stay on the cheap
Joe Bachie- Good luck elsewhere
Cody Ford- Re-sign

Restricted Free Agents (Can place Draft Round Tender)

Tanner Hudson- No Tender
Mitchell Wilcox- No Tender

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (Can sign for League Minimum)

Jake Browning- Sign (see if there's a market)
Cal Adomitis- Sign

FAs:
Isaiah Wynn (OL)
Adam Trautman (TE)
Raekwon Davis (NT)
Kenneth Murray (LB)

You saw enough of Cody Ford to bring him back? I didn't, I did on the other hand see enough of Hudson to bring him back on the cheap.

Everything else I am down with even though I still like ADG.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You saw enough of Cody Ford to bring him back? I didn't, I did on the other hand see enough of Hudson to bring him back on the cheap.

I didn't see much drop off when Ford had to fill in, plus they used him a bunch in heavy packages as the extra lineman. Resigning him takes OG/Swing tackle off the needs-list. If they can get him cheap, go for it!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:50 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I didn't see much drop off when Ford had to fill in, plus they used him a bunch in heavy packages as the extra lineman. Resigning him takes OG/Swing tackle off the needs-list. If they can get him cheap, go for it!

True, didn't see fall off, he just didn't play good from what I saw, I am not against bringing Ford back just was interested in what Bfine 
saw to bring him back and not bring back a player like Tanner Hudson who was by far the best pass catching TE for us this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, didn't see fall off, he just didn't play good from what I saw, I am not against bringing Ford back just was interested in what Bfine 
saw to bring him back and not bring back a player like Tanner Hudson who was by far the best pass catching TE for us this year.
Tanner would make a good "other TE" but I want us to upgrade at TE1 this off season. That would bump him and Sample down the totem pole. Sample's league-leading blocking makes it hard for me to move on from him or scarcely play him. Plus he made some nice pays this year, the YAC TD, some key move-the-chains catches where he didn't stumble over his own cleats until AFTER the first down, etc. I guess Tanner COULD still get meaningful snaps as a guy who comes in off the bench or we see a lot of goal to go situations where we use heavy formations and he's one of 3TE.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:24 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Tanner would make a good "other TE" but I want us to upgrade at TE1 this off season. That would bump him and Sample down the totem pole. Sample's league-leading blocking makes it hard for me to move on from him or scarcely play him. Plus he made some nice pays this year, the YAC TD, some key move-the-chains catches where he didn't stumble over his own cleats until AFTER the first down, etc. I guess Tanner COULD still get meaningful snaps as a guy who comes in off the bench or we see a lot of goal to go situations where we use heavy formations and he's one of 3TE.

Hey man, all for Brock Bowers if he falls to 18. Completely agree on Sample, also thought he did very well in pass protection in the backfield.

Hudson is older, he shouldn't cost much and if the TE1 goes down we have a good insurance policy in Hudson that knows how to get open in 
Zone coverage.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You saw enough of Cody Ford to bring him back? I didn't, I did on the other hand see enough of Hudson to bring him back on the cheap.

I saw more out of him than Sharpening and apparently JC is below both of them. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 06:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I saw more out of him than Sharpening and apparently JC is below both of them. 

Agree on that, Scharping and Carman can go try somewhere else for all I care.

They were getting beat by the Browns backups badly from what I saw. Would have to watch that again to know for sure but don't want to.
Reply/Quote