Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how do you think we need to fix the defense this offseason?
After hearing Logan Wilson talking about how the LBers were hampered because they could not rely on the secondary being correctly positioned and also the constant flood of explosive plays we allowed in the passing game, I have to think the coaches will have fixing the communication problems as a high priority. Since it seems these issues arose at least partly from losing both Bates AND Bell because one of them apparently was making alignment calls based on what they were seeing, that function needs to be replaced with a better option. I see two options:

1) Proceed on the assumption that Battle in his development will next season have the proper recognition skills to take on the role and be effective at it. This may not be a bad thing as Battle in college was noted for good processing skills. But it is a risk of course.

2) Add a savvy veteran Safety or CB to fill this role. That would REALLY rest on who will be out there.

Obviously the other priority area is the Interior Defensive Line. We need a blue chip DT from Free Agency (and I mean a REAL blue chip not just someone who flashed a little) and probably need to double down on DT in the draft also. This can both really help our rush defense and our pass rush (by providing a source of consistent pass rush not named Trey).

What do you think? If we signed a free agent DT (Jones or other such) AND went DT in Round One would you say it is good or overkill (for example)?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
First need need a killer I miss the hits Bell put in people, 2nd we need a replacement for reader if he isn’t healthy. And 3rd. We need a new DC. Lou gets a lot of hype, but his defenses really haven’t been that great. He’s made a few good adjustments, and we have Hendrickson. But outside of that. They’ve been below average
Reply/Quote
Watching Noah Brown catch 15 passes 20 yards downfield with nobody around him should have been a red flag that communication was a problem.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Not sure but I'd like to see the Bengals make an All-In move... even more so if they keep Tee Higgins.

Lots of teams have caught up and if the Bengals want to win a SB in the Joe Burrow era they can't be afraid to move the queen in striking position.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
We need more Athlectisim on all three levels of defense. Look at what the top defenses have in this league speed on all three levels!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 12:00 AM)J24 Wrote: We need more Athlectisim on all three levels of defense. Look at what the top defenses have in this league speed on all three levels!

We have one of the fastest secondaries in the league.  Battle brings it down some.  But you are correct we were a very slow team overall this season.

Reply/Quote
They could start off by looking at what attracted them to Nick Scott and then immediately make sure they don't do that again.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
IMPROVE THE PASS RUSH

We were 31st in pass rush last season, and even if you disagree with that stat, the best stats have us middle-of-the-league in pass rush.

Nothing matters if we can't get to the quarterback because even the best DBs can't guard a receiver for too long.

I think that's especially important since, if we can protect Burrow, we'll put up a lot of points and teams will have to pass to keep up.
Reply/Quote
How to fix the defense? Secure a strong NT, allow all of the young players in the secondary to continue developing chemistry playing together, don't "miss" on any draft picks.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Actually, the front 4 is good at containing when going against a mobile QB, but makes the pass rush slow. I think the problem is the scheme used by the guys behind them. The zone coverage is vanilla and do a horrible job of disguising it. And when going man-2-man, other teams are able to get separation. How come we have problems getting that same separation with our own WRs?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 01:18 AM)casear2727 Wrote: We have one of the fastest secondaries in the league. 

This was a point of emphasis Lou made after they drafted Turner. They wanted to continue to be a team that can play faster. Let's hope the coaches and talent elevates so the secondary having speed isn't viewed as any better than John Ross 2.0.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 09:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How to fix the defense?  Secure a strong NT, allow all of the young players in the secondary to continue developing chemistry playing together, don't "miss" on any draft picks.

Not missing on draft picks seems crucial now that Burrow is getting paid. We know such a statement is a common perspective held by fans: Win while your star QB is on his rookie deal because when he gets paid the roster becomes weaker.

If such a view is accurate then Duke cannot afford to miss on drafting talent that can contribute to winning football.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2024, 05:38 PM)Joelist Wrote: After hearing Logan Wilson talking about how the LBers were hampered because they could not rely on the secondary being correctly positioned and also the constant flood of explosive plays we allowed in the passing game, I have to think the coaches will have fixing the communication problems as a high priority. Since it seems these issues arose at least partly from losing both Bates AND Bell because one of them apparently was making alignment calls based on what they were seeing, that function needs to be replaced with a better option. I see two options:

1) Proceed on the assumption that Battle in his development will next season have the proper recognition skills to take on the role and be effective at it. This may not be a bad thing as Battle in college was noted for good processing skills. But it is a risk of course.

2) Add a savvy veteran Safety or CB to fill this role. That would REALLY rest on who will be out there.

Obviously the other priority area is the Interior Defensive Line. We need a blue chip DT from Free Agency (and I mean a REAL blue chip not just someone who flashed a little) and probably need to double down on DT in the draft also. This can both really help our rush defense and our pass rush (by providing a source of consistent pass rush not named Trey).

What do you think? If we signed a free agent DT (Jones or other such) AND went DT in Round One would you say it is good or overkill (for example)?

When did Logan say that?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 11:05 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: When did Logan say that?

This article has CTB on record talking about communication issues that need to improve: https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-cam-taylor-britt-stresses-improved-communication-in-secondary/

I couldn't find anything written about Wilson, but I think I recall some interviews where he and Pratt mentioned what CTB does in the article about communication being "key" and working on it in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 11:56 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This article has CTB on record talking about communication issues that need to improve: https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-cam-taylor-britt-stresses-improved-communication-in-secondary/

I couldn't find anything written about Wilson, but I think I recall some interviews where he and Pratt mentioned what CTB does in the article about communication being "key" and working on it in the offseason.

I’m not a buyer that Logan or Pratt said their play was hampered by the secondary. I read a lot and listen to a lot of videos and podcasts. Now he might have said we had communication problems on defense and that needs to improve but I doubt he said their play was hampered.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 12:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not a buyer that Logan or Pratt said their play was hampered by the secondary. I read a lot and listen to a lot of videos and podcasts. Now he might have said we had communication problems on defense and that needs to improve but I doubt he said their play was hampered.

Agreed, I doubt he said anything that would lead anyone to assume he was knocking a specific player(s). If he made any critical comments it was about the players as a collective unit, himself included.

I do like that CTB is saying he wants the secondary to have some offseason alone time to grow and improve as a unit with specific intent to talk about on field communication. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 12:45 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Agreed, I doubt he said anything that would lead anyone to assume he was knocking a specific player(s). If he made any critical comments it was about the players as a collective unit, himself included.

I do like that CTB is saying he wants the secondary to have some offseason alone time to grow and improve as a unit with specific intent to talk about on field communication. 

Watching KC & Buff which they are 6-3 against steal the limelight has to have an impact on every person in the organization.

I’m not upset but I hope the following happens. They fix the run game. Get a better start to the season. Joe & the offensive staff addresses Joe’s preferences vs what’s good for the offense. I’m confident they address the roster needs in FA & the draft. That’s another discussion. I’m convinced that the staff has acquiesced to Joe too much. I’m certainly not condemning him just that they’ve morphed away from the offense Zac has hatched from his journey of Bill Callahan, Mike Sherman, Jerry Philbin , and Sean McVay. He’s coached with Matt LeFleur, Ben Johnson. Dan Campbell, and knows what he wants to do.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 01:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Watching KC & Buff which they are 6-3 against steal the limelight has to have an impact on every person in the organization.

I’m not upset but I hope the following happens. They fix the run game. Get a better start to the season. Joe & the offensive staff addresses Joe’s preferences vs what’s good for the offense. I’m confident they address the roster needs in FA & the draft. That’s another discussion. I’m convinced that the staff has acquiesced to Joe too much. I’m certainly not condemning him just that they’ve morphed away from the offense Zac has hatched from his journey of Bill Callahan, Mike Sherman, Jerry Philbin , and Sean McVay. He’s coached with Matt LeFleur, Ben Johnson. Dan Campbell, and knows what he wants to do.

The comment I bolded is one part I find intriguing if a new offensive coordinator takes over for Callahan, who appears to have his second interview with the Titans today.

Perhaps it facilitates new thinking between Burrow and the new OC for how to approach the offensive scheme and play calling. I would hope a new OC brings new perspectives for both the coaching and the franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 01:28 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The comment I bolded is one part I find intriguing if a new offensive coordinator takes over for Callahan, who appears to have his second interview with the Titans today.

Perhaps it facilitates new thinking between Burrow and the new OC for how to approach the offensive scheme and play calling. I would hope a new OC brings new perspectives for both the coaching and the franchise QB.

I’m pretty sure Dan Pitcher is/has been waiting on Brian to leave. He knows he’s the absolute heir apparent. There are actually coaches out there who love Cincinnati, the head coach, the GM, and the owners. And family doesn’t want to leave.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2024, 01:28 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The comment I bolded is one part I find intriguing if a new offensive coordinator takes over for Callahan, who appears to have his second interview with the Titans today.

Yup

I'm hoping Joe Burrow gets it through his hard head he doesn't have to have his Superman cape on for every play. Let the run game work to your benefit.

As for the defense. Build the trench and the rest will get much better.
Reply/Quote