Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, how much for AJ Green
In the light of the Thomas and Bryant contracts, do you think Green also deserves or should get 70 million for five years now?

- I'd say yes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
70/5 is the going rate. So yeah that's what he should get.
Reply/Quote
I'm comfortable with 5 years, 70 million.

I was just afraid that Green might approach Megatron money (7 years, 113 million), but thanks to Dez and DT, it looks like we're safe there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 04:19 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: 70/5 is the going rate. So yeah that's what he should get.

Here is the difference, not sure the Bengals will be willing to give him the 35ish million guaranteed. In order to offset that they may have to go to the higher side or offer some other incentive. That is the going rate with that much of it guaranteed. Wonder if they settle by going a shorter term deal, maybe a 4 year deal with a bit less guaranteed but puts him in position to go for another contract in his prime.
Reply/Quote
Offer him 30k a year, if he wants more then he's in it for the money and not the love of the game and we don't need people like that.

*please don't take this seriously*
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 04:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Offer him 30k a year, if he wants more then he's in it for the money and not the love of the game and we don't need people like that.

Too late
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 04:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Offer him 30k a year, if he wants more then he's in it for the money and not the love of the game and we don't need people like that.

Damn, it man! He has a family, I think! Heck, Josh Smith is having to play for ONLY 6.9 million for the Clippers this season! How is he supposed to put food on the table? They need those millions!

*sarcasm*
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 04:53 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Too late

In that case I'll be serious about it.  I'm super serious.  Only hire guys who will play for the bare minimum and then you KNOW they are there to play football, not make commercials and dive into swimming pools full of money (as rich people do, I assume).

Step 2?  Super Bowled
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 05:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In that case I'll be serious about it.  I'm super serious.  Only hire guys who will play for the bare minimum and then you KNOW they are there to play football, not make commercials and dive into swimming pools full of money (as rich people do, I assume).

Step 2?  Super Bowled

And with the money saved, fans from overseas should get paid flight, hotel and ticket for the games.
And $200 extra. This number is so low so that everyone knows I'm really there to see football.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 04:17 PM)hollodero Wrote: In the light of the Thomas and Bryant contracts, do you think Green also deserves or should get 70 million for five years now?

- I'd say yes.

That's $14M a year. I say yes, also.

Since Green still has a year left on his current contract, you can bring some of that 70M into this year and possibly lower his salary cap hit next year. Not sure if that's possible, but that's what I'd try to get done. Could help make room to resign Marvin Jones and other free agents at the end of this season.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 05:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That's $14M a year. I say yes, also.

Since Green still has a year left on his current contract, you can bring some of that 70M into this year and possibly lower his salary cap hit next year. Not sure if that's possible, but that's what I'd try to get done. Could help make room to resign Marvin Jones and other free agents at the end of this season.

I think it is the one bargaining chip the Bengals have right now. He is slated to be paid 10 or close to 11 million in 2015.

Pay him a 20 million signing bonus with spread over 5 year cap to sign now ($4.0 cap hit per year each year)
2015 - 9 million - salary and bonuses all guaranteed (we have the cap space in 2015 to add to it)
2016 - 6 million - salary and bonuses all guaranteed
2017 - 6 million -  salary and bonuses only 2 million guaranteed
2018 - 14 million - salary and bonuses no guarantees
2019 - 15 million - salary and bonuses and no guarantees

This is how I would write it
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'd say get it done now at 14 a year because, after AJ has a big year and we win a playoff game this year, he'll command a lot more.

He's also not about the dollars and wouldn't get mad or hold out, but why not just take care of him now to let him know that we appreciate him and take care of our stars?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 05:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd say get it done now at 14 a year because, after AJ has a big year and we win a playoff game this year, he'll command a lot more.

He's also not about the dollars and wouldn't get mad or hold out, but why not just take care of him now to let him know that we appreciate him and take care of our stars?

I'd guess the guys balancing the contract numbers are a little more cool-headed than that.
And I'd say there's no need to show special appreciation by taking a bigger cap hit than necessary. AJ Green will know quite well by now that he's appreciated.  But there are other players who want to be "taken care of", too. The richer one gets...

...but I'd say 5 years/70 million is reasonable here. If structured wisely.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 06:10 PM)hollodero Wrote: I'd guess the guys balancing the contract numbers are a little more cool-headed than that.
And I'd say there's no need to show special appreciation by taking a bigger cap hit than necessary. AJ Green will know quite well by now that he's appreciated.  But there are other players who want to be "taken care of", too. The richer one gets...

...but I'd say 5 years/70 million is reasonable here. If structured wisely.

I'm with you on that.  I would want to make sure the fine print was worded correctly.
Reply/Quote