Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, realistically speaking...
You have to think that Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander will address the offensive line woes in some fashion. I simply don't know how they could watch tape from this year and not do so. Based on past history, what do you expect them to do, realistically?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:47 PM)Big Boss Wrote: You have to think that Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander will address the offensive line woes in some fashion.  I simply don't know how they could watch tape from this year and not do so.  Based on past history, what do you expect them to do, realistically?

Realistically? Not a damn thing.  They're both too damn stubborn to do the right thing and admit their mistakes.  Also, Piano Man should have been fired in the locker room after the Ravens game anyway.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They made their move last year with preemptive strike in draft that blew up in our face.

Would think the plan would be to grab a proven commodity FA and draft a couple more.

But we all know not to hold breath on that FA being brought in though.

At least one that is a proven commodity.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Realistically? Not a damn thing.  They're both too damn stubborn to do the right thing and admit their mistakes.  Also, Piano Man should have been fired in the locker room after the Ravens game anyway.

Agree and replacing PA should be the first step. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Realistically? Not a damn thing.  They're both too damn stubborn to do the right thing and admit their mistakes.  Also, Piano Man should have been fired in the locker room after the Ravens game anyway.

This is definately realistic.

Stubborn bastids, threw the season down the toilet and will never admit they are wrong. Cannot wait till they are both gone. :paul:

Honestly i expect them to not draft a Center until the late rounds so we have no competition there and for them to continue
to make excuses for Ogbuehi being injured and it being pretty much his rookie year. Fisher played decent blah, blah, blah.
Reply/Quote

This.  At the very most, PA will assure MB all the errors will be corrected this year, stating that the big issue was the 'unusually high' number of sacks, and that will be corrected with proper technique and personnel changes!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
There will be little to no change. We all know how the Bengals operate by now. Steady as she goes. A 6-9-1 seasons gets treated exactly the same as a 12-4 season. As if everything is just fine.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Realistically nothing will change. But that makes for a long offseason. Mike and Marvin believe coaches will make a 2nd year jump even thought these coaches have been around for 20+ years. You can't make these lame talking points up.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:47 PM)Big Boss Wrote: You have to think that Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander will address the offensive line woes in some fashion. I simply don't know how they could watch tape from this year and not do so. Based on past history, what do you expect them to do, realistically?

Realistically?

Draft a guard in the 4th or 5th round.
Draft a center in the 7th.
Try to re-sign Zietler to a team friendly contract.
Wait for a fluff piece from Hobson proclaiming the greatness of the UDFA practice squad guard from Texas if Zietler leaves in FA.
Another fluff piece at the start of trainers my camp that proclaims all the progress Bodine has made over the offseason, including snapping and combatting a bull rush.
And another year of Billy Joel.....err Alexander as line coach.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:47 PM)Big Boss Wrote: You have to think that Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander will address the offensive line woes in some fashion.  I simply don't know how they could watch tape from this year and not do so.  Based on past history, what do you expect them to do, realistically?
I dont know how i feel about them drafting OL early given the 2015 draft of OL in rd 1 and 2 and they both look like scrubs.I dont feel as strong about their draft abilities as of late
Reply/Quote

I don't expect anything drastic.  We could realistically lose Big Z and be even worse.  I expect them to sign Whit and go OLine in later rounds for depth.  We already know they don't think they have a problem at C.

PA will promise he'll have one of the young T's ready to play RT.  And that could end up like Goering promising Hitler he could take out Britain from the air.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
They'll draft a mid-round OT/OG and throw him into the RG battle.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

It's hard to say. There have been seasons when we had deficiencies at Guard and Center and just went into the next season with the same player in there.

When they did try to address it, they'd bring in a 3rd tier free agent to compete for the job.
Reply/Quote
They are not going to be active in free agency, we all know that. So we are left with the draft. If they lose Whitworth and Zeitler (I don't think there is any way they keep both), then you are looking at four holes that need filled. And that is just on the offensive line... that says nothing about defensive line, linebacker, possibly cornerback (Dre may be gone and Pacman could, at the very least, be looking at a prolonged suspension).

Based on this, you're looking at 2-3 drafts before you begin to take care of all the needs. And you better hope you hit gold with all the top picks... I think the 2015 draft is going to set this franchise back significantly.
Reply/Quote
Marv back

Alexander back

Bodine back

Z and possibly Whit gone

No A level free agents will be signed

O line will be no better than this year or more likely it will be worse.

We will lose both games to the Steelers

There is no chance that this team will compete for Super Bowl or get past first round of playoffs ( assuming they make playoffs which I think is very unlikely)
Reply/Quote
I expect them to do this:

Reply/Quote
I expect them to go after a tackle in the draft, I don't think they'll worry about center though.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 05:50 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: They are not going to be active in free agency, we all know that.  So we are left with the draft.  If they lose Whitworth and Zeitler (I don't think there is any way they keep both), then you are looking at four holes that need filled.  And that is just on the offensive line... that says nothing about defensive line, linebacker, possibly cornerback (Dre may be gone and Pacman could, at the very least, be looking at a prolonged suspension).

Based on this, you're looking at 2-3 drafts before you begin to take care of all the needs.  And you better hope you hit gold with all the top picks... I think the 2015 draft is going to set this franchise back significantly.

Very realistic assessment.

Plus a guy like MJ is coming up on his 9th year. Dunlap on his 8th. Before the offensive line is fixed...we're going to have other needs to fill.
Reply/Quote
I expect Marvin to say they need to do better. I expect Paul Alexander to add Ogbuehi's name with Bodine's on the unfair witch hunt list.  I expect the front office to be outbid for Kevin Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 03:42 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Realistically?

Draft a guard in the 4th or 5th round.
Draft a center in the 7th.
Try to re-sign Zietler to a team friendly contract.
Wait for a fluff piece from Hobson proclaiming the greatness of the UDFA practice squad guard from Texas if Zietler leaves in FA.
Another fluff piece at the start of trainers my camp that proclaims all the progress Bodine has made over the offseason, including snapping and combatting a bull rush.
And another year of Billy Joel.....err Alexander as line coach.

Winner
Reply/Quote