Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, the journey begins!
Alright, as some of you already know, in addition to being your favorite Bengals Board Moderator, I also compete in the Masters Division of the sport of Strongman. As you can imagine, just like all the other "old dudes" in strength competition, I've suffered from the same course of injuries, hormone drops and other general setbacks. But alas, just like all of the other hard headed individuals competing at my age, I keep pushing onward.

So, with all of that said, ya boy SunsetBengal is going to make a run at the United States Strongman National Championship in the Heavyweight Masters 50+ division, to be held at the Columbus Convention Center (the same one as "The Arnold") on June 8th of 2019. This event will have special meaning to me, not just because I'll be returning to my home State to compete in front of family, friends, and former Semi-Pro Football teammates, but because it will signify that despite suffering two herniated discs in my prime, I can still compete at a high level.

So, what are you going to have to do, Sunset? Ok, I'll explain it all, right here.

Event 1 12" Steel log Clean and Press away for reps at 220#

When I first saw this event released, my heart melted. Overhead is my best event, and 220# is a weight that I play with in training, literally every week. I fully expect to win this event, as I'm looking to get 15+ repetitions in my 60 second time allotment.

Event 2 Wagon Wheel Deadlift from bar height of 13" at 550#

I can't lie, with my herniated discs, this is the event that I might "sandbag". However, the mechanics of the elevated lift play in favor of my injury, and I get my best numbers from that height. We'll see how it goes, my coach has me on a great rehab program.

Event 3 Sandbag load and sled drag.

Carry a 200# and then a 250# sandbag 50' each and load to a sled, then drag the loaded sled backward 50', faster than the other guys.

Event 4 Yoke Carry a yoke loaded to 650# 60', drop and turn around, then carry the yoke back to the start.

This will be a tough one on my spine. I won an event with a Yoke at 600#, but that was 2 years ago. I'll have to practice this event, then take breaks (like for weeks) in order to not re-injure my discs, in preparation for this event.

Event 5 Sandbag toss over high bar.

Sounds easy, until you try it. 20,30,40# sandbags over a 12' bar. Takes tremendous focus, explosion, as well as precision to get the bag over the bar on the initial attempt. I'll likely have more time just perfecting the technique of this event, than all of the others combined.

So, now that you have an idea of what I'm getting into, just be patient and I'll try to show some progress pictures and videos along the journey.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good luck with it.. On the other side of town I'll be competing in the weak man contest where if you can drop a bag of groceries (preferably bread and potato chips) you win.. I've been training with an empty plastic shopping bag all summer. I'm almost up to 2 bags.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Good luck big guy.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds tough Sunset. Good luck on your training. Whatever you do, don’t Eifert yourself.

Reply/Quote
Good luck Sunset !

Just reading that workload wears me out
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 08:03 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good luck big guy.

[Image: Sale_BiCeptual_SM.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 08:19 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sounds tough Sunset. Good luck on your training. Whatever you do, don’t Eifert yourself.

That is a legit concern.  When I'm training for an event, I have a tendency to get stronger faster than my body has ability to adjust to carrying the load.  Thankfully, I have a good coach who keeps me well grounded, and on pace to reach my goals. (just on a slower pace than if left to my own devices)

(07-08-2018, 08:35 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Good luck Sunset !

Just reading that workload wears me out

There's a reason the sport is called Strongman.  If it were easy, we'd call it "average man".   Ninja 

Seriously, those are just the numbers for the fat, old guys division.  If you want some eye-popping shit, see the numbers for the Heavyweight Open division.   Shocked 

Log for reps 325#
DL for reps  750#
Sandbag load and sled drag  300# sandbags
Yoke 825#

There will likely be 60-80 competitors in that division, from all around the Nation.  I guarantee that at least a dozen of them will make those numbers look easy..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just reading what you have to do gave me a hernia. Good luck!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 11:07 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Just reading what you have to do gave me a hernia. Good luck!

If the contest were to be held today, I could most likely complete each of the events without scoring a 0 in any of them.  Having a full 10 months to prepare is like a dream scenario.  Obviously, I'll still have to reach the podium in one of the regional shows, to earn my invite to Nationals.  I'll be looking to get that taken care of before the end of the year, so that I can focus exclusively on 2019 Nationals.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
A friend of mine does these competitions as well.

Good luck and bring home the hardware !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
GL Sunset
Reply/Quote
During football season your workout routine should include beating up steeler fans.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 11:51 AM)Go Cards Wrote: A friend of mine does these competitions as well.

Good luck and bring home the hardware !

Thanks, I'll do my best!  But, this is likely my last push at achieving a significant championship.  The injuries have taken their toll, the doc thinks it's a good idea to drop some weight for general health purposes.  It's time for one last, big push.

(07-08-2018, 03:18 PM)Beaker Wrote: During football season your workout routine should include beating up steeler fans.

Nah, my brawlin' days are long past.  Last time I busted heads, I hit a guy so hard that it broke my hand.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good luck. I got tired just reading what you will have to do in the competition, took a nap and then ate a full bag of potato chips. Now I need a nap again. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 06:35 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Good luck.  I got tired just reading what you will have to do in the competition, took a nap and then ate a full bag of potato chips.  Now I need a nap again.  :)

I hear ya, man.  Typically, after competing in a show, I'll be completely famished.  For some reason, I just can't compete well with food in my gut.  So, usually I'll head to the best recommended Mexican Restaurant and wolf down two complete dinners, along with chips, salsa, salsa picosa, and cheese dip, and wash it all down with 1-2 pitchers of Dos Equis.

About 45 minutes later, they just roll me toward the nearest restroom, where I take up residence for the next half hour...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 06:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hear ya, man.  Typically, after competing in a show, I'll be completely famished.  For some reason, I just can't compete well with food in my gut.  So, usually I'll head to the best recommended Mexican Restaurant and wolf down two complete dinners, along with chips, salsa, salsa picosa, and cheese dip, and wash it all down with 1-2 pitchers of Dos Equis.

About 45 minutes later, they just roll me toward the nearest restroom, where I take up residence for the next half hour...

I can relate to that sort of.  I was on the wrestling team in high school and was one of those taller lanky guys that had to do a lot of fasting to get down to a weight class I could compete in.  Early on as soon as I weighed in I would gorge on food because I was famished but I learned that didn't work out so well as in vomiting all over the mat in the middle of a match.  So I would nibble on lighter snacks, drink honey mixed with water shortly before my match for quick but brief energy, compete and then gorge on food.  Of course if it was a tournament and I made it to the next day where I would have to weigh in again I was taking measures to lose all the food weight I had inhaled.  I'll spare the details. Wash and repeat.  I don't even want to know what affects that might of had on my body and health as developing teenager.  That was kind of the standard back then though with a lot of wrestlers.  I don't know if it is still that way.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Oh, I see.. So nobody thinks a weak man competition is legit, huh? How about the slowest runner, maybe even walker?  In fact there should be a whiners competition along with groveling and begging for mercy competition because , well, some of us just aren't cut out for the strong guy stuff anymore..
I used to be, but I'm old and have been smoking for far too long . 
Heck, we could even have dumpy cheerleaders that nobody is attracted to...
Just think of the possibilities..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
good luck sounds a lot like the strongest man competitions I used to watch on TV....
Reply/Quote
Best of luck to ya !
Reply/Quote
I wish you well.  I hope everything works out for the best.  But I honestly believe that if you have had two herniated discs you should find some other hobby.  You could even keep lifting weights because there are exercises that you can eliminate or protect your back.  But these strong man events involve a wide range of body movements that put a hell of a lot of strain on your back.
Reply/Quote