Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, the journey begins!
Good luck brother......hope you bring home the hardware.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Best of luck to ya Sunset!   That is awesome.  Make sure you keep us updated. 

Just don't hurt yourself.  We still kinda need mods like you around these parts.   :) 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Good luck Sunset, bring home the title!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2018, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I wish you well.  I hope everything works out for the best.  But I honestly believe that if you have had two herniated discs you should find some other hobby.  You could even keep lifting weights because there are exercises that you can eliminate or protect your back.  But these strong man events involve a wide range of body movements that put a hell of a lot of strain on your back.

I genuinely appreciate your concern.  In fact, I agree, there is a good chance that I can aggravate my injuries.  However, one must also take to time to realize something.  By the time we get to the Masters 50+, we've all been injured, beaten, battered beyond repair, in some way, shape, fashion, or another.

Truthfully, I don't know a single competitor over the age of 40 that doesn't "sandbag" at least one event.  We all pick our moments to go all out, and when to protect what's left of our bodies.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Whoa! That sounded exhausting. I'm in awe, but be careful doing all that. You could herniate something other than your discs Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2018, 08:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I genuinely appreciate your concern.  In fact, I agree, there is a good chance that I can aggravate my injuries.  However, one must also take to time to realize something.  By the time we get to the Masters 50+, we've all been injured, beaten, battered beyond repair, in some way, shape, fashion, or another.

Truthfully, I don't know a single competitor over the age of 40 that doesn't "sandbag" at least one event.  We all pick our moments to go all out, and when to protect what's left of our bodies.

Well you know me.  I had to chime in because I am sure you had no idea any of this this might be bad for your back. Rolleyes

BTW how big are you?  You have posted pictures but you are usually standing next to other big men.  How big do you plan to be for the competitition?
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 01:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Well you know me.  I had to chime in because I am sure you had no idea any of this this might be bad for your back. Rolleyes

BTW how big are you?  You have posted pictures but you are usually standing next to other big men.  How big do you plan to be for the competitition?

I'm a good sized guy, 6'2" and around 260#.  Goal is to get down to 242# for the Championship.  After that, likely work on getting under 230#, which is where my Dr. thinks is a good weight for a guy my age.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 01:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: you are usually standing next to other big men. 

Size don’t matter. At least that’s what my wife keeps telling me?

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 07:50 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Size don’t matter. At least that’s what my wife keeps telling me?

Mine too.  Funny, she always tells me that when I'm undressed.   Mellow
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Good Luck Sunset !!!
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 08:08 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Mine too.  Funny, she always tells me that when I'm undressed.   Mellow

I only pee on hydrants at night.  Sad

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 12:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Alright, as some of you already know, in addition to being your favorite Bengals Board Moderator, I also compete in the Masters Division of the sport of Strongman.  As you can imagine, just like all the other "old dudes" in strength competition, I've suffered from the same course of injuries, hormone drops and other general setbacks.  But alas, just like all of the other hard headed individuals competing at my age, I keep pushing onward.

So, with all of that said, ya boy SunsetBengal is going to make a run at the United States Strongman National Championship in the Heavyweight Masters 50+ division, to be held at the Columbus Convention Center (the same one as "The Arnold") on June 8th of 2019.  This event will have special meaning to me, not just because I'll be returning to my home State to compete in front of family, friends, and former Semi-Pro Football teammates, but because it will signify that despite suffering two herniated discs in my prime, I can still compete at a high level.

So, what are you going to have to do, Sunset?  Ok, I'll explain it all, right here.

Event 1  12" Steel log Clean and Press away for reps at 220#

When I first saw this event released, my heart melted.  Overhead is my best event, and 220# is a weight that I play with in training, literally every week.  I fully expect to win this event, as I'm looking to get 15+ repetitions in my 60 second time allotment.

Event 2  Wagon Wheel Deadlift from bar height of 13" at 550#

I can't lie, with my herniated discs, this is the event that I might "sandbag".  However, the mechanics of the elevated lift play in favor of my injury, and I get my best numbers from that height.  We'll see how it goes, my coach has me on a great rehab program.

Event 3  Sandbag load and sled drag.

Carry a 200# and then a 250# sandbag 50' each and load to a sled, then drag the loaded sled backward 50', faster than the other guys.

Event 4  Yoke  Carry a yoke loaded to 650# 60', drop and turn around, then carry the yoke back to the start.

This will be a tough one on my spine.  I won an event with a Yoke at 600#, but that was 2 years ago.  I'll have to practice this event, then take breaks (like for weeks) in order to not re-injure my discs, in preparation for this event.

Event 5  Sandbag toss over high bar.

Sounds easy, until you try it.  20,30,40# sandbags over a 12' bar.  Takes tremendous focus, explosion, as well as precision to get the bag over the bar on the initial attempt.  I'll likely have more time just perfecting the technique of this event, than all of the others combined.

So, now that you have an idea of what I'm getting into, just be patient and I'll try to show some progress pictures and videos along the journey.
Let me know when you get to the heavy stuff!! Just kidding, good luck and stay healthy before your event! We'll all be pulling for you!
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 08:08 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Mine too.  Funny, she always tells me that when I'm undressed.   Mellow

Mine just giggles.... Sick
Reply/Quote