Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...was Marvin holding Ross back?
(09-11-2019, 04:56 PM)Earendil Wrote: Of course he was, he doesn't play for the Bengals anymore.

Wonder if the bullseye came off when he got to Oakland.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 05:37 PM)McC Wrote: Wonder if the bullseye came off when he got to Oakland.

Burfict looked good last night, the same thumper and attack LB we grew to love.

But, he just throws his body around so very likely he ends on IR sooner than later.

As for the bullseye, it sure seemed like he was given a clean slate by the announcers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 05:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Burfict looked good last night, the same thumper and attack LB we grew to love.

But, he just throws his body around so very likely he ends on IR sooner than later.

As for the bullseye, it sure seemed like he was given a clean slate by the announcers.

Well, throwing his body around is one thing.  But it seems like throwing his head around was always the problem in the past, both infraction-wise and bell rung-wise.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 04:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: speaking of Burfict, he was getting a lot of love on the broadcast.

Yep, and 55 did play better than he had here the last couple of years. All it boils down to is media bias. That's it. These pukes sensationalize everything these days. Burfict smacked their precious Stoolers in the mouth, and they didn't like it. So, they zeroed in on him, and showed every little pinch in the pile. When you look at the media barrage on him, the league really had no choice but to act. I used to balme Goodell, and Burfict did bring some of it on himself, but the more I think about and with how they talked about him Sunday.... I've changed my tune. Now, "he's cleaned it up". Bullshit, he's the same player he always was, he just doesn't play Shitsburgh twice a year as a divisional foe anymore. It's all good now.

As Bobby Knight said about reporters:  ".....you people have taken on a profession that's one step above prostitution....."

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 06:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and 55 did play better than he had here the last couple of years. All it boils down to is media bias. That's it. These pukes sensationalize everything these days. Burfict smacked their precious Stoolers in the mouth, and they didn't like it. So, they zeroed in on him, and showed every little pinch in the pile. When you look at the media barrage on him, the league really had no choice but to act. I used to balme Goodell, and Burfict did bring some of it on himself, but the more I think about and with how they talked about him Sunday.... I've changed my tune. Now, "he's cleaned it up". Bullshit, he's the same player he always was, he just doesn't play Shitsburgh twice a year as a divisional foe anymore. It's all good now.

As Bobby Knight said about reporters:  ".....you people have taken on a profession that's one step above prostitution....."

Great Bobby Knight quote, though I would argue that it's a full step.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 04:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: speaking of Burfict, he was getting a lot of love on the broadcast.

Yeah, like it looked like he was 'straightening out the problems he has while he was in Cincinnati', as if it was the Bengals fault. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And the people obsessed with ripping Marvin will deny that any player ever got better without new coaches.

Funny how people complained that Marvin used Ross too much on deep routes, but his big yards under Taylor come on deep routes.

And Ross played over 90% of the snaps over the last 8 games last year so the claims that Marvin benched him every time he made a mistake are 100% bullshit.

Marvin haters can't admit they are wrong so they just make stuff up.

1. Again, it's not about ripping Marvin so much as being positive about the obvious difference our new HC is already making.

2. Ross was used (and gained yards) in a multitude of routes. Receivers were more open Sunday than they've been in quite some time. I wonder why?

3. I didn't say Ross was benched every time he made a mistake...but Marvin did bench him for a mistake in the first game last year, and Ross sure has expressed that he felt like he was walking on egg shells with Marvin. I see no reason to think he's making it up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 12:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: DingDing

Agreed. I think it was a combo of not giving the kid enough leeway and poor usage. Trying to pigeon hole the guy into a specific role. Not tayloring (pun intended) a game plan around him and his skills. Last year, he fumbles on his first play and gets benched. This year he drops a couple and Taylor doesn't change a thing. It's almost like he made a point to feature Ross and get the kid going to show him things are different.

I mean, this kid just almost equaled his 2019 season yardage total in 1 game, and people don't think how he's been handled by the 2 coaches is a big difference? Can't say I'm surprised though. I figured people would fall back on "Ross improved himself" if he broke out this year. We can't be admitting we were wrong, now can we? Cool

I believe Marvin took out some frustration on Ross that was truly aimed at Tobin. Remember, Marvin and company wanted OJ Howard. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:10 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I believe Marvin took out some frustration on Ross that was truly aimed at Tobin. Remember, Marvin and company wanted OJ Howard. 

I’ve always heard Rueben Foster...

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve always heard Rueben Foster...

Hobson wrote shortly after the draft, that the #9 pick was between Ross and Howard. Marvin and the majority of the coaches wanted Howard. Duke and James Urban were pushing for Ross. Mike Brown sided with Tobin and the rest is history.

Foster might've been considered a 2nd round option ala Rey Maualuga.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Under Marv, I have rarely (if ever) seen a passing route that got separation for his receivers.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:10 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I believe Marvin took out some frustration on Ross that was truly aimed at Tobin. Remember, Marvin and company wanted OJ Howard. 

Reuben Foster
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:39 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Under Marv, I have rarely (if ever) seen a passing route that got separation for his receivers.

Love your avatar...cracked my ass up.   And why has there never been a sequel???

Back on point:  You are dead on in your assessment.  I marveled at how Haley had receivers WIDE OPEN just 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.  They would get 5 more yards before any defender closed, they would make that person miss (in open space, not traffic), get 5 more yards before being tackled.  Piggy gets a high % completion for 15 yards with virtually no risk.  Then, as defenses would try to close in, deep shots opened up.  

New England is still the king of the "rub route".  They disguise it so well that it isn't a penalty, but they are just living in that area where the league allows it and it creates a win for their offense.  Can't blame them.  Again, high %, low risk.  

Dalton, I have argued, has had to hit some of the smallest windows in his career here.  He has to be going ape over this offense.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Love your avatar...cracked my ass up.   And why has there never been a sequel???

Back on point:  You are dead on in your assessment.  I marveled at how Haley had receivers WIDE OPEN just 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.  They would get 5 more yards before any defender closed, they would make that person miss (in open space, not traffic), get 5 more yards before being tackled.  Piggy gets a high % completion for 15 yards with virtually no risk.  Then, as defenses would try to close in, deep shots opened up.  

New England is still the king of the "rub route".  They disguise it so well that it isn't a penalty, but they are just living in that area where the league allows it and it creates a win for their offense.  Can't blame them.  Again, high %, low risk.  

Dalton, I have argued, has had to hit some of the smallest windows in his career here.  He has to be going ape over this offense.  

Aj spoke and said he could play 8 more years under this offense. We may look back at the AJ injury and see it was best thing that could have happened for development of Ross and Willis.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 11:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  I didn't say Ross was benched every time he made a mistake...but Marvin did bench him for a mistake in the first game last year, and Ross sure has expressed that he felt like he was walking on egg shells with Marvin. I see no reason to think he's making it up.

He was walking on eggshells because of what HE did not what Marvin did.  Ross screwed up a lot.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He was walking on eggshells because of what HE did not what Marvin did.  Ross screwed up a lot.

So did a bum like Cedric Ogbuehi, yet Marvin kept trotting him out there...

He clearly was harder on the kid than he was most players.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So did a bum like Cedric Ogbuehi, yet Marvin kept trotting him out there...

He clearly was harder on the kid than he was most players.

So which one did he handle properly?  Ogbuehi or Ross?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He was walking on eggshells because of what [b]HE did[/b] not what Marvin did.  Ross screwed up a lot.

Being drafted ?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So which one did he handle properly?  Ogbuehi or Ross?

Clearly, neither.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:23 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Being drafted ?

You don't think Ross ever messed up in games?

You have no problem with him trying to hide an injury form coaches?

Seriously?
Reply/Quote