Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, we're getting a dog
Actually, the wife is getting a dog. Meaning by proxy, I'm getting a dog.. Nice looking little fellow, Yorkshire Terrier. I guess that I should be happy and excited, but I'm not. Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm ready for a dog. The last one that I had, I raised from a puppy, until someone poisoned him when he was 12. He was a majestic Blue Doberman, great temperament, pleasant disposition. Everything that I could ever ask for in a pet. That was 17 years ago.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dogs are the best. I've got a Golden and an Aussie. My days wouldn't feel right if I didn't have them to greet me in the morning, and spend my afternoon with them. Embrace the pups.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 08:05 PM)Harmening Wrote: Dogs are the best.  I've got a Golden and an Aussie.  My days wouldn't feel right if I didn't have them to greet me in the morning, and spend my afternoon with them.  Embrace the pups.

Oh, I love animals.  It's just that every pet that ever had any significant meaning to me, was taken via a tragic demise.  I had just sort of resigned myself to not get that attached again.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 08:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, I love animals.  It's just that every pet that ever had any significant meaning to me, was taken via a tragic demise.  I had just sort of resigned myself to not get that attached again.

They will absolutely appreciate it if you do, my man.  Cool
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 08:05 PM)Harmening Wrote: Dogs are the best.  I've got a Golden and an Aussie.  My days wouldn't feel right if I didn't have them to greet me in the morning, and spend my afternoon with them.  Embrace the pups.

Blue Heeler?!
Reply/Quote
I bet the dog will take an instant liking to you and you guys will be inseparable.

More love and devotion coming your way.
Reply/Quote
[Image: b9114d0426ecea93999a314b2eb6ce7a--yorkie...things.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 11:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Blue Heeler?!

Part Heeler.  Mostly Australian Shepherd, some Heeler, and Border Collie.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 09:26 AM)Harmening Wrote: Part Heeler.  Mostly Australian Shepherd, some Heeler, and Border Collie.

LOVE IT.

A family friend's dog got pregnant a few months before the wreck, and it was a cockapoo, so my family agreed to take one, but then the wreck happened.  She was born while I was in a coma, but my family took her and named her BJ (my initials), and the vets for all the puppies said the father had to be a Blue Heeler.

She looked dead-on regular size Blue Heelers and she was super-protective of me, which is common for those dogs.

It was hilarious because you could also see the cattle dog in her instincts, like someone would bring a baby in a cradle and sit it on the ground, and she'd walk in circles around it!
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 02:35 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: LOVE IT.

A family friend's dog got pregnant a few months before the wreck, and it was a cockapoo, so my family agreed to take one, but then the wreck happened.  She was born while I was in a coma, but my family took her and named her BJ (my initials), and the vets for all the puppies said the father had to be a Blue Heeler.

She looked dead-on regular size Blue Heelers and she was super-protective of me, which is common for those dogs.

It was hilarious because you could also see the cattle dog in her instincts, like someone would bring a baby in a cradle and sit it on the ground, and she'd walk in circles around it!

Damnit! Had you had a full heeler, you would have come out of the coma moonwalking. Wink

Reply/Quote
Congrats on the new dog. The kids want a dog.

Always wanted a Rhodesian ridgeback. Going to end up with a Great Dane or German Shepard most Likely.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 11:24 PM)MichaelWeston Wrote: Congrats on the new dog.  The kids want a dog.  

Always wanted a Rhodesian ridgeback.   Going to end up with a Great Dane or German Shepard most Likely.

I have a friend who had two Lion Dogs or Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Good looking dogs that had a ridge of fur along their spines that ended at their necks which curled into two circles.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 02:40 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I have a friend who had two Lion Dogs or Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Good looking dogs that had a ridge of fur along their spines that ended at their necks which curled into two circles.

They are beautiful dogs.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 08:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, I love animals.  It's just that every pet that ever had any significant meaning to me, was taken via a tragic demise.  I had just sort of resigned myself to not get that attached again.

As I said in the other thread, this is my father's sentiment: no more pets ever again, as when they pass, you become too emotionally-attached and its tragic when they die.

We have a year and (almost!) a half old Bolognese and she is just a bundle of joy for my fiancée and I (yes, an Italian dog: it was a stipulation, after she didn't want a large dog and I did); it will be sad when her demise comes, but, barring any fluke, should be another 15 years or so for us and we're fully-aware of what can happen when that day comes.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

don't worry the dog will eventually win your heart...

Its sad when they go just reminds you to appreciate the time they are here.
Reply/Quote
Best pets are pot belly pigs.

You are still sad when they die, but at least you can have some delicious BBQ.
Reply/Quote
On a serious not, do you still have children that live at home? Have the oldest ones recently moved out?
Reply/Quote
Love dogs and albeit it is painful when they depart.

Just take solace in knowing you gave them a comfortable life while alive and move along to help another dog have good life.

They do become family and have one coming to the end and another just a few years behind.

It will be devastating to me but would not trade "the Dance" we have had for anything.

But my Snoopy Beagles are the best.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Ok, we'll have our dog in about a week. My mother and father in law went to pick him up yesterday, they live near Marietta, and wife is traveling up next weekend. Anyway, they say he's great. Four year old male, calm, even tempered, generally pleasant. What really got me is, they say he doesn't bark. Even around their shits-yous, that bark constantly, at everything. (I really don't care for yappy, little dogs much) They said the only time they could get him to bark, was when my father in law threw his house slipper at the cat, for digging in the plants. LOL

I think that the little fellow and I, are going to get along just fine. I'll post a picture, eventually.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, the wife is getting a dog.  Meaning by proxy, I'm getting a dog..  Nice looking little fellow, Yorkshire Terrier.  I guess that I should be happy and excited, but I'm not.  Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm ready for a dog.  The last one that I had, I raised from a puppy, until someone poisoned him when he was 12.  He was a majestic Blue Doberman, great temperament, pleasant disposition.  Everything that I could ever ask for in a pet.  That was 17 years ago.

Oh hell ! next thing ya know you'll be getting your AARP card and a hoveround.
Reply/Quote