Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, we're getting a dog
(06-27-2018, 08:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: Yorkie? That's not really getting a dog. Anything small enough to put in your purse is not a dog.

(See how I assumed you had a purse if you're getting a Yorkie?)

Well, I did mention in the OP that the wife is getting a dog..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 11:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Blue Heeler?!

I had a blue healer when I lived in Texas.. She was a tough ass little dog and extremely loyal to me to the point of becoming vicious to everyone else , but like many people I don't want another dog. I get very attached to them and when they go for any reason I feel horrible for months or even years afterwards. 
My Blue was very gentle towards me and the old woman I took care of ,but after the old woman died the dog turned on everyone who wasn't me. 
I had to leave her with my sister in Texas and my little blue tore into my sister great Dane and terrorized the poor thing even though she was less than half his size . Blues get REALLY strong, like a sack of cured cement with legs.. They're actually breed to bring down cattle, bulls in particular. I've seen them bring down full grown bulls.. 
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 01:51 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Always get shelter dogs and do not regret it one bit. Am proud of the fact actually. 

Love my Beagles that are not too big for house and not too small to sweat stepping on them and crushing accidentally going to bathroom in middle of the night. 

They are so fast they can take care of themselves as well. Mine are not aggressive at all but one time while getting out of car to take in groceries a chow got loose from owner walking it and charged into the yard aggressively.  That little Beagle was on him so fast it was shocking. It was like a little demon with teeth and could not even get a hand in to separate them momentarily. Chow hair was flying everywhere and he was happy to get away once separated. 

Shelter dogs can survive !  If adopted that is. 

I hope for their sake they don't try to take on a blue healer.. Blues look small ,but they're mostly muscle and very quick.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 12:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I can't cite anything, but I think it's pretty much proven that mutts fare far better than purebreds overall.  

The thing about breeders of "show dogs" is they usually breed in very poor genetic traits for the looks very much to the detriment of the breed   ..Too bad the original genes of the original breeds wasn't preserved much. Most were very healthy animals at one time .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 07:51 PM)grampahol Wrote: I hope for their sake they don't try to take on a blue healer.. Blues look small ,but they're mostly muscle and very quick.  

That is when my nephew who stays with me Blue Pit Bull steps in. 

But none of the dogs are even the least bit aggressive in less except when another dog charged into the yard all swelled up in attack mode. 

Was more than likely protecting me even. Now there are two and they play rough rolling each other all over the back yard. Do not let them and that Pit in yard together though since they were not raised together. In house they are fine but he is so big he and fast he may snap them in half if ever biting. 

Love Blue Healers as well though, seem very smart. Used to play with one of my customers often on his farm. Always said that would be my next one if not getting a Beagle. 

Unfortunately they do not end up in shelters very often and I solely adopt my dogs. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 07:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: I had a blue healer when I lived in Texas.. She was a tough ass little dog and extremely loyal to me to the point of becoming vicious to everyone else , but like many people I don't want another dog. I get very attached to them and when they go for any reason I feel horrible for months or even years afterwards. 
My Blue was very gentle towards me and the old woman I took care of ,but after the old woman died the dog turned on everyone who wasn't me. 
I had to leave her with my sister in Texas and my little blue tore into my sister great Dane and terrorized the poor thing even though she was less than half his size . Blues get REALLY strong, like a sack of cured cement with legs.. They're actually breed to bring down cattle, bulls in particular. I've seen them bring down full grown bulls.. 

Love my Blue heeler... Was quiet the handful when she was younger but shes 13+ now and just wants nothing more than to be next to me all the time.   Shes aggressive towards other animals especially any bird or squirrel that enters her yard.   But shes all bark and no bite when it comes to that.

They are tough little buggers though  she has been to the point where she cant walk twice due to her back injury  and recovered both times. and walks pretty much fine dispite little to no feeling in 1 foot.
Reply/Quote