Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So, what's wrong with Joe?
Joe Burrow certainly "checks all the boxes." He's Carson Palmer 2.0.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 02:31 AM)Whatever Wrote: I think the "Trevor Lawrence is better" people kinda got shut up tonight.

No doubt.  Trevor Lawrence will have his day, he'll get better with age.

The biggest difference in them right now is what they do under pressure.  Seemed like all of Lawrence's passes under pressure sailed way high - and he's got some big, long-armed receivers.  Burrow is more seasoned and looked more under control.

Just glad we got the #1 pick with such a clear cut choice.  No need to take any time assessing the #1, focus all of our attention on the later rounds.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 02:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's right, I'm asking all of the Joe Burrow antagonists, "What's wrong with him?".

Did you not like the way he hangs in there, against likely the best defense in CFB?

Did you not like the way he changed his strategy to defeat tight coverage and a relentless pass rush?

Did you not like that he set the NCAA TD record?

Do you not like the way he overcomes adversity, and leads his team to play their best game?

Now is you chance, tell us what you don't like about Joe Burrow.   Cool

I think what I liked best (and there is a HELL of a lot to like) was how he kept getting shot after shot after letting go of the ball (waiting for his receiver to make that final move to clear, a la Kurt Warner) and he never ONCE looked at a ref (a la Tom Brady) like: "FLAG!  FLAG!  I WON THE HEISMAN!!!".  The guy just got up time after time and kept making play after play.  Tough kid.  And don't worry, I won't jinx him and buy his jersey  Ninja.  

I love his moxy...about how he wanted to return Nebraska to prominence.  Well, he is going to get a shot to do that in Cincinnati, and 2-14 was more than worth it.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think what I liked best (and there is a HELL of a lot to like) was how he kept getting shot after shot after letting go of the ball (waiting for his receiver to make that final move to clear, a la Kurt Warner) and he never ONCE looked at a ref (a la Tom Brady) like: "FLAG!  FLAG!  I WON THE HEISMAN!!!".  The guy just got up time after time and kept making play after play.  Tough kid.  And don't worry, I won't jinx him and buy his jersey  Ninja.  

I love his moxy...about how he wanted to return Nebraska to prominence.  Well, he is going to get a shot to do that in Cincinnati, and 2-14 was more than worth it.  

Could you imagine if we had completed that Miami win for the "moral" of it and then missed out on Burrow?

I know rooting for your team to lose FEELS like you're not a true fan (as Dalton said, I guess), but this was an opportunity that we could not pass up. Burrow for a decade is going to feel WAY better than a meaningless win against a shit team just to make us feel better for a few minutes.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 02:31 AM)Whatever Wrote: I think the "Trevor Lawrence is better" people kinda got shut up tonight.

Sure did....and LSU's defense wasn't anywhere near as loaded as Clemson's.  Early in the first half, the guys from Clemson were WIDE OPEN in space.  They rattled Lawrence and he was off target most of the night.  When I saw the one pass interference call against LSU that gave Clemson a first down (would have punted otherwise) I was like, "seriously?  again?" but LSU just couldn't be stopped on offense.  Burrow went to his TE when his WR was blanketed.  He checked it down to his RB.  He even started running the ball.  The kid just knows to take what is given and not force it.  

That has been my biggest knock on Dalton was always trying to force the ball to Green when he is doubled.  

Lawrence is still an amazing athlete, and will be a great QB, but the way he beat OSU (with refs and his legs) and the struggles he had making his reads (and it looked to me like he had a LOT more time than Burrow, except for a couple plays) has me glad that the Bengals will get their QB this year, and not hope for next.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 08:46 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: A month ago, I was on the "Maybe we should trade down" train. Today, I am the conductor of the "If you don't draft Burrow, I will murder your family" train.

Props for honesty...and I was right next to you before, and right next to you now...That sounded creepy, sorry.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 02:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's right, I'm asking all of the Joe Burrow antagonists, "What's wrong with him?".

Did you not like the way he hangs in there, against likely the best defense in CFB?

Did you not like the way he changed his strategy to defeat tight coverage and a relentless pass rush?

Did you not like that he set the NCAA TD record?

Do you not like the way he overcomes adversity, and leads his team to play their best game?

Now is you chance, tell us what you don't like about Joe Burrow.   Cool

I just hope Bengals don't waste his talents.   LSU uses a New Orleans Saints NFL offense of hurry up quick plays and quick release passes.  Burrow was excellent fit as he reads and adjusts and hits the open man.  So the question is are the Bengals and Zac Taylor a Step Down from the LSU offensive coaches ???   I know he had better blocking at LSU than Bengals provide. 

So 99.9 % sure he is Bengals #1 pick.   The Focus changes to the first picks in 2 and 3.   Yes, we need a 4-3 LB in here.   We also need a Great Blocker for the worst O Line in NFL.   The first pick in 2 is like an extra First Round Pick, and I say after taking the QB,  use the next pick to get him some blocking.  This will help Mixon also. 

The coaches need to stop the rinky dink, slow developing plays.  It remains to be seen if Zac can win with any players.  Bengals Front Office leaves a lot to be desired.  Is this Franchise ready to commit to WINNING as LSU did ???   

In the right offense Burrow will do well in the NFL.  I'm not sure Bengals are the right offense for any quarterback as long as Mike Brown wonders why he should have to pay blockers.  This team needs more than a QB change and I really don't think Dalton was Bengals major problem.  Dalton performed a miracle getting this franchise into 5 straight play-off games.  Anderson had Bengals in 2 straight play-offs once.  So I think this franchise has much bigger problems than QB, and they start with MB and work their way down. 

By all means, bring in Joe Heisman, but don't pretend that alone fixes the worst team in NFL.  As good as Carson was, he couldn't win here.  The owners have to commit to WINNING and surrounding Joe Heisman with a good team of coaches and players.  Lets face it, if LSU is the best in college, then Cincy is the worst in NFL.   Can the Bengals win with Joe Burrow.  Yes, IF they commit to WINNING.  IF the owners change their cheap ways holding this franchise back.  And THAT'S the ONLY way Burrow can win with constant loser Cincy.  ONE MAN can not turn this thing around.  The entire Franchise from Top Down needs to change and commit to WINNING as never before. 

I have seen good QB's drafted to teams that ruin them.  I have seen a Big Ben get drafted by a team long committed to WINNING and was to his benefit.   Burrow WILL NOT be going to a good team,  he will be going to worst team in NFL.  Ownership must know they have to surround Burrow with good coaches and good players.  IF THEY DON'T, we should never blame Burrow, or Dalton or Carson as Fans have.  Good Teams know it takes more than a QB. 

So hoping that we get a heck of a Blocker to start round 2 and a heck of a LB to start round 3.   Those should be excellent players also considering where the team drafts. 

IF the 2019 Bengals didn't fit Zacs playbook and IF Burrow and the 2020 Bengals don't fit Zacs playbook, then get rid of the playbook, or get rid of Zac.  

All that said, Burrow can read defenses and make quick release passes long, medium, short range and he can excel in a Hurry Up Offense.  Hopefully Bengals will build around that and this offense speeds things up 100 %.   GO BENGALS.  ....The thing BEST about Joe Heisman is He Scores Points, and the Bengals Don't.   We could use the points on the scoreboard. To the poster who wonders if he can play in Ohio weather, He played grade school and high school ball in Ohio and was with Ohio State before transfer to LSU, so Ohio weather is nothing new to him. His Parents are in Ohio. So he can play in the Ohio slop or run on a fast track at LSU, which is rare. GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Ok, I am reaching here and this is going to sound a little assbaggy, but...

He does look a little bit like Macauley Culkin, on steroids or something...I'm really reaching here. I can't wait to see the guy here. If the Bengals sign Thuney and Littleton as FA and then draft Joe, I might sell a kidney and get my season's passes back. I'm not kidding. I am that excited to see the guy here. Are you listening, Bengals?
Reply/Quote
If we manage to screw this up I will destroy PBS with 50 2 liters of Diet Coke and a case of mentos.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Too early. There will be some posters still saying he isnt a good pick and that we should trade out of the pick or an OSU homer will say Chase Young should be a pick.

Then they will say he wasnt accurate enough or the receivers carried him somehow.

They're still out there lurking ir sleeping.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 10:21 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Too early. There will be some posters still saying he isnt a good pick and that we should trade out of the pick or an OSU homer will say Chase Young should be a pick.

Then they will say he wasnt accurate enough or the receivers carried him somehow.

They're still out there lurking ir sleeping.

If there's anybody left out there that doesn't want Joe Burrow I'd recommend a psychiatric evaluation.
Reply/Quote
Im in the camp that if we dont pick Burrow, we should be forced out of the NFL. You just dont pass a chance to have a QB of this caliber.

On a side note, Scott Frost looks like an idiot right now for thinking Martinez was better than Burrow lmao
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 10:06 AM)kevin Wrote: I just hope Bengals don't waste his talents.   LSU uses a New Orleans Saints NFL offense of hurry up quick plays and quick release passes.  Burrow was excellent fit as he reads and adjusts and hits the open man.  So the question is are the Bengals and Zac Taylor a Step Down from the LSU offensive coaches ???   I know he had better blocking at LSU than Bengals provide. 

So 99.9 % sure he is Bengals #1 pick.   The Focus changes to the first picks in 2 and 3.   Yes, we need a 4-3 LB in here.   We also need a Great Blocker for the worst O Line in NFL.   The first pick in 2 is like an extra First Round Pick, and I say after taking the QB,  use the next pick to get him some blocking.  This will help Mixon also. 

The coaches need to stop the rinky dink, slow developing plays.  It remains to be seen if Zac can win with any players.  Bengals Front Office leaves a lot to be desired.  Is this Franchise ready to commit to WINNING as LSU did ???   

In the right offense Burrow will do well in the NFL.  I'm not sure Bengals are the right offense for any quarterback as long as Mike Brown wonders why he should have to pay blockers.  This team needs more than a QB change and I really don't think Dalton was Bengals major problem.  Dalton performed a miracle getting this franchise into 5 straight play-off games.  Anderson had Bengals in 2 straight play-offs once.  So I think this franchise has much bigger problems than QB, and they start with MB and work their way down. 

By all means, bring in Joe Heisman, but don't pretend that alone fixes the worst team in NFL.  As good as Carson was, he couldn't win here.  The owners have to commit to WINNING and surrounding Joe Heisman with a good team of coaches and players.  Lets face it, if LSU is the best in college, then Cincy is the worst in NFL.   Can the Bengals win with Joe Burrow.  Yes, IF they commit to WINNING.  IF the owners change their cheap ways holding this franchise back.  And THAT'S the ONLY way Burrow can win with constant loser Cincy.  ONE MAN can not turn this thing around.  The entire Franchise from Top Down needs to change and commit to WINNING as never before. 

I have seen good QB's drafted to teams that ruin them.  I have seen a Big Ben get drafted by a team long committed to WINNING and was to his benefit.   Burrow WILL NOT be going to a good team,  he will be going to worst team in NFL.  Ownership must know they have to surround Burrow with good coaches and good players.  IF THEY DON'T, we should never blame Burrow, or Dalton or Carson as Fans have.  Good Teams know it takes more than a QB. 

So hoping that we get a heck of a Blocker to start round 2 and a heck of a LB to start round 3.   Those should be excellent players also considering where the team drafts. 

IF the 2019 Bengals didn't fit Zacs playbook and IF Burrow and the 2020 Bengals don't fit Zacs playbook, then get rid of the playbook, or get rid of Zac.  

All that said, Burrow can read defenses and make quick release passes long, medium, short range and he can excel in a Hurry Up Offense.  Hopefully Bengals will build around that and this offense speeds things up 100 %.   GO BENGALS.  ....The thing BEST about Joe Heisman is He Scores Points, and the Bengals Don't.   We could use the points on the scoreboard. To the poster who wonders if he can play in Ohio weather, He played grade school and high school ball in Ohio and was with Ohio State before transfer to LSU, so Ohio weather is nothing new to him.  His Parents are in Ohio.   So he can play in the Ohio slop or run on a fast track at LSU,  which is rare.   GO BENGALS.

This post is absolutely fantastic and I thank you for sharing.  I agree with everything you wrote.  Dear Lord I want this to work, you know, drafting Joe Burrow #1OA and filling the roster with weapons around him.  You've nailed the Cincinnati Bengals' modus operandi better than I've seen any professional sportswriter do it. 

Joe Burrow is terrific but putting him in Zac Taylor's current offense scares the BLEEP out of me.  I hope Zac understands what he's getting and he lets Joe be Joe.  In other words, the offense needs to be built around Joe Burrow's skill set.  If Zac tries to fit Joe into the existing Cincinnati offense Joe will look like a bust.  I do not want that to happen.  Also, I sincerely believe Zac needs to either give the play calling to someone else or let Joe call his own plays.  In fact, I would let Joe do just that. 

The 2020 Bengals have their new quarterback and that's good.  However, let's not pretend the team doesn't have weaknesses elsewhere -- especially on defense.  I hope Lou Anarumo makes his case for some speedy linebackers and some run-stuffing defensive linemen as the Bengals contemplate the rest of the draft, free agency, and potential trades.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 10:29 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Im in the camp that if we dont pick Burrow, we should be forced out of the NFL. You just dont pass a chance to have a QB of this caliber.

On a side note, Scott Frost looks like an idiot right now for thinking Martinez was better than Burrow lmao

I've got about 8 or 10 Bengal buddies in my area most of them are long time Bengal fans and none of them are on this board. Probably half or better of them have told me if we don't take Burrow #1 their continued Bengal Fandom is going to be questionable ?

You just can't pass this up !
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 10:37 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:
This post is absolutely fantastic and I thank you for sharing.  I agree with everything you wrote.  Dear Lord I want this to work, you know, drafting Joe Burrow #1OA and filling the roster with weapons around him.  You've nailed the Cincinnati Bengals' modus operandi better than I've seen any professional sportswriter do it. 

Joe Burrow is terrific but putting him in Zac Taylor's current offense scares the BLEEP out of me.  I hope Zac understands what he's getting and he lets Joe be Joe.  In other words, the offense needs to be built around Joe Burrow's skill set.  If Zac tries to fit Joe into the existing Cincinnati offense Joe will look like a bust.  I do not want that to happen.  Also, I sincerely believe Zac needs to either give the play calling to someone else or let Joe call his own plays.  In fact, I would let Joe do just that. 

The 2020 Bengals have their new quarterback and that's good.  However, let's not pretend the team doesn't have weaknesses elsewhere -- especially on defense.  I hope Lou Anarumo makes his case for some speedy linebackers and some run-stuffing defensive linemen as the Bengals contemplate the rest of the draft, free agency, and potential trades.

Me too and I think one of the bigger problems in ZT's offense is they never really knew what that was. Hopefully ZT's ego isn't so big that he can't admit that to himself and let JB help establish just what they are.

And I'm praying MB will finally wake up and do what it takes to capitalize on what we've been handed.
Reply/Quote
(meanwhile, in Pissburgh, Mike Tomlin and his evil assistants are drawing up plays to tear up Burrow's knees)
Reply/Quote
There was real growth from Joe Burrow as a player last night. Instead of taking a big hit as usual he actually slid...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 09:40 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Could you imagine if we had completed that Miami win for the "moral" of it and then missed out on Burrow?

I know rooting for your team to lose FEELS like you're not a true fan (as Dalton said, I guess), but this was an opportunity that we could not pass up. Burrow for a decade is going to feel WAY better than a meaningless win against a shit team just to make us feel better for a few minutes.

When they got that two point conversion, I was like NOOOOOOO!!!!

I was SO AFRAID that a fluke fumble or INT would win it for Cincy.  Thank GOD they didn't blow the chance to get Burrow.  
Reply/Quote
There is nothing wrong with Joe. There is everything wrong with the Bungles.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 09:27 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow certainly "checks all the boxes."  He's Carson Palmer 2.0.

Well doesn't that just sound ***** awful.
Reply/Quote