Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So, what's wrong with Joe?
(01-14-2020, 08:15 PM)J24 Wrote: That had more to do with Kimo then him. 

Fixt.
Reply/Quote
looks like joe brady is coming to work for a big cat team...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/14/report-panthers-to-hire-joe-brady-away-from-lsu/
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 10:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean, our QB's didn't get hurt this season behind this so called terrible O-line that should be improved next season under Turner.

With Jonah coming in and hopefully a good FA and an early draft pick this might not even be a logical concern with Burrow.

Dude is a master at navigating the pocket and we actually have a decent Center now.

It has indeed been the worst offensive line in the NFL since Zeitler & Whitworth left.   It went more downhill with Boling leaving.   Draft picks of Ogbuehi and Fisher didn't pan out.  Neither did bringing in Glenn.   So far drafting Price hasn't panned out either.  

Hopefully Alabama star Williams will pan out.  They just have to try again and take a Blocker at first pick in 2.   Maybe this Prince Wanogho of Aurburn to give us 2 star SEC Tackles to block for the star SEC QB and for Mixon.   Then still get a top 4-3 LB in first pick of 3,  very much like a 2nd round pick LB. 

The Bengals score no points, haven't for years now.  It was that the Defense would keep scores low, but we still lost more than we won.  Lets go the other way and put points on the board so our D isn't expected to pitch a shutout.   I'm all for the Heisman QB and Mixon behind Williams and drafting another Bell Cow Tackle high as bookend Blocking Tackles on the Outside.  We still would need to improve the inside of O Line, but it's a start.   

The Bengals can not give up on building an O Line, otherwise they might as well get out of the NFL and QUIT all together. 

Let us NOT drink the Kool Aid that this is a good O Line already.   It is the worst line in the NFL.   Accepting that there is a problem is the first step to recovery.  The O Line can be fixed, new players brought in.  Maybe Williams is a great talent that we haven't even seen yet, but ADD MORE to him.   YES, draft the QB SUPERSTAR, but as Mean Machine Longest Yard basic football,  PROTECT THE SUPERSTAR.  

Also don't be impressed how Bengals blocked against some very bad teams late in the year.  Remember the no blocking against good teams all year.   People asking why no running yards ?  Answer : No Blocking.   People asking why no passing yards ?  Answer : No Blocking....My word, they were desperate enough to bring over the hill Andre Smith back and he was awful.   Lets not pretend this is a good O Line when it Stinks.   YES, take the QB, but then take the best blocker we can get.   

I do believe the worst Bengals record ever team CAN be fixed.  Getting this QB in backfield with Mixon and Williams and another top pick Tackle would be a start on turning this mess around.   Dalton was not the worst QB in NFL, but our O Line was worst in NFL.  We remain in Last Place until we get some Blocking in here for Burrow and Mixon and Boyd and Ross.   O LINE, BUILD IT AND WINS WILL COME. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sometimes saying that a guys is a "product of the system" is accurate, like in the case of Johnny Football.  However, in other cases its just total bunk, made up by people that have no legitimate issues to knock a guy on.

In Joe Burrow's situation, it's literally impossible for him to have been a "system" guy.  Before he went to LSU, they had no wide-open offensive style.  They literally changed their entire offensive mind set at the time Joe came to town.   

The system that LSU used is similar if not the same system used by the Saints. This system has made Drew Brees a Hall of Fame QB. When Bridgewater filled in for Brees earlier this year, he looked like a star as well. The question than is it the system or the QB? 

That is 3 QBs all playing in a similar system and all had a great year. How do you explain that? I'm guessing the system is QB friendly. 

If Brady stays at LSU as a coach and another QB comes in and performs similar to Brees, Burrow, and Bridgewater than it is more the system than the player. 

These are things to think about and things that Bengals have to consider when making a decision on who is their next QB. 

I'm not a scout but I try to look at the bigger picture and right now that includes systems and how a player fits into the system the Bengals are using. If none of the three top QB fit the Bengals system, drop out of the top pick and pick up additional picks. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 11:35 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: The system that LSU used is similar if not the same system used by the Saints. This system has made Drew Brees a Hall of Fame QB. When Bridgewater filled in for Brees earlier this year, he looked like a star as well. The question than is it the system or the QB? 

That is 3 QBs all playing in a similar system and all had a great year. How do you explain that? I'm guessing the system is QB friendly. 

If Brady stays at LSU as a coach and another QB comes in and performs similar to Brees, Burrow, and Bridgewater than it is more the system than the player. 

These are things to think about and things that Bengals have to consider when making a decision on who is their next QB. 

I'm not a scout but I try to look at the bigger picture and right now that includes systems and how a player fits into the system the Bengals are using. If none of the three top QB fit the Bengals system, drop out of the top pick and pick up additional picks. 
WRONG.   Bengals have had worst year in their history and 2018 was Last Place also.  

Draft Burrow and if the playbook doesn't fit, get rid of the playbook, or get rid of Zac. 

DO NOT pass on Joe Heisman because of our Last Place Playbook.

There is nothing great about the Bengals Last Place System. Bring in Best Available Athletes AND be willing to change and adapt the Last Place System. Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results. As the Marines say, CHANGE and ADAPT. and WE ARE LOOKING FOR FEW GOOD MEN. Draft Burrow and the best players we can get, and CHANGE and ADAPT the Last Place System.

Burrow excels in a quick release pass of Hurry Up Offense. I saw Bengals excel in that to 1988 Super Bowl, that use to be OUR system.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 10:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: looks like joe brady is coming to work for a big cat team...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/14/report-panthers-to-hire-joe-brady-away-from-lsu/

You’re a little late lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Honest question, if Ohio is so important to JB why did he go to LSU?
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Honest question, if Ohio is so important to JB why did he go to LSU?

No one is saying Ohio is super “important” to him. Just thats it’s his home state, and most people like being near their family if they’re close (they are).

As to why he went to LSU, because he broke his hand at OSU and Haskins had the starter job. It’s not like LSU was his first choice either. He wanted Nebraska. How bad are they kicking themselves right now?

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No one is saying Ohio is super “important” to him. Just thats it’s his home state, and most people like being near their family if they’re close (they are).

As to why he went to LSU, because he broke his hand at OSU and Haskins had the starter job. It’s not like LSU was his first choice either. He wanted Nebraska. How bad are they kicking themselves right now?

Ok fair enough, but I'll admit I have a hard time following some of the narratives.  Dalton is going to have a hard time leaving Cincy (he's from Texas) and Burrow who was a Saints fan and went to LSU rather than win the starting job at OSU is going to be happy to be back in Ohio.  It's all possible, but it could also be a lot of us just saying what we hope to be true.

With Burrow, if the Browns had the 1st overall pick and took him I doubt we'd be saying "Oh, he's got to be happy with that....he's gonna be in Ohio!" so I'm just trying to be objective, here.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 11:19 AM)kevin Wrote: It has indeed been the worst offensive line in the NFL since Zeitler & Whitworth left.   It went more downhill with Boling leaving.   Draft picks of Ogbuehi and Fisher didn't pan out.  Neither did bringing in Glenn.   So far drafting Price hasn't panned out either.  

Hopefully Alabama star Williams will pan out.  They just have to try again and take a Blocker at first pick in 2.   Maybe this Prince Wanogho of Aurburn to give us 2 star SEC Tackles to block for the star SEC QB and for Mixon.   Then still get a top 4-3 LB in first pick of 3,  very much like a 2nd round pick LB. 

The Bengals score no points, haven't for years now.  It was that the Defense would keep scores low, but we still lost more than we won.  Lets go the other way and put points on the board so our D isn't expected to pitch a shutout.   I'm all for the Heisman QB and Mixon behind Williams and drafting another Bell Cow Tackle high as bookend Blocking Tackles on the Outside.  We still would need to improve the inside of O Line, but it's a start.   

The Bengals can not give up on building an O Line, otherwise they might as well get out of the NFL and QUIT all together. 

Let us NOT drink the Kool Aid that this is a good O Line already.   It is the worst line in the NFL.   Accepting that there is a problem is the first step to recovery.  The O Line can be fixed, new players brought in.  Maybe Williams is a great talent that we haven't even seen yet, but ADD MORE to him.   YES, draft the QB SUPERSTAR, but as Mean Machine Longest Yard basic football,  PROTECT THE SUPERSTAR.  

Also don't be impressed how Bengals blocked against some very bad teams late in the year.  Remember the no blocking against good teams all year.   People asking why no running yards ?  Answer : No Blocking.   People asking why no passing yards ?  Answer : No Blocking....My word, they were desperate enough to bring over the hill Andre Smith back and he was awful.   Lets not pretend this is a good O Line when it Stinks.   YES, take the QB, but then take the best blocker we can get.   

I do believe the worst Bengals record ever team CAN be fixed.  Getting this QB in backfield with Mixon and Williams and another top pick Tackle would be a start on turning this mess around.   Dalton was not the worst QB in NFL, but our O Line was worst in NFL.  We remain in Last Place until we get some Blocking in here for Burrow and Mixon and Boyd and Ross.   O LINE, BUILD IT AND WINS WILL COME. 

Well I didn't say I was impressed by the O-line or that we are good there lol

Need to make a lot of moves still. Was just saying even with that shitty O-line Dalton nor Finley got hurt.

Think we should bring in a FA like Conklin and Draft OL early along with LB after we get Burrow at 1.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm just trying to be objective, here.

[Image: 940x450-Ryan-Reynold-Reaction-GIFs.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Honest question, if Ohio is so important to JB why did he go to LSU?

To Start......  i think.

What seemed to be important to burrow was helping out his home town area. While he could do it from anywhere.    It would be easier if he was already here.

At least he doesnt have to change mascots.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 05:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: [Image: 940x450-Ryan-Reynold-Reaction-GIFs.jpg]

Because if I just swallowed fanatical narratives I'd be a Steeler fan?
Reply/Quote

Someone posted an interview in another thread and somewhere in the video Burrow talks about that. His first two choices of his offers were Cincinnati and North Carolina, but in his mind he still wanted to compete for a national title, and he said when he finally talked to coach O that was it. They instantly connected in a big way. Sounds like a really smart level headed kid actually. But he still almost ended up a Bearcat.

At this point I think Joe knows he's the Bengals future QB and has already embraced it and is fine with it.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 06:55 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Someone posted an interview in another thread and somewhere in the video Burrow talks about that. His first two choices  of his offers were Cincinnati and North Carolina, but in his mind he still wanted to compete for a national title, and he said when he finally talked to coach O that was it. They instantly connected in a big way. Sounds like a really smart level headed kid actually. But he still almost ended up a Bearcat.

At this point I think Joe knows he's the Bengals future QB and has already embraced it and is fine with it.

That's fine, but "left Ohio to compete for a title" doesn't exactly translate to "wants to be here."
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 06:55 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Someone posted an interview in another thread and somewhere in the video Burrow talks about that. His first two choices  of his offers were Cincinnati and North Carolina, but in his mind he still wanted to compete for a national title, and he said when he finally talked to coach O that was it. They instantly connected in a big way. Sounds like a really smart level headed kid actually. But he still almost ended up a Bearcat.

That's fine, but "left Ohio to compete for a title" doesn't exactly translate to "wants to be here."
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 07:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's fine, but "left Ohio to compete for a title" doesn't exactly translate to "wants to be here."

Every player wants to play. He went to OSU to be in Ohio and compete for a title. He left because he wanted to show the world what he could do but he still wanted to compete on a big stage. Most players would choose LSU over Cinci in the college ranks even if they grew up in Ohio. The NFL is a lot different.

Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer had literally zero connection to Ohio and both grew up in warm weather. Cant see how this is a thing
Reply/Quote
My biggest problem with Burrow is that he mooned the spectators during the Mississippi State game    Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 07:09 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Every player wants to play. He went to OSU to be in Ohio and compete for a title. He left because he wanted to show the world what he could do but he still wanted to compete on a big stage. Most players would choose LSU over Cinci in the college ranks even if they grew up in Ohio. The NFL is a lot different.

Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer had literally zero connection to Ohio and both grew up in warm weather. Cant see how this is a thing

It's only a thing because people seem to be thinking or hoping he has some preference for playing in Ohio.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 07:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's only a thing because people seem to be thinking or hoping he has some preference for playing in Ohio.

I dont feel that way. I tihnk he's fully aware that in the NFL you play for who drafted you and he will be happy to play anywhere. If anything, he probably would prefer to play for his favorite team the Saints and groom behind his favorite QB Brees. But it doesnt go that way in the draft and all these kids know that. We have the #1 pick, so Im sure hes fully aware hes going to be our next QB and has probably already embraced it. The top QB in the draft almost always goes to a bad team.
Reply/Quote