Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So, what's wrong with Joe?
(01-15-2020, 06:55 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Someone posted an interview in another thread and somewhere in the video Burrow talks about that. His first two choices  of his offers were Cincinnati and North Carolina, but in his mind he still wanted to compete for a national title, and he said when he finally talked to coach O that was it. They instantly connected in a big way. Sounds like a really smart level headed kid actually. But he still almost ended up a Bearcat.

At this point I think Joe knows he's the Bengals future QB and has already embraced it and is fine with it.

(01-15-2020, 07:09 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Every player wants to play. He went to OSU to be in Ohio and compete for a title. He left because he wanted to show the world what he could do but he still wanted to compete on a big stage. Most players would choose LSU over Cinci in the college ranks even if they grew up in Ohio. The NFL is a lot different.

Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer had literally zero connection to Ohio and both grew up in warm weather. Cant see how this is a thing

Nice posts Bengaloo.

It is an NFL team, he wants to play on an NFL team and here he will start right off the bat and will be the main guy.

Don't understand why people make so much of it. As you say, most players would pick LSU over Cincinnati in college.

(01-15-2020, 07:16 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: My biggest problem with Burrow is that he mooned the spectators during the Mississippi State game    Tongue

Hilarious 

Poor bastid, would not like my ass hanging out on TV.

(01-15-2020, 07:36 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I dont feel that way. I tihnk he's fully aware that in the NFL you play for who drafted you and he will be happy to play anywhere. If anything, he probably would prefer to play for his favorite team the Saints and groom behind his favorite QB Brees. But it doesnt go that way in the draft and all these kids know that. We have the #1 pick, so Im sure hes fully aware hes going to be our next QB and has probably already embraced it. The top QB in the draft almost always goes to a bad team.

Bet if anything Burrow would rather play here where he has more of a chance to start. Brees looks to be around awhile.

Even if he is older, he takes great care of himself and sure didn't look like he lost it this year even if he didn't play great in 
the last Playoff game. I know i would rather go to a team where i was going to start right away.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 07:36 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I dont feel that way. I tihnk he's fully aware that in the NFL you play for who drafted you and he will be happy to play anywhere. If anything, he probably would prefer to play for his favorite team the Saints and groom behind his favorite QB Brees. But it doesnt go that way in the draft and all these kids know that. We have the #1 pick, so Im sure hes fully aware hes going to be our next QB and has probably already embraced it. The top QB in the draft almost always goes to a bad team.

I think he'd probably rather start right off the bat than sit behind Brees for a few years, no matter how much he respects that player and team.  I can see the appeal of Burrow being Mr. Cincy and being good and being drafted here, but I feel like people are looking at where he is from and not that he elected to not be a Bengals fan and that he elected to go to LSU.  I get it, the guy is our golden boy and he's going to be a good pick and QB but it seems like we are ignoring that he doesn't act like someone who is all about Ohio football.

Tom Brady didn't play for the 49ers, Pig Ben didn't play for the Browns, Dan Marino and Joe Montana didn't fight each other to play for the Steelers and so on and so forth.  

I just find it interesting that we think a guy who is from Ohio but left Ohio to play football elsewhere is more interested in playing football in Ohio than someone who isn't from Ohio.  Then again, I'm from outside of Pittsburgh and I'm a Bengals fan so perhaps I assume everyone has giant hometown issues like I do.

EDIT - Hell, I have to admit I find it somewhat amusing that his whole life people have been saying "Oh, you're from Cincinnati? You a Bengals fan?" and he's been saying "No, I'm a Saints fan." and now he's going to be a Cincinnati Bengal. It's like those who are baptized in the Ohio River are cursed to return!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 11:35 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: The system that LSU used is similar if not the same system used by the Saints. This system has made Drew Brees a Hall of Fame QB. When Bridgewater filled in for Brees earlier this year, he looked like a star as well. The question than is it the system or the QB? 

That is 3 QBs all playing in a similar system and all had a great year. How do you explain that? I'm guessing the system is QB friendly. 

If Brady stays at LSU as a coach and another QB comes in and performs similar to Brees, Burrow, and Bridgewater than it is more the system than the player. 

These are things to think about and things that Bengals have to consider when making a decision on who is their next QB. 

I'm not a scout but I try to look at the bigger picture and right now that includes systems and how a player fits into the system the Bengals are using. If none of the three top QB fit the Bengals system, drop out of the top pick and pick up additional picks. 

It may or may not be a QB friendly system.  But if it is, it's only for the really smart ones.  Joe Brady used to deliver a 12 page report on LSU's upcoming opponent to Joe Burrow every Sunday.  This report would outline everything, routes for every possible receiver, as well as blocking responsibilities for every offensive player, along with every known coverage and tendency that the upcoming opponent liked to use.  It's been said that Joe typically had that 12 page report memorized each week, before Monday practice.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 07:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice posts Bengaloo.

It is an NFL team, he wants to play on an NFL team and here he will start right off the bat and will be the main guy.

Don't understand why people make so much of it. As you say, most players would pick LSU over Cincinnati in college.

Hilarious 

Bet if anything Burrow would rather play here where he has more of a chance to start. Brees looks to be around awhile.

Even if he is older, he takes great care of himself and sure didn't look like he lost it this year even if he didn't play great in 
the last Playoff game. I know i would rather go to a team where i was going to start right away.

I totally agree. I think Brees is going to play a few more years. His game isnt really dipping much. Joe will be able to play right away here, and I also think it could help that ZT has connections to Joe's family and their Nebraska roots. That's never going to hurt the situation for sure, as far as comfortablility.

I personally think they can sell Joe on the late season success we had running the ball and the commitment to building an OL with depth. Not only will he play here, I seriously think he could really buy in. With potential AJ, Boyd, Ross, Tate, Mixon and Eifert. It shouldnt be hard for a smart QB like Joe to see some serious potential on this roster.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 07:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think he'd probably rather start right off the bat than sit behind Brees for a few years, no matter how much he respects that player and team.  I can see the appeal of Burrow being Mr. Cincy and being good and being drafted here, but I feel like people are looking at where he is from and not that he elected to not be a Bengals fan and that he elected to go to LSU.  I get it, the guy is our golden boy and he's going to be a good pick and QB but it seems like we are ignoring that he doesn't act like someone who is all about Ohio football.

Tom Brady didn't play for the 49ers, Pig Ben didn't play for the Browns, Dan Marino and Joe Montana didn't fight each other to play for the Steelers and so on and so forth.  

I just find it interesting that we think a guy who is from Ohio but left Ohio to play football elsewhere is more interested in playing football in Ohio than someone who isn't from Ohio.  Then again, I'm from outside of Pittsburgh and I'm a Bengals fan so perhaps I assume everyone has giant hometown issues like I do.

EDIT - Hell, I have to admit I find it somewhat amusing that his whole life people have been saying "Oh, you're from Cincinnati?  You a Bengals fan?" and he's been saying "No, I'm a Saints fan." and now he's going to be a Cincinnati Bengal.  It's like those who are baptized in the Ohio River are cursed to return!

I agree with what you're saying. You know Sunset posted Burrow's wiki and it said when he was younger he actually lived in North Dakota because his dad coached somewhere there. Then moved to Ohio and spent his high school years in Athens from what I remember. What I like about that is that the kid definitely grew up playing in cold weather. To me that is a plus. But in that interview where he joked about "They are going to hate me in Cincinnati" because of the Skyline thing. I just think that shows me he knows we are drafting him and is fine with it. He said it with a smile. Seems like a good dude with a sense of humor and edge about him. He honestly kind of reminds me of Boomer some.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 07:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hilarious 

I found that from an interview where they asked him about that.  He said he thought he could have broken free to run the ball or pass but he might have had his junk hanging out for all to see.  Haha

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Burrow does charity work in Athens. Going to Cincinnati may give that a good boost.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 08:06 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I totally agree. I think Brees is going to play a few more years. His game isnt really dipping much. Joe will be able to play right away here, and I also think it could help that ZT has connections to Joe's family and their Nebraska roots. That's never going to hurt the situation for sure, as far as comfortablility.

I personally think they can sell Joe on the late season success we had running the ball and the commitment to building an OL with depth. Not only will he play here, I seriously think he could really buy in. With potential AJ, Boyd, Ross, Tate, Mixon and Eifert. It shouldnt be hard for a smart QB like Joe to see some serious potential on this roster.

Think with us getting the first pick AJ might also buy in as Burrow is pretty much the sure pick.

What could AJ do with this accurate of a QB when healthy? Burrow can throw players open.

Just hoping AJ can stay healthy if we do re-sign him and he doesn't break the bank on us.

We all know the O-line is where the most money should go along with Linebacker on this team.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 08:22 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I found that from an interview where they asked him about that.  He said he thought he could have broken free to run the ball or pass but he might have had his junk hanging out for all to see.  Haha

Hilarious, I like his sense of humor too. Think us fans would take right to Burrow right out of the gate. Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 04:29 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Big Ben will be in the hall of fame when his career is over and he is similar in size to Hebert. 

You take out Tua and Burrow and you have Hebert. His performance has improved each year and this year he had almost 70% completion and 30+ TDs. That is very good production and any other year he would be the top QB and probably the 1st pick off the board. As for Burrow, his numbers jump out as he broke records.

Now many people are all about Burrow but it takes a team to win football games. You have special teams, defense and the offense. The QB does control the offense but if you don't have a good enough defense you won't win the SB. 

The other thing is finding players that fit within the schemes the Bengals use. Other than Simmons that has had great success with ST because he can coach up players, even players who never played special teams, getting a player of Burrow caliber and having him in scheme that won't allow him to reach his potential is worst than picking a player that fits the scheme and produces. 

The Bengals offense is not the same as what allowed Burrow to have such high production. So, either ZT has to modify the scheme or Burrow will have to adjust. The later is usually where top rated players simply don't pan out moreso than picking a player that does fit the scheme and he may seem like a reach. 

There are some players that flourish no matter the scheme/systems and that is because they are just that good. Others simply excel within certain scheme/systems. I'm concern Burrow is more a product of the scheme and if he came here and falls flat it wouldn't be the first player to see their talent wasted. 

Pac 12 defenses, what do you expect?

Pac 12 has become a lessor conference. They still have good players, but not enough of them to really compete for a title.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 09:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Pac 12 defenses, what do you expect?

Pac 12 has become a lessor conference. They still have good players, but not enough of them to really compete for a title.

I saw all that I needed to see of Justin Herbert, in the Arizona State game this year.  For all of his experience, he looked like a befuddled Sophomore when facing a team that had a plan against him.  All I saw from Joe Burrow, was steady improvement on anything that might have been a question in previous games.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 05:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I saw all that I needed to see of Justin Herbert, in the Arizona State game this year.  For all of his experience, he looked like a befuddled Sophomore when facing a team that had a plan against him.  All I saw from Joe Burrow, was steady improvement on anything that might have been a question in previous games.

Burrow was under a lot of pressure early in the National Title game as well.

He had to start on his own 7 yard line, then his own 4 yard line and then down 7 to nothing on the scoreboard.

He had to figure out the Clemson defense and stayed calm doing so.

He was mentally tough.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 05:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I saw all that I needed to see of Justin Herbert, in the Arizona State game this year.  For all of his experience, he looked like a befuddled Sophomore when facing a team that had a plan against him.  All I saw from Joe Burrow, was steady improvement on anything that might have been a question in previous games.

Bowl game as well; he had a great first drive (albeit, 2 throws could've been picked), which account for something like 1/3 of his total yards for the game and then crapped it up for the rest of the game, aside from using his legs.

Definite pass on Herbert.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bowl game as well; he had a great first drive (albeit, 2 throws could've been picked), which account for something like 1/3 of his total yards for the game and then crapped it up for the rest of the game, aside from using his legs.

Definite pass on Herbert.

Yeah. I'm a huge Oregon fan and I've been skeptical of his game for a while. I think he can absolutely be a good NFL QB but I never felt like he was franchise savior or #1 overall guy. I think if he goes to the Chargers, that would be perfect. Sit behind Rivers, learn from him and work on his flaws. Then he has some weapons over in LA. Even if he came here, I think he could do well because of the QB coaches and coaching we have on the staff and the weapons we have but they would have to fix the offensive line big time.

His problem is with pressure along with rushing his mechanics sometimes. He really needs to work on his way of handling pressure and staying true to his progressions/throwing motion.
Reply/Quote