Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So...where are all the interviews for Marvin Lewis?
(01-05-2019, 04:23 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I thought the second year of that two year deal was a team option.

You thought wrong. It has been confirmed by Lapham ML gets paid year 2 of the contract. Why would ML sign a contract giving the Bengals an option in year 2, he did plan on going anywhere so essentially a 1 year deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think he would've got another gig right away a few years back. I think the playoff debacle of 2015, and the 3 seasons that followed have tarnished his image to a degree. On top of that, the league is moving in a more offensive minded direction.

Marv will be alright though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis is washed up. I think most people realize this. The older generation coaches like Fisher, Lewis, and even McCarthy to a certain extent are no longer in demand. The young, creative, offensive minded coach is what people want.

With that said, I think Marvin can still be a solid D coordinator. The Bengals D at least became respectable once he took over.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 06:08 PM)jason Wrote: I think he would've got another gig right away a few years back. I think the playoff debacle of 2015, and the 3 seasons that followed have tarnished his image to a degree. On top of that, the league is moving in a more offensive minded direction.

^^^^ THIS.
Reply/Quote
I’m betting Marvin resurfaces employed in some capacity by the Cincinnati Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 02:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 8 opening currently. Has he had any visits? Rumors of visits?

Maybe he wasn't the hot commodity some thought he'd be?

not surprising, veteran coaches tend to be look at second or take a year before they come back into play if they choose. Some take a year off to let things clear through.. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 02:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 8 opening currently. Has he had any visits? Rumors of visits?

Maybe he wasn't the hot commodity some thought he'd be?

Marvin does have an interview this upcoming week as head coach...

[Image: bad-news-bears1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 07:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: Marvin does have an interview this upcoming week as head coach...

[Image: bad-news-bears1.jpg]

Merv would've told Kelly Leak to take the walk instead of swing at that outside pitch.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 06:08 PM)jason Wrote: I think he would've got another gig right away a few years back. I think the playoff debacle of 2015, and the 3 seasons that followed have tarnished his image to a degree. On top of that, the league is moving in a more offensive minded direction.

Is there any chance this offensive madness is just the current cycle and then some defensive guy will find the antidote and then things will shift back the other way, with defensive guys being the ones in demand?  Defenses usually do catch up, even with the way the league handicaps them.

The first time a team led by their defense beats one of these high powered offenses in a SB by shutting them down, the change will begin.

It may be an over simplification, but all this offense could be a phase.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 08:15 PM)McC Wrote: Is there any chance this offensive madness is just the current cycle and then some defensive guy will find the antidote and then things will shift back the other way, with defensive guys being the ones in demand?  Defenses usually do catch up, even with the way the league handicaps them.

The first time a team led by their defense beats one of these high powered offenses in a SB by shutting them down, the change will begin.

Remember Seattle beating the brakes off of Denver in the SB a few years back? I seem to recall Chicago making the Rams look pitiful a few weeks back too. I hope you're onto something. I'm a fan of defense... I miss it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Regardless of interest, I would think that Marvin would take a break this year.

After a 16 year run, I know I would want some time to decompress...
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 08:39 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Regardless of interest, I would think that Marvin would take a break this year.

After a 16 year run, I know I would want some time to decompress...

One of his mantras was "Keep grinding"....

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
He might already have a job lined up.

Mike Brown interviewing our new HC candidates "we really want you to come here BUT you have to work with Marvin as your DC and Hue as your OC. Duke, Marvin and Hue will pick our draft picks but other than that you can run the team!
Reply/Quote
Lewis was DC for a great defense of Hall of Famers. That caused him to be over hyped. Remember he went to Washington after leaving Baltimore, and wasn't impressive there.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 07:53 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Merv would've told Kelly Leak to take the walk instead of swing at that outside pitch.

Hilarious! Cause there’s so much truth to that if ButterRolls was their coach!
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 03:53 PM)pally Wrote: Marvin is a free agent.  No one has to ask permission to interview him so maybe they simply aren't being announced.  It is also possible he has turned down requests.  

Or maybe my earlier prediction might be in process.  Marvin quits, Hue gets hired as HC, and he turns around and hires Marv as DC.

Marvin did say he had "a plan" when he brought Hue in.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 09:27 PM)Destro Wrote: Lewis was DC for a great defense of Hall of Famers. That caused him to be over hyped. Remember he went to Washington after leaving Baltimore, and wasn't impressive there.

Yep, the Skins only finish 5th in the league in total defense that year.

As to the OP If Marvin wants a job; there'll be many suitors.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 08:33 PM)jason Wrote: Remember Seattle beating the brakes off of Denver in the SB a few years back? I seem to recall Chicago making the Rams look pitiful a few weeks back too. I hope you're onto something. I'm a fan of defense... I miss it.

Unfortunately I think the difference now is the NFL is pushing offense and scoring points. In the past they pushed defense and monstrous hits to gain popularity. Speaking defense, remember Jacksonville defense carrying the team last year and where they are this year? GB lost 2 games because of two BS calls on their defense. 

As to this thread; (I know this wasn't you) there were members on this board who would try to jam it down peoples throat about how good a coach Marvin was and if we got rid of him he would immediately be picked up by another team because he's so good. As of now, it looks like that may not have been totally accurate.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 11:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, the Skins only finish 5th in the league in total defense that year.

As to the OP If Marvin wants a job; there'll be many suitors.

5th in yards. They were still a losing team and couldn't turn the ball over. He came here and never won a playoff game. Doesn't take a great defensive mind to get that team to win. That was a Madden video game defense. Unreal. 

Clap, giggle and let's go chants won't do in this world. While some think highly of Marvin, the league knows what he is about and the game has passed him by in the NFL and just being around greatness doesn't make you great. Just like they have finally figured out about Jeff Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 08:15 PM)McC Wrote: Is there any chance this offensive madness is just the current cycle and then some defensive guy will find the antidote and then things will shift back the other way, with defensive guys being the ones in demand?  Defenses usually do catch up, even with the way the league handicaps them.

The league is cyclical.  Always has been.
Reply/Quote