Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...will we actually use our new weapons?
I think we all agree that our offense got a big infusion of speed in the draft. However, as always with Marvin you wind up wondering if we'll actually see that speed put out on the field and used right away.

For instance, will we put Ross out there right away and draw up plays where he can use his speed to burn a defense? Or will we see LaFell out there as the coaches claim Ross needs to "absorb the entire offense"?

And will we see Mixon out there and running plays designed to let him burn the defense with his jets? Or are we going to see Hill out there running for 2 and a cloud of dust while we get claims from the coaches that he needs to show in practice he knows the offense?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hope like hell we use our new weapons. I'm not going to go on a marvin vs. rookie past rant. I just hope we get to see them. I think if I knew deep down these players would have an immediate impact and be used to the best of their abilities, I would be so friggin stoked for the upcoming season. I think rookies tend to learn more on the field then on the bench. It's a hands on type thing and most of these guys aint rocket scientists. Many were probably tutored to get them through college so they could play football. Therefore, they are not book smart - but play smart and learn on the fly. Plus, the natural talent is immeasurable.

Again, I hope they get to play. Gio played quite a bit in his rookie season and made an immediate impact.

Reply/Quote
Ross and Mixon will absolutely be used. Plenty.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
That's the million dollar question. Ross and Mixon are both pretty polished and could plug right in and play immediately...but we have decent options in front of them. We have played rookies a lot in the past, but when there's a decent player returning, I'd say we usually make the rookies wait awhile.

I just hope they make it really hard for Marv to justify starting Hill and LaFell. It'd be a shame to have 2 impact players riding pine behind a couple of ho-hum players.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
- Ross can't actually practice until August. I expect him to be brought along slowly.

- Malone might have an interesting impact early and often as a 3rd option on the outside. I think he could be a star.

- Not based on talent, but based on general Bengals coaching practices, I expect Mixon to be a complimentary back this season, with Hill being the featured back. When Gio comes along I think Mixon gets pushed down rather than Hill.

- I like the chances on the kid Wilson on ST as a return man. He could catch hold.

- I think that the DE, Willis, might take a season or two.

- The guy I think who could make the biggest impact this season (other than, possibly, the kicker) is The Law Dog, Carl Lawson. I see him as potentially having the most impact as a rookie. I think that Carl Lawson is going to be a guy that comes on so strong that the coaches find ways to get him on the field and he produces.

- Schreck, I can see actually pushing Kroft and Uzomah. I think Schreck could be a sleeping dragon and a sneaky good pick.
Reply/Quote
If this is in fact Marvins last year I don't see any reason why he would hold this offense back. I'm more worried about Zampese and the Oline more than Marvin. His play calling left a lot to be desired and we all know how the line performed with our 2 best linemen.
Reply/Quote
It's a shame we have to ask this question but we do. Think about it, if we were most ANY other team would we have to ask? We shouldn't have to ask here either, but the question makes all the sense in the world, unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 06:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: I think we all agree that our offense got a big infusion of speed in the draft. However, as always with Marvin you wind up wondering if we'll actually see that speed put out on the field and used right away.

For instance, will we put Ross out there right away and draw up plays where he can use his speed to burn a defense? Or will we see LaFell out there as the coaches claim Ross needs to "absorb the entire offense"?

And will we see Mixon out there and running plays designed to let him burn the defense with his jets? Or are we going to see Hill out there running for 2 and a cloud of dust while we get claims from the coaches that he needs to show in practice he knows the offense?

Why would we not see LaFell playing.. Ross will play, so will LaFell.. also a draft pick does not mean that that player is just a starter right off the bat.. players have to know the system, practice hard, execute etc... 

right now you are just playing on paper... that is all a draft pick is until reality sets in.

So my answer is i believe they will earn playing time, not be just given it 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 07:23 PM)McC Wrote: Ross and Mixon will absolutely be used.  Plenty.

Agree with this.  I mean I don't think they're going to be in there 20 and 30 snaps right away, but I think they'll ease them in quickly - Lawson too in pass rushing situations.  They're going to make an impact right away.  And their roles will gradually expand as the season goes along.  I'm very excited about these dudes.
Reply/Quote
Marvin has publicly said more than once that a player's game time depends on how well he practices. I'd be surprised if that changes.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Nothing in our recent past shows that we will use ROSS/MIXON 'plenty'

Unless there is an injury and/or Gio isn't ready to go, expect to see them around 20-30% of the snaps

Reply/Quote
I just want ross 100% healthy before he touches the practice/playing field.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 11:06 PM)magikod Wrote: I just want ross 100% healthy before he touches the practice/playing field.

^
This X2!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 08:13 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - Ross can't actually practice until August. I expect him to be brought along slowly.

Why?

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 11:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why?

He's recovering from shoulder surgery.

"On February 10, 2017, it was revealed that Ross was diagnosed with a torn labrum in his shoulder. He injured his shoulder earlier during the 2016 season, and re-aggravated it on December 31 in a loss against Alabama. The injury required surgery, but Ross decided to put it on hold until after the NFL Scouting Combine and pro day workouts" - from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ross_(American_football)
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 11:46 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: He's recovering from shoulder surgery.

"On February 10, 2017, it was revealed that Ross was diagnosed with a torn labrum in his shoulder. He injured his shoulder earlier during the 2016 season, and re-aggravated it on December 31 in a loss against Alabama. The injury required surgery, but Ross decided to put it on hold until after the NFL Scouting Combine and pro day workouts" - from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ross_(American_football)

What happened to the good 'ol days when they shot these guys up with pain killers, and sent them on out there?   Ninja   Seriously, they need to let him fully heal.  He's not the biggest guy on the roster.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
This years WIII?

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 09:41 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Marvin has publicly said more than once that a player's game time depends on how well he practices. I'd be surprised if that changes.

I can understand that Ross may take a little while to find his niche because WR's take a little longer to develop but if Mixon cant come in and take away time from Hill immediately then we messed up bad with that pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 12:13 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: I can understand that Ross may take a little while to find his niche because WR's take a little longer to develop but if Mixon cant come in and take away time from Hill immediately then we messed up bad with that pick.

True, and like I said earlier, if this is Marvin's last stand here. After this coming season he will be known as "The coach who drafted Mixon" even though we all know it's Tobin with Browns stamp of approval. Let's just hope he's worth the hype, well the good hype that is. I hope he's awesome and bumps Hill down to more of a Goal line runner. That's where he's best anyway.
Reply/Quote
Mixon will split carries with Hill. Hill will get the opportunity to go, as his last 'chance'. Gio will be used on third downs, as he should be.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote