Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So you're saying there's a chance...
I know, they haven't even played their 1st game yet this postseason, but what the hell, here's some interesting info I came across concerning the 4th seed...

Since 1975, 11% of 4th seeds have made it to the Super Bowl (3rd most by seed) and 5 have won it, with 4 being from the AFC. This is the 3rd time the Bengals have had the 4th seed (1975/2009). Here are the percentages by seed:

#1 Seed - 54.4%
#2 Seed - 21.7%
#3 Seed - 4.4%
#4 Seed - 10.9%
#5 Seed - 4.4%
#6 Seed - 4.4%

Like CJ said - 'why not us?' 
Reply/Quote
These numbers will all change in future years with the added 7th seed. Will be interesting to compare these numbers with the ones over the next 5+ seasons to see where the change really goes in. I’d think with the added team and loss of the 2nd seed bye week the first seeds will go up another chunk and 2nd seed falls. 7th will likely be low but I could also see some of the middle seeds faring a little better with a more worn down/injured 2nd seed possibly being less effective even if they win WC round.

I don’t think there are really any teams in the AFC playoffs that I would feel like underdogs against except KC and we already proved we can beat them.
I’d feel like we should be about even with any other team if not favored.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have played against 6 playoff teams going 4-2 in those games

Lost to GB and 49ers,......both games in OT.

There is definitely chance.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 06:18 PM)Go Cards Wrote: The Bengals have played 6 against playoff teams going 4-2 in those games

Lost to GB and 49ers,......both games in OT.

There is definitely chance.

just depends which version of our team shows up lol... There were a little more consistant down the stretch lets hope the week off helped and didnt hinder.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 06:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: just depends which version of our team shows up lol... There were a little more consistant down the stretch lets hope the week off helped and didnt hinder.

KC is the one venue I want to avoid in the playoffs. It's the one place I would not feel confident being able to  come out with a win.  Maybe Pittsburgh(doubtful) and/or Covid  will increase the odds in our favor by dispatching of the dreaded Chiefs.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 06:47 PM)Science Friction Wrote: KC is the one venue I want to avoid in the playoffs. It's the one place I would not feel confident being able to  come out with a win.  Maybe Pittsburgh(doubtful) and/or Covid  will increase the odds in our favor by dispatching of the dreaded Chiefs.

IDK, they've scored 24 points or less 6 times in 9 home games, while scoring 30 or more in 6 of their 8 road games.

Now, they have had a really good defensive stretch at home...but outside of the Raiders, it was against the Giants, an injured Cowboys offense, the Packers without Rodgers, the Broncos offense and the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 06:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: just depends which version of our team shows up lol... There were a little more consistant down the stretch lets hope the week off helped and didnt hinder.

Agree 100% and Bengals did Jekyll and Hyde it this year by losing a couple just when things looked great and then in turn winning big when things were looking bleak. 

Yet Bengals showed up against all 6 of the playoff teams they faced this season and expect them to do the same against Raiders.  

Who Dey

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
[Image: 249668c7de0effd72fbc3886ef5de06c.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals are going to win it all this year. It just feels like that kind of team
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Screw the “stats” we’ve beat the best teams in the league. When we come to play and defense shows up we are unstoppable
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 09:58 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: [Image: 249668c7de0effd72fbc3886ef5de06c.jpg]

Dude, your post is riveting.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 05:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I know, they haven't even played their 1st game yet this postseason, but what the hell, here's some interesting info I came across concerning the 4th seed...

Since 1975, 11% of 4th seeds have made it to the Super Bowl (3rd most by seed) and 5 have won it, with 4 being from the AFC. This is the 3rd time the Bengals have had the 4th seed (1975/2009). Here are the percentages by seed:

#1 Seed - 54.4%
#2 Seed - 21.7%
#3 Seed - 4.4%
#4 Seed - 10.9%
#5 Seed - 4.4%
#6 Seed - 4.4%

Like CJ said - 'why not us?' 

Good stuff, Holic.

I would bet a lot of money that the #1 seed will not make the Super Bowl this year (in the AFC).  Even if they have Henry back, and I love Vrabel as a coach.

Right now, they are playing as well as any team in the NFL and if they can stay healthy, they have a great chance of making a real run here.  

First up, they must face the dark side and the ghost of John Madden.  I think they get it done.
Reply/Quote

I think getting the pseudo bye week was enormous.  I credit the Bengals for playing it smart and resting essentially all the starters.  It hasn't been mentioned how huge an advantage this may be very much by the media.

When they beat Denver with their backs against the wall and destroyed the "not as weak as the Bengals made them look judging by their next opponent" Ravens, they were rolling.   Then, the comeback against the Chiefs and how they adjusted in the 2nd half against them. 

They are playing confident, are relatively healthy, and everyone from the players to the coaches seem to be hitting their stride at exactly the right time.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 08:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dude, your post is riveting.

Rep.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Last two Giants Super Bowl Champions were 9 win and 10 win wild card teams. And they best Patriot teams that were 16-0 and 13-3.

'04 Steelers go 15-1 and didn't even make the Super Bowl. Next season they win it as a 11-5 wildcard team.

We are healthy and we are hot. That is what counts right now.
Reply/Quote