Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So you think Marvin should be fired?
My Daily SportsLine popped up with the headline: THIS NFL COACH IS GETTING FIRED NEXT, so of course I had to check it out. Gotta say is was surprised and not real happy when I seen they listed their top 10 and Marvin was nowhere to be found. McCarthy, Harbaugh, even Shurmur and McDermott made the list but no mention of Marvin, let alone odds on him. Not surprising really, unfortunately as most of us know even if we don't want to admit it, Marvin isn't going anywhere. Even if he does, Mike Brown has what could be perhaps the only worse replacement he could find without dragging Jeff Fisher out of mothballs. Read em and weep:

For a brief moment in time, it looked like former Browns head coach Hue Jackson might be safe. After one win in two seasons, the Browns got off to a 2-2-1 start and Jackson's odds of being the first NFL coach fired move from +400 to +1000.

However, three weeks and three losses later, along with rumors that Jackson and No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield weren't on the same page, and Jackson was the first coach to go this season. Now, oddsmakers are looking ahead at who might be the next coach to go.

There are a number of teams who have underperformed this season and several coaches under a microscope. So here are a look at the odds for who is expected to go next.

Odds courtesy of YouWager.eu for informational purposes and not available for live action currently.

Who will be the next NFL coach to be fired in 2018?

Steve Wilks +400
Todd Bowles +425
Mike McCarthy +450
John Harbaugh +500
Vance Joseph +700
Dirk Koetter +750
Doug Marrone +800
Adam Gase +800
Pat Shurmur +1000
Sean McDermott +2500
Reply/Quote
Everybody knows Mike isn't going to fire Merv. He needed fired a decade ago.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sure, Marvin should have been fired after the second Playoff loss to the Texans. But, we all know how things operate around here. Until they decide that an autonomous GM is in order for the organization, nothing will change.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 09:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, Marvin should have been fired after the second Playoff loss to the Texans. 

We were a 10 win team with the #22 offense and we only lost by 6 points playing on the road against a 13 win team with the 7th ranked offense and 7th ranked defense in the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 09:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Everybody knows Mike isn't going to fire Merv. He needed fired a decade ago.

Exactly.  Those odds are not based on who "deserves" to get fired.  They are based on who might actually get fired.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 09:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We were a 10 win team with the #22 offense and we only lost by 6 points playing on the road against a 13 win team with the 7th ranked offense and 7th ranked defense in the league.

So the season is an automatic success if we make the playoffs, but heaven forbid we expect to win there .
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 10:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So the season is an automatic success if we make the playoffs, but heaven forbid we expect to win there .

Is there supposed to be a point to this?

The 2012 Bengals team was a good bit better than the 2011 team.  We were improving.  Even though we did not win the Super Bowl I don't think the coach should get fired in that situation.  An overwhelming majority of teams that improve from one year to the next and make the playoffs keep their head coach.  That is a fact.

I can understand the argument that Marvin should have been fired after the loss to the Chargers or maybe even the loss to the Steelers, but I don't see firing Marvin after the 2012 season.  We were improving and we lost a close game to a better team on the road.

The Titans fired their coach after winning a playoff game last year and look what happened to them.
Reply/Quote
Marvin needed to be fired during the bush administration he’s an absolute joke. I never thought I would say this but thank god for Steven a smith sounding off about our terrible ownership, coaches, and the state of this franchise. He uses his platform nicely to say what we all want to say as bengal fans. I hope he keeps it up till changes are made.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, Marvin should've been gone years ago. The only thing possibly even more depressing is that Hue Jackson may take over if Marv actually does get the boot. Seriously, what the hell.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
I do think Marvin should be fired. Most other team would have fired him a long time ago and those who may have hung onto him certainly would have after last year.

But we all know that what's the #1 all important and overriding thing to Mike Brown is, and that's his own comfort level. The guy has made so many bad decisions that he's scared to death of making any decision at all. So just keep everything as it is. It's comfortable.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2018, 01:49 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I do think Marvin should be fired. Most other team would have fired him a long time ago and those who may have hung onto him certainly would have after last year.

But we all know that what's the #1 all important and overriding thing to Mike Brown is, and that's his own comfort level. The guy has made so many bad decisions that he's scared to death of making any decision at all. So just keep everything as it is. It's comfortable.

Honest posts like this are why the Old Bengals board is gone. Thank goodness we have a much better place to express our opinions and how we really feel about our team! Many thanks to Bengalholic and his supporting cast!!
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2018, 02:34 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Honest posts like this are why the Old Bengals board is gone. Thank goodness we have a much better place to express our opinions and how we really feel about our team! Many thanks to Bengalholic and his supporting cast!!

I second that!

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 11:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is there supposed to be a point to this?

The 2012 Bengals team was a good bit better than the 2011 team.  We were improving.  Even though we did not win the Super Bowl I don't think the coach should get fired in that situation.  An overwhelming majority of teams that improve from one year to the next and make the playoffs keep their head coach.  That is a fact.

I can understand the argument that Marvin should have been fired after the loss to the Chargers or maybe even the loss to the Steelers, but I don't see firing Marvin after the 2012 season.  We were improving and we lost a close game to a better team on the road.

The Titans fired their coach after winning a playoff game last year and look what happened to them.

I don't see the point in firing Marvin ever, actually.  He's just going to be replaced by someone else who will tow the Mike Brown line.

The play off thing just goes back how bitterly amusing it is that our golden age was 5 straight 12th place finishes. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2018, 09:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't see the point in firing Marvin ever, actually.  He's just going to be replaced by someone else who will tow the Mike Brown line.

The play off thing just goes back how bitterly amusing it is that our golden age was 5 straight 12th place finishes. 

What should be the cutoff point?  28th place?  Or we could simply reference previous seasons theyve qualified for the playoffs in hard times such as these.  Throw in some useless stats for good measure to silence the naysayers perhaps?  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 11:56 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Marvin needed to be fired during the bush administration he’s an absolute joke. I never thought I would say this but thank god for Steven a smith sounding off about our terrible ownership, coaches, and the state of this franchise. He uses his platform nicely to say what we all want to say as bengal fans. I hope he keeps it up till changes are made.

Has S A Smith not been doing this for years?

He is not going anywhere due to the media, for me only way I can see it happening is if attendances continue to drop or someone like Green speaks out.  But it he won't.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 09:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, Marvin should have been fired after the second Playoff loss to the Texans.  But, we all know how things operate around here.  Until they decide that an autonomous GM is in order for the organization, nothing will change.

Marvin Lewis will finish out his contract and he will help pick his next head coach which will be Hue Jackson. Team will make playoffs next season.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2018, 12:16 PM)LondonWhoDey Wrote: Has S A Smith not been doing this for years?

He is not going anywhere due to the media, for me only way I can see it happening is if attendances continue to drop or someone like Green speaks out.  But it he won't.

AJ Green speaking out about Marvin Lewis or how things aren't being addressed properly are about the only thing that would put pressure on this FO.

I would've thrown Andy Dalton in there because he's a low key good guy team player...  but I didn't because fans/media/whomever would pounce on his lousy stats and performances in playoffs and rightfully so.  Even though that's not the point.

Green would never do it though.

Chad and Carson got vocal but they weren't necessarily loved by all...  if you know what I mean. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2018, 09:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't see the point in firing Marvin ever, actually.  He's just going to be replaced by someone else who will tow the Mike Brown line.

Dem 5 straight 12th place finishes are looking pretty good right now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This question is over 10 years late.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2018, 12:54 PM)jason Wrote: Dem 5 straight 12th place finishes are looking pretty good right now.

Ehh, I'm ok if we don't get to lose to the Texans in the first round this year.
Reply/Quote