Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sobriety check points
(09-10-2016, 11:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Driving on public roads is a privilege that has to be earned; it is not a right.

If you don't want to be subject to sobriety checks take the bus. If you are stopped you still have protection from illegal search.

you pay taxes to drive on the road. That's not a privilege, its getting what you pay for.

I'm not in favor of dui checkpoints, but I'm not much in favor of most dui laws. I dont drink and drive, even if I've had one in the last couple hours. But I could without much impairment because I'm not a 50 lb teenager. Legally, though, that one beer could be too much even if all I'm doing is just driving between the lines and not running anyone over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-10-2016, 03:11 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: And I earned it when I got my license.  That doesn't give the police the right to stop me for no reason what so ever.

You are correct, earning your license doesn't give the police to stop you for no reason. Ensuring safety on public roads does. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-10-2016, 05:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You are correct, earning your license doesn't give the police to stop you for no reason. Ensuring safety on public roads does. 

True, but does that include, in your opinion, stopping people with no probable cause?  Not in my opinion.
(09-10-2016, 04:47 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If they weren't advertised, they would be illegal. 

They must inform the public because they're not suppose to be able to pull you over for no reason. 

Also, if you go through one, you are doing so voluntarily. You have the opportunity to avoid them before hand. 
Like I said before I don't check to see where They're at before I go out.  And I'm certainly not going to turn around within sight of it, that's just begging them to follow you.
(09-10-2016, 04:57 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote:  I'd bet, (in fact I'm sure I've read the stats) that sobriety check points nab more people with warrants and such, than they do drunk drivers. It's a ruse I tell ya... A way for LEO's to randomly stop unsuspecting citizens. They are trying very very hard to pass laws where they can stop and search anyone at anytime for any reason. They already do this in NYC and it's coming to a neighborhood near you before too long. 
I don't usually buy into slippery slope arguments, but this one I do.
(09-10-2016, 05:40 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: True, but does that include, in your opinion, stopping people with no probable cause?  Not in my opinion.

Depends on what you consider probable cause. If it is a location and time that drunk driving is more prevalent; then there could be probable cause to check. Once they determine that there is not probable cause they you are drinking, you go about your business. Don't want to go through one, turn around. 

You've earned the privilege to drive, thee government has the right to ensure you are doing it in a manner that doesn't endanger others.

(09-10-2016, 05:14 PM)Benton Wrote: you pay taxes to drive on the road. That's not a privilege, its getting what you pay for.

My son pays no taxes and he drives on public roads. Are you suggesting the unemployed do not get to drive on public roads?

(09-10-2016, 05:40 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: True, but does that include, in your opinion, stopping people with no probable cause?  Not in my opinion.

If it was stopping random drivers, that would be different.  If they're stopping everyone, it's just a mild inconvenience and the you're on your way.

This is not the slippery slope to a police state.  It rounds up law breakers.  Nothing wrong with that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

I wonder how many drunk drivers actually get caught at these things.

I don't like the idea of them, but I hate them less than those "Sovereign citizen" dumbasses who give cops a hard time at them.
(09-10-2016, 06:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My son pays no taxes and he drives on public roads. Are you suggesting the unemployed do not get to drive on public roads?

he doesn't buy gas?
(09-10-2016, 06:40 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I wonder how many drunk drivers actually get caught at these things.

I don't like the idea of them, but I hate them less than those "Sovereign citizen" dumbasses who give cops a hard time at them.

in my area, very few. It's mostly just in hopes of catch the chronically dumb with paraphernalia in plain sight or finding someone with an outstanding warrant.
@RB7

They are not 'technically' allowed to chase you. That's why they advertise the place and time. They are not suppose to be allowed to Leave that zone. That's why they'll tell you, you volunteered. 

Also,  This isn't a slippery slope.  The gov't is out to capture the rights The People fought hard for. If you don't believe me, pay more attention. (I'm so terribly sorry for being concise, I swear I'm fun AF in real life). It's just that I must get to the point ( or possibly, the Chinese websites I peruse)  Either way, read beyond the front pages. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(09-10-2016, 03:11 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I hear this a lot that it's "advertised".   Where?  It's not on the TV or radio.  And I don't check the internet for check points before I go out, nor should I have to IMO.
I had no problem, but I'm a strait white male. Mellow
And that is exactly my problem with it.
The area I went through is Mariemont it is a well off part of Cincinnati.  Lot's of rich white folk, low crime, and for some reason a heavy police presence.  They are pretty notorious for being petty about things like going 1 or 2 miles over the speed limit.  I generally don't like to go through there but they have a movie theatre that I like because it shows a lot of smaller lesser known indie films.  Anyway my point is there is not a lot of crime there and this is not a case of Mariemont cops being proactive.  This is a case of Mariemont cops being Mariemont cops.
As I learned last night.
Meh...I have a couple of beers after work almost nightly.  I'm not drunk when I leave the bar, but an over zealous cop could absolutely ruin my life if he chose to.  And I doubt these check points really prevent these tragedies.

And I earned it when I got my license.  That doesn't give the police the right to stop me for no reason what so ever.
There is a difference between drunk driving and the legal blood alcohol limit...

.08 isn't exactly drunk.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(09-10-2016, 07:34 PM)Benton Wrote: he doesn't buy gas?

Nope..

I will say your stance is remarkably refreshing. You get the right because you pay for it. You'll be conservative before you know it; but your stance is maybe too far right.

(09-10-2016, 06:07 PM)McC Wrote: If it was stopping random drivers, that would be different.  If they're stopping everyone, it's just a mild inconvenience and the you're on your way.

This is not the slippery slope to a police state.  It rounds up law breakers.  Nothing wrong with that.

Rounding up rule breakers by treating everyone like a criminal until they prove their innocence is literally the definition of a police state.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(09-10-2016, 08:34 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: @RB7

They are not 'technically' allowed to chase you. That's why they advertise the place and time. They are not suppose to be allowed to Leave that zone. That's why they'll tell you, you volunteered. 

Also,  This isn't a slippery slope.  The gov't is out to capture the rights The People fought hard for. If you don't believe me, pay more attention. (I'm so terribly sorry for being concise, I swear I'm fun AF in real life). It's just that I must get to the point ( or possibly, the Chinese websites I peruse)  Either way, read beyond the front pages. 
So, do you visit /x/ on the Vietnamese knitting boards ?
Ninja

Anyway.... the highway patrol will chase the cats that avoid the stop, in my area.
There was one half a block from my house and we watched it all night.
We'd wave and yell at people to turn and run away...lol

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(09-10-2016, 10:08 PM)jason Wrote: There is a difference between drunk driving and the legal blood alcohol limit...

.08 isn't exactly drunk.

And they can still give you a DUI citation even if you're below .08.  It's completely at the discretion of the officer. 
(09-10-2016, 10:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope..

I will say your stance is remarkably refreshing. You get the right because you pay for it. You'll be conservative before you know it; but your stance is maybe too far right.
I'm not sure what he's driving that requires no gas. Or licensing.

as far as the other, you're very liberal with your praise, but I've always sided with individual rights.
(09-10-2016, 11:07 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Rounding up rule breakers by treating everyone like a criminal until they prove their innocence is literally the definition of a police state.

If they're treating everyone like a criminal where you are, then your checkpoints are way different than ours.  Or might you be just a tad too sensitive?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(09-10-2016, 03:33 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: So does everyone here check to see where check points are for the night before they go out?

No.

But you will love this. Locally these checkpoints are coordinated between multiple police agencies. Someone in one of those agencies came up with a name for their DUI "team" and it is "the Wolfpack." So, there will be announcements in the local paper that "the Wolfpack" will be patrolling x,y, z areas tonight or this weekend. I never read the local paper, so I never see the notices there, but I have multiple friends (some work in the service industry, some own bars, and some are patrons) who always post the info. on Facebook.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-11-2016, 02:39 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm not sure what he's driving that requires no gas. Or licensing.

as far as the other, you're very liberal with your praise, but I've always sided with individual rights.

Sure the vehicle he drives requires gas; it's just he doesn't buy it. 

Individual rights as long as they pay for them, right?

How ever you want to twist it: as I said driving is a privilege; not something that is owed to you because you pay taxes.