Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solid State Drive?
Hello. anybody else here use a solid state drive in their computer? These things are fast as hell. I bought a $500 desktop at Costco to replace an older desktop that took a dump. (Ended up being 3 ram sticks went bad). Anyway, this new desktop, (HP, running win 10), came with a 1 TB hard drive in it. I replaced it with a Crucial 500 gig SSD. I made the 1 TB drive the slave drive. Easy to clone your existing HD to the SSD. (I used a USB adapter.) This thing is fast as hell. I boot up in windows in 15 seconds. I use CCleaner every couple of days to clean up my drives. My old desktop would take 3 to 5 minutes. With this SSD drive, it only takes 20 seconds. This Crucial SSD only cost me $109. Definitely something to consider if replacing a drive. Thank you for your time. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Hmm Hmmmm...
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If I only knew half of what you just said, I would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in computers.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 09:41 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If I only knew half of what you just said, I would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in computers.

I'm with you Dog.

The last time I heard the word Ram used so often was when Chris Everett and Eric Dickerson used to play for them. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I use a 2 TB SSD drive for my xbox.... enjoy them very much
Reply/Quote
Is it the new drive that makes it so much faster than the old PC, or the fact that it is a new machine which hasn't got cluttered with all of the inevitable junk files and programs yet?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
FYI I need BBQ ASAP.
Reply/Quote
I have a SSD in my laptop, and conventional hard disk as the slave drive. It is pretty damn fast for startup, but alas in my case it is a small drive and really only has the operating system on it.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 02:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm with you Dog.

The last time I heard the word Ram used so often was when Chris Everett and Eric Dickerson used to play for them. 

I keep thinking Chrysler products myself .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Wait till you get the mandatory windows update that states: You MUST update to CRAP before proceeding to the next step of slowing down to a crawl!

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Anyone remember when solid state just meant it didn't have vacuum tubes?  

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 08:39 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Is it the new drive that makes it so much faster than the old PC, or the fact that it is a new machine which hasn't got cluttered with all of the inevitable junk files and programs yet?

That's actually one of the big things with SSD over HDD.

SSD doesn't have to spin around to the data so even though the data still fragments it doesn't have to spin to search for it making it quicker. Which also means you don't have to Defrag an SSD. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 09:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I have a SSD in my laptop, and conventional hard disk as the slave drive. 

I once had an STD in a lapdance and conventional hard dick as the slave driver.
Reply/Quote