Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solomon Wilcots: "I'm really concerned"
(08-27-2015, 10:15 PM)jason Wrote: How many people do you suppose watched that game?  I've yet to hear a single person outside of this board discuss it.  Hell I didn't even watch most of it.  It was on, but didn't really capture my attention.

Several announcers/analysts including Jaws, Jackson, Golic on ESPN commented that it was an embarrassing, lackluster performance. Words to that effect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 10:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Several announcers/analysts including Jaws, Jackson, Golic on ESPN commented that it was an embarrassing, lackluster performance. Words to that effect.

Hue Jackson didn't like it either.....he must be one of us "dumbasses that doesn't know football".....

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/On-to-Chicago/38a8f5cc-3aab-4401-afd8-0b9bb16ea1ba

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Bengals need to beat Oakland.

That is all that matters, all the other commentary is filler. Nothing of any meaning has happened yet.

Oakland, West coast trip that is all
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 11:21 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Bengals need to beat Oakland.

That is all that matters, all the other commentary is filler. Nothing of any meaning has happened yet.

Oakland, West coast trip that is all

I'm going to one-up you on the optimism and say even if we do lose to Oakland it "doesn't count" because we can still go 15-1! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 11:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Again, the ratbirds laid a bigger egg against the Eagles....and Flacco was flaccid, again.  Yet, they are the favorite to win our division?  Who is their WR?  Do they expect to be able to catch lightning in a bottle again at RB now that Kubiak is gone?  They also lost, IMHO, the heart and soul of their defense in Ngata.  

This might sound like a huge deflection from the Bengal's poor outing, but isn't this common on many top tier teams?  How DO they get fired up for a meaningless preseason game?  The team got out of the game, for the most part, injury free.  That makes me happier than anything else.  

I still believe this is the best Bengals team we have had, possibly ever....at least when Burfict returns.

It would probably say even less about them as a team, if they all came out like 'we gotta win this exhibition game - and at all costs'.
Reply/Quote
I like Solomon Wilcots, and respect his opinion - but things change in the NFL. A lot of players come up injured and on IR for the year - just from pre-season play or practice.

To that end, I do not share his concern at this point, and respectfully disagree with some of his conclusions.

There are other quality teams already this year, who are more concerned about overall health, than they are about the scoring outcome of a meaningless exhibition game.

I have no worries that when the offense and defense turn it on for real, that it will become evident that they are serious.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 11:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hue Jackson didn't like it either.....he must be one of us "dumbasses that doesn't know football".....

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/On-to-Chicago/38a8f5cc-3aab-4401-afd8-0b9bb16ea1ba

Has anyone told him it was just a preseason game and that there's no reason to worry?

Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think he's just trying to light a fire under their asses. He saw what we all saw – a team that wasn't determined to do everything possible to win every snap. Granted it was preseason, and I'm not worried, but they didn't play with the same level of intensity as the Bucs. It will be different against the Bears.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I really hope I don't see many of you being hypocrites and downplaying it if the Bengals come out and destroy the Bears with their first team this weekend.

Soooooo many condescending attitudes over the past week on here, it's been amazing to watch so many old time, legitimate posters go full blown holier than thou. There are a bunch of people that I really didn't expect this from.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 02:24 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I really hope I don't see many of you being hypocrites and downplaying it if the Bengals come out and destroy the Bears with their first team this weekend.

Soooooo many condescending attitudes over the past week on here, it's been amazing to watch so many old time, legitimate posters go full blown holier than thou. There are a bunch of people that I really didn't expect this from.

I agree wholeheartedly. Its really pissed me off with the attitude around here.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
This Tampa game, even though it was just a preseason game, was one of those WTH games. Then again, it's hard to be all that concerned when it's just a preseason game.

We'll have to wait for the final two preseason games to make any kind of informed opinion about how the season will go.

That first game though, that first game out West, by the end of that game we'll all know how the season may turn out.

Crazy to think that a preseason game might be a "Wake Up Call" for the Bengals, but that lack of effort from this team, is a little concerning.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 02:24 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I really hope I don't see many of you being hypocrites and downplaying it if the Bengals come out and destroy the Bears with their first team this weekend.

My problem with the Buc game is that it followed a well-established trend of this team completely wetting the bed in primetime.  I'm not too concerned with losing in the preseason but I am concerned with how we lose in the preseason.

If we beat the Bears we would have done in my opinion what we should have done.    
Reply/Quote
wait why is he confused when so many homers here said that the preseason didnt mean anything? Are the homers lying to us or is Solomon clueless?
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 02:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree wholeheartedly. Its really pissed me off with the attitude around here.

I completely understand the cause for concern, and I also understand the bit of bashing to a certain new member that has been telling everyone they "don't have football knowledge". I get that the team was lackluster last week, but man, it has really been bringing out some interesting attitudes if you try to tell them that this shit happens with tons of good teams every year.

(08-28-2015, 03:23 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: My problem with the Buc game is that it followed a well-established trend of this team completely wetting the bed in primetime.  I'm not too concerned with losing in the preseason but I am concerned with how we lose in the preseason.

You're exactly the kind of person my comment is directed at. If we win, it means jack shit because "we're supposed to be good", but if we lose, you get to cry about it. It must be nice getting into debates when you play every side where you can't be wrong Rolleyes

There was absolutely a lack of effort in the Bucs game. Should the coaching staff be mad about it? Probably. Should the fans be acting like it's the end of the world because of it? Probably not.

It's the overreactions that are making a lot of you sound ridiculous. I have my concerns too, but there's definitely a more sensible way to display them than what 90% of this board has been doing since the Bucs game. You'd think we got blown out in a damn playoff game again with how you guys are talking.
Reply/Quote
I probly overreacted a bit, but then again I cant see this squad winning the Super Bowl. I guess it just reminded me of that before the season began, as meaningless of a scrimmage as it was.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 03:23 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: My problem with the Buc game is that it followed a well-established trend of this team completely wetting the bed in primetime.  I'm not too concerned with losing in the preseason but I am concerned with how we lose in the preseason.

This.

(08-28-2015, 03:49 PM)djs7685 Wrote: You're exactly the kind of person my comment is directed at. If we win, it means jack shit because "we're supposed to be good", but if we lose, you get to cry about it. It must be nice getting into debates when you play every side where you can't be wrong Rolleyes

There was absolutely a lack of effort in the Bucs game. Should the coaching staff be mad about it? Probably. Should the fans be acting like it's the end of the world because of it? Probably not.

It's the overreactions that are making a lot of you sound ridiculous. I have my concerns too, but there's definitely a more sensible way to display them than what 90% of this board has been doing since the Bucs game. You'd think we got blown out in a damn playoff game again with how you guys are talking.

Do you not agree with what he said? What was unreasonable about it? We all know what the expectations are for this team. That's why they don't get massive props for doing what's expected (winning) but there is valid concern for the abysmal performance we just saw in a nationally televised game. No one is "acting like it's the end of the world". I still think the Bengals will probably have a winning season.

But that kind of performance in a nationally televised game is kind of a sore subject with the fans. I would've thought you'd understand why. Hue Jackson certainly isn't blowing it off as if it's nothing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This.

Do you not agree with what he said? What was unreasonable about it? We all know what the expectations are for this team. That's why they don't get massive props for doing what's expected (winning) but there is valid concern for the abysmal performance we just saw in a nationally televised game. No one is "acting like it's the end of the world". I still think the Bengals will probably have a winning season.

But that kind of performance in a nationally televised game is kind of a sore subject with the fans. I would've thought you'd understand why. Hue Jackson certainly isn't blowing it off as if it's nothing.

Exactly !

It's not that we lost, it's how and when we lost.

Another totally dysfunctional game under the spotlight that just cemented the fact that we crap our pants anytime the lights are on !

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that. Some chose to keep making the preseason aspect of it important just to keep stirring the pot. Preseason and or losing isn't the issue, but they don't get it ???
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This.

I wouldn't say "no one".

I've heard that Andy sucks. Gio sucks. A.J. is no longer top 10. Our offensive line was "proven to not be good". I've heard many other things because of a preseason game.....seriously. I don't know how you can sit here and say that nobody is overreacting.

I have a huge problem with what he said, he's playing the side where he can't lose and is basically allowed to be a hypocrite. If we win, oh well, shrug that off. If we lose, make a huge ordeal about effort. That's ridiculous. Either act like looking good and looking bad in preseason BOTH matter, or neither. I understand that it's not all about winning and losing, but either make the effort an equally big deal on both sides or on neither side. Give them props when they're successful and not just run to bash them when they're not. I keep my same feelings about certain things no matter what, I can't see how that's so difficult for everybody else. Preseason games don't matter to you guys when we look good, but they matter when we don't? Pffftt, get outta here with that logic. I'm sorry, I can't play that way.

There have been huge overreactions to this preseason game. You saying that nobody is acting that way is a flat out lie and I can probably find dozens of quotes to prove that to be incorrect.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 03:49 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I completely understand the cause for concern, and I also understand the bit of bashing to a certain new member that has been telling everyone they "don't have football knowledge". I get that the team was lackluster last week, but man, it has really been bringing out some interesting attitudes if you try to tell them that this shit happens with tons of good teams every year.

You're exactly the kind of person my comment is directed at. If we win, it means jack shit because "we're supposed to be good", but if we lose, you get to cry about it. It must be nice getting into debates when you play every side where you can't be wrong Rolleyes

I agree..the problem with  Who Dey and others is that they think this was an actual "primetime game"
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 03:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh so you know football huh ? And none of us do ? Curious

What separates the Bengals from the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, etc. is they already have winning traditions established in PT, Playoffs etc. We don't !

We need to be doing it better than the other guy, a lot better ! I love the guys that try and act like our (just barely making the playoffs and getting out @$$e$ handed to us) is some sort of rack to hang our hat on - IT ISN"T there Mr. all powerful football wizard.

We went out there just like we do in like 89% of our PT, must win, playoff type games and looked like we didn't have a clue and worse didn't care ! That's the part that's upsetting. Not the stats, not the ints, not the fumbles, not the final score.

The indifference to being embarrassed on the national stage again.
dude ..I agree with you about the playoffs and if Cincinnati does not win some this year I would imagine there will be some definitive changes..

But again,  whether it be you are anyone else thinking that this was some "primetime game"..take your nmeds and deal with reality. Furthermore, if you do your research you will see that there were Bengals teams in the past that won a divsional title and stunk in the preseason..this along with many other successful franchises as you spoke to

WAKE UP DUDE IT WAS NOT A PRIMETIME Wink GAME
Reply/Quote