Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solomon Wilcots: "I'm really concerned"
(08-28-2015, 04:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

It's not that we lost, it's how and when we lost.

Another totally dysfunctional game under the spotlight that just cemented the fact that we crap our pants anytime the lights are on !

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that. Some chose to keep making the preseason aspect of it important just to keep stirring the pot. Preseason and or losing isn't the issue, but they don't get it ???

lol@ under the spotlight..it was preseason..sorry you cant deal with it
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown to Coach Lewis before the Tampa Game..".Use regular season game planning, Hill is to run the ball at least 15 times a half..Aj Green and our other receivers are to give it a 110%..dont put rookies or other players trying to make the team in the game..who cares about injuries..We need to beat this Tampa Bay team in a meaningless preseason game because god forbid gruden thinks less of us"
Reply/Quote
djs7685 Wrote:I completely understand the cause for concern, and I also understand the bit of bashing to a certain new member that has been telling everyone they "don't have football knowledge". I get that the team was lackluster last week, but man, it has really been bringing out some interesting attitudes if you try to tell them that this shit happens with tons of good teams every year.

It's the overreactions that are making a lot of you sound ridiculous. I have my concerns too, but there's definitely a more sensible way to display them than what 90% of this board has been doing since the Bucs game. You'd think we got blown out in a damn playoff game again with how you guys are talking.

Hmm, you raise some good points. Why in the world would any fans possibly over-react a bit or become a little too concerned about a preseason contest? Let's see what one of our more 'sensible' posters has to say on the subject...

djs7685 Wrote:My only legitimate concern is how the hell does a team look so unprepared in primetime, even in preseason? That blows my mind.

djs7685 Wrote:Unprepared as in, they looked completely flat and like they weren't ready to play a football game. They came out in the first preseason game looking very good as they should have. This time they didn't. That's at least a little bit concerning to me because it has absolutely been a trend under Marvin Lewis in primetime football games.

Oh yeah, that's why.    Cheers
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 04:41 PM)xavierdude Wrote: Mike Brown to Coach Lewis before the Tampa Game..".Use regular season game planning, Hill is to run the ball at least 15 times a half..Aj Green and our other receivers are to give it a 110%..dont  put rookies or other players trying to make the team in the game..who cares about injuries..We need to beat this Tampa Bay team in a meaningless preseason game because god forbid gruden thinks less of us"

link?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 11:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm going to one-up you on the optimism and say even if we do lose to Oakland it "doesn't count" because we can still go 15-1! Ninja

It.... might.... happen..... Shocked Ninja Sick
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I thought we'd already put this to rest......everyone is basically at least halfway right.

Score doesn't matter, gameplan doesn't matter, but effort was concerning......this, according to the Bengals themselves.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 06:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hmm, you raise some good points. Why in the world would any fans possibly over-react a bit or become a little too concerned about a preseason contest? Let's see what one of our more 'sensible' posters has to say on the subject...

Oh yeah, that's why.    Cheers

Absolutely. They looked unprepared and it's just mind boggling that it even happened in preseason.

Like I said, the overreacting is what has bothered me. People saying the o-line was proven to be not good. People saying Andy and Gio suck now. People acting like we're going to lose regular season games due to looking flat in the preseason. I have no problem with those rationally displaying their concerns.

What I find silly is those that will never seem to be happy. I was told if they look good, it's not a big deal because they're "supposed" to look good. If they look bad, it's a huge ordeal and they complain about it. So where's the scenario that these people are excited and happy for the team? This isn't making stuff up. Just read WhoDeyWho and Shakes posts earlier. I'm sure these guys didn't mean this the way it obviously got taken, but how else am I supposed to take it? I said that they better get excited if we destroy the Bears and I was told "but that's what they're supposed to do". I guess there's no way to win in this case.
Reply/Quote
Wonder what the aftermath was in the locker room Monday night? Did Marvin give the "Be a ******' Pro II" speech? Maybe he's saving that for the Chicago game.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 10:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Marvin should check the Nielsen ratings before he decides if the team should give a damn, eh?

No... But there is all of this talk about being embarrassed nationally.  Nobody watched it. Nobody cares.  Some of us should be embarrassed for giving a shit about the 2nd preseason game for ***** sake.  We are some needy, co-dependent, bitchy, flighty fans...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 04:13 PM)djs7685 Wrote: There have been huge overreactions to this preseason game. You saying that nobody is acting that way is a flat out lie and I can probably find dozens of quotes to prove that to be incorrect.

You said people were acting like "it's the end of the world". I mostly see people who are concerned about the team overall, including Hue Jackson. I haven't seen any people specifically say Gio or AJ "suck" because of this preseason game. People may have voiced some concerns over AJ, but those concerns have been expressed many times in the past.

(08-28-2015, 06:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hmm, you raise some good points. Why in the world would any fans possibly over-react a bit or become a little too concerned about a preseason contest? Let's see what one of our more 'sensible' posters has to say on the subject...

Looks like Djs completely agrees with how I feel about it.

(08-28-2015, 09:03 PM)jason Wrote: No... But there is all of this talk about being embarrassed nationally.  Nobody watched it. Nobody cares.  Some of us should be embarrassed for giving a shit about the 2nd preseason game for ***** sake.  We are some needy, co-dependent, bitchy, flighty fans...

Right. We should wait until they look like that in a game that matters. Oh wait.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 04:13 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I wouldn't say "no one".

I've heard that Andy sucks. Gio sucks. A.J. is no longer top 10. Our offensive line was "proven to not be good". I've heard many other things because of a preseason game.....seriously. I don't know how you can sit here and say that nobody is overreacting.

I have a huge problem with what he said, he's playing the side where he can't lose and is basically allowed to be a hypocrite. If we win, oh well, shrug that off. If we lose, make a huge ordeal about effort. That's ridiculous. Either act like looking good and looking bad in preseason BOTH matter, or neither. I understand that it's not all about winning and losing, but either make the effort an equally big deal on both sides or on neither side. Give them props when they're successful and not just run to bash them when they're not. I keep my same feelings about certain things no matter what, I can't see how that's so difficult for everybody else. Preseason games don't matter to you guys when we look good, but they matter when we don't? Pffftt, get outta here with that logic. I'm sorry, I can't play that way.

There have been huge overreactions to this preseason game. You saying that nobody is acting that way is a flat out lie and I can probably find dozens of quotes to prove that to be incorrect.

You are reading way too much into this.  It's the preseason.  I'm not quite willing to jump off the wagon just yet.  Especially before a snap that actually counts is made.  That said I had pretty high expectations for this team coming into the season.  And perhaps if the Bengals didn't have a history of these types of performances, I wouldn't think too much about it.  But the fact is they do.  And quite frankly it's getting old.  A team as mentally fragile as the Bengals can't really afford games like this.  Even if they happen in the preseason.  I'm almost certain the coaching staff isn't taking it as lightly as you are.

If the expectations are high you expect them to perform at a high level.  And when they don't you'd find it troubling.

I mean if you can argue against that logic, you can argue anything.  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 09:03 PM)jason Wrote: No... But there is all of this talk about being embarrassed nationally.  Nobody watched it. Nobody cares.  Some of us should be embarrassed for giving a shit about the 2nd preseason game for ***** sake.  We are some needy, co-dependent, bitchy, flighty fans...

When does anybody care about the Bengals?  Gee, you may be onto something, here!
Reply/Quote

And, apparently, some are ostriches too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I hope the Steelers completely lay an egg tomorrow and look god-awful so I can see if all the "it's only preseason types" are going to be saying "It's only preseason, they're gonna go 11-5 again...wahhhh!"
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 11:53 AM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: Solly's concern is actually a great sign. I have never seen an NFL commentator so consistently get things wrong. He's the only commentator who's actually unbearable to listen to every Sunday because of the amount of things he's wrong or misinforms the viewer about. Not Joe Buck, not Collinsworth, not any of the legitimately good, professional ones people find ways to complain about. Solly's broadcasting strategy could be summed up as "Say 'The National Football League'" as many times as possible to use more words and sound smarter. He is Stephen A. Smith without the entertaining trolling.

that's the dumbest effin post I've ever read! Solly has forgotten more about football than you will ever know! Get a life away from homerism!!!

Reply/Quote

it's not just talk about being embarrassed nationally, we've done it 4 years in a row in post season play!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 11:41 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: You are reading way too much into this.  It's the preseason.  I'm not quite willing to jump off the wagon just yet.  Especially before a snap that actually counts is made.  That said I had pretty high expectations for this team coming into the season.  And perhaps if the Bengals didn't have a history of these types of performances, I wouldn't think too much about it.  But the fact is they do.  And quite frankly it's getting old.  A team as mentally fragile as the Bengals can't really afford games like this.  Even if they happen in the preseason.  I'm almost certain the coaching staff isn't taking it as lightly as you are.

If the expectations are high you expect them to perform at a high level.  And when they don't you'd find it troubling.

I mean if you can argue against that logic, you can argue anything.  

Exactly!!!  I don't see why it is so hard for some to see why others are a little concerned about that performance.  Like you, I said it earlier that I am not ready to write the season off after that game, but I am frustrated and wonder where the drive was?  Aside from a few players, they looked unprepared and not even wanting to be there.  That bothers me.  Hopefully this week is different.

I can understand if some fans aren't worried, but why is it so hard for them to see why others might be without calling us chicken littles, etc...?  I don't think anyone is less of a fan because they think differently than I do and aren't worried about how they performed in a pre-season game.  They just view things differently.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Forget the fact that is was a preseason game - it doesn't matter. Forget the fact that it was MNF and if it was or wasn't nationally televised.

The concern from a lot of fans was the dysfunction of the team, the apparent lack of effort or even caring. They looked like they didn't want to be there and had little concern about refining their craft. They looked OK with being beat down.

No matter whether it's the first practice in camp or whatever preseason game. You don't want to see your team looking indifferent to the execution and effort put forth in a practice or a mock game.

If any of you can't understand the concern over this, I don't know what else to say ?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 01:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If any of you can't understand the concern over this, I don't know what else to say ?

How about it was preseason and it doesn't matter? We see preseason after preseason where good teams like the steelers, or the colts, etc will go 0-4 in the preseason, and end up 12-4 or something in the regular season. Get stressed about something else in life that really matters.
Reply/Quote
Really the only thing I'm concerned with is "Was Fred Right?"

He made a thread how our first teamers against the Giants were playing against some scrubs and not to get too excited about looking sharp and dominating.

Then they played the Bucs and looked like a juvie team.

We should be more concerned if Fred was right IMO. [Image: happy.gif]

The only people I see upset about preseason negative comments are those who think our O-line is fantastic(okay some may just say stable)because of sack totals and pass pro PFF numbers.

Those never seem to add up when the Post Season comes into play.  Like Dalton's Marino-esque first 4 years numbers "leading" our team to the playoffs or AJ being top tier WR then lastly our D looking like they never learned how to rush the QB.

Your always gonna see Dalton doubters and McCarron cravers no matter if it's PS or full blown regular season.

Nobody really knows what kinds of strides this team has made in the off-season just yet.

It's just that looming concern that it's business as usual that is only natural to feel...  yes even if they haven't played a game that counts for the current season.

Them demons just ain't goin' away.  No matter how you try to block them out.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote