Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solomon Wilcots take on the Bengals
good read... Wonder if they brought in Dansby to help mentor Burfict & even jones to an extent. He seems pretty level headed throughout his career.

Wilcots says Bengals’ problem is not knowing how good they are

The 2015 Bengals may have been the best team in Cincinnati football history. They shot off to an 8-0 start that featured some of the best performances we’ve seen from a team in Bengals stripes. There was the thriller in Baltimore with Tyler Eifert’s non-touchdown and A.J. Green’s two-touchdowns. Then there was the Kansas City game that saw the Bengals win 36-21 but only allow the Chiefs to score field goals... albeit seven of them. And, you can’t forget the comeback win against the Seahawks that saw the Bengals put up an unbelievable effort to overcome a 17 point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat Seattle 27-24 in overtime. Many refer to it as the game that signaled Dalton had really taken the next step as it was clear his leadership and play helped the Bengals to claim the comeback win.

Unfortunately after a 10-2 start, Dalton fractured his thumb, and the rest is history, including a brutal playoff loss in which AJ McCarron nearly led the Bengals to victory before the team self destructed.

“I understand that when it comes to the Cincinnati Bengals the elephant in the room is what are you going to do in the postseason,” former Bengals safety and current CBS NFL analyst Solomon Wilcots told me this week. “But at the end of the day, still, we sit here 25, 26 years away from having won their last postseason game. They went through a stretch where they couldn’t spell playoffs and now they’ve been there five years in a row.”

It takes a really good football team to make it to the playoffs for five straight years. Only the Broncos, Packers and Patriots have joined the Bengals in all of the last five playoffs and there’s no denying those are all great teams.

“The Cincinnati Bengals should look at themselves, and rightfully so, as one of the best teams in the league. I think a lot of their problems, from what we saw with how the season ended, is a byproduct of not knowing how good you are,” Wilcots said.

“Teams are going to goad you into doing things so that they can get the advantage on the field because they don’t think they can beat you straight up. So they have to resort to other tactics to try to get you off your game.”

That’s essentially what we saw in the Wild Card round of the playoffs in January. During the regular season, the Bengals beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, and then when the Steelers came to Cincinnati, Dalton went down with his injury on the first offensive drive. As McCarron entered his first meaningful NFL game, even the biggest optimist couldn’t have thought the Bengals were going to win. And so when the Steelers returned to Cincinnati just a few weeks later we saw a coach pull a player’s hair, coaches on the field when they shouldn’t have been and a concussion-inducing hit on which the legality can be debated. For what it’s worth, Wilcots says Ryan Shazier’s hit on Giovani Bernard was not a by-the-rules tackle. And, we know the NFL has now made its rules more clear to indicate as much.

“To me, that’s going to be the real critical test for the Bengals,” Wilcots said. “Knowing how good you are, knowing that teams believe they can’t beat you straight up, because you came back and beat Seattle. You nearly beat the Super Bowl Champions, at home, with your backup quarterback, on a Monday night. You are good. But people are going to poke and prod and try to derail you because they don’t believe they can match up with the talent that the Bengals have. And everyone knows it.

“So what do they do? They see if they can rattle the cage of a Vontaze Burfict or an Adam Jones. See if you can get them to self destruct, because they don’t believe they can beat them. I think that’s what the Bengals need to focus on: knowing how good they are and if you’re good, act like it.”

That’s some pretty great advice for the Bengals. They’re not just a good team. They’re a great team and a team capable of not just winning one playoff game, but going on a deep playoff run. Great teams, like the Bengals, need to rise above adversity and play the game they’re paid to play like professionals.

“Their biggest area is maturity. It’s about being a confident team,” Wilcots said. “You are the defending champion and it’s not easy to win the AFC North, by the way. It’s a tough division, it’s a physical division. But I think they are the class of the division because they are a deeper, more talented team than Pittsburgh. There’s only one position that Pittsburgh is better at and that’s at quarterback. That’s why teams in the division resort to antics, because in their heart and in their mind don’t believe that they’re good enough to go toe-to-toe with the Bengals and beat them.”

This year, while they’ve lost some key pieces, the Bengals have also added talented players with the ability to produce and help work toward another trip to the playoffs. It’s not easy to get to the playoffs, and you don’t start off the season as a playoff team. It will take another great year in Cincinnati for the Bengals to get a shot to win in the postseason. But, Wilcots believes they’ll get there and repeat as division champions.

“They’re the class of the division, they’re the most talented team, they’re the defending champion, now they have to play with greater maturity. Play with class and professionalism,” Wilcots said. “Don’t beat yourself. Pittsburgh didn’t beat them in the playoff game, they beat themselves.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 03:49 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: good read... Wonder if they brought in Dansby to help mentor Burfict & even jones to an extent.  He seems pretty level headed throughout his career.

Wilcots says Bengals’ problem is not knowing how good they are

The 2015 Bengals may have been the best team in Cincinnati football history. They shot off to an 8-0 start that featured some of the best performances we’ve seen from a team in Bengals stripes. There was the thriller in Baltimore with Tyler Eifert’s non-touchdown and A.J. Green’s two-touchdowns. Then there was the Kansas City game that saw the Bengals win 36-21 but only allow the Chiefs to score field goals... albeit seven of them. And, you can’t forget the comeback win against the Seahawks that saw the Bengals put up an unbelievable effort to overcome a 17 point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat Seattle 27-24 in overtime. Many refer to it as the game that signaled Dalton had really taken the next step as it was clear his leadership and play helped the Bengals to claim the comeback win.

Unfortunately after a 10-2 start, Dalton fractured his thumb, and the rest is history, including a brutal playoff loss in which AJ McCarron nearly led the Bengals to victory before the team self destructed.

“I understand that when it comes to the Cincinnati Bengals the elephant in the room is what are you going to do in the postseason,” former Bengals safety and current CBS NFL analyst Solomon Wilcots told me this week. “But at the end of the day, still, we sit here 25, 26 years away from having won their last postseason game. They went through a stretch where they couldn’t spell playoffs and now they’ve been there five years in a row.”

It takes a really good football team to make it to the playoffs for five straight years. Only the Broncos, Packers and Patriots have joined the Bengals in all of the last five playoffs and there’s no denying those are all great teams.

“The Cincinnati Bengals should look at themselves, and rightfully so, as one of the best teams in the league. I think a lot of their problems, from what we saw with how the season ended, is a byproduct of not knowing how good you are,” Wilcots said.

“Teams are going to goad you into doing things so that they can get the advantage on the field because they don’t think they can beat you straight up. So they have to resort to other tactics to try to get you off your game.”

That’s essentially what we saw in the Wild Card round of the playoffs in January. During the regular season, the Bengals beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, and then when the Steelers came to Cincinnati, Dalton went down with his injury on the first offensive drive. As McCarron entered his first meaningful NFL game, even the biggest optimist couldn’t have thought the Bengals were going to win. And so when the Steelers returned to Cincinnati just a few weeks later we saw a coach pull a player’s hair, coaches on the field when they shouldn’t have been and a concussion-inducing hit on which the legality can be debated. For what it’s worth, Wilcots says Ryan Shazier’s hit on Giovani Bernard was not a by-the-rules tackle. And, we know the NFL has now made its rules more clear to indicate as much.

“To me, that’s going to be the real critical test for the Bengals,” Wilcots said. “Knowing how good you are, knowing that teams believe they can’t beat you straight up, because you came back and beat Seattle. You nearly beat the Super Bowl Champions, at home, with your backup quarterback, on a Monday night. You are good. But people are going to poke and prod and try to derail you because they don’t believe they can match up with the talent that the Bengals have. And everyone knows it.

“So what do they do? They see if they can rattle the cage of a Vontaze Burfict or an Adam Jones. See if you can get them to self destruct, because they don’t believe they can beat them. I think that’s what the Bengals need to focus on: knowing how good they are and if you’re good, act like it.”

That’s some pretty great advice for the Bengals. They’re not just a good team. They’re a great team and a team capable of not just winning one playoff game, but going on a deep playoff run. Great teams, like the Bengals, need to rise above adversity and play the game they’re paid to play like professionals.

“Their biggest area is maturity. It’s about being a confident team,” Wilcots said. “You are the defending champion and it’s not easy to win the AFC North, by the way. It’s a tough division, it’s a physical division. But I think they are the class of the division because they are a deeper, more talented team than Pittsburgh. There’s only one position that Pittsburgh is better at and that’s at quarterback. That’s why teams in the division resort to antics, because in their heart and in their mind don’t believe that they’re good enough to go toe-to-toe with the Bengals and beat them.”

This year, while they’ve lost some key pieces, the Bengals have also added talented players with the ability to produce and help work toward another trip to the playoffs. It’s not easy to get to the playoffs, and you don’t start off the season as a playoff team. It will take another great year in Cincinnati for the Bengals to get a shot to win in the postseason. But, Wilcots believes they’ll get there and repeat as division champions.

“They’re the class of the division, they’re the most talented team, they’re the defending champion, now they have to play with greater maturity. Play with class and professionalism,” Wilcots said. “Don’t beat yourself. Pittsburgh didn’t beat them in the playoff game, they beat themselves.”

THE BENGAL COACHES SHOULD PASTE THIS MESSAGE TO EVERY PLAYER'S LOCKER!!!
Reply/Quote

By far my favorite line in that whole excerpt.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Superbly written....I've told friends here that it was very hard for me as a diehard fan to say that the Bengals were a really good team. I finally gave in and immersed myself in that thought at the start of last season.

The Bengals don't just need to know how good they are.

They need to:

Believe it..
Perform like it..
Demand that every player plays that way..

Who-Dey!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 04:08 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: “They’re the class of the division, they’re the most talented team, they’re the defending champion, now they have to play with greater maturity. Play with class and professionalism,” Wilcots said. “Don’t beat yourself. Pittsburgh didn’t beat them in the playoff game, they beat themselves.”

By far my favorite line in that whole excerpt.

Agree with his comments all around.  When my dad asks me (redskins fan) who he best team is he thinks it's cliche when I say the bengals in the AFC.  But honestly they are a bad *** team with talent top to bottom.  No doubt in my mind they are more talented than any team they line up against when looking across the board.

Qb (better than most)
RB Much better than most
WR top 5 WR and if we include TE not many teams are better (when healthy)
OL- maybe 3-5 better

DL- 2 elite players and overall top 5-10
Lb - who knows but potential to be top 5 (Dansby, Rey M, Burfict... Solid & scary especially in nickel over last year)
DB - may be the only place we would see much competition.  We have iloka and jones.  If some younger guys step up (Williams, dre, Dennard) we would win this matchup more often than not as well.

It would be interesting to compare this to all 31 other teams and see where the bengals don't have the advantage at least 4 position groups to 3
Reply/Quote
Good read and agree with it all.

favorite line was " Only the Bronco's, Packers, and Patriots have joined the Bengals in the Playoffs the last five years"
or something like that.

But article was spot on with my beliefs.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 04:22 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Good read and agree with it all.

favorite line was " Only the Bronco's, Packers, and Patriots have joined the Bengals in the Playoffs the last five years"
or something like that.

But article was spot on with my beliefs.

Agreed and the Squeelers aren't one of those teams, which makes it doubly nice.

Reply/Quote
Solomon is right.  The Bengals are going to go into games this year and both teams on the field are going to be fully aware that the Bengals are going to win the game. Bengals show up, execute, play with passion, play as a team, do their job and don't get tricked into stupid penalties. They will dominate.

Play on the razors edge, but don't cross the line.

Can't wait.

WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boyz are Back in Town.

The Boyz are Back in Town.

The Boyz are Back.

The Boyz are Back.
Reply/Quote
For me, the key is when Wilcots talked about other teams goading them, because those teams don't believe they can beat them straight up.

The Steelers know they get coddled and preferential treatment from the NFL, which has allowed them to become very, very good at goading the Bengals.

The Bengals have to stop responding to that foolishness and just play in your face methodical football like the Ravens do against them.

I believe if they can win those first 2 games, and can stay relatively healthy .... WATCH OUT for the black and orange at that point!!
Reply/Quote
One of the more frustrating aspects of this team's recent playoff history is that it seems the coaches go in to a conservative shell and that isn't what got them there. I'm not blaming all the losses on the coaching staff, but it is clearly a factor and the issue with assistants being distracted with interviews for HC jobs isn't helping either.

This year, it would appear that there is stability in the coaching ranks for the first time in a while. When the Bengals reach the playoffs (and, yes, they WILL reach the playoffs) they need to have a killer mentality that the opposition is standing in the way of what they want. They need to play aggressive. They need to get ahead and KEEP THE THROTTLE DOWN. They need to take chances and blitz from time to time. And perhaps most importantly, they need to focus on the rotation during the regular season at a number of position groups so their guys are not dead come the playoffs from playing 99% of snaps. That badge of honor gives you nothing in postseason preparedness.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 12:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of the more frustrating aspects of this team's recent playoff history is that it seems the coaches go in to a conservative shell and that isn't what got them there.  I'm not blaming all the losses on the coaching staff, but it is clearly a factor and the issue with assistants being distracted with interviews for HC jobs isn't helping either.

This year, it would appear that there is stability in the coaching ranks for the first time in a while.  When the Bengals reach the playoffs (and, yes, they WILL reach the playoffs) they need to have a killer mentality that the opposition is standing in the way of what they want.  They need to play aggressive.  They need to get ahead and KEEP THE THROTTLE DOWN.  They need to take chances and blitz from time to time.  And perhaps most importantly, they need to focus on the rotation during the regular season at a number of position groups so their guys are not dead come the playoffs from playing 99% of snaps.  That badge of honor gives you nothing in postseason preparedness.

I think one of the positive aspects of this assessment is the fact that, as far as experience goes, this coaching staff has the most years of experience since Lewis has been the HC.  I know experience doesn't always compute to positive results, but we'll see a week from tomorrow!!
Reply/Quote
I agree. Great read with some great points in there (not to be nitpicky, but, I think the Steelers have better receivers than the Bengals as well) that should be pointed out to the Bengal players.
Reply/Quote
Translation: Get your heads out of your asses and just play football!
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 12:50 PM)Beaker Wrote: Translation: Get your heads out of your asses and just play championship caliber football!

Fixed it for you!
Reply/Quote