Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solstice-something I never knew
I was not aware that the earliest sunset occurs well before the solstice. In Cincinnati it looks like it’s around Dec 7. Hard to believe I never knew that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 06:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I was not aware that the earliest sunset occurs well before the solstice. In Cincinnati it looks like it’s around Dec 7. Hard to believe I never knew that.

Possibly because Cincinnati isn't located right dead smack on the equator or the tropic of Cancer... Something about being in an odd spot on a big round globe(ish) thingie ya think?  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I have 3 cars. Two of them are an Equinox and a Solstice.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Dudes. I just came in from the garage. What the hell are you guys talking about?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 09:44 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Dudes. I just came in from the garage. What the hell are you guys talking about?

Just something I never knew.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 09:33 PM)grampahol Wrote: Possibly because Cincinnati isn't located right dead smack on the equator or the tropic of Cancer... Something about being in an odd spot on a big round globe(ish) thingie ya think?  Cool

Incorrect. Closer to the equator the earliest sunset occurs ever earlier.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 09:44 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Dudes.  I just came in from the garage.  What the hell are you guys talking about?

Days getting longer.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 09:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Incorrect.  Closer to the equator the earliest sunset occurs ever earlier.

For some reason I heard this in a Dwight Schrute voice.

[Image: WnatiHzT_400x400.jpeg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 10:22 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: For some reason I heard this in a Dwight Schrute voice.

[Image: WnatiHzT_400x400.jpeg]

Good call because that was kind of in my mind.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 10:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Days getting longer.

Well now it makes sense.  Thank you!
[Image: confused-no.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 06:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I was not aware that the earliest sunset occurs well before the solstice. In Cincinnati it looks like it’s around Dec 7. Hard to believe I never knew that.

Winter solstice is the shortest day, not the earliest sunset.

Here in my neck of the woods sunsets are getting later each day, but so is the sunrise!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2021, 10:17 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Winter solstice is the shortest day, not the earliest sunset.

Here in my neck of the woods sunsets are getting later each day, but so is the sunrise!

Yeah I just always assumed solstice was latest sunrise and earliest sunset and then they began reversing.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2021, 10:17 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Winter solstice is the shortest day, not the earliest sunset.

believe it stays about the same for 3 days around the winter solstice.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 09:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Incorrect.  Closer to the equator the earliest sunset occurs ever earlier.
You could be right about sunset and sunrise, but the seasons are the following..
We're located much closer to the Tropics of Cancer. When the sun hits the tropic of Capricorn days start getting longer until it hits cancer. When it crosses the equator it's either the first day of spring or fall depending on which direction its going. For us the first day of summer, the longest day of the year is when it reaches Cancer then it reverses and heads toward Capricorn, shortest day of the  year where it is eventually the first day of winter..
It ain't rocket science..  Cool     The first day of summer is when days start getting shorter..longer on the first day of winter..
This has been known since the days of Copernicus.. He's been dead for a little bit...even before I was born..and that's REALLY old..lol

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN..Your 3rd grade science lesson of the day!

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 11:37 AM)grampahol Wrote: You could be right about sunset and sunrise, but the seasons are the following..
We're located much closer to the Tropics of Cancer. When the sun hits the tropic of Capricorn days start getting longer until it hits cancer. When it crosses the equator it's either the first day of spring or fall depending on which direction its going. For us the first day of summer, the longest day of the year is when it reaches Cancer then it reverses and heads toward Capricorn, shortest day of the  year where it is eventually the first day of winter..
It ain't rocket science..  Cool     The first day of summer is when days start getting shorter..longer on the first day of winter..
This has been known since the days of Copernicus.. He's been dead for a little bit...even before I was born..and that's REALLY old..lol

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN..Your 3rd grade science lesson of the day!

Yes I'm aware of that.  It was one specific thing I did not know.

Reply/Quote
I'm doing my best to follow along, but could you guys slow down?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 11:48 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm doing my best to follow along, but could you guys slow down?
[Image: giphy.gif]

From the beginning..
A is for APPLE (kind of like the Bengals CB)
B is for Bozo..the team owner
C is for cat. A Bengal is a large cat

You'll just have to look up the other 23..  Tongue

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 12:58 AM)grampahol Wrote: From the beginning..
A is for APPLE (kind of like the Bengals CB)
B is for Bozo..the team owner
C is for cat. A Bengal is a large cat

You'll just have to look up the other 23..  Tongue

Oh thanks a lot gramps.  There goes gettin any sleep tonight.  Let's see, D is for Dalton.  And I don't know why that came to mind first.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 01:12 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Oh thanks a lot gramps.  There goes gettin any sleep tonight.  Let's see, D is for Dalton.  And I don't know why that came to mind first.

D is for Damned!  Mike Brown is STILL kicking?  Shocked

Reply/Quote