Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Solution To The Sack Problem?
I was watching every sack of Burrow against the Titans, trying to see what wrong, and seeing if it could be fixed.

On the first sack, it was a play action and Burrow got swallowed up before the receivers could get into their routes. It was horrible blocking, but he could have dumped it off to Mixon over the middle and Mixon probably picks up 7 yards. Burrow should have dumped that off, especially since it was first down.

On the second sack, Prince just stood still and let the defender run by him. Miscommunication? He turns to the guard like he was expecting inside help. We can't have that, so hopefully we're clearing that up in meetings and practices.

On the third sack, Jonah got bull-rushed and Mixon missed the block on the blitzing DB. If Mixon blocks the blitzer, I feel pretty good that Burrow would have been able to escape the defender that bull-rushed Jonah (assuming he would have seen him out of the corner of his eye or sensed it when the d-lineman was close enough).

Fourth sack was a screen gone wrong and then Burrow tried to run. Can't really blame the line for that.

Fifth sack, the line was holding up ok but then Adeniji got beat.

Sixth sack, Adenjini got beat and then so did Prince. That was bad.

Sixth sack was another miscommunication where a guy came unblocked. Bad, but fixable.

Seventh sack, line got destroyed. That one was bad.

I also think we need to keep our backs in more to block or they need to do a better job when they do stay in to block (should be a major focus in meetings) and Burrow also needs to just make check down throws to them sometimes.

Basically, I think we need to keep our backs in to block more and Burrow needs to dump it off to them when the rush comes fast (I realize it's not that easy to react so quickly when he gets swallowed up without much time, but he needs to work on it).

I'm not AS concerned anymore because I think we can fix those problems.

Reply/Quote
[Image: 62psbd.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I really think it's time Pollack gives Carman the nod at RG. Adenji is just too weak, I watched him get ragdolled far too many times in there. Carman will at least be able to stand his ground against the bull rush. Also, Adeniji had a bad miscommunication with Prince which lead to a free rusher on Joe. His one strength over Carman (I assume) was superior communication.

Also, Carman has a much higher ceiling and may be a starter next season so get him in there now imo.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I don't think there's a uniform pants made large enough to hold Burrow's sac..... Oh, wait...
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I know everybody loves Frank Pollack, but honestly if you're missing assignments and having communication issues in the 22nd game of the season across multiple positions, that's the coaching.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Getting the Chiefs offense to turn the ball over to offset the x amount of sacks we may or may not give up isn't a bad recipe for success as it was proven against TN.

Apples to oranges, different/better team. Don't forget we almost had 2 picks against the Chiefs. And our defense is hungry. It's time we finally see a full game from the offense and defense.
Reply/Quote
Boxers instead of Briefs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 07:25 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I don't think there's a uniform pants made large enough to hold Burrow's sac..... Oh, wait...

(01-26-2022, 09:36 AM)Synric Wrote: Boxers instead of Briefs.

This is quickly turning into an Andy’s schlong thread lol
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:53 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: This is quickly turning into an Andy’s schlong thread lol

Discussing the Oline,,,. Dead Horse
Reply/Quote
Didn't the reporter at half time mention how Zac thought another problem was waiting until the last second to hike the ball? Thus, the pass rushers had it easy for when to time their Burrow onslaught. Wasn't Burrow sacked more in the first half? I'm hopeful the coaches, OL, and Burrow have a solid game plan to avoid Burrow getting sacked too much against KC.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:04 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Didn't the reporter at half time mention how Zac thought another problem was waiting until the last second to hike the ball? Thus, the pass rushers had it easy for when to time their Burrow onslaught. Wasn't Burrow sacked more in the first half? I'm hopeful the coaches, OL, and Burrow have a solid game plan to avoid Burrow getting sacked too much against KC.

Burrow mentioned that his helmet communications was cutting in and out right before the half.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:08 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Burrow mentioned that his helmet communications was cutting in and out right before the half.

Add that problem to the loudness of KC's fans/stadium, then I'm certain the coaches and players are developing a plan for how to handle such problems this week. 

Jeff Saturday made an interesting point this week on ESPN. He said nobody needs to worry about Burrow with the noise, he's the QB and can see everything that's happening. He said the challenge is the OL won't be able to communicate with each other effectively when they need help or a play is changed. He said the noise can also impact the skills players.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:13 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Add that problem to the loudness of KC's fans/stadium, then I'm certain the coaches and players are developing a plan for how to handle such problems this week. 

Jeff Saturday made an interesting point this week on ESPN. He said nobody needs to worry about Burrow with the noise, he's the QB and can see everything that's happening. He said the challenge is the OL won't be able to communicate with each other effectively when they need help or a play is changed. He said the noise can also impact the skills players.

I think Burrow is on another Revenge Tour - he wants to stick it to everyone that said 'he has no chance'. He knows what's at stake, and like a true hunter he hasn't taken his eyes off the target in pursuit.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 05:42 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I really think it's time Pollack gives Carman the nod at RG.  Adenji is just too weak, I watched him get ragdolled far too many times in there.  Carman will at least be able to stand his ground against the bull rush.  Also, Adeniji had a bad miscommunication with Prince which lead to a free rusher on Joe.  His one strength over Carman (I assume) was superior communication.  

Also, Carman has a much higher ceiling and may be a starter next season so get him in there now imo.

Hindsight being 20/20, I think Carman is stronger, but Adeniji is quicker.  Clearly, strength was needed the last game.  Simmons is better than anyone the Chiefs have, so I am not sure about the matchup there.  I would prefer Carman if he is going against Jones.  
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 04:08 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 62psbd.jpg]

Dude for real lmao. The solution to the offensive line is on other teams right now. FA fixes our line. Just like it fixed our defense
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:04 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Didn't the reporter at half time mention how Zac thought another problem was waiting until the last second to hike the ball? Thus, the pass rushers had it easy for when to time their Burrow onslaught. Wasn't Burrow sacked more in the first half? I'm hopeful the coaches, OL, and Burrow have a solid game plan to avoid Burrow getting sacked too much against KC.

He was sacked 5 times in the first half and 4 in the 2nd

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 12:02 PM)pally Wrote: He was sacked 5 times in the first half and 4 in the 2nd

Well that's a bummer, the nearly equal distribution makes my simple-football mind conclude nothing worked throughout the course of the game to fix the problem. Whatever
Reply/Quote
The Titans game was an anomaly.

Yes the OL has been poor all year, but they won't give up 9 sacks to the Chiefs. The Chiefs had 4 against us last game. I would expect something along those lines...and that is manageable.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:13 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Add that problem to the loudness of KC's fans/stadium, then I'm certain the coaches and players are developing a plan for how to handle such problems this week. 
KC fans are mocking Burrow's comment that SEC stadiums are louder than NFL stadiums. Making it like he is some kind of idiot.

But Arrowhead holds 79,000 fans. LSU's stadium holds 102,000 fans. Alabama's stadium holds 100,000 fans.  And those are rowdy college fans. Burrow is not going to be intimidated by Arrowhead.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 01:15 PM)Nepa Wrote: KC fans are mocking Burrow's comment that SEC stadiums are louder than NFL stadiums. Making it like he is some kind of idiot.

But Arrowhead holds 79,000 fans. LSU's stadium holds 102,000 fans. Alabama's stadium holds 100,000 fans.  And those are rowdy college fans. Burrow is not going to be intimidated by Arrowhead.

What's also unusual about this media narrative surrounding the noise in the KC stadium being a problem for Burrow is that this isn't really news. We already know the road team offense in most NFL games has to deal with loud fans. We already know it is a barrier to overcome, but the media presents it as if Burrow and the Bengals have never faced such a challenge. I assume the announcers will make it a constant talking point during the game.
Reply/Quote